Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

The Prophet said:

It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan: Recite and rise in status, recite as you used to recite in the world, for your status will be at the last verse that you recite.

This tradition has been recorded in both Tirmidi Shareef and Sunan Abi Dawood and has been classified as Sahih (authentic) by the late Muhaddith (Scholar of Hadith) Sheikh Al-albani.

The word Companion in this Hadith has been understood to mean a person who has memorized the Quran. As is evident by the following words of the Hadith "Recite and rise in status" that with each memorized Verse which a person recites, he will rise a rank in Paradise.

The Quran has more than 6000 Verses. Imagine how many ranks a person who has memorized the Quran will rise in Paradise. Not only this. Such a person will be in the company if the noble Angels as the Prophet has mentioned in the following authentic Tradition:

The likeness of the one who reads Qur’aan and memorizes it is that he is with the righteous honorable scribes. The likeness of the one who reads it and tries hard to memorize it even though it is difficult for him, he will have two rewards.

Additionally, just consider for a moment the joy of knowing that one has the Words of God, the all powerful and Supreme Ruler of all that exists, in his heart. The Words of a Being the likeness of whom does not exist. Truly, it is a feeling that cannot be described in words.
    Of course, Memorizing the Quran appears to be a daunting task. This is especially true if you do not know how to go about Memorizing such a large Book.

My story

It took me 10 years to Memorize the Quran. This was because of lack of knowledge of proper memorizing technique. I used the technique used in Islamic Madrassas. Unfortunately, this technique did not suit a person like me who had horrible memory.

God has blessed me with a strong short term memory but my long term memory is the worst on the planet. After having memorized 20 Juz I fell ill due to a mental illness. After I recovered I had pretty much given up all hope of memorizing the Quran. However, God had ordained that I memorize it so I ended up doing so.

Nevertheless, after I memorized it I was faced with the problem of transferring what I had learned into my long term memory. It was then that God guided me to a technique which has been known to cognitive psychologists for a long time. A technique I used and am still using to transfer what I have memories into my long term memory and it has worked wonders.

Spaced Repetition

Spaced Repetition is a technique in which a person practices recalling what he has memorized at intervals of increasing time. Dong so transfers what one has memorized into long term memory. For those interested in reading about this phenomenon in detail I would recommend the following website.

Spaced Repetition Details

For those who do not have the time to understand this phenomenon just remember this. If you want to transfer information into long term you need to recall the information just when you are about to forget it. After each time you recall it the next interval required for recall the information in order to prevent forgetfulness increases. Eventually, a time comes when you only have to recall what you have memorized once a year!

At this point you are probably wondering how does one know when one is about to forget what he or she has memorized. Well, this is based on a formula which was devised by a Polish scientist after extensive research and experimentation. The formula is implemented by free software such as Anki. You can use this software to schedule when to remind you to recall what you have memorized from the Quran.

My Experience

Prior to using spaced repetition, it would take me fifteen to twenty minutes to review a page I had memorized. However, with the help of spaced repetition I was able to review a page within 3 to 5 minutes and a complete Juz within one to one and a half hour! And this was for a guy like me who has horrible memory. And the best part is that I felt no tension while reviewing.

Memorizing the Quran had become so easy!

This technique is often used by people who learn languages and need to memorize large lists of vocabulary. Psychologists are shocked that schools do not implement spaced repetition to teach information. They say not using this system despite the research which supports its effectiveness is like a person who has weak eyesight but refuses to wear glasses despite knowing that glasses can help him see properly!

Anki

Anki is a free program which you can use to memorize the Quran. It implements spaced repetition. It is available for free for both computers and android devices. Install it on your android phone and revise the Quran whenever you have free time anywhere!

Using Anki is simple. Once you have downloaded the software you just need to create flashcards for what you have memorized. How I do this is that I put a page of the Quran I have memorized into the Back of the Card and the page before that into the Front of the card. Then I enter the phrase "Recite the page which follows" in the Front of the card. Whenever, it is time to review the page, the program shows me the Front of the card and I see the "Review Next Page" command and I try to recall what I have memorized.

An Alternative Method

If you find using software difficult then you can implement spaced repletion manually for what you have memorized. Simply follow this formula. Whenever you memorize a portion of the Quran, review it 1 day after you have memorized it. Then review it after 3 days.

After that take the last interval which in this case is 3 days, divide it by 2, round it up, and then add the result to the previous interval to get the next interval. So in this case the next interval would be 5 days since 3 divided by 2 is 1.5. Round it up and you get 2. Add that to 3 and you get 5.

When you revise on the 5th day then to get the next interval divide 5 by 2 and you get 2.5. Round it up and you get 3. Add that to 5 and you have 8 days which is the next interval.

After eight days to get the next interval divide 8 by 2 and you get 4. Add 4 to 8 and you get 12 days which is the next interval.

Using this method you will Insha Allah never forget the Quran and you will feel no pressure when reviewing.

Note: In case you cannot completely recall what you have memorized don't hesitate to look at what you have missed. With time whatever you have memorized will become a part of long term memory and you will not forget anything!

For detailed instructions on how to use Anki here is the manual for the program
    . There are also other programs you can use for spaced repetition but I found this one to be the best. If you have any questions on how to use the program or spaced repetition simply ask in this thread and I will tyr to answer them!
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 06-07-14 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

I wil try this inshaAllah.
    “Verily, I constantly renew my Islam until this very day, as up to now, I do not consider myself to have ever been a good Muslim.” Sheikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Narrated by Ibn-al Qayyim in ‘Madarij as-Salikin” 1/218)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to use this to review already memorized Quran?

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Well if you put the pages in the program, it will automatically show you the pages you need to review according to the spaced repetition formula. So if you memorized one page today and put it in the program, it will show you the Page when it is time to review the page.

If you have already Memorized the Quran, then you can manually put in the pages or a set of pages. For example, if you review 9 pages, either you can put in the photos of the 9 pages in the program or you can add a sentence in the program which says "Review these 9 pages." Then you can place a reference to the pages after that sentence. When the Program tells you review these 9 pages you can review it.

Hope that answers your question. If it doesn't let me know so I can clarify further.
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 06-11-13 at 02:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jazak'Allah Khairan akhi,

Alhumdulillah I have completed my Hifz just this October on 5th.

Let me tell you my status.
    The first 10 juz that i memorized are very easy to recall for me even after 15-20 days (Juz 25-30,15,1-3)
    The 2nd 10 juz that i memorized are medium - like if i review it once then it becomes easy but i need to review it once (within 45m to 1 hour) (Juz 4-13)
    The 3rd 10 Juz are quite weak. It takes me more time to recall over 1 hour for a juz and after 1 get it back when i go through my cycle of 20 days the juz coming back are again weak. (Juz 14,16-24)

What I have been doing is revisin 1/2 Juz from 1st 10 Juz, 1/2 from 2nd 10 and 1/2 from 3rd 10 Juz daily. So 1 1/2 Juz per day.

I have made a schedule using spaced repetition treating the 3rd 10 Juz as New Memorization. (Juz 14,16-24). Please check and suggest changes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...it?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-d...it?usp=sharing

How to put photos of the pages?
    Last edited by nidaelahi; 06-11-13 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

According to the way you have inserted the cards, the 17th Juz is being repeated after 19 days. I think you entered in all the cards at once. What I would recommend is that you take Juz 16 to 24 and enter one Juz in the program a day. The program will then ask you to repeat the Juz after 3 or 4 days depending on if you choose easy or good for the Juz. By adding cards in this manner you will allow the program to set up the dates as opposed to you trying to set them up. So add Juz 16 today and then click good or easy. Then add Juz 17 tomorrow and Juz 18 day after and so on.I hope you understand what I mean?

As for photos, if you have scanned pages then you can add them by clicking on the image icon in the program when you are inserting information into the front or back of the card. If you do not have scanned copies of the Quran then you can get the 16 page and 13 page Quran jpgs from the links below.

16 Line Quran
    13 Line Quran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jazak'Allah Khairan bro,

Ok I understood... I deleted all the cards... but im starting with 18 (1) today so i'll put this card now .. its due for revision tomo... and ill continue adding daily from 18(2),19(1),19(2)....16(1) and complete the cycle with 17 (2) Insha'Allah.

This program is really awesome i think.. I just reviewed my 16 (1) which usually would come again after entire cycle... I was able to read it within 14 minutes Alhumdulillah.

I think I will go through every Juz of Quran with this method Insha'Allah... After i complete 16-24 i can put them in old revision and do my other Juz...

I understood how to put images.. Jazak'Allah Khairan... Ill just put the first page of every part i read there...

So Ill keep adding new cards daily and it should give me the right schedule

Also can you please tell me how to add Arabic text in cards... I want to make a deck for Quranic Terms Vocab too 80% words

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

You could type Arabic using the virtual keyboard option that comes with Windows after enabling left to right languages in Control Panel. Or you get take a screenshot of the book if you have the ebook using the Print Screen button on your keyboard and then use paint to cut the words and use them as images. If you need instructions with the keyboard let me know. Also let me know the version of Windows you have. I think there is a Thread in the Sticky Section of the Learn Arabic Forum which tells you how to type Arabic characters. Try it out but if you are still confused then let me know!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    518 Post(s)

I'm gonna give this software a try.

An excellent thread.

YarhamukAllah akhi.
    There is rest only in the aakhira.
    Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.

- Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
    and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
    then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.

- Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

I saw a dog without any clothes on .
    That's right, a nude dog.
    The Deepweb is disgusting.
    - Unknown -

Links
    The Middle Road - At-Tanzil - Hifz Thread - Muslim Healthy Living
    Inheritors of Qur'aan

Download Links

Muslim
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assalamu alaykum, this seems interesting and I would like to give it a proper try. I've already downloaded Anki; but can you give me a schedule / method of using this programme.. I'm a bit confused, like:

For example,

I have surahs I have memorized before - what to do with them?
    And when I memorize a new surah - what do I do?

How should I make my deck? I am bit confused, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
    You could type Arabic using the virtual keyboard option that comes with Windows after enabling left to right languages in Control Panel. Or you get take a screenshot of the book if you have the ebook using the Print Screen button on your keyboard and then use paint to cut the words and use them as images. If you need instructions with the keyboard let me know. Also let me know the version of Windows you have. I think there is a Thread in the Sticky Section of the Learn Arabic Forum which tells you how to type Arabic characters. Try it out but if you are still confused then let me know!
    Actually im using an iMac... I'll use the screenshots .. wanna increase my vocab in Arabic maybe 5 words a day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neighbour View Post
    Assalamu alaykum, this seems interesting and I would like to give it a proper try. I've already downloaded Anki; but can you give me a schedule / method of using this programme.. I'm a bit confused, like:

For example,

I have surahs I have memorized before - what to do with them?
    And when I memorize a new surah - what do I do?

How should I make my deck? I am bit confused, thanks.

Walykumussalaam,

well you should start by assuming you have nothing memorised.

eg.

Supposing you have Surah Yaseen,Mulk, Sajdah and Dhukkan memorised.

Day 1 - I will create a card of Surah Yaseen and review it then click on Good.
    Day 2 - Create a card of Mulk and review it that day and click on good.
    Day 3 - Surah Sajdah
    Day 4 - Surah Dhukkan.

After these 4 cards are created and assuming you memorized on those days.. The software will now inform you when you have to review the cards.

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Neighbor if the above post by nidaelahi clears your confusion, great. And if not let me know I'll try to guide you through it. I'll have to do it tomorrow since its 10 20 pm and I am totally bombed due to overwork. Additionally, I'll also put up tips on how you can modify the underlying formula Anki uses in case someone has problems with the formula showing cards after too long. I had to lower the formula easy factor for myself since my memory is just horrible!

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Just ate some food. Has put my mind back in place.

For the Easy Factor here what you need to know. The program actually uses an easy factor of 250% which means basically that you can expect the next time interval to be 2.5% of the previous one. So if your last interval was 5 days, the next would be 5 times 2.5% which roughly 12 or 13 days. Using this Easy Factor you only revise what you put in 3 times a month max and it should go into your long term memory so that when you review it after a month you should have no problem.

However, if you are like me - the genetically mutated specie who can't remember anything when it comes to long term - then perhaps you would like to decrease the Easy Factor to shorten the time interval between reviews and thus increasing the number of reviews. This is only needed if you do not have above average or average memory. Most people do not need to change this. This Easy Factor is based on extensive research and so it suffices the general population.

If you feel the need to change it then you can do so by click on a Deck and then click on the Options button below.. A screen should open up. Look for the field labeled Starting Ease. You can lower the number there from 250 to anywhere between 130. Anything below is useless, will defeat the purpose of the program, cause to malfunction, and is not needed.

Do this only if you think the original formula is spacing your reviews to far.

As for Neighbor who asked about using this program. Please let me know the Surahs you have memorized so that I can better guide you. Thanks!

Muslim
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I sent you a PM `akhi, you can put the reply here if you want in case it'll help others

And thank you also nidaelahi for trying to help.

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Additionally, I urge everyone who reads this thread to pass on knowledge about spaced repetition to everyone they know. This phenomenon offers unlimited possibilities. You can memorize anything including Hadith, Fiqh, Names of Hadith Narrators, Medical Diseases (for medical students), Math formulas, etc.

This program will help you in every field of knowledge be it wordy or for the Hereafter. There was one person who memorized over 200,000 facts using this program! I have read one person say that this didn't work while everyone else agrees to its effectiveness.

The only catch is that you must review at the time scheduled. If you do not then you will forget. Anyway, pass on the knowledge and gain Swab for everyone who benefits from it!

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Ok, Neighbor here is the first screen shot you will see when you open up the program

Screen1.png

I think when you run it the first time you might not see it but if you do simply use the profile which already exists. Click it and Click Open

Then you will see this screenshot

screen2.png

Now Click on Create Deck Option below

A screen will open up asking you for the name of the Deck. Enter the Same of the Surah, the pages, of which you want to put in it. For example, since you have memorized Surah 94 Enter As-Shrah as the Name

Then click Ok

Now Click on the Name of the Surah and the following Screen will show up

screen3.png

On this Screen click the Add button and the following screen will pop up

screen5.png

Now on this screen you will see two boxes one labeled Front and the Second labeled Back

On the front enter Revise Surah As-Shrah

And on the Back you can enter the page number on which the Surah is found in your Quran or you can add a picture of the page which has Ash-Shrah on it by clicking the insert image button which is shown in the picture below

screen4.png

Finally, click Add.

Now If you want add another Surah or Click Close

Now you will have returned to the previous screen. Click study and once you have reviewed the Surah choose a grade as to if it was easy or hard. The program will schedule the Next Review. All you need to do is click the study button when the time comes. That's it!

Whenever, you want to add a new Surah just repeat the above steps! If you want to break up a Surah when you get to the long ones, just enter the part you want to revise in the Front of the Card as "Recite first 3 pages from this Surah." Then either add a picture of those three pages on the Back portion of the card or add their numbers. That way you can break up the longer Surahs. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 06-11-13 at 06:21 PM.

Muslim
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ahh, sounds good I will try it out Insha Allah.

Very helpful post, JazakAllah Khair.

So when I choose the grade on this Surah Insha Allah, do I repeat the same process you mentioned with another Surah and on and on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assalaamualykum,

Brother Zeeshan i got a readymade Deck with 80% of words of Quran and also Meanings of words from Quran Juz 30 backwards. So i just imported and i have started studying daily 20 words Alhumdulillah

here is the link

https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/arabic

Jazak'Allah Khairan akhi... you have really helped alot... Im sure i can follow a structured way to learn Quranic words now and not to mention Strengthen my Hifz

Even i feel easy study intervals are too long so i just select Good all the time

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neighbour View Post
    Ahh, sounds good I will try it out Insha Allah.

Very helpful post, JazakAllah Khair.

So when I choose the grade on this Surah Insha Allah, do I repeat the same process you mentioned with another Surah and on and on?
    Yes. Use the same process to add the next Surahs. But remember that don't add all the Surahs in one day. Spread them out. Because whatever you add, multiply by 10 and that is what you can expect to have to review if you keep adding consistently.

So if you keep adding one surah every day for a month, you can expect to have to revise 10 Surahs in one day for a short period of time. So add slowly so it doesn't pile up.

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Just a question to those who read this thread. Do you think I should make a whole website with this information? I was going to but then I didn't. But seeing that it is helping people do you think a website would be a good idea?

I already registered a domain name a long time ago howtomemorizequran.com.

Muslim
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you've already got a domain name, why not use it I guess. Plus if you think of the good deeds you could get by helping others to memorize the Qur'an. I say go ahead. I don't mind checking it out and if I can check if it's easy to use etc.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Just a question to those who read this thread. Do you think I should make a whole website with this information? I was going to but then I didn't. But seeing that it is helping people do you think a website would be a good idea?

I already registered a domain name a long time ago howtomemorizequran.com.

"If you build it they will come"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Go ahead with the website bro... It will be Sadaqah Jariyah insha'Allah

I can't' wait to see results of this method over a period of time
    Last edited by nidaelahi; 07-11-13 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Assalamun alaikum

I am interested in doing this....i was wondering how do u upload pages of quran????
    Can u plz gve a step to step guide

An unworthy sinner
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

this thread needs to be made sticky

may Allah imcrease you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

ok i manage to uploaded a a page of quran..but when i go into it show a blank page with a tab saying show ans... and the wen i press on the tab it take me to the page of uploaded page of surah...soooooooooo...this is gona sound soooo sillly i how do i revise...do revise looking /without looking...after memorise without looking i check the quran page to see if got it right??

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nutty123 View Post
    ok i manage to uploaded a a page of quran..but when i go into it show a blank page with a tab saying show ans... and the wen i press on the tab it take me to the page of uploaded page of surah...soooooooooo...this is gona sound soooo sillly i how do i revise...do revise looking /without looking...after memorise without looking i check the quran page to see if got it right??
    Could you upload a screenshot of the blank.page you are seeing so that I may be able to better guide you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assalaamualykum

Brother Zeeshan... can you tell use more about your story... since how long have you been using this method? and more details

What do you do when the space goes upto 18 to 27 days between revision ?? isn't it too long.... ?? I was thinking i use to to reach 18 days gap and then put it my 15 day cycle of Quran

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nidaelahi View Post
    Assalaamualykum

Brother Zeeshan... can you tell use more about your story... since how long have you been using this method? and more details

What do you do when the space goes upto 18 to 27 days between revision ?? isn't it too long.... ?? I was thinking i use to to reach 18 days gap and then put it my 15 day cycle of Quran
    Well, I think I have been using it for more than six months. I deleted my previous deck of cards because I lost my temper at something. And when I lose my temper I do silly things. At that time I had over 100 pages in the program. After deleting them I started over again. I once again have 100 pages which different from the ones I had previously. So you can say I have used this method for 200 pages or close to 1/3 of the Quran I have memorized since the Quran I use has a total of 560 pages.

I should also mention that I used a different program but which also employed spaced repetition to individually review each Verse from the Last 10 Juz for about a month. But it got to the point where I had to revise 200 Verses a day since I was entering individual Verses. And that slowed me down. So I started adding pages instead.

What I have noticed is that even when I review the pages which I had in my previous deck and have not reviewed them for months, I can usually complete a Juz in 1 hour. This is something which I could not do when I used the Traditional Method of Memorization. Using that method it would take me more than half an hour to do 1/4 of a Juz and that is if I had not seen the Juz for only 2 weeks. So, I for one have greatly benefited from this method.

However, it must be noted that spaced repetition works best with information which is small. A page of the Quran is very large. So you might or might not be able to recall it all without looking. But by quick glances I am able to recall everything. I usually read over the page either in my mind or by reciting which takes about one minute and thirty seconds. Then I recall it in the second recitation which takes another one minute and thirty to forty seconds. Sometimes, I might need to recall it a second or third time since my previous recalls were not that great. So usually I end up revising a a page in max 6 minutes as opposed to the 15 to 20 minutes per page without this method.

I remember I was able to recall the first page of وما لي and قال فما خطبكم without looking after a month without any mistakes. So it is obvious that the program has the potential to send a page into your long term memory to such an extent that you do not need to even look at it and can recall it after a month without problem.

Results will differ among individuals. As for your question, well my goal is to have all of the Quran in my memory to such an extent that I can revise one Juz in 1 hour. I can do that thanks first to Allah and then to this program with more than half of the Quran. After I can do it with the rest of the half then I plan on just reviewing a Juz everyday so that one Juz will be repeated after every 30 days.

Finally, I would like to point out that regardless of how good spaced repetition is, we must not forget that the Book of Allah is not like wordy things. The Prophet (PBUH) said:

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْعَلاَءِ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو أُسَامَةَ، عَنْ بُرَيْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي بُرْدَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ تَعَاهَدُوا الْقُرْآنَ فَوَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ لَهُوَ أَشَدُّ تَفَصِّيًا مِنَ الإِبِلِ فِي عُقُلِهَا ‏

The Prophet (PBUH said, "Keep on reciting the Qur'an, for, by Him in Whose Hand my life is, Qur'an runs away (is forgotten) faster than camels that are released from their tying ropes." [Bukhari]

So once you use the program and get to a point where you can easily recall every page of a Juz after 30 days, then you should start revising that Juz each day. Ofcourse to get to that point you will need to revise pages after a period which exceeds one month.

I must also add, that when using the Traditional Method when I looked back at a page which I had memorized it sometimes seemed so new that I thought I had never memorized it. But using this method I have never come across a page which gave me that feeling. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by ZeeshanParvez; 08-11-13 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I think I have been using it for more than six months. I deleted my previous deck of cards because I lost my temper at something. And when I lose my temper I do silly things. At that time I had over 100 pages in the program. After deleting them I started over again. I once again have 100 pages which different from the ones I had previously. So you can say I have used this method for 200 pages or close to 1/3 of the Quran I have memorized since the Quran I use has a total of 560 pages.

I should also mention that I used a different program but which also employed spaced repetition to individually review each Verse from the Last 10 Juz for about a month. But it got to the point where I had to revise 200 Verses a day since I was entering individual Verses. And that slowed me down. So I started adding pages instead.

What I have noticed is that even when I review the pages which I had in my previous deck and have not reviewed them for months, I can usually complete a Juz in 1 hour. This is something which I could not do when I used the Traditional Method of Memorization. Using that method it would take me more than half an hour to do 1/4 of a Juz and that is if I had not seen the Juz for only 2 weeks. So, I for one have greatly benefited from this method.

However, it must be noted that spaced repetition works best with information which is small. A page of the Quran is very large. So you might or might not be able to recall it all without looking. But by quick glances I am able to recall everything. I usually read over the page either in my mind or by reciting which takes about one minute and thirty seconds. Then I recall it in the second recitation which takes another one minute and thirty to forty seconds. Sometimes, I might need to recall it a second or third time since my previous recalls were not that great. So usually I end up revising a a page in max 6 minutes as opposed to the 15 to 20 minutes per page without this method.

I remember I was able to recall the first page of وما لي and قال فما خطبكم without looking after a month without any mistakes. So it is obvious that the program has the potential to send a page into your long term memory to such an extent that you do not need to even look at it and can recall it after a month without problem.

Results will differ among individuals. As for your question, well my goal is to have all of the Quran in my memory to such an extent that I can revise one Juz in 1 hour. I can do that thanks first to Allah and then to this program with more than half of the Quran. After I can do it with the rest of the half then I plan on just reviewing a Juz everyday so that one Juz will be repeated after every 30 days.

Finally, I would like to point out that regardless of how good spaced repetition is, we must not forget that the Book of Allah is not like wordy things. The Prophet (PBUH) said:

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْعَلاَءِ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو أُسَامَةَ، عَنْ بُرَيْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي بُرْدَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ تَعَاهَدُوا الْقُرْآنَ فَوَالَّذِي نَفْسِي بِيَدِهِ لَهُوَ أَشَدُّ تَفَصِّيًا مِنَ الإِبِلِ فِي عُقُلِهَا ‏

The Prophet (PBUH said, "Keep on reciting the Qur'an, for, by Him in Whose Hand my life is, Qur'an runs away (is forgotten) faster than camels that are released from their tying ropes." [Bukhari]

So once you use the program and get to a point where you can easily recall every page of a Juz after 30 days, then you should start revising that Juz each day. Ofcourse to get to that point you will need to revise pages after a period which exceeds one month.

I must also add, that when using the Traditional Method when I looked back at a page which I had memorized it sometimes seemed so new that I thought I had never memorized it. But using this method I have never come across a page which gave me that feeling. Hope that helps!
    Jazak'Allah khairan.

That post really gave better details and shows the outstanding results.

So i should let the gap get to 27-41? Then make it once a month? Should I got through all the juz with spaced rep even my easy ones?

You say to put pages as cards... But I'm using half juz as each card ... Is that fine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Asslamun alaikum

e.doce.doc

i hope u understand this...also how do i use my ankiweb..il attached a image of it ..its image number 3...how to add quran pages on the anki web

Muslim
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Walaykumussalam

Do you mean adding screenshots / the Qur'an pages onto the Anki programme? Easily done, in shaa Allah I'll explain below.

1. Open Anki up

2. Click on your deck

3. Click 'Add'

4. Write something like 'Revising So-so" as front and in the back click the small paper clip image towards the right of the screen.

P.S To first acquire an image of the Qur'an page here is what to do:

Go to a website like www.houseofQuran.com

Go to the Surah you want to put in, you'll in shaa Allah see the Arabic so zoom in a bit and take a screenshot with the 'Prt Scrn' button on your keyboard (it should be located to the right of F12)

Press 'Prt Scrn' now go onto paint and paste the image there.

You can crop around so to take the Arabic text and save it and then back to number 4. above you find the image and select that.

Hope what I put is easy to understand in shaa Allah.

Assalamu alaykum.

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Nutty123 when you added the picture to the front of the card did the picture show up as in the link below

screen6.png

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

Jazak'Allah khairan.

So i should let the gap get to 27-41? Then make it once a month? Should I got through all the juz with spaced rep even my easy ones?
    You could try 41 days and then let us know how it worked out!

I don't think you should experiment with the Juz which you find easy. Keep reviewing them using the method which made them easy for you.

You say to put pages as cards... But I'm using half juz as each card ... Is that fine?
    That is fine but add the cards slowly. If keep adding fast and consistently then you could end up having to revise 5 juz a day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Zeeshanparvez ..yes after following ur instruction that what happend...you then just press add and then close it..dats right isnt it....How would go abt making juz 30 one whole deck instead creating cards individually nd labeling them separately see pic e.doc...
    If u wanna create cards ..you write the what you want to learn on the 'front' where you enter the name and the ans on the 'back'...and then u press add??

Muslim
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nutty123 View Post
    Zeeshanparvez ..yes after following ur instruction that what happend...you then just press add and then close it..dats right isnt it....How would go abt making juz 30 one whole deck instead creating cards individually nd labeling them separately see pic e.doc...
    If u wanna create cards ..you write the what you want to learn on the 'front' where you enter the name and the ans on the 'back'...and then u press add??

You can write on the front what it IS your learning.

Example : "Revise / recite Surah Al-Fatiha"

And on the back you can have the screenshot of Surah Al-Fatiha.

When reviewed it should say first "Revise / recite Surah Al-Fatiha"

So when In-shaa Allah you recite Surah Al-Fatiha You can click "Show Answer" see how you did and go on from there.

I hope it makes sense In-shaa Allah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

it does make sense ......JazakAllaahu khayran for ur help.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You could try 41 days and then let us know how it worked out!

I don't think you should experiment with the Juz which you find easy. Keep reviewing them using the method which made them easy for you.

That is fine but add the cards slowly. If keep adding fast and consistently then you could end up having to revise 5 juz a day!
    You mean 2 1/2 juz if put 1/2 daily which I think I can manage insha'Allah

Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2670 Post(s)

You mean 2 1/2 juz if put 1/2 daily which I think I can manage insha'Allah
    Oh yeah darn! I was never good at math!!!