Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Icon11 Should parents choose their kids career?

Do you think it's right for parents to choose a career path for their kid and from a early age, like 5, 6, 7, encourage them in it?

Like a doctor, lawyer etc.

Or, should you wait until the person is like 13 and ask them what they are thinking of doing with the rest of their life.
    (lulz, no pressure)

Re: Should parents choose their kids career?

Quote Originally Posted by ssh View Post
    Do you think it's right for parents to choose a career path for their kid and from a early age, like 5, 6, 7, encourage them in it?

Or, should you wait until the person is like 13 and ask them what they are thinking of doing with the rest of their life.
    (lulz, no pressure)

Better to wait and see what the child excels in, the child good be much better suited for something they're unaware of

(lulz, no pressure)
    I am completely against this, its one thing for parents to support their kids decision another for them to force and persuade them to go down a path they want the child to go down, end of the day its not their life and they aren't the ones that are going to have to do the hard work to be a lawyer,doctor etc,

Isn't this quite prevalent in China/Asia and the subcontinent.
    1 death is a tragedy a million is a statistic

Odan

I don't think there is anything wrong with parents guiding their children into a career with their experience, especially at the age of 5,6 or 7 because at this age it's not like the kids know what they are going to do. But when the children get into their teens and are clearly struggling with the parents choice of career, then they should let the children pursue what they want.
    If knowledge was a justification for taqwa then shaytan would be the most muttaqi - maulana Zahir Mahmood
    'More beloved to me than 23 years of lecturing' Sheikh Ahmed Ali
    Islamic etiquette for social media
    http://youtu.be/VVa7av9eKkY

Odan

I don't think I'll choose my children's career. But I will not let them do something that I feel has no prospects.

My parents did the same with us and so did my husbands parents. And it worked for me and him and all our siblings.

No... parents should not choose a career for their children.

I remember learning about a guy who was taught at a young age and was brought up in a strict educational routine by a utilitarian philospher. Anyhow long story short he fell into depression... but recovered and is quite famous for the improving the Utilitarianism theory...

So moral of the story... it is probably not good for the childs health but hey they will be sucessful

Anyhow... teaching kids simple things is alright i think such as fun maths or english or something their age but i would say not go overboard and destroy their childhood...

Regarding choosing careers, let them that way they will be more likely to suceed in something they have a passion for, but advise them when necessary.

Simples.
    Bye...

after seeing this one study, i always wondered what it would be like living it into existence...

like seeing their skills and then allow them to excel, grow a passion for it..

hypothetical story.. my kid is veryobservant... so im like hey billy bob lets do word search puzzles or hidden object hunts around the house... then make up these scenarios and have them solve em.. watch csi crime scene investigator/criminal minds/ junior investigator camps.. etc so inside if i wanted him to be a detective i wouldve never had to say it... instead he would have the passion for it..

but that was back in the day when i
    Raindrops.hail.ouch

I don’t know, the kitchen sink should not have been shoved down my throat so young.
    المادح نفسه كذاب
    I do not fear for the person who thinks, even if he loses his way, for he will return to the truth. Rather, I fear for the person who doesn't think, even if he is correctly guided, for he will be like a wisp of straw at the mercy of the wind. —Muhammad al-Ghazali

Quote Originally Posted by Amat View Post
    I don’t know, the kitchen sink should not have been shoved down my throat so young.
    ???? so what your mom wanted you to be a maid? .. or a stay at home mom?
    Raindrops.hail.ouch

Quote Originally Posted by FeedMEknowledge View Post
    ???? so what your mom wanted you to be a maid? .. or a stay at home mom?
    lol Maid? Lets just say that I got the wrong impression from my parents when I was young. Now I wish I could just stay home doing nothing, but I'm coerced into school probably until I die, My parents sometimes sign me up for random classes with out asking me first! But I love them so it's ok.
    المادح نفسه كذاب
    I do not fear for the person who thinks, even if he loses his way, for he will return to the truth. Rather, I fear for the person who doesn't think, even if he is correctly guided, for he will be like a wisp of straw at the mercy of the wind. —Muhammad al-Ghazali

Quote Originally Posted by Amat View Post
    lol Maid? Lets just say that I got the wrong impression from my parents when I was young. Now I wish I could just stay home doing nothing, but I'm coerced into school probably until I die, My parents sometimes sign me up for random classes with out asking me first! But I love them so it's ok.
    ahh ok i get it.... i said maid cuz i thought u were responding to what i said above me.. so i related kitchen with cleaning.. my bad...

: /
    Raindrops.hail.ouch

no, i don't think one sjouoid choose their c hildrens career but one can guide them to possible careers if they are completely lost.

However, whats more important is that your child is doing something that they enjoy and feel fulfilled by. If my child is NOT working in a profession not deemed as 'high status' but they are content, they are not compromising their deen, it gives them enougth time to spend on their family etc etc' i will be happy.
    Last edited by Muslima London; 11-09-13 at 09:54 PM.
    Oh Allah keep my children smiling in this life and the next. keep them close to you always. Make them amongst those who are the most patient, themost grateful, the most forgiving and the most humble. Oh Allah make them amongst those who will receive your shade on that day. Ameen

Quote Originally Posted by FeedMEknowledge View Post
    ahh ok i get it.... i said maid cuz i thought u were responding to what i said above me.. so i related kitchen with cleaning.. my bad...

: /
    Dear we always get into awkward mix ups. Cracks me up.
    المادح نفسه كذاب

The parents should always suggest, but shouldn't choose for them. Unless the kid is going in some oddball direction.
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

Odan

(lulz, no pressure)
    NO. NO. And NO again.

Not just careers, they shouldn't choose their subjects or courses either. They can advise, but they have no right to force their kid into something they are not good at. Everyone has their own special talent. They should be alllowed to pursue that talent as long as it is halal. Many parents force their kids into sciency stuff. They think they know whats best for their kids and give you all sorts of lectures which you know are bluffs but you can't talk back because they think they know better than you. And Islamically speaking, a child wouldn't be disobedient if he/she went against their parents' wishes in this area of life.

Parents who do this are just as bad as those who force their kids into forced marriages.

Trying to study something you are not interested in is hell.

A decent halal income is good enough for me. Why would I want to waste my life being a doctor or lawyer (which is haram anyway) or engineer or whatever?
    [CENTER][I][B][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#800000]"You must convince your heart that whatever Allah has decreed is most appropriate and most beneficial for you." ~ Imam Al Ghazali.[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#800000]
    [/COLOR][FONT=verdana][COLOR=#0000cd][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]

I thought parents had no influence on their kids
    قل إنما أمرت أن أعبد الله ولا أشرك به إليه أدعو وإليه مآب

(lulz, no pressure)
    u just took my threads motive and changed the title ...

wait for my subpoena against u.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldog View Post
    I thought parents had no influence on their kids
    a desi with such big words?

No. Parents are parents. Firsts 7 years play with them, next 7 years teach them and then befriend them after that. Children become adults and your parenting sorta changes because they take their own pathes and you just guide them and help them out.

You can't be making decisions for a child when they're mature adults and start thinking for themselves, that's just whee it becomes oppressive/not right.

The above is not meant to come across as an ungrateful rude way to our parents btw.
    Last edited by F_R; 12-09-13 at 12:26 PM.
    Do not misinterpret or add your own flow and ideas to my posts. Take it all at face value. If you don't understand something I've written then ask for clarification. I am not responsible for your thoughts or additions to my posts. You only have yourself to blame and I am free from what you attribute to me.

Quote Originally Posted by samin62 View Post
    The parents should always suggest, but shouldn't choose for them. Unless the kid is going in some oddball direction.
    what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Superwoman View Post
    what do you mean?
    If the kid doesnt know what he is doing. Even then it should be based on what the parents observed the kid is good at
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

education doesnt mean intelligence ..

Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    education doesnt mean intelligence ..
    I know. I read your posts

Lost in Islamic History

Last edited by F_R; 12-09-13 at 10:36 PM.
    Do not misinterpret or add your own flow and ideas to my posts. Take it all at face value. If you don't understand something I've written then ask for clarification. I am not responsible for your thoughts or additions to my posts. You only have yourself to blame and I am free from what you attribute to me.

Odan

No, they should counsel them and help them realize whatever they desire to achieve in their lives
    Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Odan

No, it's illogical and dumb. Truly ignorant behaviour, no way a nobel prize winner was forced into it, gotta have passion for what you do.
    Last edited by Hadid; 12-09-13 at 05:08 PM.

I think sometimes you can generate interest in the child toward a certain subject just as you can with their Islamic education. I wouldn't outright say parents shouldn't steer the child but they also need to accept that ultimately it should be the child's decision and not get too cut up if the child ends up not wanting to be what they hopin for. I think it should be done if the parent has the intention that the child's skills will be beneficial to others and if they encourage their child in this then it should be for the sake of Allah, rather than boasting that the child has a highly respected job

e.g. steering the child in the direction of becoming a doctor because they can earn the reward of helping save lives, they can one day go and be useful where people desperately need these expertise, not steering them to be a doctor because of what others think

if my mum had made her feelings known I would have probably gone in the direction she wanted, but she told me to do whatever I like even though I was constantly asking her opinion and it got frustrating

oh I just now payed attention to the title, I don't think they should 'choose', steer for the greater good - yeah
    Last edited by cho09082489; 12-09-13 at 06:06 PM.

Account Disabled

Should parents choose their kids career?

Sure why not its better than them working at the local Mcdonalds

I know. I read your posts
    now i know why u read my posts.

If its a doctor, then yea they should encourage them because they are saving lives

if the dads a lawyer, then no I dont think they should encourage them to have the same profession

instead they should give them the tools to figure out how best to utilize their skills into a career

Anyone remember ANDRE AGASSI, TOP TENNIS player and then after all that success said he was forced in to it by his dad
    Last edited by Fairy; 12-09-13 at 10:42 PM.
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Odan

I personally don't think its in the hands of parents or child. You do what you can and in the end Allah swt wills it or doesnt

If the kid doesnt know what he is doing. Even then it should be based on what the parents observed the kid is good at
    parents can be wrong, also the child may be good at something that he doesn't want his parents to know about

Quote Originally Posted by LondonGal View Post
    I don't think I'll choose my children's career. But I will not let them do something that I feel has no prospects.

My parents did the same with us and so did my husbands parents. And it worked for me and him and all our siblings.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    If its a doctor, then yea they should encourage them because they are saving lives

if the dads a lawyer, then no I dont think they should encourage them to have the same profession

instead they should give them the tools to figure out how best to utilize their skills into a career

Anyone remember ANDRE AGASSI, TOP TENNIS player and then after all that success said he was forced in to it by his dad
    I'm wasted on this forum.
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”