Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    .dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

A Sunnah a Day, Keeps shaytan at Bay: A Ramadan Project

A Sunnah a Day, Keeps shaytan at Bay

Ramadan is fast approaching us and I thought it would be a fun idea for us to do a 'Sunnah a Day.' I got this idea after seeing lots of blogs implement the "A good deed a day." mantra and they seemed to have benefited from it a great deal. So I thought, "Hmmm, why not use this during Ramadan?" I was originally going to just do a blog or something for this, but then I thought another thought. A thought that I should put this on ummah so we can all help each other out and I can get some extra ajr

...and so the thread came to be.

On Ummah, we fight a lot, so why not do something to help benefit our brothers and sisters in Islam? It's hard doing something by yourself, but when you have your brothers and sisters by your side motivating you to continue on, well it's quite beautiful actually.

So here's my plan: Each Day, I'll update the first post to include another Sunnah we should do implement and try to perfect during that day. (You'll have to continue doing the other Sunnahs too. Don't let them die, continue watering them so they can flourish inshaa'Allah). The Sunnahs will range from praying Salatul Duha to smiling more. So Big and Small. They won't only come from me also, in case anyone was worried about the ones I'd pick. Since we're working together on this project we should discuss about what Sunnahs we want to accomplish during the month. Then they'll be added to the list as well. Also, share your thoughts on how you did during the day. Was it hard? Was it easy? If it was easy, what are some tips you can give to the brothers and sisters who had a hard time?

Our goal isn't to just be better Ramadan Muslims, no, this project isn't only for Ramadan! I want us to continue this project after Ramadan is done. of course, inshaa'Allah once we start to implement these good acts during the month where Shaytan is locked up, we'll have a solid foundation for the rest of the year.

Anywho, this is just my idea. Even if no one joins in with this, I'm going to make a thread and post how my day went.....prepare to be bored since I'm not that exciting. But if you join, I'd really appreciate it and make du'a for you.

----------------------------------------------------------

• Day 29 + Eid: Celebrating a month of fasting with more fasting

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) explained this when he said: "Whoever fasts for six days after ('Eid) al-Fitr has completed the year: (whoever does a good deed (hasanah) will have ten hasanah like it)." According to another report: "Allah has made for each hasanah ten like it, so a month is like fasting ten months, and fasting six days completes the year." [An-Nisa'i and Ibn Majah. See also Sahih at-Targhib wa't-Tarhib, 1/421). It was also narrated by Ibn Khuzaymah with the wording: "Fasting for the month of Ramadhan brings the reward of ten like it, and fasting for six days brings the reward of two months, and that is the fasting of the whole year."

Ramadan is now over, but that doesn't mean fasting can't continue. We're currently in Shawwal, so fast 6 days for that extra blessing. If you are sister, you'll have to make up your period days first then fast Shawwal. Same if you were sick or traveling during Ramadan. But once you make up your fasts, you can celebrate by fasting some more! Woot!

• Day 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 & 28: The forums have been down for awhile

"I only complain of my distraction and anguish to Allah." (Yusuf 12:86).

"And (remember) Ayyub (Job), when he cried to his Lord, 'Truly distress has seized me. (al-Anbiya 21:83).

Today, is another sunnah from the other Prophets, though our beloved Prophet (SAW) also did the same thing. Sometimes, we don't have people to talk to or complain to. If something happens, we can tell others but after awhile they'll tell us to get over it. But why do we rush to others to complain? Why not go straight to Allah instead?

People can fail you, but Allah has always got your back. I mean, when you start to really see things, you notice how much Allah tries to get you back on track. I think if you're ever down on eeman, which happens to everyone, then this is something that really helps booast it back up. If it doesn't, then complain/talk to Allah about it. Remember when the Prophet (SAW) went to Ta'if and was chased out, he said this and it's something we should all say in times of hardships.

"O Allah! I complain to You of my weakness, my scarcity of resources and the humiliation I have been subjected to by the people. O Most Merciful of those who are merciful. O Lord of the weak and my Lord too. To whom have you entrusted me? To a distant person who receives me with hostility? Or to an enemy to whom you have granted authority over my affair?

So long as You are not angry with me, I do not care. Your favor is of a more expansive relief to me. I seek refuge in the light of Your Face by which all darkness is dispelled and every affair of this world and the next is set right, lest Your anger or Your displeasure descends upon me. I desire Your pleasure and satisfaction until You are pleased. There is no power and no might except by You." [source]

SubhanAllah. Let's all try to get our relationship with Allah back in check. Even if you accomplished nothing during this Ramadan, know that the fact that you are aware of this is a blessing from Allah. It means that you know what you have to work on and it all starts with talking to Allah.

• Day 21 & 22: Alhamdulillah

Narrated from A’ishah radi Allahu anha, “When the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam saw something that pleased him, he would say: Alhamdulillahil lathee bi ni’matihi tatimmus saalihaat, and when he saw something that displeased him, he would say: Alhamdulillah ‘alaa kuli haal. (Narrated in Sunan Ibn Maajah, classified as Saheeh according to Shaykh Albaani rahimahullah in Silsilatus Saheehah hadeeth 265)

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي بِنِعْمَتِهِ تَتِمُّ الصَّالِحَاتُ

Alhamdulillahil lathee bi ni’matihi tatimmus saalihaat
    All praise and thanks are only for Allah, the One who, by His blessing and favor, perfected goodness/good works are accomplished.

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ عَلَى كُلِّ حَالٍ

Alhamdulillah ‘alaa kuli haal
    All praise and thanks are only for Allah in all circumstances.

Alhamdulillah for everything.

• Day 20: Crème de la Crème

Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, said: I asked the Messenger of Allah: 'O Messenger of Allah, if I know what night is the night of Qadr, what should I say during it?'He (The Prophet PBUH) said:'Say: "
    اللهم انك عفو تحب العفو فاعف عني " [Ahmad, Ibn Majah, and Tirmidhi]

Let's break it down.

اللْهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ
    Allahumma innaka `afuwwun
    O Allah, You are The Effacer of sins

تُحِبُّ الْعَفْوَ

tuhibbul `afwa
    and You love effacing sins

فَاعْفُ عَنِّي

fa`fu `annee
    so efface mine

What does this mean, it means that Allah not only forgives your sins, but erases all traces of it from your records. It is the supreme du'a to make during the last 10 nights, especially because it's at a higher level than just seeking forgiveness. Let's all learn and implement this one inshaa'Allah.

• Day 18 & 19: Feeding people the salams

A man asked the Prophet, ‘Which (aspect of) Islam is best?’ He responded, ‘Feeding people and greeting (with salam) those you know and those you do not know.’” [Bukhari]

Two amazing acts, in one convient hadith. When you go to tarawiih, make yourself known and say Salam to everyone. And I mean Everyone! Even shake a hand or two, since it's the sunnah and when you shake someone's hand and say then your sins are forgiven. Doesn't Allah make things so easy for us, but we just choose to not listen or disregard His abundent Mercy. SubhanAllah.

Also, if you are a mother, please step aside. If you are a kid and live at home and don't cook, then get ready to cook. For one night, just one night during the last ten nights, make something for the family. You can implement this hadith and your family can implement the hadith of not saying ewwwww! I'm sure you'll be fine though, just take some time and feed people.

• Day 16 & 17: When the Doctor's away...

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: A man came to the Prophet and said, "My brother has some abdominal trouble." The Prophet said to him "Let him drink honey." The man came for the second time and the Prophet said to him, 'Let him drink honey." He came for the third time and the Prophet said, "Let him drink honey." He returned again and said, "I have done that ' The Prophet then said, "Allah has said the truth, but your brother's abdomen has told a lie. Let him drink honey." So he made him drink honey and he was cured.

Narrated Khalid bin Sad: We went out and Ghalib bin Abjar was accompanying us. He fell ill on the way and when we arrived at Medina he was still sick. Ibn Abi 'Atiq came to visit him and said to us, "Treat him with black cumin. Take five or seven seeds and crush them (mix the powder with oil) and drop the resulting mixture into both nostrils, for 'Aisha has narrated to me that she heard the Prophet saying, 'This black cumin is healing for all diseases except As-Sam.' Aisha said, 'What is As-Sam?' He said, 'Death."

[Bukhari]

Now, it is the sunnah to get medical help when you need it, but sometimes when we have a common cold or a stomach bug we rush to the doctor only to end up getting advil or some over the counter stomach medicine. Why get that, when there are so many sunnat for natural medicines. Honey, ginger, garlic, cumin, black onion seeds, cloves, etc... there are a lot of foods that can help you, but you need to try it. That being said, if you are really sick then go to a doctor.

• Day 15: Every opportunity counts

"So her Lord accepted her with a good acceptance and made her grow up a good growing, and gave her into the charge of Zakariya; whenever Zakariya entered the sanctuary to (see) her, he found with her food. He said: 'O Maryam! whence comes this to you? She said: 'It is from Allah. Surely Allah gives to whom He pleases without measure.' There did Zakariya pray to his Lord; he said: 'My Lord! grant me from Thee good offspring; surely Thou art the Hearer of prayer'."

~ Surah aal-Imran ayat 37-38

So I was listen to some tafsir and thought we should all adopt the sunnah of Nabi Zakariya (as). What is that sunnah? It's not making du'a for a child. That's too obvious. It's the sunnah to make du'a whenever you see a sign or a miracle or something that is amazing and can only come from Allah. When Nabi Zakariya (as) saw Maryam (as) with fruits that were not in season, he knew this was a miracle. So what did he do? He made du'a for something that he wanted, but seemed impossible. But as we know, nothing is impossible when it comes to Allah.

When you see something amazing that is a sure sign from Allah. Make du'a. If you don't see amazing stuff, which is impossible, then go outside, watch a nature documentary, and get inspired. This world, scratch that, this universe is beautiful and there are still so many things that we have no idea of. Reflect and make du'a, because when you are at a state of awe, you'll be more inclined to be close to Allah.

• Day 14: I'm walking on sunshine

A man from the companions of the Prophet (ﷺ) traveled to Fadaalah ibn Ubayd (may Allah be pleased with him) when he was in Egypt. After a brief conversation he asked him: “Why do I not see any shoes on you?” Fadaalah replied: “The Prophet (ﷺ) used to command us to go barefoot sometimes”. [Abu Dawud, Book 33, Hadith 4148]

I take my socks off for this. Now, I'm not advising you guys to go out walking barefoot everywhere. Walking barefoot on pavement isn't good for you, but if you're near a beach or in grass then let your little piggies come out. If you're not near any sand or grass, then walk barefoot at home. It's weird, if you're not use to it. But remember that this is a sunnah and Allah will reward you for it if you have the right intention! There's a great little post about this and the health benefits surround it, so do check it out inshaa'Allah.

• Day 13: Eat it, or leave it

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet never criticized any food (he was invited to) but he used to eat if he liked the food, and leave it if he disliked
    [Bukhari]

Brothers and Sisters, sometimes we love to complain. Especially after a long day of fasting. We sit down and BAM, this thing doesn't have enogh salt and our taste buds are all of a sudden sensitive to that so we critize the food. Let's not do that anymore. Either eat the food, or leave it, but me like our beloved Prophet (SAW) and never critize it. The person who spent time making it doesn't deserve that.

• Day 12: "It has fat"

Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) drank some milk then called for some water. Once he got the water he rinsed his mouth then said, “It has fat.” Collected by Bukhari, 211 and Muslim, 358

When we are breaking our fasts or eating suhoor, let's all remember this little sunnah from the Prophet (SAW) and rinse our mouths after drinking milk. Even though this is a small act, just think of the rewards you'd get from Allah. SubhanAllah.

• Day 11: Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!

Jabir reported that the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) commanded people to lick their fingers and the plate, saying, ‘You do not know where the blessing lies.’” [Muslim] In one variant of it, “When one of you drops a morsel of food, he should pick it up, remove any dirt on it and then eat it, not leaving it for Shaytan. He should not wipe his hand with a cloth until he has licked his fingers. He does not know in which part of his food the blessing lies.”

I don't think this needs any explaining, but I will mention that if you do this then you really need to make sure that you wash your hands before you eat. That's a sunnah too, but it's also the hygienic thing to do if you are going to attempt this sunnah.

• Day 7, 8, 9, & 10: The strong 12

Allaah will build a house in Heaven for whoever is diligent in observing 12 Sunnah Rak'aat (as follows): 4 Rak'aat before and 2 after the Dhuhr (Midday) Prayer, 2 after the Maghrib (Sunset Prayer), 2 after the ‘Ishaa’ (Evening) Prayer and 2 before the Fajr (Dawn) Prayer." Hadith sahih narrated by at-Tirmidhi

Another Sunnah for us to do, the Rawatib 12. All of us want our little place in Jannah to be the best place, I mean, I already have floor plans done in my head. A jungle is included. And an ocean. I'm going all out y'all. But one thing that we need to remember is how easy it os to get a house in Jannah. Just thinking, if you do this starting today for the remainder of Ramadan you'll have 20 houses. All of them just for you.

It's amazing, but if you work this is a bit hard to do. I think if we try to schedule things and work our days around Salah and our breaks around Salah, then this wouldn't be too bad. Plus, this is something we want to continue doing throughout the year. So it's better to build up your foundation now, before shaytan comes to try to break it down. Now, it is 12 extra raka'ats, so if it's hard for you to go all out. Start small. Go with Fajr first, then work your way to the other sunnat. Inshaa'Allah, by the end of Ramadan you'll be able to do all of them with no sweat. May Allah make this easy for all of us. Ameen!

• Day 6: Intention & Bismillah

The Prophet (pbuh) said: “Any matter of importance which is not begun with ‘bismillah’ [in the name of Allah], remains defective” [Ibn Hibban]

Islam is an amazing religion, because Allah makes it so easy for us to do khayr even when the acts we are doing seem so insignificant. With the right intention, eating can be ibadah, sleeping can be ibadah, going to work can be ibadah, talking to your family/friends can be ibadah. So many things (as long as they are not haram acts) can be ibadah. So lets have the right intention and say Bismillah so we can bring up our good deeds.

• Day 5: Neighbourly Love

"The best of companions according to Allah are those who are best to their companion and the best of neighbours according to Allah are those that are best to their neighbour." [Tirmidhi, Sahih]

I think this is one we neglect, if the neighbours are not Muslim. But why? Good character isn't only restricted to your brothers and sisters, it's meant for everyone. I think a really fun thing to do this Ramadan is to make iftar and go to your neighbours and say, "Hello, I have some food for you. Since it's Ramadan we're currently breaking our fasts and thought you'd like some. Please enjoy!" Or something of that nature.

Let's all try our best to be good neighbours. Smile, talk, listen, and be there for them. Regardless if they are Muslim or not.

• Day 4: Salah, just do it

Abu Dharr narrated that the Messenger of Allaah said: “In the morning charity is due from every joint of your body. Every tasbeeh (saying glory be to Allaah) is charity. Every tahmeed (saying all praise is due to Allaah) is charity. Every tahleelah (saying none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah) is charity. Every takbeerah (saying Allah is the Greatest) is charity. Enjoining the good is charity. Forbidding the evil is charity; and performing two rak’ah of Duha suffices all of this." [Muslim]

Shaikh Ibn `Uthaymeen -rahimahullaah- said, as occurs in 'Majmoo`ul-Fataawaa' (14/306/no.875): ''The time of the Duha Prayer is from when the sun has risen to the height of a spear, i.e. approximately a quarter or a third of an hour after having risen; until 'just before the zawaal', and 'just before the zawaal' means between ten and five minutes (prior to it)..''

I know what you're thinking. Pippin, what about Qiyamul Layl. It's Ramadan, majority of us will be doing Qiyamul Layl due to going to Tarawiih and being awake for this blessed time during suhoor. But Duha is a special time as well that many of us neglect. Let's all try to pray this sunnah salah and never miss it. Let's include this with Witr, Qiyamul Layl, the 17 rawatib, and try to perfect all of them during Ramadan. May Allah make it easy for all of us. Ameen.

• Day 3: Turn that frown upside down

The Prophet Muhammad [] said: "Do not abuse anyone, do not look down upon any good work, and when you speak to your brother, show him a cheerful face."[Sunan of Abu-Dawood, Hadith 1889]

You know how easy it is to smile? You know how nice someone looks when they smile? You know that the Prophet (SAW) would smile? So do yourself a favour this Ramadan and smile more often. Even if you're hungry, even if you're facing difficulties, smile with the intention of fulfilling this sunnah and Allah will help you out. The Prophet (SAW) faced tons of hardships and yet Abdullaah ibn Haarith said: "I never came across a person who smiled as much as Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Prophet Muhammad (SAW) regarded smiling to a brother as an act of charity."[Tirmidhi]

Most of us here are not that rich, so why not save up for your akhirah bank account by smiling since it's a form of charity.

Smiling, it's in you to give. Just remember to say salam to people as well and talk to them.

• Day 2: The Du'a for my brother is a Du'a for me

The Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever supplicates for his brother (in Islam) in his absence, an angel is appointed to his side who says “Ameen and may you also be blessed with the same.” [Muslim]

Ramadan is a month of Mercy, Training, Forgiveness, and all that other great stuff. But it's also a time when you should be making mad amounts of du'a. However, don't be stingy. Make du'a for others along with yourself, because when you make du'a for your brother and sister in Islam, the angels make the same du'a for you.

Your brother in Islam is looking for a wife, well if you are single say, "May Allah bless you with a wife who is a coolness to your eyes and you are a coolness to hers. And May Allah bless you with said wife soon. Ameen." BAM! The angels made the same du'a for you. If you're married, then no problem. Say the same thing and inshaa'Allah your spouse will become even more beautiful to you.

But don't only think about yourself. Islam is a religion that has a lot of community and social aspects to it, so be free with your du'a. Make it here, make it there, make it make it everywhere and for everyone!

• Day 1: DON'T OVEREAT!!

"A human does not fill any container worse than his stomach. It is enough for a human to have some morsels to strengthen his back (keep his back straight). If he must eat more, then it should be one-third of his stomach for food, one-third for drink and one-third for breathing." (Ahmad)

I know what you're thinking, "Pippin, we're fasting! Obviously we're going to eat and eat and eat!" Well, I'm here telling you that the first Sunnah we all should be doing this Ramadan is the sunnah of not overeating. We think we should only do this during every other month of the year, but the fact of the matter is, we should be doing it during Ramadan too. In fact, since we don't have the shaytan around us we should do it especially during Ramadan as training for the rest of the year.

Remember this hadith the next time your stomach is satisfied and you just want to eat some more food, "A man burped in the presence of the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) and he said: “Keep your burps away from us, for the one who eats his fill the most in this world will be hungry for the longest time on the Day of Resurrection.” (al-Tabaraani–Saheeh)

Now I'm not saying that you should starve, but be mindful of what you are putting it. A lot of food is wasted during Ramadan and a lot of food is made, to the point that people gain weight and look forward to the huge iftars instead of the blessed month.

So let's all try this and May Allah make this Ramadan the best Ramadan for you. Ameen!

----------------------------------------------------------

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 1: Du'a List

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 2: Prepare

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 3: Quit while you are ahead and don't lose focus

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 4: Talk to people

To read the full summaries of these tips, please click here
    Last edited by Pippin1376; 08-08-13 at 08:44 PM.
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."
    Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:.
    Ummah Forum's Islam Lectures Discussion - Join us every week where we'll discuss a new Islamic Lecture
    This week - Nouman Ali Khan - Islam & Ego

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Re: A Sunnah a Day, Keeps shaytan at Bay: A Ramadan Project

If you have any tips or sunnahs, please mention them in the thread and I'll add them to the ever growing Sunnah list. Who knows, we might have enough to last the rest of the year.
    Last edited by Pippin1376; 10-07-13 at 08:34 PM.
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."
    Surah Yusuf

Ummah Forum's Islam Lectures Discussion - Join us every week where we'll discuss a new Islamic Lecture

This is a great idea sis

"Whoever revives a Sunnah from my Sunnah and the people practice it, will have the same reward of those who practice it without their reward diminishing" (Sunan ibn Maajah, 209)
    I've found a really easy sunnah that all of us can do:

Jabir reported that the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) commanded people to lick their fingers and the plate, saying, ‘You do not know where the blessing lies.’” [Muslim]

In one variant of it, “When one of you drops a morsel of food, he should pick it up, remove any dirt on it and then eat it, not leaving it for Shaytan. He should not wipe his hand with a cloth until he has licked his fingers. He does not know in which part of his food the blessing lies.”

In one variant of it, “Shaytan is present with each one of you in every thing you do, he is even present with you when you eat. So when you drop a morsel of food, you should remove any dirt on it and eat it and not leave it for Shaytan.”

Which is one that a lot of people don't do. And more reason to practise it at iftar
    Islamic Prints
    ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
    PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

lil big sis. I'll add it to the list of sunnahs inshaa'Allah!

Another pre Ramadan tip is now up.
    Surah Yusuf

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 1: Du'a List

Get your du'a list organized. We all make du'a, you make it, I make it, even the ants on the ground makes it as well. Du'a is awesome! But sometimes we get so preoccupied during Ramadan that we miss out on saying some du'as that we really wanted to say. So, grab a pen, a notebook (or computer, but a pen and paper is just better for this exercise) and write all the du'as you can think of. Remember to organize it though.

1. Du'as for yourself - in regards to the hereafter
    2. Du'as for yourself - in regards to dunya
    3. Du'as for your family/friends
    4. Du'as for this ummah

Remember, whenever you make du'a for others the angels will ask Allah to bless you with the same. So don't be stingy! You need to think about yourself here too. May Allah bless you all with Jannat-ul-Fridos. Ameen

This is a really good exercise to do, because when you look back at your list after Ramadan or even next year, you'll be able to see all the du'as that Allah accepted and your eeman will get a huge boost. You'll also start to say, "Allah loves me! Allah, I love You too! You know what, I'm going to do more good acts to show You just how grateful I am."

So write down those du'as! And of course, when you write them down don't forget that to actually read them after and work on trying to accomplish some of the things. May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 2: Prepare

Organize your time now. Don't wait for Ramadan to come and then scramble on all the good acts you will do. We have a few days left, so sit down, get out your Ramadan Notebook and plan your days. Are you going to try to read the Quran and finish it this year? Then you'll need to figure out how much you're going to read a day.

REMEMBER! DON'T OVERDO IT!

If praying all night is hard, then start small. If giving 50 dollars in saddaqa is hard, then start with 5. But once you get use to the smaller acts, then work your way up. Remember to include it in your du'a list too, "Oh Allah, help me achieve my goal of finishing the Quran in Ramadan even though reciting/reading Arabic is hard for me." And then plan how you'll do this. Maybe you'll decide that you'll read it for 10 minutes after every Salah. Then continue making du'a and be consistent and maybe by the end of Ramadan you'll not only have finished the Quran, but you'll be able to read more and for longer periods without struggling.

But you need to tie your camel first. So, prepare prepare prepare and May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 3: Quit while you are ahead and don't lose focus

Ramadan is incredibly soon! So soon, that it's soon. So instead of waiting for Ramadan to stop doing all of your dunya stuff (TV, music, books, games, etc...) why not stop it now so the withdrawal of it won't be too hard when Ramadan comes. This is a month where we're meant to get better spiritually and so we need to maximize our time. The problem with this is that we drop everything and for the first 10 days we're all good and halal, then the middle hump comes and we start to slowly go back to how we were before.

Instead of reverting back to your old habits (which are not bad, persay, but not something you need to be doing this month), figure out ways to make yourself busy with khayr and not get bored with it. Maybe, make iftar and invite your friends over? Spend time with your family and friends? Help clean the masjid and get it ready for iftar and suhur. Watch the sun rise and set. But figure out what to do and stop doing what you do now, so it won't be hard later.

• Pre-Ramadan Tip 4: Talk to people

We fast, because it's a command from Allah. This is a month where we're meant to feel closer to Him and do as much as we can to please Him. One of the best ways to do that? Get closer to your family. Start talking to them like real people, if you don't, and make du'a for them. Do the same with friends and potential friends you meet on the street. Make du'a for your brothers and sisters around the world who are suffering and who are not. Make du'a Allah helps them and that you have the opportunity to meet them in Jannah andh hear their life story.

But don't just spend Ramadan alone. Seclusion is a beautiful thing, but Islam is a very social religion so be social. You see a brother/sister at the masjid and you don't know him, then say Salam and talk to them. And I mean really talk to them.

Don't forget our brothers/sisters around the world, you may not be able to talk to them, but talk to Allah about them.

And most importantly, get rid of your any grudges you have. Grudges are the fuel for shaytan, so just let it go. If you can't, then speak to the person so that you won't stress over this issue during Ramadan. If you can't speak to the person, then talk to Allah. May Allah make it easy for all of us. Ameen.
    Last edited by Pippin1376; 10-07-13 at 08:12 PM.
    Surah Yusuf

Odan

sister, we need more threads like this...
    Thats All She Wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by blanchoir View Post
    sister, we need more threads like this...
    Wa iyyak and for posting.....I still feel like I'm kind of talking to myself here. lol I even told C Bear to come post on this thread so I wouldn't feel so lonely,
    Surah Yusuf

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    Wa iyyak and for posting.....I still feel like I'm kind of talking to myself here. lol I even told C Bear to come post on this thread so I wouldn't feel so lonely,
    I really don't blame you.

I feel a really disturbing silence this ramadan, while before everyone would be hyped and pumped about it, now its not the same...

even these forums, in the past year it was blooming with beautiful threads now its just... "ifs" "why" "would you?"..etc

may Allah give us the motivation for this Ramadan ameen.

Where are our regular members though? Where's everyone? they were active with these things before,
    Thats All She Wrote...

Odan

I'm going to remember doing the licking your fingers one, since I eat often, and smiling more.
    Thats All She Wrote...

I feel a really disturbing silence this ramadan, while before everyone would be hyped and pumped about it, now its not the same...

even these forums, in the past year it was blooming with beautiful threads now its just... "ifs" "why" "would you?"..etc

Where are our regular members though? Where's everyone? they were active with these things before,
    Most of the members are busy with life...and their spouses. But I kind of feel the same way as you. Ramadan was a lot more hyped up in the previous years, but now it's been pretty silent. That may be a good thing though, because it could mean:

1. People are busy preparing
    2. The true excitement will come once Ramadan hits and then everyone will become hyped up.

There are other reasons, but let's remain positive and try to do our parts in reminding others about Ramadan. Just think, people could be praying tarawiih tomorrow. That's a pretty big deal right there.
    Surah Yusuf

I'm going to remember doing the licking your fingers one, since I eat often, and smiling more.
    Ah, I should remind you that since you posted on this thread you need to take part in the challenge and help motivate others inshaa'Allah.
    Surah Yusuf

Tomorrow is the first day of Ramadhan! Yay! I can't wait!

Jazakillah khair for the reminder. My addition to sunnah that Insha Allah I will do in this Ramadhan are:

1. Attending Islamic lecture or event every week during Ramadhan (at least once a week)
    2. Giving dates to my neighbors for Iftaar

May Allah reward us in Ramadhan
    Last edited by veetha; 08-07-13 at 04:07 AM.

1.68%er's

Some Brief Advices Pertaining to Ramadan (by Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari)

Ramadan is on our door step, Al-Hamdulillah! May Allah accept our worship, protect us from His disobedience and engulf us with His mercy, Ameen. I would like to share a few reminders with you:

1) Prepare for this blessed month from now – if you haven’t already done so. Sort things out and manage your time carefully. Make a timetable, if possible. It is good to make a to-do list (Qur’an, tahajjud, salawat, dhikr, dua, charity) and to-not-do list (watching TV, smoking, backbiting, slandering, hurting feelings, arguing, etc).

2) Ramadan is a month of Taqwa. ‘Taqwa’ refers to being mindful that we will be answerable to God concerning all that we do, say and write. Although fasting, tarawih and other acts of worship are important; the most important thing is to avoid sins – especially those related to the rights of creation (huquq al-ibad). Quarrelling, arguing, backbiting, swearing, slandering, obscenity and other similar acts must be avoided at all costs. It is better to sleep all day (doing only the fard acts) and avoid sins than worship Allah accompanied with sins! The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, “[A true] fast is not to [merely] avoid food and drink; it is to avoid sinful and obscene acts.” (Ibn Hibban)

3) Please take extra care in guarding yourself from the sins of the tongue. Backbiting (ghiba) and other such sins must be avoided. The great Tabi’i, Imam Abu ‘l-Aliya said, “A fasting person remains in a state of worship even if he remains sleeping on his bed, as long as he does not backbite.”

4) A hungry man is an angry man! As such, control your anger. Why wash away all the rewards of fasting by doing something foolish, especially near the end when tempers can really flare up! Avoid arguments and fights over parking, in the Masjid or kitchen at Iftar time, and do not unnecessarily scold children. Remember, Ramadan is a month of mercy; and if we want Allah’s mercy, we need to show mercy to others.

5) Ramadan has a special connection with reciting the book of Allah. Spend as much time as possible in recitation. Focus more on quality than quantity, meaning recite slowly with reflection and understanding. Imam Malik would stop teaching Hadith (and other sacred sciences) in Ramadan, and focus on reciting Qur’an.

6) It is highly important not to disturb others during Ramadan. Whilst attending the Masjid, remember the neighbors may be sleeping and have to wake up early for work. Do not disturb others or park your cars as you wish - thinking that we have a God-given right to do as we wish!

7) It is Islamically wrong to come for prayers at the Masjid with bad body/mouth odor. The Prophet (peace be upon him) condemned it emphatically saying, “He who has eaten garlic or onion [or anything else with a strong smell] should keep away from us or our mosques.” (Bukhari) As such, ensure to brush your teeth, clean your mouth and apply some fragrance (for men)! It is wrong to harm others with bad body or mouth odor. This is especially important at Maghrib (after Iftar, when you might have just consumed something) and Tarawih. Don’t burp whilst in Salat, and don't smoke just before entering the Masjid!

8. Maximize your time and do not waste it. If possible, take a break from social media; and even better, from the internet altogether. I ask all of you to remember me in your prayers. Ramadan Karim!

Odan

If knowledge was a justification for taqwa then shaytan would be the most muttaqi - maulana Zahir Mahmood
    'More beloved to me than 23 years of lecturing' Sheikh Ahmed Ali
    Islamic etiquette for social media
    http://youtu.be/VVa7av9eKkY

Odan

bump
    Thats All She Wrote...

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by .Kid. View Post
    Some Brief Advices Pertaining to Ramadan (by Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari)

Ramadan is on our door step, Al-Hamdulillah! May Allah accept our worship, protect us from His disobedience and engulf us with His mercy, Ameen. I would like to share a few reminders with you:

1) Prepare for this blessed month from now – if you haven’t already done so. Sort things out and manage your time carefully. Make a timetable, if possible. It is good to make a to-do list (Qur’an, tahajjud, salawat, dhikr, dua, charity) and to-not-do list (watching TV, smoking, backbiting, slandering, hurting feelings, arguing, etc).

2) Ramadan is a month of Taqwa. ‘Taqwa’ refers to being mindful that we will be answerable to God concerning all that we do, say and write. Although fasting, tarawih and other acts of worship are important; the most important thing is to avoid sins – especially those related to the rights of creation (huquq al-ibad). Quarrelling, arguing, backbiting, swearing, slandering, obscenity and other similar acts must be avoided at all costs. It is better to sleep all day (doing only the fard acts) and avoid sins than worship Allah accompanied with sins! The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, “[A true] fast is not to [merely] avoid food and drink; it is to avoid sinful and obscene acts.” (Ibn Hibban)

3) Please take extra care in guarding yourself from the sins of the tongue. Backbiting (ghiba) and other such sins must be avoided. The great Tabi’i, Imam Abu ‘l-Aliya said, “A fasting person remains in a state of worship even if he remains sleeping on his bed, as long as he does not backbite.”

4) A hungry man is an angry man! As such, control your anger. Why wash away all the rewards of fasting by doing something foolish, especially near the end when tempers can really flare up! Avoid arguments and fights over parking, in the Masjid or kitchen at Iftar time, and do not unnecessarily scold children. Remember, Ramadan is a month of mercy; and if we want Allah’s mercy, we need to show mercy to others.

5) Ramadan has a special connection with reciting the book of Allah. Spend as much time as possible in recitation. Focus more on quality than quantity, meaning recite slowly with reflection and understanding. Imam Malik would stop teaching Hadith (and other sacred sciences) in Ramadan, and focus on reciting Qur’an.

6) It is highly important not to disturb others during Ramadan. Whilst attending the Masjid, remember the neighbors may be sleeping and have to wake up early for work. Do not disturb others or park your cars as you wish - thinking that we have a God-given right to do as we wish!

7) It is Islamically wrong to come for prayers at the Masjid with bad body/mouth odor. The Prophet (peace be upon him) condemned it emphatically saying, “He who has eaten garlic or onion [or anything else with a strong smell] should keep away from us or our mosques.” (Bukhari) As such, ensure to brush your teeth, clean your mouth and apply some fragrance (for men)! It is wrong to harm others with bad body or mouth odor. This is especially important at Maghrib (after Iftar, when you might have just consumed something) and Tarawih. Don’t burp whilst in Salat, and don't smoke just before entering the Masjid!

8. Maximize your time and do not waste it. If possible, take a break from social media; and even better, from the internet altogether. I ask all of you to remember me in your prayers. Ramadan Karim!
    Thats All She Wrote...

Sunnah of drinking

1.) To sit and drink

2.) To drink with the right hand

3.) To say Bismillah before drinking.

4.) To take 3 sips (or more in odd numbers).

5.) To say Alhamdulillah after drinking

6.) If there are several people who are going to share the drink, it should be given to the one on the right.

7.) The one who is distributing the water (or food) should himself drink after everyone.

8.) To recite this Dua, after drinking water (not other drinkables) is also Sunnah

Alhumdollilah hil lathee sakaana, uthban foraatun, bi rahmatihi, wa lam yaj alhu milhan ujaajan bi thunoobina
    All praise is due to Allah, Who of His Mercy has granted us sweet and pleasant water to drink and did not make it bitter and salty due to our Sins.
    (Roohul Ma’ani, pg.149, 27th Para )
    9.) After drinking milk to recite:
    ‘Allaahumma baarik lanaa feehi wa zidnaa minhu’‘O Allaah, bless it for us and give us more of it.’
    (Sunan Abi Dawud Hadith3723; Sunan al-Tirmidhi Hadith3455; i-sunni Hadith474).

It is also sunnah to hasten to break our fast and to delay suhoor.

Let's all try this sunnah inshaa'Allah! Especially when breaking your fasts. Don't overeat to the point where you can't get up for Maghrib, or you end up falling asleep after you pray because you're so full.
    Surah Yusuf

Let's all try this sunnah inshaa'Allah! Especially when breaking your fasts. Don't overeat to the point where you can't get up for Maghrib, or you end up falling asleep after you pray because you're so full.
    It's funny though, because you don't realize how full you are until you actually remove yourself from the table.
    "The angel of death overlooked you and took the souls of your brothers
    And one day he’ll come to you and overlook others"

VISIT THIS SITE

Quote Originally Posted by Salams2All View Post
    It's funny though, because you don't realize how full you are until you actually remove yourself from the table.
    When you're hungry you naturally eat more to compensate for your lack of food. That's why this sunnah, while easy to say, is hard in practice during Ramadan because we're all hungry.

A good tip for this is to simply take your time when eating. Break your fast with three dates and a glass of water, then pray, make lots of dhikr, then eat a small portion of food. Then read Quran or whatever. Then if you are still hungry you can get more, but if you are good then alhamdulillah.
    Surah Yusuf

Did anyone try this sunnah out today?
    Surah Yusuf

1.68%er's

Did anyone try this sunnah out today?
    The Hastening to eat?

Tried it, my family gave me the bert stare.

Another Sunnah is up. May Allah make this the best Ramadan for all of you. And May He bless all of you with Jannatul Firdos. Ameen.
    Surah Yusuf

Sunnah for Day three is now up. Just got it in before the site went back to being wonky.
    Surah Yusuf

SubhanAllah, the beauty of the first sunnah is amazing. When you take your time to eat, you feel satisfied, energetic, and if it's suhur you feel like you have enough in you to last through the day. But as I sat down for iftar, I did feel the need to eat and eat fast. I'm naturally a fast eater, so I'm hoping that Ramadan will help calm me down in that sense. So you eat your dates and chew them properly, after you've eaten the third one you already feel somewhat full. Then you have a glass of water to quench your thirst. Then, because Imma Somali, I have a banana and then pray and rest a bit before having the rest of my iftar. My stomach has been fine and the best thing about it is, I'm getting rewarded for such a simple act. It all comes down to intention at the end of the day. Why are you eating slowly, why are you smiling, why are you doing this and doing that? Because you want to follow the Prophet (SAW) and gain Allah's favour. If that is your intention, then Allah will surely reward you...because Allah is awesome like that.

I was reading an article yesterday on a news site and it did mention overeating in Ramadan and it's side effects. I think this is a good read for us to see the dunya consequences of not overeating. Like I said before, it is harder because we haven't eaten and our bodies naturally want to eat a lot. But there is a hikmah in taking your time and not eating till you are full.
    Surah Yusuf

Sunnah for Day Four - praying Duha
    Surah Yusuf

Day 5 Sunnah - Neighbourly Love

I think this one might be the hardest really lol, but if we do it then inshaa'Allah Allah will make it easy for us.
    Surah Yusuf

Day 6: Intention & Bismillah
    Surah Yusuf

great thread.

Day 5 Sunnah - Neighbourly Love

I think this one might be the hardest really lol, but if we do it then inshaa'Allah Allah will make it easy for us.
    Definately. We sent over some food the other day to our non-muslim neighbours. Alhumdulillah he asked my husband questions about Ramadan etc so it's a good opportunity to talk about religion InshaAllah.
    Last edited by Nawar; 15-07-13 at 09:06 PM.
    so be patient, with a beautiful patience [70:5]

Quote Originally Posted by Nawar View Post
    Definately. We sent over some food over the other day to our non-muslim neighbours. Alhumdulillah he asked my husband questions about Ramadan etc so it's a good opportunity to talk about religion InshaAllah.
    I think sometimes we fear what others thing to the point that we don't realize that most people are just people. And most of the non Muslims we come across don't know anything about Islam.
    Surah Yusuf

Yay ummah is back, but I'm not in a computer so I'll be posting the next sunnahs later on today. InshaAllah
    Surah Yusuf

Most of the members are busy with life...and their spouses. But I kind of feel the same way as you. Ramadan was a lot more hyped up in the previous years, but now it's been pretty silent. That may be a good thing though, because it could mean:

1. People are busy preparing
    2. The true excitement will come once Ramadan hits and then everyone will become hyped up.

There are other reasons, but let's remain positive and try to do our parts in reminding others about Ramadan. Just think, people could be praying tarawiih tomorrow. That's a pretty big deal right there.
    I share the exact same sentiments. It's part of life I guess and having to accept some stuff (don't worry if you've no idea what I'm on about). You meet people in life, spend time with them, enjoy eachother's company but sadly your time together has come to an end in the Dunya. That's how it is for me but I've got to accept it this Ramadhan and do whatever is in my capability to make the most of it albeit without the same company. Still holding on to the previous ramadhans where I was with some of the best people who have been brought on this earth (Allah make them all of the best ameen). But our time together has come to an end and it's slightly tricky adjusting to this new situation of mine. Khair In Shaa Allah.

I'm not talking about forum members btw.
    Sorry if this is off topic pippin but words of motivation/encouragement would be useful
    Last edited by F_R; 19-07-13 at 03:25 PM.
    Do not misinterpret or add your own flow and ideas to my posts. Take it all at face value. If you don't understand something I've written then ask for clarification. I am not responsible for your thoughts or additions to my posts. You only have yourself to blame and I am free from what you attribute to me.

Quote Originally Posted by F_R View Post
    I share the exact same sentiments. It's part of life I guess and having to accept some stuff (don't worry if you've no idea what I'm on about). You meet people in life, spend time with them, enjoy eachother's company but sadly your time together has come to an end in the Dunya. That's how it is for me but I've got to accept it this Ramadhan and do whatever is in my capability to make the most of it albeit without the same company. Still holding on to the previous ramadhans where I was with some of the best people who have been brought on this earth (Allah make them all of the best ameen). But our time together has come to an end and it's slightly tricky adjusting to this new situation of mine. Khair In Shaa Allah.

I'm not talking about forum members btw.
    Sorry if this is off topic pippin but words of motivation/encouragement would be useful
    Not off topic

You know, I think there was a blessing in it not being as hyped out. Even if we're not with people who we loved before, or we're not going to tarwiih as much as the years before, I still think this Ramadan has been the best one so far. There is a quiet calmness to it that I love. And while I was initially worried by the length of time that we were not going to eat, it turned out to be so easy alhamdulillah. And when it's time for iftar or even suhoor when it's time to eat, you don't feel very hungry so you don't eat too much. It's all just very chill.

F_R, even if you don't feel the hype or the motivation or whatever, just sit down and think about how this Ramadan has been so far. When I did that, I was blown away and it made me want to get closer to Allah. Perhaps Allah realized that instead of being around people, we needed some alone time to really appreciate Him.
    Surah Yusuf

Sunnat 7, 8, 9 & 10 are now up.
    Surah Yusuf

Not off topic

You know, I think there was a blessing in it not being as hyped out. Even if we're not with people who we loved before, or we're not going to tarwiih as much as the years before, I still think this Ramadan has been the best one so far. There is a quiet calmness to it that I love. And while I was initially worried by the length of time that we were not going to eat, it turned out to be so easy alhamdulillah. And when it's time for iftar or even suhoor when it's time to eat, you don't feel very hungry so you don't eat too much. It's all just very chill.

F_R, even if you don't feel the hype or the motivation or whatever, just sit down and think about how this Ramadan has been so far. When I did that, I was blown away and it made me want to get closer to Allah. Perhaps Allah realized that instead of being around people, we needed some alone time to really appreciate Him.
    You're right. this is probably for a greater reason perhaps. Thanks Pips for this, got me thinking an I've now got to accept and internalise this (again I speak in code so don't worry if it's not entirely clear).

Do not misinterpret or add your own flow and ideas to my posts. Take it all at face value. If you don't understand something I've written then ask for clarification. I am not responsible for your thoughts or additions to my posts. You only have yourself to blame and I am free from what you attribute to me.

New Sunnah is up.

Quote Originally Posted by F_R View Post
    You're right. this is probably for a greater reason perhaps. Thanks Pips for this, got me thinking an I've now got to accept and internalise this (again I speak in code so don't worry if it's not entirely clear).

Wa Iyyakee.

I'm sure you'll find the blessing of this Ramadan once you think about it. And even if you don't, just reflect on the ayah when Allah says that there may be something you dislike but is khayr for you.
    Surah Yusuf

Day 12 is now up.
    Surah Yusuf

Ramadan is moving by too quickly
    Surah Yusuf

A different kind of sunnah for day 15, but it's one that is beautiful. Definitely try this one out.
    Surah Yusuf