Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Tafseer Class, Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Saturday 6:30pm GMT (7:30pm BST/GMT+1) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Umrah Newbie - advice/tips appreciated

I am going Umrah on Feb 2013 Inshallah, with family, flying from British Airways direct to Jeddah.

I have been told by several people that the saudi staff can be intimidating and unhelpful at Jeddah Airport. I want to know what the procedure is when your plane lands till you actually depart from airport to hotel.

Do you queue up to show visa first, and then pick up luggage from carousel, and then go see the people dressed in black who take your passport and check it before letting you go. Is it true, they will give passport to drivers only, and not in your hands.

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Umrah Newbie - advice/tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by JB0 View Post
    I am going Umrah on Feb 2013 Inshallah, with family, flying from British Airways direct to Jeddah.

I have been told by several people that the saudi staff can be intimidating and unhelpful at Jeddah Airport. I want to know what the procedure is when your plane lands till you actually depart from airport to hotel.

Do you queue up to show visa first, and then pick up luggage from carousel, and then go see the people dressed in black who take your passport and check it before letting you go. Is it true, they will give passport to drivers only, and not in your hands.

Any advice appreciated.
    Good question.

Your patience went on trial the day you handed your passport for visa to your agent

If the airliner has not handed you a landing card..for umra visit..the first thing you do is get hold of them in the terminal and then join a queue.

If some official ask you, just as it is your turn to go to the immigration officer, to move to another queue you simply comply and not argue. If you do, you lose the reward of your sabar and also bear in mind you are in Ihram besides the official will pay no attention to you.

You may well have to stand around a long time (happens to me every trip on the trip I make) and even longer if the particular kiosk's finger printing device is dysfunctional.

Therafter you go and get a luggage trolly (unless you want to pay the porters for it) and seek out your baggage.

Move to customs and manhandle the baggage through the X-ray screener and pick that up from the other end.

Brilliant...you have completed your arrival procedure ...well..almost.

As you exit out of the auto doors you will be faced by one or more young chaps demanding your passports. Some are -wait for it- polite and explain to you why whilst others may just try and snatch the passport from you.

Comply...comply and be happy. Non-compliance and you are the only one un-happy.

The chap will ask you to sit down whilst he takes the passport to the Tehsiliya office (if Saudi/south terminal) and you can see him. If it is international terminal, you will have to follow him out of the terminal, up a long ramp and into an adjacent car park.

They will log you in and hand passports to your umra company's (see the name in the umra visa) rep who will call your name and take you to your pre-arranged transport and hand passports to the driver.

Celebrate....you have overcome the hottest obstacle.

Now, on your way to Makkah with loud recitation of the talbiya.

Brother Ismail, your explaination like we are in Saudia Arabia in Jeddah and moving to Makkah now. I am quite excited while still waiting for Umrah Visa which may be coming in couple of days. What will happen with Passenger like me who are travelling via RUH?
    I am jut keep asking question from time to time and you are giving all of us quite good answers. Allah swt give you jaza for that. Ameen.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiq9857 View Post
    Brother Ismail, your explaination like we are in Saudia Arabia in Jeddah and moving to Makkah now. I am quite excited while still waiting for Umrah Visa which may be coming in couple of days. What will happen with Passenger like me who are travelling via RUH?
    I am jut keep asking question from time to time and you are giving all of us quite good answers. Allah swt give you jaza for that. Ameen.
    Thanks.

I am not too good at describing scenarios though.

For the disembarkation card, if not issued to you on board the flight to RUH, you will have to find the cards when you land and complete before approaching the immigration or else all your time waiting in the queue is wasted and you will be sent off by the officer.

So, immigration done and your baggage (if not pretagged to Jedda) is collected by you, you go through the motion of customs and out of the building and a brisk walk from the international terminal to the domestic one.

Go upstairs and checkin again for the flight to Jeddah. Find the masjid and go through the ihram change process.

For you arriving from RUH, I would assume you have donned the Ihram already before your flight from RUH to Jeddah If not, why not?

If yes, you are waiting for the announcement of the impending crossing of meeqat and prepare for your niyyah and reciting the Talbiya and encouraging others with you to do the same. Dont make it too loud as not everyone on your flight is on the way to Umra and they may feel inclined to ask you to take it easy.

The pilot will announce the approximate time to cross meeqat and that's when you make the niyyah for your umra and start the Talbiya and not before. Just because you have put the ihram on does not mean you are obliged to observe the umra manaseks.

Coming out of the domestic flight in Jedda you may well go past the tehsiliya. If no one bothers asking you for your passport than just head for your waiting transport or get one outside from the waiting taxi ranks.

That's it. Off to Makkah. Checkin hotel. Relax. Have a shower. If in good mental/physical state then head for the haram. Remember to bare your right shoulder when entering the haram unless you intend to offer salah. Talbiya all the way until commencing the tawaf.

Be mesmerised by the environment and the sheer vision of the Baitullah in front of you.

Wish I was there.

OMG. after reading brother ismails post, i wish i was right Makkah right now !!!

yaa rabb, make it easy for everyone to perform umrah/hajj every year with ease ameen

Aameen.

JAK brother ismail,
    very detail info will help us a lot, i still have a question, when do i get my passport back? i am flying ny saudi air New york to Jed, coming from Med to Jed by air which i bought it saperatly, in med airport will they ask me for my passprot or what document will they look for before they let me board the local flight?

If your question is about your passport gone to your agent for visa, then you should receive that back within a week of its submission to the consulate.

If you are asking about the scenario at Jedda, you are in possession of your passport all the time other than when the "Tehsiliya" officials demand it from you so as to log you into their system as having arrived. They will hand the passport back to the representative of the umra company (the name should be printed on the umra visa) or at least your agent should have told you whose company he is an agent for.

The umra company's rep (in arabic he is called a MANDOOB) will call your name and guide you to your pre-arranged transport and hand your passport to the driver who will hold it until you are dropped off near your hotel.

In Madina, your passport will be asked for to meet the security process to check you in for your domestic flight. It will also help them track your e ticket on their system. Nothing else.

Thank you Brother Ismail. This information will be very helpful to all of us, InshaAllah.

What if we don't have pre-arranged transport through our agent? What happens after you hand the passports to Teshliayas?

Thanks.

Assalaam wa alaykum Ismail,

Didn't want to start up another thread about this but just wondering where the entrance for Moevenpick Hajar Towers is? Is it through the main Abraj al Bait complex?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_S View Post
    Thank you Brother Ismail. This information will be very helpful to all of us, InshaAllah.

What if we don't have pre-arranged transport through our agent? What happens after you hand the passports to Teshliayas?

Thanks.
    The MANDOOB, if greedy, will get you in a car arranged by him and ask you to pay more than what it costs for cars from the taxi rank. If he is straight than he will simply hand you over to the taxi rank and you get the taxi at a rate reflecting the type of the vehicle. Normally, Jedda KAA (not haj terminal) to Makkah costs from SR140 to SR 180 or SR200 for a GMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaltoos View Post
    Assalaam wa alaykum Ismail,

Didn't want to start up another thread about this but just wondering where the entrance for Moevenpick Hajar Towers is? Is it through the main Abraj al Bait complex?

Yes, it is through the mall and left at the end of the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ismail Simjee View Post
    The MANDOOB, if greedy, will get you in a car arranged by him and ask you to pay more than what it costs for cars from the taxi rank. If he is straight than he will simply hand you over to the taxi rank and you get the taxi at a rate reflecting the type of the vehicle. Normally, Jedda KAA (not haj terminal) to Makkah costs from SR140 to SR 180 or SR200 for a GMC.
    Is it OK to argue with the "MANDOOB" to arrange my own transport? Or will that get me nowhere?
    I assume everyone at the airport would only speak in Arabic.

No point arguing with anyone as it wont get you anywhere and you will be spoiling your umra being in Ihram.

A few mandoobs do speak english or even urdu.

Got it. Thanks.

Jazakallah brother Ismail - great response.

Brother Ismail

Asak,

Thanks again for describing a good scenario for all of us. I pray that you should be there soon.

My agent Carvanehajj in NJ/USA informed me that my family passports 6 adults + 2 kids came back with visa. It took exactly one week. Alhamdolillah.

We all are really really excited to be there although we all are not first timer but travelling after long time. I am travelling there after 1997.

Please pray for all of us going for Umrah soon.

W/salaam.
    Rafiq

Jazakallah Khairan.

You chose an excellent agent for your tour.

Abdul Waheed, the owner of Caravan, is a well experienced brother and in this work since a very long time. I know him well.

If you went just three years ago you would have found a huge change in the demography over there. As it is, according to you, you are visiting again after a long time....a sea change has taken place and continues..

If your question is about your passport gone to your agent for visa, then you should receive that back within a week of its submission to the consulate.

If you are asking about the scenario at Jedda, you are in possession of your passport all the time other than when the "Tehsiliya" officials demand it from you so as to log you into their system as having arrived. They will hand the passport back to the representative of the umra company (the name should be printed on the umra visa) or at least your agent should have told you whose company he is an agent for.

The umra company's rep (in arabic he is called a MANDOOB) will call your name and guide you to your pre-arranged transport and hand your passport to the driver who will hold it until you are dropped off near your hotel.

In Madina, your passport will be asked for to meet the security process to check you in for your domestic flight. It will also help them track your e ticket on their system. Nothing else.
    Brother Ismail! Many thanks for useful information. What if someone like me who has booked ummrah (flight+accommodation+transport) with out agent and got the ummrah visa (through agent). Who would be my MANDOOB than? I've not paid any transportation fee to my Visa agent (just visa fee paid). I'm expecting my cousin (works in Jeddah) to receive me and drop to my prebooked hotel in Makkah. I'm travelling by next week.

Any thoughts?

JAK

Quote Originally Posted by Gulyana View Post
    Brother Ismail! Many thanks for useful information. What if someone like me who has booked ummrah (flight+accommodation+transport) with out agent and got the ummrah visa (through agent). Who would be my MANDOOB than? I've not paid any transportation fee to my Visa agent (just visa fee paid). I'm expecting my cousin (works in Jeddah) to receive me and drop to my prebooked hotel in Makkah. I'm travelling by next week.

Any thoughts?

JAK
    Look inside your visa and you will see the name of the umra company.

The mandoob will be from that company.

You may likely get away with your relatives collecting you from the airport but can be stopped. If stopped by the MoH the umra company will be in trouble. If stopped by the mandoob than he is entitled to preventing you under the umra contractual obligations and you will have to agree to take the transport he may offer.

Your agent, who got you the visa should have told you all this.

Look inside your visa and you will see the name of the umra company.

The mandoob will be from that company.

You may likely get away with your relatives collecting you from the airport but can be stopped. If stopped by the MoH the umra company will be in trouble. If stopped by the mandoob than he is entitled to preventing you under the umra contractual obligations and you will have to agree to take the transport he may offer.

Your agent, who got you the visa should have told you all this.
    Much appreciated your reply. My agent did not explain anything. What do you advice shall I prearrange transport from Jeddah airport to Makkah through my agent/any other agent or shall I leave it on Mandoob (may be expensive though).

Someone told me airport transport to Makkah is normally included in fee we pay visa agent. Is it correct?

JAK

Thanks brother Ismail.

Yes, brother Waheed is very experienced in Airline and Hajj/Umrah business. I collected my family passport from him today and he explained the complete procedure to me. Inshallah we are travelling on Feb 8 for Umrah via RUH.

Please pray for all of us. Thanks again for all your guidance to all of us.

Regards
    Rafiq

Quote Originally Posted by Gulyana View Post
    Much appreciated your reply. My agent did not explain anything. What do you advice shall I prearrange transport from Jeddah airport to Makkah through my agent/any other agent or shall I leave it on Mandoob (may be expensive though).

Someone told me airport transport to Makkah is normally included in fee we pay visa agent. Is it correct?

JAK
    One of the reason of my asking about who the agent is so that I can give you further clarifications.

You can PM me the name if you are hesitant to name him on the forum here.

Brother ismail,
    can you please explain about bearing right shoulder when entering Haram.
    What i know is we have to take ihram under the right arm so it opens right shoulder when doinw tawaf.
    JazaakAllah

One of the reason of my asking about who the agent is so that I can give you further clarifications.

You can PM me the name if you are hesitant to name him on the forum here.
    Visas from this agent covers transfer to Makkah from Jedda on a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by akash18 View Post
    Brother ismail,
    can you please explain about bearing right shoulder when entering Haram.
    What i know is we have to take ihram under the right arm so it opens right shoulder when doinw tawaf.
    JazaakAllah
    The manasek of Umra Tawaf includes the process of "IJTIBA" for men. This requires him to bare his right shoulder at the point of entry into the Haram when you intend to commence your umra. However, if you intend to offer any missed salah or join a salah to begin soon, than you must remain covered until the salah is over.
    It is to pass the ihram under the armpit of your rigyt side and drape it over the left shoulder thus baring the right shoulder.

Once you start the tawaf, the first three round are to be done in "RAMAL" which is to do the round at an increased pace of walk or appearing like a slow run.

Once the tawaf is over you cover your shoulder again, offer two rakah nifil salah called tahaiyat ul tawaf preferably behing the Maqam Ibrahim but anywhere else in the greater masjid's boundary.

You than drink zamzam and make ISTILAAM of the Kaba before proceeding on to the Safa hill to commence your Sai of the umra. The shoulder is covered.

JazakAllah

Our flight will arrive in Jeddah at 2 pm inshaAllah. Based on your experience what timeframe do you think we will arrive in Makkah if everything goes averagely smooth at the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_S View Post
    Our flight will arrive in Jeddah at 2 pm inshaAllah. Based on your experience what timeframe do you think we will arrive in Makkah if everything goes averagely smooth at the airport?
    It should be around 3 to 4 hours depending your transport arrangement. If you have bus/coach arrangment they will get it to filled in. If you have your exclusive transport for your family, they will put you on your transport. The travel time from Jeddah airport is around 90-120 minutes to your hotel. If your transport is reaching around salah timing then traffic around may increase your time to reach to your hotel.

Regards
    Rafiq

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Let me introduce myself, my name is Adnan Saleem and i live in London, i run a travel agency. just like you bring to your attentions that those brothers and sisters who are wishing to go for Umrah (Mashallah) it's still not too late to go. we here book flights and hotels along with doing visa's. please visit my website at www.askflights.com or better if you wish to speak to me then you can call our office number on 0207 101 9282. i will try my level best to provide you the best price in the market. Mashallah i have already sent many brothers and sisters to Umrah with there families, and wish to send anyone who wishes to go.

Jazakallah.

Adnan.