Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: Are you scared of driving?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (if so, why)

9 28.13%
  • No, I'm not

20 62.50%
  • No, I've overcome my fear (how?)

3 9.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Odan

Are you scared of driving?

Salams everybody,

Just wondering whether you are scared of driving or not. If so, why?

Reason I ask is because my mother has her full license but hasn't driven in a while. She is now "scared" of driving all of a sudden and was wondering of ways to help her overcome this. Would the "practice makes perfect" saying work here?

Actually getting her to drive again is a bit hard, so if you have any advice to share would be great. She's not a bad driver, used to cheer her on as we pull up to the drive way and she like speeds into the garage to park the car haha.

I myself don't have my full license but will get it in a months time, and maybe will try and help her because she has become reliant on another person to go places (which I don't mind helping btw, but would like her to be how she was, driving around etc)

Re: Are you scared of driving?

I passed on my first test but wasnt confident after passing, I dont know how I passed first time to be honest. Prayers me thinks

tell her to take some extra lessons just to get her back into the swing of things
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

I dont know how to drive, so I guess.. yes I do have a fear.

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    I passed on my first test but wasnt confident after passing, I dont know how I passed first time to be honest. Prayers me thinks

tell her to take some extra lessons just to get her back into the swing of things
    I failed my first test for not physically checking my blindspot mirrors , even though I had two small blindspot mirrors on either side of the car, and in turn left it for another 4 months before I booked my test again... Should have booked it sooner and not been such a sore looser about it (after the test, the assessor says try to have a good day lol) and I actually had exams the following week and actually took time out to practice... but now I'm in the process of getting my provisional license, have to wait a mandatory 6 months -_- even though I've completed my logbook hours already lol...

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by *Aisha View Post
    I dont know how to drive, so I guess.. yes I do have a fear.
    Hey you thought of giving it a go sister?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous12 View Post
    I failed my first test for not physically checking my blindspot mirrors , even though I had two small blindspot mirrors on either side of the car, and in turn left it for another 4 months before I booked my test again... Should have booked it sooner and not been such a sore looser about it (after the test, the assessor says try to have a good day lol) and I actually had exams the following week and actually took time out to practice... but now I'm in the process of getting my provisional license, have to wait a mandatory 6 months -_- even though I've completed my logbook hours already lol...
    ahh

that sucks, but all in good time

try and pass asap, they are trying to discourage ppl from passing as they want less cars on the roads
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Hey you thought of giving it a go sister?
    wallah no never ever

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    ahh

that sucks, but all in good time

try and pass asap, they are trying to discourage ppl from passing as they want less cars on the roads
    wow ikr, I live in Australia btw, they are making it harder and harder to pass. Thankfully I just have a computer test before I can get my provisionals, should be easy.

Lol in my last practical test, I had a young guy around 20 years old, was a bit weird cas I'm 18 and he had a bit of an attitude, plus it was raining. Alhamdulillah he kind of skipped over a ton of things, but I had to do my test in the rain with little visibility, almost missed a turn... had to do the parking section in front of the driving center and wow that was my best parking ever (i'm bad at parking lol); I remember distinctively reverse parking and as I'm going back I'm staring in my mirrors to see the lines and I'm saying Bismillah, please ya Allah help me, and it came out perfect .

Odan

wallah no never ever
    As they say you never know until you don't try it, its fun too . Also trying to convince my sister to get her license... thing is wherever she wants to go, someone else has to go cas she can't drive lol...

But yeah give it a shot sister.

As they say you never know until you don't try it, its fun too . Also trying to convince my sister to get her license... thing is wherever she wants to go, someone else has to go cas she can't drive lol...

But yeah give it a shot sister.
    no thx,im fine being drove around

Odan

no thx,im fine being drove around
    alright... your missing out on those awesome moments at the traffic light, racing someone who thinks they are good .

*brb gotta overtake this old grandma*

Im scared to drive. Plus I think it's more of a man's thing. Except for my mom, she is a pro Ma shaa ALLAH.

I'd rather be droven around, but I'd like to give it a go. Mom said I'll learn this summer.
    Haterz gonna hate
    AND ~PRINCESSE DOESN'T CARE
    ~Too cool for you~
    My blog:
    https://pikiyoyo.wordpress.com

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by ~Princesse View Post
    Im scared to drive. Plus I think it's more of a man's thing. Except for my mom, she is a pro Ma shaa ALLAH.

I'd rather be droven around, but I'd like to give it a go. Mom said I'll learn this summer.
    Awesome, yeah there's no harm in trying. Even if your scared, which you will or won't be on your first try just practice in like dead empty roads and should build your confidence up like that.

For me after my first driving sessions, ankle would always be sore :/ dad telling me to brake, accelerate, brake and your leg aint used to it so expect that lol... Oh and don't make the mistake of having ur right foot on accelerator and left foot on brakes haha, that's how I thought it was done, but nope... all your right foot.

Mashallah that's good to hear about your mum, she doesn't happen to be the ones who drive a big 4WD? lol

i learned my driving from NFS , and i drive without a license xD

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    i learned my driving from NFS , and i drive without a license xD
    lols oh yeah weren't you the one that posted up that pic of a tricycle earlier? -_-

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous12:5024769

Awesome, yeah there's no harm in trying. Even if your scared, which you will or won't be on your first try just practice in like dead empty roads and should build your confidence up like that.

For me after my first driving sessions, ankle would always be sore :/ dad telling me to brake, accelerate, brake and your leg aint used to it so expect that lol... Oh and don't make the mistake of having ur right foot on accelerator and left foot on brakes haha, that's how I thought it was done, but nope... all your right foot.

Mashallah that's good to hear about your mum, she doesn't happen to be the ones who drive a big 4WD? lol
    Yes, I've always thought it was two feet on the brakes and accelerators lol

I'm not scared, just nervous. But all in good time .

My mom drives a golf. She hates them big cars.
    Haterz gonna hate
    ~Too cool for you~
    My blog:

Odan

lol inshallah, and once you get the hang of it, it should be fun for like the first year, but then gets boring, having to takepeople around, unable to sleep in the car while someone else drives .

For me the best thing is the take off at the traffic lights, fun to race people.. but also dangerous just know ur limits.

wallah no never ever
    salaams to all

Anonymous12:
    shes from Saudi
    dont you know how strict they are about that?

would be a big problem if she wanted to learn how to drive

driving is just a means of getting yourself to places to do things
    its not an end in itself
    so, if she has transport available that can take her where she needs to go- no problem

and Allah ta'ala knows best
    jazakallah
    Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
    very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous12:5024894

lol inshallah, and once you get the hang of it, it should be fun for like the first year, but then gets boring, having to takepeople around, unable to sleep in the car while someone else drives.

For me the best thing is the take off at the traffic lights, fun to race people.. but also dangerous just know ur limits.
    Yes In shaa ALLAH. I'm sure it will be fun. I shouldn't be too bored of it since I'm not going to transport everyone.

Racing seems to get everyone excited. Will try that too... I like car games.
    Haterz gonna hate
    ~Too cool for you~
    My blog:

Over it.

I am petrified of driving.

I'm a very nervous passenger as it is, I know I wouldn't be good as a driver.

I prefer walking. Walking is nice, peaceful and stress-free.

If I ever do learn, I'm going automatic. There's no point in making life even more stressful for myself by attempting to multi-task with a clutch...no, thank you.
    "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by msmoorad View Post
    salaams to all

Anonymous12:
    shes from Saudi
    dont you know how strict they are about that?

would be a big problem if she wanted to learn how to drive

driving is just a means of getting yourself to places to do things
    its not an end in itself
    so, if she has transport available that can take her where she needs to go- no problem

and Allah ta'ala knows best
    jazakallah
    No not really, but thank you for bringing it up, my bad.

Nope, drive all the time. Why yesterday to go to Friday I drove to a far away masjid during a lot of snow. So I saw cars slipping, almost slipped a few times myself. It was a good time, just let the car do its thing when turning, its natural momentum will do the trick and minimize the chance of slipping. Also one would have to drive significantly slower than the limit. I remember the one time I did a double 360 on the road though, ended up facing opposing traffic XD

But yeah, driving. Good times, you can listen to all sorts of good things on the mp3 player too.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by mizfissy815 View Post
    I am petrified of driving.

I'm a very nervous passenger as it is, I know I wouldn't be good as a driver.

I prefer walking. Walking is nice, peaceful and stress-free.

If I ever do learn, I'm going automatic. There's no point in making life even more stressful for myself by attempting to multi-task with a clutch...no, thank you.
    Allah make it easy for you inshallah. Mind me asking you wat exactly makes you "petrified" of driving?

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by علي View Post
    Nope, drive all the time. Why yesterday to go to Friday I drove to a far away masjid during a lot of snow. So I saw cars slipping, almost slipped a few times myself. It was a good time, just let the car do its thing when turning, its natural momentum will do the trick and minimize the chance of slipping. Also one would have to drive significantly slower than the limit. I remember the one time I did a double 360 on the road though, ended up facing opposing traffic XD

But yeah, driving. Good times, you can listen to all sorts of good things on the mp3 player too.
    agreed. lol driving in snowy weather sounds hectic. Here in Australia roads are empty but speed limits and traps suck really bad :/ on highways 100km/hr limit when you could safely do 140, which no one will do because of the speed cameras and what not; could really put your car to gd use here...

I'm too lazy to get my learners.
    Nothing is impossible with Allah

Oh yeah just remembered, saw the funniest thing yesterday. There was this SUV making a left turn from a road connecting to the one I'm on, to my left. So he does it and I'm a bit far behind him. He makes the turn but at the end he slips and slips so that his car was sideways on the road while still going a bit forward. He ends up facing a neighboring road that says "One way, do not enter", and this kid drives right in, like that's what he intended to do the whole time. I was laughing so hard, yeah buddy, you totally meant to do that
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

الحمد لله‎

i cannot afford to be scared of driving, i have to drive on highways you see

and i didn't drive for two full years after initially getting my license, and when i finally did, a cousin gave me a few driving lessons to build my confidence and rid me of whatever fear i had re. driving before i hit the road on my own, maybe you should do the same with your mother
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

Odan

Only in the winter. Last winter I was driving my mothers van and it had really old all season tires and I was slipping, sliding, driving into incoming traffic, going through red lights, rear ending cars etc. Definitely an experience. I have studded winter tires on my car now so i'm not as scared anymore.

Go to some private land.. Or empty car park... And go crazy!

I like to do this when I get a new car to see how it handles

Account Disabled

Ive been driving since 16. I'm only scared of driving when I'm on four lane highway going to a different state since deer run into the highway and get killed so much :/ and that'll cause a huge accident.

Actually my sister is scared of driving she's 21 and I still drive her everywhere but I yhink she's scared of cars since she got hit when she was little and I think I'll try teaching her on a empty parking lot than small street than the Main Streets. Take it slow and be patient.

I started driving in a busy street after a 5 minute lesson. Go figure.

I drive a F150, that takes extra skills
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

Im the only one in my family who doesn't want to drive my bro and sisters are so excited at the thought of being able to drive. They look at me like i am a weirdo when i tell them that i don't want to learn how to drive. The thought of driving scares me i have no idea why..: :/

Quote Originally Posted by علي View Post

I slipped couple of times. the streets were a disaster yesterday.
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

practice a lot gets rid of scared

Quote Originally Posted by -MA- View Post
    Go to some private land.. Or empty car park... And go crazy!

I like to do this when I get a new car to see how it handles
    Lol.

@ OP: Keep your mom practicing. In every little thing, going to a relative's house, supermarket, wherever! She'll get more confident but stay away from speeding. In fact, she should take things moderately slow at first, to get the hang of it all. the idea of roads with less traffic/ at less traffic times for practice is a good one.
    “Truly, God does not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.” (Quran 13:11)
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
    ― Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by samin62 View Post
    I started driving in a busy street after a 5 minute lesson. Go figure.

I drive a F150, that takes extra skills
    u think that requires skill? ... u should drive a mehran euro 2 , jz look at its state of the art specs.

drivings pretty cool but i no longer have a ride ...howveer, the only possibly scary times are when trying to ahem reverse park like yano those stupid shopping bays and theres cars on both sides...my heart does race a lil cos i dnt wanna crash into either side in case i miscalculated lol

Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    u think that requires skill? ... u should drive a mehran euro 2 , jz look at its state of the art specs.
    I am not worthy

Lost in Islamic History

Quote Originally Posted by samin62 View Post
    I am not worthy
    u see that ... doesnt even have a power stearing and its a 1 time crash disposable.

شان

Salaam,

Yes I drive, and I drive because it is essential to anything I do. Whether I need to go to the supermarket or go to work or go to the masjid, I need a car cause If I walk it will take me an hour to get to Masjid, and plus it makes life easier. It is scary at first, but over time like brother Ali said let the car do its normal thing. I have done a little bit of performance driving and have gone through a skid pan (you slide your car around and learn how to be in control of it on a track) and high speed course where the highest speed was 120 (but don't do this on a freeway unless it is an emergency or else it become a coffin on wheels..lol.) Anyways it's not to difficult to drive in the snow or rain but caution is good and remember, your friends and family that drive with you are trusting you with their lives and I don't take that responsibility lightly. I also got my license when I was 16 because that is the legal age that you can qualify for a license here in California (and trust me, no traffic beats Los Angeles traffic.) For those of you considering getting a license in the near future, good luck, driving becomes easy after some practice....