Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Muslim Marriage events, any good?

Asalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulahi Wa Baraktuh

I wanted to ask (if you have attended one) what's your experience of Muslim Marriage Events?

I looked up a couple of them and how they work, and most are saying that the group is split then on each table there is 4 brothers, 4 sisters, and you communicate within a group discussion. Or, like speed dating, 3 minutes sitting opposite a table and being buzzed or moved around like a cattle market, and then if you like someone, details are passed and blah blah blah
    I feel uncomfortable with this, but maybe it's better than it sounds?
    Last edited by ღ♥ Khadijah♥ღ; 19-01-13 at 04:29 PM.
    I am raising funds to go towards my brothers charity 'James Journey' for alternative crucial treatments at his Rehab Centre to aid his recovery after suffering severe brain damage after a road traffic accident. http://gogetfunding.com/project/james-journey via @GoGetFunding to donate. Jazak Allaah Khairun

Re: Muslim Marriage events, any good?

Salaam,

I know a few people who have been to these events and the general consensus is they are a waste of time. A lot of the people that turn up aren't really serious and just looking for a laugh i.e. they go with mates.

Tbh, it sounds quite silly
    Haterz gonna hate
    AND ~PRINCESSE DOESN'T CARE
    ~Too cool for you~
    My blog:
    https://pikiyoyo.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Starman1 View Post
    Salaam,

I know a few people who have been to these events and the general consensus is they are a waste of time. A lot of the people that turn up aren't really serious and just looking for a laugh i.e. they go with mates.
    I heard this too Suban'Allaah
    Some events I looked at, you can't go with friends and can only take your Mehram. The bad reviews out weight the bad so far
    I am raising funds to go towards my brothers charity 'James Journey' for alternative crucial treatments at his Rehab Centre to aid his recovery after suffering severe brain damage after a road traffic accident. http://gogetfunding.com/project/james-journey via @GoGetFunding to donate. Jazak Allaah Khairun

Quote Originally Posted by ღ♥ Khadijah♥ღ View Post

I wanted to ask (if you have attended one) what's your experience of Muslim Marriage Events?

I looked up a couple of them and how they work, and most are saying that the group is split then on each table there is 4 brothers, 4 sisters, and you communicate within a group discussion. Or, like speed dating, 3 minutes sitting opposite a table and being buzzed or moved around like a cattle market, and then if you like someone, details are passed and blah blah blah
    Wa Alaykumus Salaam,

I've attended three events organised by Muslim Marriage Events. The first time I went was in Sept 2012, it was for 'under 30s professionals'. The second and third time I went were in December 2012, these were for 'Indian professionals' and 'practising professionals' respectively.

In all the events I attended, the structure was the same throughout. Participants come in, register, hand their profiles in, get a badge with a number, and then take a seat on either side of the room (one side for females and the other for males). Snacks (tea, biscuits and water) are available on a table near the back of the room.

In all three events that I went to, none started on time (at least an hour after the advertised time). I suppose this was due to participants not being punctual.

The event began with a power point presentation by one of the organisers (I think his name is Mizan). He went over the structure of the event and mentioned tips and advice on how to seek a partner (such as how to write a decent profile, where to look, expectations etc). This presentation lasts around 30 minutes or so.

Once the presentation is over, the chairs in the room are rearranged in groups of three or four circles (depending on the number of participants) and people are randomly put into these circles so each circle has roughly 50/50 males and females.

The organisers then set a topic for all of the circles to discuss amongst each other (if you went to school in the UK, its kind of like 'circle time' lol). So one by one, everyone in the circles speaks on the mentioned topic. Once every one has spoken, the guys from each circle move onto the next circle whilst the females remain seated. In this manner, another topic (different to the previous one) is set by the organisers and everyone speaks about it.

The first topic in all of the events that I attended has always been 'Introduce yourself, tell the group where you're from, occupation, siblings etc'.
    Here is a list of topics they set in the events that I went to:

Mention your favourite music and if you don't listen to music, explain why?
    Mention your favourite or latest book you read.
    Describe your ideal wedding day/venue.
    What are you looking for in a potential partner?
    Describe yourself using only one word.
    Mention one annoying thing about you.
    What is your favourite colour and why?

Before the discussions begin, every participant is given a pen and paper to note the number from the badge of anyone they find interesting. Once all group discussions are over, male profiles are posted on one side of the room and female profiles on the other. Participants can have a look at these, during this time participants are able to request an individual meeting (with mahrams if present) in another room through the organisers with anyone they found interesting.

In all the events I went to, I found that I was one of the youngest there (I'm 25). Most if not all the participants were in their late 20s or beyond. Every time I went, there were a variety of people (good and bad). I couldn't tell with the females but amongst the males there were guys who came with mates and were casually laughing and joking throughout - I think it was an insecurity issue for them as it can be quite daunting speaking in front of strangers.

The organisers could improve things in certain areas. Once they set the topic 'Mention your favourite music and if you don't listen to music, explain why?' which I found odd seeing as the event is called 'Muslim Marriage events'. Having attended three different events, I got the impression, the main organiser, Mizan tends adapt his delivery to the masses (in an unsettling way), for example the music topic was set in the under 30s professional event. In the indian one, he asked us if anyone has read the 'baga vita' (I have no idea what that is, something to do with indian history). In the practising professionals, he quoted quran verses and ahadeeth more than usual. He does tend to go on quite a bit, sometimes without really making any sense - he makes some bad (not funny) jokes. Also timing could be improved.

As I mentioned, before in each event, a variety of people did attend however 95% of them were older than me. I wouldn't rule out attending one in the future but I would be a lot more particular about which one I go to (would attend one where majority of the females are roughly same age or younger than me).

Apologies, if you found this a chore to read, I was in the same position as you before I attended and couldn't really find any detailed info on the event. Found it really daunting when I went to the first one.

Walaikam Aslam

I've not attended one but was going to, if you do decide to go then most defo take a mehram with you

Quote Originally Posted by shezad View Post
    Walaikam Aslam

I've not attended one but was going to, if you do decide to go then most defo take a mehram with you
    Definatly MashAllaah and the one's I've seen advertised don't let you attend without a mehram, so that's good Alhamdulliah

Quote Originally Posted by wisdom-17 View Post
    Wa Alaykumus Salaam,

I've attended three events organised by Muslim Marriage Events. The first time I went was in Sept 2012, it was for 'under 30s professionals'. The second and third time I went were in December 2012, these were for 'Indian professionals' and 'practising professionals' respectively.

In all the events I attended, the structure was the same throughout. Participants come in, register, hand their profiles in, get a badge with a number, and then take a seat on either side of the room (one side for females and the other for males). Snacks (tea, biscuits and water) are available on a table near the back of the room.

In all three events that I went to, none started on time (at least an hour after the advertised time). I suppose this was due to participants not being punctual.

The event began with a power point presentation by one of the organisers (I think his name is Mizan). He went over the structure of the event and mentioned tips and advice on how to seek a partner (such as how to write a decent profile, where to look, expectations etc). This presentation lasts around 30 minutes or so.

Once the presentation is over, the chairs in the room are rearranged in groups of three or four circles (depending on the number of participants) and people are randomly put into these circles so each circle has roughly 50/50 males and females.

The organisers then set a topic for all of the circles to discuss amongst each other (if you went to school in the UK, its kind of like 'circle time' lol). So one by one, everyone in the circles speaks on the mentioned topic. Once every one has spoken, the guys from each circle move onto the next circle whilst the females remain seated. In this manner, another topic (different to the previous one) is set by the organisers and everyone speaks about it.

The first topic in all of the events that I attended has always been 'Introduce yourself, tell the group where you're from, occupation, siblings etc'.

Before the discussions begin, every participant is given a pen and paper to note the number from the badge of anyone they find interesting. Once all group discussions are over, male profiles are posted on one side of the room and female profiles on the other. Participants can have a look at these, during this time participants are able to request an individual meeting (with mahrams if present) in another room through the organisers with anyone they found interesting.

In all the events I went to, I found that I was one of the youngest there (I'm 25). Most if not all the participants were in their late 20s or beyond. Every time I went, there were a variety of people (good and bad). I couldn't tell with the females but amongst the males there were guys who came with mates and were casually laughing and joking throughout - I think it was an insecurity issue for them as it can be quite daunting speaking in front of strangers.

The organisers could improve things in certain areas. Once they set the topic 'Mention your favourite music and if you don't listen to music, explain why?' which I found odd seeing as the event is called 'Muslim Marriage events'. Having attended three different events, I got the impression, the main organiser, Mizan tends adapt his delivery to the masses (in an unsettling way), for example the music topic was set in the under 30s professional event. In the indian one, he asked us if anyone has read the 'baga vita' (I have no idea what that is, something to do with indian history). In the practising professionals, he quoted quran verses and ahadeeth more than usual. He does tend to go on quite a bit, sometimes without really making any sense - he makes some bad (not funny) jokes. Also timing could be improved.

As I mentioned, before in each event, a variety of people did attend however 95% of them were older than me. I wouldn't rule out attending one in the future but I would be a lot more particular about which one I go to (would attend one where majority of the females are roughly same age or younger than me).

Apologies, if you found this a chore to read, I was in the same position as you before I attended and couldn't really find any detailed info on the event. Found it really daunting when I went to the first one.
    Mash'Allaah check that for a post ^^^
    My reply will be short and lame lol

This is such a great insight to what happens, as I had read a little on advertisements but they won't say the nitty gritty and the bad

I feel comfortable in groups, so that's not a problem, maybe just a little quiet as obviously there's men there, but that's where my Mehram would come in use. I don't like the part about people there with their 'mates'.... maybe take a friend for support but not 'mates'...this makes me feel a little scared lol!

I would be looking for a 'Practising all colours 24-32 event'.. lol< doubt that, but subanAllaah most the ones I see I don't fit the criteria as I'm not a professional, and I'm not Asian. I'll keep my eyes out In shaa Allaah

What music do you like? Hmm..good conversation starter, but my answer would be 'I don't..because Allaah said..', conversation over, ha!
    I'd like more Islamic based and life style questions, c'mon, favourite colour?....

Jazak'Allaah Khairun soooo much for your run down of the events you have attended, this has made me more aware of what goes on, so I'm not so unprepared

Mash'Allaah check that for a post ^^^
    My reply will be short and lame lol

This is such a great insight to what happens, as I had read a little on advertisements but they won't say the nitty gritty and the bad

I feel comfortable in groups, so that's not a problem, maybe just a little quiet as obviously there's men there, but that's where my Mehram would come in use. I don't like the part about people there with their 'mates'.... maybe take a friend for support but not 'mates'...this makes me feel a little scared lol!

I would be looking for a 'Practising all colours 24-32 event'.. lol< doubt that, but subanAllaah most the ones I see I don't fit the criteria as I'm not a professional, and I'm not Asian. I'll keep my eyes out In shaa Allaah

What music do you like? Hmm..good conversation starter, but my answer would be 'I don't..because Allaah said..', conversation over, ha!
    I'd like more Islamic based and life style questions, c'mon, favourite colour?....

Jazak'Allaah Khairun soooo much for your run down of the events you have attended, this has made me more aware of what goes on, so I'm not so unprepared

Before the group sessions start they ask all the mahrams/friends to leave the room and wait in another room. They are allowed back in after the group sessions are over and can sit in with you if you have any one to one meetings.

They also have events for reverts and for people of other ethnic backgrounds such as Somalian, Arab etc. Although the events are targeted at people from particular ethnicities or professions, they do mention in the event description that people who are not from such a background are also welcome to attend if they are open to marrying people from the said ethnicity or profession.

Definatly MashAllaah and the one's I've seen advertised don't let you attend without a mehram, so that's good Alhamdulliah
    Even better, this way nobody can act out of order. I've tried Shaadi.com, Singlemuslim.com but it wasn't a pleasent experience, but I have heard from friends that the sites work for some folk. At the moment I've registered with a local Matrimonial Agency, my mother liases with sister in charge of the service, nothings happened marriage wise yet but I've found the sister in charge excellent in arranging potential rishtae. So you could try an agency if nothing transpires (but Inshallah I hope it does transpire)

الحمد لله‎

i'm laughing out loud, what on earth is wrong with muslims?! subhanAllah

please stay away from such events sis
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

Laughing out loud about what exactly?

Account Disabled

I have just signed up to this

http://www.hadithoftheday.com/inspiration/3156/

Should be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Safaa View Post

Should be interesting
    JazakAllah for sharing this. I've signed up too.

Account Disabled

JazakAllah for sharing this. I've signed up too.
    Wa iyakum

Quote Originally Posted by .Hajar. View Post

i'm laughing out loud, what on earth is wrong with muslims?! subhanAllah

please stay away from such events sis

I have done, that's why I haven't been to any and posted here for info
    Jazak'Allaah khairun

From the responses, It does sound as bad as I thought it sounded from the description.

Wisdom-17- I'm very uncomfortable with the fact your Mehram is told to leave

Think I'll be avoiding these events In shaa Allaah.

Jazak'Allaah Khairun for all the information!

Fairdo's that is kinda dodgy, I'm glad I've never been to one, I think I'll stick to my current method

BarakAllah feek. I don't blame you. I wasn't convinced by the organisers integrity, he came across as a really bad salesman.

Fairdo's that is kinda dodgy, I'm glad I've never been to one, I think I'll stick to my current method
    Do share your current method

BarakAllah feek. I don't blame you. I wasn't convinced by the organisers integrity, he came across as a really bad salesman.
    Suban'Allaah, I pray these events are turned into more beneficial ones where Islamic boundaries are upheld.

الحمد لله‎

the 'halal speed dating' thing

Laughing out loud about what exactly?
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

Salam everybody

i've been to many marriage events over the years - some good - some alittle mis-matched....but in general i reckon they offer an additional avenue for single muslims

here's an up and coming event which has been setup in Tooting (a large muslim community):

www.yourmuslimmarriage.co.uk

hope this helps

masalaam

Quote Originally Posted by Safaa View Post

Should be interesting
    I signed up to this too. Filled in the application form. They have sent me an email saying tickets for events are going to be 80. Sounds a bit too expensive to me or am I just being silly?

I signed up to this too. Filled in the application form. They have sent me an email saying tickets for events are going to be 80. Sounds a bit too expensive to me or am I just being silly?
    It states ticket price is 20.00

Event Details

When: Sunday 24th March, Time: 2:00pm (prompt start) - until 7:00pm

Where: Mushkil Aasaan Hall, 222 Upper Tooting Road, London, SW17 7EW (right next door to Nandos)

Price: 20.00 per ticket (Female's Chaperones Free - Male chaperone preferred)

Please Note: The registration deadline is Saturday 16th March. Thereafter, tickets will be charged at 30.00 each.

As soon as you have registered below, we will email you a payment request and details.

Quote Originally Posted by Starship View Post
    It states ticket price is 20.00

Event Details

When: Sunday 24th March, Time: 2:00pm (prompt start) - until 7:00pm

Where: Mushkil Aasaan Hall, 222 Upper Tooting Road, London, SW17 7EW (right next door to Nandos)

Price: 20.00 per ticket (Female's Chaperones Free - Male chaperone preferred)

Please Note: The registration deadline is Saturday 16th March. Thereafter, tickets will be charged at 30.00 each.

As soon as you have registered below, we will email you a payment request and details.
    I was referring to the event in the message that I replied to. The one organised by hadeeth of the day.

80.00 is very expensive just for an event. THe most expensive I have seen advertised is 59.00 and that was organised by singlemuslim.com. My friends attended and they were not impressed.

I would ask the organisers how they are justifying 80.00 for an event. What is it they are offering? They cant guarantee you a bride at the event lol so why are they asking for such extorionate amounts of money. Its just that....extortion!

salamalaikum.

could someone tell me what the demographics is roughly; do you get an even spread of muslims?

Quote Originally Posted by .Hajar. View Post
    the 'halal speed dating' thing
    HALAL Speed Dating lol Astagfirullah, maybe they should rename it 'Speed Marriage/Nikah'
    He who loses money, loses much.

He who loses a friend, loses more.

He who loses faith, loses ALL.

Salam Brother & Sisters

I organise Muslim Marriage Events in Birmingham, www.stareventsteam.co.uk

Can brother & sisters please give me there feed back for the ones who have attended such events.

We always advise everyone to bring mehrams with them to the events, the mehrams are always seated in the same room as everyone else, We have had very good feed back from our events till now, we have allhamdulillah have had 28 marriages from our events, parents and couples have been to our events who have given a speech also.

We are here to help you and not here to ignore you

jazakallah

Brother Mohabbat- Call me Mo for short if you want lol

Account Disabled

I looked up a couple of them and how they work, and most are saying that the group is split then on each table there is 4 brothers, 4 sisters, and you communicate within a group discussion.
    thats mashup! subhaanAllaah!

how can a man accept a sis who has ben spoken to by 3 other guys sitting at one table?

subhaanAllaah i wud end up chopping the other 3 guys heads off!

Or, like speed dating, 3 minutes sitting opposite a table and being buzzed or moved around like a cattle market, and then if you like someone, details are passed and blah blah blah
    again; MASHUP!!! ppl who organise these events needs their heads rolled off their shoulders! Just roll them straight off... na'oothibillaah!

Account Disabled

no disrespect 2u akhee, but these q's r just pure nonsense.... what joey asks a potential spouse what her fav color is? I mean, "do u plan on hijrah" "how often do u read tahajjud" "wht r ur views of mixed schools" etc r much more important than whts ur av color...

besides probably knowing what color dresses and stuff her wardrobe is full of, what can u derive from a person based on what color they like....

the managers of such events need their head chopped off.... no negotiations, no dialogue, just heads chopped off... *smile*

Time Waits For No Man

Quote Originally Posted by stareventsteam View Post
    Brother Mohabbat- Call me Mo for short if you want lol

No, just no.

salam

The mehrams do not participate at any time of the event, they are seated on seats on the side, just watching over.

So dont know why u getting high rated for Bro!!!!!

Salam Brother,

If you feel these events are wrong then dont attend, stick to aunty jees then.

But one thing i can say bro is that if parents are ok with these events, then why do u have a problem. You need to live in the real world bro and not in stone ages.

There is no other halal way to organise these events. Just to let you know brother, we dont put 100 questions on the table for you to answer. You need to remember there are currently 12 different organizations in the uk who organize these events, everyone has a different way to organize these events. We have till date have done 28 marriages from our events, so we know they do work.

Salam

Please remember brothers, im here to help you and not put anyone down in any way.

I just find it upsetting sometimes, because me and the wife who organise these events out of our own time.

I just want peoples dua's and nothing else. Thats whats gona help us in the hereafter

No disrespect to your events stareventsteam, but I have attended one of your events a couple of years ago in Solihull, Birmingham and I wasn't impressed at all. There didn't appear to be a single practicing girl there, possibly one girl who was semi practicing but i wasn't interested having spoken to her. It appears to be good mainly for cultural Muslims with a pakistani background but that is all. One of the guys that was on my table told me his ex-girlfriend was there. That was a total put off. I know that is out of your control, and the second one i went to which was by muslim marriage events in London, the same thing happened where one guy told me his ex-girlfriend was here, and that also turned out to be the one i was considering speaking to further.

And just to benefit the op, the London one i went to, one girl was sitting on one of the tables, who appeared practicing from the dress code, when i spoke to her, she told me (and all the other guys she had spoken to), that she is already getting married in the near future and has found a guy (from somewhere else obviously) and she is just sitting here talking to people. i couldn't believe she was sitting there wasting peoples' time. she was there as a chaperone i believe but thought she'd sit on a table to entertain herself during the long day.

since then, i havent gone back to these events and am using other methods.

My advice is for practicing people not to go to these events.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfLife View Post
    No disrespect to your events stareventsteam, but I have attended one of your events a couple of years ago in Solihull, Birmingham and I wasn't impressed at all. There didn't appear to be a single practicing girl there, possibly one girl who was semi practicing but i wasn't interested having spoken to her. It appears to be good mainly for cultural Muslims with a pakistani background but that is all. One of the guys that was on my table told me his ex-girlfriend was there. That was a total put off. I know that is out of your control, and the second one i went to which was by muslim marriage events in London, the same thing happened where one guy told me his ex-girlfriend was here, and that also turned out to be the one i was considering speaking to further.

And just to benefit the op, the London one i went to, one girl was sitting on one of the tables, who appeared practicing from the dress code, when i spoke to her, she told me (and all the other guys she had spoken to), that she is already getting married in the near future and has found a guy (from somewhere else obviously) and she is just sitting here talking to people. i couldn't believe she was sitting there wasting peoples' time. she was there as a chaperone i believe but thought she'd sit on a table to entertain herself during the long day.

since then, i havent gone back to these events and am using other methods.

My advice is for practicing people not to go to these events.

Oh gosh! I read all this now after booking for my 1st event in September :/

Oh gosh! I read all this now after booking for my 1st event in September :/
    Well, it's only been nearly 4 months since my response, so you are forgiven for making such a mistake!

Just go with the best intention. Ask deen related questions, that should filter out most people.

Odan

I do not think these kind of events are that good or successful . Many people who are not serious about marriage just come for fun and waste the time of others. This also causes negativity and disappointment in people who are seriously looking for marriage.