Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fast food around Haram

Are there any good fast food restaurants like McDonalds, KFC etc around Haram? Whats a good place for affordable Pakistani food ? Gotta have my chicken biryani....

Also, is it allowed to wear slippers when doing Umrah? And between Safa, Marwa?

Re: Fast food around Haram

ASA. There is a KFC (near the Hilton entrance) and Burger King near the Haram in Makkah and a Hardees, I believe, near the Haram in Madinah. There is a food court on the 2nd floor in the building near Hilton in Makkah - that is where BK is or used to be. There are a lot of other eating places as well in both Makkah and Madinah. There are some local chains as well which have good food. You would find a whole lot of Pakistani restaurants as well.

You cannot wear the regular slippers while doing Umrah or Sa'ee. I have seen people wear very thin leather boots/socks. I, however, do not wear slippers suring Tawaf or Sa'ee.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by 786smb; 05-01-13 at 12:05 AM.

Fasialbad restaurant in the food court - 4th floor. al barj mall

very nice pak foood.

Does anyone know what the food prices these days. I used to pay around 5-6 riyals for a a dish in Pakistani restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by kbutt001 View Post
    Does anyone know what the food prices these days. I used to pay around 5-6 riyals for a a dish in Pakistani restaurants
    "used to" is the pivotal word. No longer, I am afraid.

Going to the only accessible Pakistani joint near the haram in Makka (Faisalabad in the abraj bait pointed by taqwa) a dal roti will put you back by around SR10.

Ok thanks for this information. I thought it might have increased. When I said "used to be" I should have said back in June 2009.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rehanknaqvi View Post
    Are there any good fast food restaurants like McDonalds, KFC etc around Haram? Whats a good place for affordable Pakistani food ? Gotta have my chicken biryani....

Also, is it allowed to wear slippers when doing Umrah? And between Safa, Marwa?
    Why would you want to eat at McDonalds/KFC? :/

Maybe because Durian is not available perhaps? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by geeksupremo View Post
    Why would you want to eat at McDonalds/KFC? :/
    I have never in my life had halal McDonalds or a KFC burger and I've been wanting to try it all these years. iA will do when I'm in Makkah. Really looking forward to it. lol

I have never in my life had halal McDonalds or a KFC burger and I've been wanting to try it all these years. iA will do when I'm in Makkah. Really looking forward to it. lol
    Kfc smell makes me feel sick. especially the one outside next to hilton mall. oh my days...walking past it in the heat...it put me off eating KFC for life. Omg. i can smell it right now.

P.s its high in salt

Quote Originally Posted by taqwa435 View Post
    Kfc smell makes me feel sick. especially the one outside next to hilton mall. oh my days...walking past it in the heat...it put me off eating KFC for life. Omg. i can smell it right now.

P.s its high in salt
    Actually I live close to a KFC in Pakistan so will most probably make McDonalds my hangout for as long as I'm there. I tried some local food the last time I was there and it wasn't that good. Didn't have any taste. There was a small pakistani restaurant right across Haram back when I was there in 2004. Faint memory of walking through a small bazaar. Had a nice meal there will visit it again insha Allah. And will definitely visit that Faisalabad restaurant. So excited about my Umrah trip. Plan on sleeping as little as I can and spending as much time as I can looking at Kaaba and praying

Fasialbad restaurant in the food court - 4th floor. al barj mall

very nice pak foood.
    Yes, I second that. This has become the favourite restaurant of me and my husband. Never mind that it is thousands of miles away.

also, the KFC in Makkah and madina is terrible. Not at all like it should be. Their burgers are dry, the hardees next door is better. There is also a Pizza hut there, but they only have two options of pizza, again not at all like the proper one.

The italian food stand it better. I think its called Meleos or something. Lovely fresh pasta.

Ahh, brings back memories... I actually put on 5 kg during hajj, I'm still trying to work it off.

Its been a while since I've had some good nihari. What restaurant would you suggest for best nihari like they have in Pakistan? (In Makkah and/or Medinah)

you are not visiting Pakistan. Besides, us now domiciled in the western countries, have transformed our stomach lining from what it used to be made of - steel - and into silk. So, being in Makkah/Madinah for worship is not compatable with a silk lined stomach and the consumption of NIHARI....

I think you are right...no Pakistani stuff.
    Instead I will eat all Saudi food that I've been missing a lot since my last visit there.

Last time I stayed there was in '86 when I was 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_S View Post
    I think you are right...no Pakistani stuff.
    Instead I will eat all Saudi food that I've been missing a lot since my last visit there.

Last time I stayed there was in '86 when I was 10.
    What saudi food? They only know "khubz" or a pitta bread like bread, ful or mandi.

Just go up to the food mall in abraj al bait and you will be spoiled for choice which include Faisalabad too. If I were you, I would give Faisalabad a very wide berth. Having eaten nothing but chicken every day on the day I felt like getting up before dawn and to crow !!!! yeah, right that's how you feel after consuming so much fowl, so I headed to Faisalabad and treated myself to Dal - good old tarka dal and nan. Guess what? I had to perform a dozen or more wudu afterwards.

The moral? Risk crowing before dawn as the only person you might annoy is your room mate. Eat Dal at Faisalabad and you risk annoying many around you apart from trying to secure the nearest exit to the gents outside the haram.
    Last edited by Ismail Simjee; 07-01-13 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ismail Simjee View Post
    What saudi food? They only know "khubz" or a pitta bread like bread, ful or mandi.

Just go up to the food mall in abraj al bait and you will be spoiled for choice which include Faisalabad too. If I were you, I would give Faisalabad a very wide berth. Having eaten nothing but chicken every day on the day I felt like getting up before dawn and to crow !!!! yeah, right that's how you feel after consuming so much fowl, so I headed to Faisalabad and treated myself to Dal - good old tarka dal and nan. Guess what? I had to perform a dozen or more wudu afterwards.

The moral? Risk crowing before dawn as the only person you might annoy is your room mate. Eat Dal at Faisalabad and you risk annoying many around you apart from trying to secure the nearest exit to the gents outside the haram.
    lol....I hear ya....Food will probably be the last thing on my mind when I have something as magnificent as Holy Kaaba to stare at and especially when I know that I won't be there for more than 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Yes, I second that. This has become the favourite restaurant of me and my husband. Never mind that it is thousands of miles away.

also, the KFC in Makkah and madina is terrible. Not at all like it should be. Their burgers are dry, the hardees next door is better. There is also a Pizza hut there, but they only have two options of pizza, again not at all like the proper one.

The italian food stand it better. I think its called Meleos or something. Lovely fresh pasta.

Ahh, brings back memories... I actually put on 5 kg during hajj, I'm still trying to work it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismail Simjee View Post

^Lol! n Ikki^ lol so true - if your not careful u end up coming back with more baggage than u went with!! - mine are memories of cinnabons/baskin robins/movenpick/house of donuts

I remember having nice masala fish on 4th floor - Abrajul bait

The que for Pizzahut can be v.time consuming!! ( due to the gender segregated que's it was ideal for making lifelong friends, as no doubt you hear other's who speak english lol)
    My Fav!! pizza joint is if you go up the escalators from the outside of hilton - 3rd floor i think it is? & so your in th middle, connecting both sides of the mall - the floor before you get to the Saudi office - there's a pizza place; they make the dough infront of you - & they taste Amazing!
    Last edited by ify; 22-01-13 at 08:24 PM.
    من صمت نجا

He who keeps silent saves himself (Tirmidhi, Ahmad).

The main types of food you will find is fast food, chicken stops i.e chicken and rice or Indian food, I know every time I've traveled I've struggled with eating as the food becomes a little monotonous. If you travel a little further out towards Aisha's (ra) Mosque you will find there is a whole different world out of the central hustle and bustle and we stopped up there and had Pizza which was awesome. A little taste of home away from home. : )

Shafiq
    hajjumrahdirect.co.uk

Tried aloo qeema last night at Faisalabad restaurant. It was good. Will go there again today insha Allah.

Account Disabled

food is ridiculously expensive in the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by n0.n4m3 View Post
    food is ridiculously expensive in the mall.
    Do we have any other options around haram?

Account Disabled

Do we have any other options around haram?
    no. im sorry.

Account Disabled

if you're a westerner it will seem very cheap to you.
    but in the ksa rates, it is extortious

n0.n4m3 - when you say food is very expensive, how much is it actually for say a dish? have the restaurants outisde of the expensive malls gone. for example there used to be quite a few around misfilah near Bin Dawood.

Account Disabled

You have to buy a burger on its own for 13-15SR.
    Here in riyadh its 10SR

The hajj and umrah meal in kfc is 19SR.
    In riyadh its 12SR.

btw domt go to kfc

Quote Originally Posted by ify View Post

^Lol! n Ikki^ lol so true - if your not careful u end up coming back with more baggage than u went with!! - mine are memories of cinnabons/baskin robins/movenpick/house of donuts

I remember having nice masala fish on 4th floor - Abrajul bait

The que for Pizzahut can be v.time consuming!! ( due to the gender segregated que's it was ideal for making lifelong friends, as no doubt you hear other's who speak english lol)
    My Fav!! pizza joint is if you go up the escalators from the outside of hilton - 3rd floor i think it is? & so your in th middle, connecting bother sides of the mall - the floor before you get to the Saudi office - there's a pizza place; they make the dough infront of you - & they taste Amazing!
    Lol @ extra baggage. I'll definately try out the pizza place near the hilton tower, if its still there. Once you go on Umrah, you get a crazy bug that makes you want to go again and again.

What about AlBaik is it still far from Haram? I remember back in 2006 it was food 5-10 mins drive.

Also, where to eat in Medina?

Account Disabled

ill be in makkah after 2 days so InshaAllah ill tell you stuff u need to know

in june, i was given the wrong pizza at pizza hut in makkah. it was pepperoni or something ewww since then i havent eaten pizza.

yes. traumatised. very.

in june, i was given the wrong pizza at pizza hut in makkah. it was pepperoni or something ewww since then i havent eaten pizza.

yes. traumatised. very.
    I highly doubt they sell haram in Makkah. Pepperoni must've been all beef.

I highly doubt they sell haram in Makkah. Pepperoni must've been all beef.
    OF COURSE it was halaaal

but it was still rank.

lol i can imagine. Just the name makes me feel disgusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Lol @ extra baggage. I'll definately try out the pizza place near the hilton tower, if its still there. Once you go on Umrah, you get a crazy bug that makes you want to go again and again.

So true! All other places pale in comparison - May Allah take us again again (baar baar waqt?) & Accept all our Umrah's & efforts at ibaadah!
    Last edited by ify; 09-02-13 at 08:59 PM.
    من صمت نجا

Odan

Please be careful when eating from fast food outlets in Saudi. They are not 100% guaranteed Halaal. They will tell you the meat is 'Watany' (local), but it is actually imported from Brazil. I have seen the boxes myself stamped with the Brazil flag/sticker. The 2 places confirmed Halaal by 'Ulamaa of South Africa who did research are Pizza Hut and Burger King in Makkah at least. KFC, Hardees etc. not sure, just be cautious inshaAllah.

Account Disabled

Where exactly is albarj mall ??

Odan

hajj time is coming round again soon isA. one day i will go to hajj to whoever I marry. maybe even as a mehr
    DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaqoot Marjaan View Post

Please be careful when eating from fast food outlets in Saudi. They are not 100% guaranteed Halaal. They will tell you the meat is 'Watany' (local), but it is actually imported from Brazil. I have seen the boxes myself stamped with the Brazil flag/sticker. The 2 places confirmed Halaal by 'Ulamaa of South Africa who did research are Pizza Hut and Burger King in Makkah at least. KFC, Hardees etc. not sure, just be cautious inshaAllah.
    Quote Originally Posted by MWarrior View Post
    Where exactly is albarj mall ??

for th warning - you're right, i think it's doubtful too.

Abrajalbait - it's the the first 4 floors (shopping centre/food court) of the clock tower building/hotels above - opposite King Abdul Aziz Gate.

& Nashmia^ - Inshaa'Allah!
    من صمت نجا

Account Disabled

wswrwb

Ah didn't know that was known as abrajalbait ... I can imagine things being overpriced there.

Personally I'd recommend people go with a package where food is included ... at the very least, if breakfast and dinner is included then it can save you a lot of time and hassle iA. During busy periods like Ramadhan, the service is priceless.

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Yaqoot Marjaan View Post

I understand a lot of the chicken is from europe, places like denmark, germany etc

To the OP I know there are all sorts of places to eat, I personally thought the deals in the local chicken huts were fantastic when I went for Hajj so i used them rather than KFC.