Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Does Islam require hate??

On another forum an Islamic woman told me something that was one of the saddest things I've ever heard. She said that Islam required her to hate those that Allah hates. She mentioned that this was not an "emotional" hatred but rather a type of "religious" hatred (insisting that there is a difference). She gave a short list of who she must hate (disbelievers etc.) and she mentioned that the form of Islam she followed was stricter than most (I don't remember what it was).

Is this true...or is she mistaken? Does Allah ask that you hate certain people?

Any more information on this would be greatly appreciated....

Thank-you.

Re: Does Islam require hate??

Hi,
    from my understanding that would be incorrect. Islam is the religion of peace and hate is not tolerated.

Pray for the Ummah Submit To Peace's Avatar

The prophet (Sallalaahu Aleyhi Wassallam) who is a role model for us, never hated anyone.

If ALLAH hated anyone, he wouldn't send someone (a REHMAT for ALL) who even prayed & cried his heart out, at night, for guidance of even the pharaohs of his time.

ALLAH Doesn't hate anyone till s/he is alive, because there is still a chance that s/he might regret his sins and turn towards ALLAH Jalla jalaaluhu.

ALLAH knows BEST!
    Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider. Inhale positive, exhale negative

dislike stuff
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.

^ Yes, to dislike the disease, not the patient.
    Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider. Inhale positive, exhale negative

It depends what you mean.

For example, a Muslim might like alcohol for example, but decides not to drink it because Allah prohibits it. The Qur'an does say, it may that you like a thing but which is bad for you.
    So you could say Islam requires submission.

You can also submit by hating as well but the action only.
    Last edited by Magic.; 27-10-12 at 07:45 PM.

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

really sad to see that Muslims are Oblivious of Al Wala Wal Baraa ...

we Love and we Hate for the Sake of Allah ta'ala.

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

Quote Originally Posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    really sad to see that Muslims are Oblivious of Al Wala Wal Baraa ...

we Love and we Hate for the Sake of Allah ta'ala.

we know that but she said hating people, and then we said we dislike certain things and then the other poster said the diease patient thing. all wrapped up in a nice lil package
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.

alfi salella alel madani ahmed_abdullah's Avatar

We love what Allah loves and hate what Allah hates.We do not know what to love other than when we find it through Prophet Muhammad May Allah provide peace on him and his family.We do not know what to hate other than when we find it through Prophet Muhammad May Allah provide peace on him and his family.

In the books of Qur'an and ahadith.If Allah hates all the disbeliever then why do you see people turning to the correct path of Islam?

Thereby, it is not all the disbelievers that Allah hates but only those that hate what Allah loves.Why should Allah not hate you when you hate what Allah loves.The example of this is people of Prophet Nuh (Noah) May Allah bless him.Where they hated the prophet in return hated Allah through the prophet and in reply of this hate.Allah took back the life from those disobedient people.

But know that Allah's mercy precedes over Allah's anger.
    Last edited by ahmed_abdullah; 27-10-12 at 07:56 PM.
    صلى الله على حبيبه محمد و على آله و أصحابه و سلم
    Al-Muslimeen

You can hate or not hate, it doesn't really matter. Baraa' is to declare innocence and wash your hands of the kuffar and their actions. You still treat them justly, whether you hate them or just dislike them, the internal aspect of it doesn't really matter. Hate is not haram in Islam, otherwise why would Allah (swt) say:

And do not let the hatred of a people for having obstructed you from al-Masjid al-Haram lead you to transgress.

Meaning, those who wrong and oppress, it is natural to hate them, but it should not cause you to transgress. Like who's not going to hate the evil people in our countries, killing Muslims right and left? Who's not going to hate the leaders of kufr? Who's not going to hate those munaafiqeen who give Muslims away to kuffar to be tortured in the worst ways possible? It even trickles down to their people and their supporters, and those that cast them their ears. This doesn't mean you look daggers at everyone who passes you by, but it means you don't be naive, you give them their weight as people who are not looking out for your benefit and can in fact bring you harm in numerous ways, be it directly or through negative influences. And you do not befriend them or become close to them.

Just be just and do your part. Don't be naive, it will come back to bite you, it always does, and we've all seen it before. Those with kafir friends who take their words above anyone else's with regards to their own Muslim brethren, they assume in them the best, they assume in their brothers and sisters the worst. All the while they believe themselves to be good Muslims... Allah will judge them for what they really are though.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed_abdullah View Post

We love what Allah loves and hate what Allah hates.We do not know what to love other than when we find it through Prophet Muhammad May Allah provide peace on him and his family.We do not know what to hate other than when we find it through Prophet Muhammad May Allah provide peace on him and his family.

In the books of Qur'an and ahadith.If Allah hates all the disbeliever then why do you see people turning to the correct path of Islam?

Thereby, it is not all the disbelievers that Allah hates but only those that hate what Allah loves.Why should Allah not hate you when you hate what Allah loves.The example of this is people of Prophet Nuh (Noah) May Allah bless him.Where they hated the prophet in return hated Allah through the prophet and in reply of this hate.Allah took back the life from those disobedient people.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. So the short answer is "yes"? You hate what Allah hates?

Quote Originally Posted by ahmed_abdullah View Post

Thank you for the detailed explanation. So the short answer is "yes"? You hate what Allah hates?

Sorry for the double post.

Quote Originally Posted by علي View Post
    You can hate or not hate, it doesn't really matter. Baraa' is to declare innocence and wash your hands of the kuffar and their actions. You still treat them justly, whether you hate them or just dislike them, the internal aspect of it doesn't really matter. Hate is not haram in Islam, otherwise why would Allah (swt) say:

And do not let the hatred of a people for having obstructed you from al-Masjid al-Haram lead you to transgress.

Meaning, those who wrong and oppress, it is natural to hate them, but it should not cause you to transgress. Like who's not going to hate the evil people in our countries, killing Muslims right and left? Who's not going to hate the leaders of kufr? Who's not going to hate those munaafiqeen who give Muslims away to kuffar to be tortured in the worst ways possible? It even trickles down to their people and their supporters, and those that cast them their ears. This doesn't mean you look daggers at everyone who passes you by, but it means you don't be naive, you give them their weight as people who are not looking out for your benefit and can in fact bring you harm in numerous ways, be it directly or through negative influences. And you do not befriend them or become close to them.

Just be just and do your part. Don't be naive, it will come back to bite you, it always does, and we've all seen it before. Those with kafir friends who take their words above anyone else's with regards to their own Muslim brethren, they assume in them the best, they assume in their brothers and sisters the worst. All the while they believe themselves to be good Muslims... Allah will judge them for what they really are though.

"Meaning, those who wrong and oppress, it is natural to hate them, but it should not cause you to transgress."

Sure, but its not as if every disbeliever is somehow oppressing every Muslim. Yet it appears as if Allah wants you to hate them all regardless. Is it ok to like or befriend a disbeliever if he does not wrong or oppress you (a Muslim)?

Quote Originally Posted by Greentree View Post
    Hi,
    from my understanding that would be incorrect. Islam is the religion of peace and hate is not tolerated.
    Seems like your understanding of Islam is incorrect, doesn't it?

So let me see if I've got this right.

There is actually no way that non-Muslims can ever have friendship with Muslims because the Muslims are hard-wired to hate us.

So any drones or invasions or false imprisonments have no more effect than foreign aid, charity, protection of Muslim religious rights, apologies, outreach programs and so on.

So what possible reason is there for us non-Muslims to show Muslims and their religion 'respect'. What's in it for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Ana the Ist View Post
    "Meaning, those who wrong and oppress, it is natural to hate them, but it should not cause you to transgress."

Sure, but its not as if every disbeliever is somehow oppressing every Muslim. Yet it appears as if Allah wants you to hate them all regardless. Is it ok to like or befriend a disbeliever if he does not wrong or oppress you (a Muslim)?
    Well what do you mean by hatred? You see it's already clear the person who was explaining this to you did have the right idea, they just didn't explain it that well and called it "a religious hatred" rather than an emotional one.

I've hated people before and continue to do so (aforementioned transgressors against Muslims and against humanity in general), it's a potent feeling.

But as you said, not all disbelievers are necessarily oppressors to Muslims, does that mean we have to feel this very potent feeling whenever we see them? No. However you should know that they have their actions and beliefs in life and you have yours, and you can't trust them to have the correct views on many issues, including Islam and Muslims, and they have many incorrect opinions/actions that they will express/do. You can call them to Islam, but you should not mingle with them as if you are one of them, because the friend will certainly influence you. Do you call that hatred? Because it doesn't require any real emotion from you, you just need to act in the correct manner and be cautious about whom you befriend.
    Last edited by علي; 27-10-12 at 08:34 PM.
    والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie View Post

There is actually no way that non-Muslims can ever have friendship with Muslims because the Muslims are hard-wired to hate us.

So any drones or invasions or false imprisonments have no more effect than foreign aid, charity, protection of Muslim religious rights, apologies, outreach programs and so on.

So what possible reason is there for us non-Muslims to show Muslims and their religion 'respect'. What's in it for us?
    Wow...246 posts and it looks like you've never heard this before. Is this really news to you? What did you think before you read this in their own words?

I think it could be useful knowledge for others who don't know this about Islam.

What's in it for us?
    Ignoring the fact that the rest of your post is wrong, what's "in it for you" not to be a complete jerk to random homeless people or those that pass you by? Nothing, you can do it if you're that kind of person. It's the same with Muslims, there's no more in it for you to respect them than there is to just deal good with people in general, unless there is transgression happening.

No. See post #9-10. As stated we Muslims have to respect others we are just not to take them as friends/advisers after all everyone has their loyalties including yourself.

Well what do you mean by hatred? You see it's already clear the person who was explaining this to you did have the right idea, they just didn't explain it that well and called it "a religious hatred" rather than an emotional one.

I've hated people before and continue to do so (aforementioned transgressors against Muslims and humanity in general), it's a potent feeling.

But as you said, not all disbelievers are necessarily oppressors to Muslims, does that mean we have to feel this very potent feeling whenever we see them? No. However you should know that they have their actions and beliefs in life and you have yours, and you can't trust them to have the correct views on many issues, including Islam and Muslims, and they have many incorrect opinions/actions that they will express/do. You can call them to Islam, but you should not mingle with them as if you are one of them, because the friend will certainly influence you. Do you call that hatred? Because it doesn't require any real emotion from you, you just need to act in the correct manner and be cautious about whom you befriend.

" Well what do you mean by hatred?"
    Feeling hate.

" However you should know that they have their actions and beliefs in life and you have yours, and you can't trust them to have the correct views on many issues, including Islam and Muslims, and they have many incorrect opinions/actions that they will express/do. You can call them to Islam, but you should not mingle with them as if you are one of them, because the friend will certainly influence you. Do you call that hatred?"

No I don't. I call it bigotry and hypocrisy. That's one of the best descriptions I've ever seen of them.

" Well what do you mean by hatred?"
    Feeling hate.
    Well then it's not hatred as you see it, for I have already addressed the fact that one needs not feel this emotion.

" However you should know that they have their actions and beliefs in life and you have yours, and you can't trust them to have the correct views on many issues, including Islam and Muslims, and they have many incorrect opinions/actions that they will express/do. You can call them to Islam, but you should not mingle with them as if you are one of them, because the friend will certainly influence you. Do you call that hatred?"

No I don't. I call it bigotry and hypocrisy. That's one of the best descriptions I've ever seen of them.
    Your opinion, if you are a Muslim, you're in a bad position since you're attacking the religion. If you are not a Muslim, refer to the part where I say it's natural for non-Muslims not to have the correct views on matters.

Quote Originally Posted by purple89 View Post
    No. See post #9-10. As stated we Muslims have to respect others we are just not to take them as friends/advisers after all everyone has their loyalties including yourself.
    Well I can't speak for all non-Muslims, but for most that I know, we choose our friends based on their actions. Actions show the content of character. We don't choose who we befriend based upon beliefs. Like I said at the start, it sounds like a very sad thing to have your god choose who you should love and hate.

Well then it's not hatred as you see it, for I have already addressed the fact that one needs not feel this emotion.

Your opinion, if you are a Muslim, you're in a bad position since you're attacking the religion. If you are not a Muslim, refer to the part where I say it's natural for non-Muslims not to have the correct views on matters.
    And that's your opinion. Do you understand what bigotry is? Can you tell me?

Odan

Do you understand what bigotry is? Can you tell me?
    Ditto

You seem to have a problem with words and their meanings.

Do you understand what hypocrisy is as well?

And that's your opinion. Do you understand what bigotry is? Can you tell me?
    Yeah I do and yeah I can tell you. It is one of the emptiest and most thrown around words today. What it actually means is a stubborn and complete intolerance for other beliefs and opinions. Islam only does not tolerate some beliefs and opinions while it does tolerate others, it just so happens that the major opinions/actions not tolerated almost always surface with disbelief. They do surface in other Muslims sometimes though, and then there is a degree of "baraa'" towards them as well. If one sees a Muslim with many very negative actions, they must regard them with more weariness than they would a good Muslim, whom they should be very humble with.

You seem to have trouble tolerating some of these opinions yourself, so you are by your own definition a holder of beliefs no less bigoted than anyone else's since you believe that intolerance of some opinions entails bigotry. Such a meaningless word, and one of those accusations that applies most to those that consistently use it.

Odan

Well I can't speak for all non-Muslims, but for most that I know, we choose our friends based on their actions.
    Really?

Most people choose their friends from those they see and come into contact with regularly, graduating to those who they perceive as having similar views to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by abubakarbristol View Post
    Another very commonly thrown around word that's equally meaningless due to how misused it has become. Hypocrisy to most people these days is basically "anyone who's beliefs I don't fully agree with".

Unless this poster is insinuating that we expect kuffar to love us to death and take us as their friends/allies while we are averse to this. Hilarious, since all their media does is bash Muslims while their troops massacre them abroad. This is also why "hypocrisy" is also one of those terms that applies most to the one's consistently complaining of it.

Ditto

You seem to have a problem with words and their meanings.

Sure, this is from freedictionary.com....
    Hypocrisy
    1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

A good example would be a Muslim claiming that non-Muslims should respect their beliefs while not respecting the beliefs of non-Muslims.
    Or if you would like an example pulled directly from this thread...
    " If you are not a Muslim, refer to the part where I say it's natural for non-Muslims not to have the correct views on matters."

Yeah I do and yeah I can tell you. It is one of the emptiest and most thrown around words today. What it actually means is a stubborn and complete intolerance for other beliefs and opinions. Islam only does not tolerate some beliefs and opinions while it does tolerate others, it just so happens that the major opinions/actions not tolerated almost always surface with disbelief. They do surface in other Muslims sometimes though, and then there is a degree of "baraa'" towards them as well. If one sees a Muslim with many very negative actions, they must regard them with more weariness than they would a good Muslim, whom they should be very humble with.

You seem to have trouble tolerating some of these opinions yourself, so you are by your own definition a holder of beliefs no less bigoted than anyone else's since you believe that intolerance of some opinions entails bigotry. Such a meaningless word, and one of those accusations that applies most to those that consistently use it.
    What is bigoted or intolerant about my beliefs? All I've asked is if Islam requires hatred of non-believers. From what I've seen so far the answer is yes.

Really?

Most people choose their friends from those they see and come into contact with regularly, graduating to those who they perceive as having similar views to themselves.
    Really. None of my friends believe as I do...not one. Yet they are still my friends because of the mutual respect shown each other. I could befriend any Muslim but sadly it appears none could befriend me. I understand this concept is totally foreign to you.

Sure, this is from freedictionary.com....
    Hypocrisy
    1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

A good example would be a Muslim claiming that non-Muslims should respect their beliefs while not respecting the beliefs of non-Muslims.
    Or if you would like an example pulled directly from this thread...
    " If you are not a Muslim, refer to the part where I say it's natural for non-Muslims not to have the correct views on matters."
    Muslims don't require for people to respect their beliefs, we simply ask that people do not ridicule or slander the Prophet or the rest of the religion. Asking someone not to be a douchebag isn't really a huge demand we have, and our religion also forbids us from annoying disbelievers with this kind of behavior. So I've yet to see hypocrisy :/

What is bigoted or intolerant about my beliefs? All I've asked is if Islam requires hatred of non-believers. From what I've seen so far the answer is yes.
    Well no it hasn't be yes, I clearly asked you what hate was. You said feeling hate. I said it was not required, so in other words, so far it has been no. You are demonstrating the hypocrisy and bigotry here though by ignoring what people are saying just to go on your tirade.

Another very commonly thrown around word that's equally meaningless due to how misused it has become. Hypocrisy to most people these days is basically "anyone who's beliefs I don't fully agree with".

Unless this poster is insinuating that we expect kuffar to love us to death and take us as their friends/allies while we are averse to this. Hilarious, since all their media does is bash Muslims while their troops massacre them abroad. This is also why "hypocrisy" is also one of those terms that applies most to the one's consistently complaining of it.
    I'm not sure what "Muslim bashing" you're referring to. As for troops, I don't see how you can claim to know the beliefs of "troops". Are you claiming no troops are Muslims fighting Muslims? If a nation fights those who seek to destroy it, do you really think it matters to that nation what the beliefs are of its enemies?

speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar

عَسَى اللَّهُ أَن يَجْعَلَ بَيْنَكُمْ وَبَيْنَ الَّذِينَ عَادَيْتُم مِّنْهُم مَّوَدَّةً ۚ وَاللَّهُ قَدِيرٌ ۚ وَاللَّهُ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ

Perhaps Allah will put, between you and those to whom you have been enemies among them, affection. And Allah is competent, and Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

لَّا يَنْهَاكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ لَمْ يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ وَلَمْ يُخْرِجُوكُم مِّن دِيَارِكُمْ أَن تَبَرُّوهُمْ وَتُقْسِطُوا إِلَيْهِمْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُقْسِطِينَ

Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

إِنَّمَا يَنْهَاكُمُ اللَّهُ عَنِ الَّذِينَ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ وَأَخْرَجُوكُم مِّن دِيَارِكُمْ وَظَاهَرُوا عَلَىٰ إِخْرَاجِكُمْ أَن تَوَلَّوْهُمْ ۚ وَمَن يَتَوَلَّهُمْ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ

Allah only forbids you from those who fight you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion - [forbids] that you
    make allies of them. And whoever makes allies of them, then it is those who are the wrongdoers.

(al-Mumtahanah: 7 - 9)

"And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Aaaand it is at this point where you start to sound like 98% of the other trolls who purposely misinterpret information and then give us the bleeding heart melancholy of it all. Not wasting any more time with the standard intellectually dishonest troll, unless you have something to say in your defense that acknowledges your misinterpretations of our words.

Odan

Really. None of my friends believe as I do...not one. Yet they are still my friends because of the mutual respect shown each other. I could befriend any Muslim but sadly it appears none could befriend me. I understand this concept is totally foreign to you.
    Do you want to re-read what I wrote, rather than what you assume that I wrote?

You understand what you choose to understand, and choose to misunderstand what you choose to misunderstand.

Strangely, you choose to misunderstand most of what has been posted here. Any idea why?

It's called "Al Wala wal Baraa" which means something along the lines of showing love and hatred for Allah's (swt) sake, so yes it is an emotional response that has roots in the religious texts. The interesting thing is that your original post left out any reference to the 'love' part and focussed entirely on the 'hate' part. This suggests to me that it was a loaded question in the first place.

Emotions are an innate aspect of human beings. All human beings have emotions, but those emotions are directed and swayed by different criterion. The question should not be about why a person abiding by Islam chooses it as a criterion to govern her thoughts and emotions, but rather your question should be to ask about the origin of your own (as well as others) criterion and ascertain the basis of that criterion and whether you can prove that your criterion is correct or not.

Nothing is innately good or bad in origin except that it is one's criterion that defines it as such. Just a generation ago, the US and Europe were punishing gay people for their sexuality due to their criterion defining it as wrong- now they are celebrating it as a lifestyle choice. The action is the same only the criterion changed. Their criterion is based on nothing but conjecture. Read news articles from the 1980s and you'll find the governments of the US and UK were allies with people like Saddam Hussain and arming him, even when he was dropping chemical weapons on civilian villages, they were funding and supporting Jihadi groups in Afghanistan and yet within the past 15 years those very same people became demonised and destoyed. What changed? It's common knowledge that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 or Al Qaeda so that's no excuse.

The first two responses that bleated on about 'Islam is peace' were incorrect and probably written to appease you (most likely due to their own incorrect understanding of the topic). Islam is neither inherently about war nor inherently about peace, but has rules of conduct and behaviour to govern both types of situations (eg how to honour a peace treaty and how to deal with a war situation).

Muslims don't require for people to respect their beliefs, we simply ask that people do not ridicule or slander the Prophet or the rest of the religion. Asking someone not to be a douchebag isn't really a huge demand we have, and our religion also forbids us from annoying disbelievers with this kind of behavior. So I've yet to see hypocrisy :/

Well no it hasn't be yes, I clearly asked you what hate was. You said feeling hate. I said it was not required, so in other words, so far it has been no. You are demonstrating the hypocrisy and bigotry here though by ignoring what people are saying just to go on your tirade.
    " Asking someone not to be a douchebag isn't really a huge demand we have, and our religion also forbids us from annoying disbelievers with this kind of behavior. So I've yet to see hypocrisy :/"

You must not have been looking very hard...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/op...rror.html?_r=0

If "love who Allah loves and hate who Allah hates" doesn't mean "feeling hate" then what does it mean? That is why I made this thread after all...

If "love who Allah loves and hate who Allah hates" doesn't mean "feeling hate" then what does it mean? That is why I made this thread after all...
    And you have been answered.

So u pick and choose which answer to ur question to accept and carry on with.

Carry on then