Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips to stop listening to music?

Anyone know any tips to stop listening to music?

Account Disabled

Re: Tips to stop listening to music?

Well I used to have gaming addiction, but then I deleted my account and alhamdulilah I stopped playing.

So in your case, delete all your songs on your music system.

If that does not work then SMASH your MP3 on the floor for the sake of Allah!!

I don't have an mp3

Account Disabled

Then how do you listen to music?

Is it unintentionally like on the bus or shopping mall? If thats the case then try your best to ignore it.

Youtube

Odan

Get rid of any access you have to music. On your laptop, phone, wherever it is, delete it. Instead of searching for songs on youtube, listen to Quran or lectures instead.

‘Abdullah b. Mas’űd – Allah be pleased with him – said: Singing sprouts hypocrisy (nifâq) in the heart as water sprouts greens and herbs.

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol.2 p469, and Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Sunan Al-Kubrâ Vol. 52 p231.

Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawzîyah – Allah have mercy on him – said in Madârij Al-Sâlikîn, Vol.1 p487:

These are the words of someone who fully understood singing and its effects, for no one regularly sings or listens to song except that his heart falls into nifâq without him realizing. If such a person understood the reality of nifâq and its end he would see it in his own heart. Never do the love of song and the love of Qur`ân come together in a person’s heart except that one expels the other. I and others have witnessed how heavy the Qur`ân feels to singers and song-listeners; how they coil when it is recited and how they get angry with a reciter when he recites too long for them (in prayer etc); and how their hearts do not benefit from what he recites: they are not moved to do anything by it. But when the Qur`ân of Shaytân comes, lâ ilâha illallâh! How they lower their voices and settle down! How their hearts feel at peace and how the crying and emotions start, how moved they are inwardly and outwardly and spend on clothing and perfume and staying up hoping for a long night ahead. If this is not nifâq then it is certainly the way to it and its foundation.

Try giving up just one day a week say every Jummu'ah.

Then try giving it up on important Islamic days.

Finally, you'll be able to give it up a month at a time like Ramadhan.

I know I did, and now I'm not bothered if I don't listen to songs for days ...prefer listening to dua's and surahs actually!

...Good luck

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Strive View Post
    Youtube
    Only use youtube for quran or lectures. Most of youtube is fitna you should be avoiding this. Try changing your music into nasheed or quran, you will feel closer to Allah .

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=84642
    Question

How can I stop listening to music when I love it? I have tried many times.
    Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

We already published the Fatawa: 83528 and 84202 regarding this issue, but on how to stop listening to music and singing we say with Allah's Help.
    Muslim should know that Islam means complete submission and obedience to Allah, The Almighty, and to His Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). Muslim shouldn't put himself and his opinion above Allah and His Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). And if he keeps in mind the remembrance of death, the grave, the gathering on the Judgment Day, standing in front of Allah, all this will help him leave bad things, including music. Taking, companions of good Muslim brothers will help him avoid bad persons and their wrong deeds.
    There is an Islamic alternative to listening to forbidden music. It is Islamic "Anasheed" (Islamic poems) in which you will find peaceful enjoyment and useful talk that encourages moral generosity and Islamic ethics and forbids bad manners.
    That doesn't mean you should become occupied with these poems. Its means you may listen and relax only when you feel bored. Muslims should spend their time with things beneficial in this world and in Hereafter.
    We also advice our brother to listen to audiocassettes with Qur'anic recitations and if you get used to it your situation will become upright, Insha Allah.
    Allah knows best.

Well think about the people behind the music.. And what they sing/rap about etc
    Do you really want to be like them..
    Just take the negatives and think about how disgusting it truly is and how it is opposing to islam

The quran idea is really good.. because you can find a recitor you like and follow his recitation with the translation..
    Its very smooth and much nicer to listen to then music.
    There are some nasheeds which are very nice to listen to aswell even though i prefer the arabic ones
    Last edited by Umm-Aaliyah; 06-09-12 at 10:04 PM.

You know, during this Ramadhan in the evening I accidentally clicked on a song on youtube.

It was only only for like 3 seconds and I switched it off.

That song buzzed around in my head for 3 whole days while I was fasting!

...that's how alluring and devious shaitan is!

Quote Originally Posted by MoMo. View Post
    Get rid of any access you have to music. On your laptop, phone, wherever it is, delete it. Instead of searching for songs on youtube, listen to Quran or lectures instead.

‘Abdullah b. Mas’űd – Allah be pleased with him – said: Singing sprouts hypocrisy (nifâq) in the heart as water sprouts greens and herbs.

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol.2 p469, and Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Sunan Al-Kubrâ Vol. 52 p231.

Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawzîyah – Allah have mercy on him – said in Madârij Al-Sâlikîn, Vol.1 p487:

These are the words of someone who fully understood singing and its effects, for no one regularly sings or listens to song except that his heart falls into nifâq without him realizing. If such a person understood the reality of nifâq and its end he would see it in his own heart. Never do the love of song and the love of Qur`ân come together in a person’s heart except that one expels the other. I and others have witnessed how heavy the Qur`ân feels to singers and song-listeners; how they coil when it is recited and how they get angry with a reciter when he recites too long for them (in prayer etc); and how their hearts do not benefit from what he recites: they are not moved to do anything by it. But when the Qur`ân of Shaytân comes, lâ ilâha illallâh! How they lower their voices and settle down! How their hearts feel at peace and how the crying and emotions start, how moved they are inwardly and outwardly and spend on clothing and perfume and staying up hoping for a long night ahead. If this is not nifâq then it is certainly the way to it and its foundation.
    i didn't know this This shocked me, won't be listening to music again.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
    Only use youtube for quran or lectures. Most of youtube is fitna you should be avoiding this. Try changing your music into nasheed or quran, you will feel closer to Allah .

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=84642

Start remembering Allah SWT non stop. Think of your magnificent creator every moment of your life and you will slowly see the difference. Think about death regularly and this will turn you towards Allah SWT in repentance for all sins. This will InshaAllah keep other haram thoughts out of your head. Increase your worship gradually i.e. get into the habit of doing more nafl salat, when in prostration stay there longer and think about your creator as if the mighty is watching you and seek forgiveness and guidance sincerely with tears if possible this will start softening the heart and make you realise that there is no real joy in haram music.

Spend more time worshiping Allah SWT you can start Tahajjud prayers during late part of night ideally about 1hour before fajr and you will start getting closer to your creator and the love for music will perish from your heart, and you will start feeling real joy in your heart which is only achieved by submitting yourself whole heartedly and destroying the inner lusts and desires of the ego. Send plenty Salawat daily on the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wassallam i.e (Allahhumma Salle Ala Sayedena Muhammad wa ala alii Sayedena Muhammad).

Practically the alternative to music is listening to the recitation of the Quran, try to listen to its meanings also and you will find solace in it. You can also try listening maybe to nasheeds/naats instead, this should also help.

I have not listened to music for more than 15 years and don't have a desire for it. The above methods will InshaAllah work for those trying to kick any bad habits, just try and don't give up asking Allah SWT for forgiveness and guidance. Indeed the biggest battle is with the nafs (self ego).

When you go to youtube.com... Instead of typing in songs.. type in Quran.

Remember.. When listening to Qur'an... You are rewarded... When listening to songs, you are sinning!

I'm surprised noone has mentioned the most direct route. Make Du'a. Make Du'a. Make Du'a. Ask Allah Subhana wa Ta'Ala that grants you the strength to leave this habit and find something the YOU will find fulfilling and that the void left by music will be left unnoticed and instead this new thing will bring you closer to Allah and grant you Allahs favour and reward Insha'Allah

Odan

I feel like killing someone everytime I hear music... thats how much I've grown to hate it.. It feels like I am turning my back on the Prophet (SAW) for some reason, and these modern artists are literally the shaytan whispering in my ears.

wallahi how can anyone listen to music.
    Laqad Zanal Bilada Wa Man A3layha, Imam ul-muslimeen Abu Haneefah
    good after ن

You said you're listening to music on youtube. Maybe you should change your desktop picture to include verses from the Qur'an, inshaAllah this will discourage you from playing music on your computer.

I've also recommended some brothers/sisters to read chapter 17 from the following book (Greater Sins):

http://www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/

InshaAllah this helps.

I stopped listening to music like this: I went to Quranicaudio.com, found the most beautiful reader who is Tawfeeq ibn Saees as-Sawa'igh though there's plenty of more, downloaded his audio (just needs a few clicks and stuff). Then I made a playlist called Quran and I listen to that. I haven't listened to music intentionally for a long time. I have the same mp3's on my phone and I listen to those too. It feels good in the soul, better than music ever did. I just lost all interest over the music - and I used to be a symphonic metal listener LOL. One other thing was that when I started to google the lyrics of the songs (this was previously) I found that there was so many things wrong even if they didn't sing about the No-No topics.
    Last edited by Kalikatu; 07-09-12 at 06:29 AM.

Only with sheer will, I presume it’s like quitting smoking…

Is it okay to listen to clean songs?

Anyway, Quran has much more meaning than some songs..

Enshallah, you will get rewarded.
    Last edited by ~IMAN~; 07-09-12 at 12:51 PM.

Try and try and try and keep trying and never give up! Keep telling yourself you hate it for the sake of Allah!!! Remind yourself how it's all full of nonsense and brainwashing and all a means of dumbing down the masses!
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

keep trying and make dua and Allah will reward you inshallah
    giving up music is not easy, but it gets easier, i know there are times when you may lapse back into listening to a song or whatnot, but you will feel so bad for it, it wont be worth it and automatically, you will not care about music, there used to be a time when a song would be playing and i used to enjoy it, but now, its just rubbish for the ears ................our body needs nourishment, so does our mind, and the majority of music out there does nothing for our mind

Striving for Perfection Ibrahim70's Avatar

Asalaam Alikum

It is important to remember that no matter how catchy the beats are, no matter how catchy and sing-along the chorus is, no matter how deep or funny or impact the lyrics are............its Haram.

You cant change what is Haram.

Haram is Haram.

A method that I always use is to ask myself "If the Prophet Muhammed (saw) walked in right now, would I turn it off out of embarassment?"

Inshaa Allah your answer to the above question is "yes", so then whats the problem?
    “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Find a halaal entertainment that has the same pleasure music gives you.

For myself, I listened to music to relax. Now I replaced it with binaural beats sans music, and it gave me the same benefit --- tetha wave, alpha wave, they are not music, just monotone audios adjusted in specific frequency to tune in your brain to relaxation and de-stressing.

and I used to be a symphonic metal listener LOL
    OMG, Me too!!!
    Last edited by Ariadne; 07-09-12 at 06:48 PM.

"Place the light in my soul and make light abundant for me.
    Make me light and grant me light.” (Sahih Muslim)

Haven't listened to music since i made the thread Alhamdulilah, not that i listened to it everyday or anything. I don't even wan't to listen to it anymore. Now if only i could get these stupid songs out of my head.

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by asiel_amier View Post
    Is it okay to listen to clean songs?
    no.

Assalam-alaikum,
    Brother search for natural sounds of birds, animals, water, forest, sea ,air,nasheeds etc. on youtube. You can find so many videos on youtube some are really long. I used to have this bad addiction than from Allah's help I started to listen to nature sounds and Alhamdulillah I have reduced it a lot. Honestly even when I try to, Allah(swt) has his mercy on me and I stop it right there and listen to natural sounds(music). Yes, if I am on a public place/watching tv then its there but other than that Allah's has allowed me to avoid it which I used to do a lot while studying etc.

Please let us know if it works.....May Allah help us all to live our lives according to the ways which make Him happy.

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

well the first step is to take all your Music collection and either throw them into the the Trash, or burn them. Delete/Wipe your Electronic MUsic Collections in MP3 etc ...

next do the same for your Movies ...

secondly, don't waste time, our time is running out like sand ... we have no time to waste ... use your free time in that which benefits you in Dunya and Akhira ...

if you start "Killing time" with idle activities which do not benefit you, this is where Shaytaan will find you easy prey ...

Lastly engage yourself and keep your busy with the rememberance of Allah ta'ala/Zikhr, and other Halaal activities.

Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 08-09-12 at 08:18 PM.
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

Just do it for one day and then keep doing it for one day, everyday..soon it will turn into a habit and you won't even need it. Try nasheeds as well if you're really tempted to search for 'songs' on youtube. It's abit difficult sometimes but you will get there inshaAllah. Also, figure out what's causing your need to listen to music, if it's something deeper in life, then find a solution to that so you can cut out the emotional connection to music.

Secondly, the whole jukebox in the head problem will last longer but if you stick to it, the lyrics will slowly disappear and all you will be left with is humming and it sounds kinda silly when you start making up lyrics so naturally, you will just disconnect. Trust me on this, I had this jukebox in the head problem..now, all I remember is a few song titles.

And finally, what helps is praying in jamat. I didn't realize this was effective until I started praying salah behind my husband, nowadays I find myself randomly reciting verses of the Quran in my head because I listen to his recitation during salah. It really works MashaAllah. Just give it a try inshaAllah.

May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.
    Mrs B

Odan

download/listen to lotsa Islamic lectures. Thats what i did. I deleted all the music, replaced them with so many Islamic lectures, i nevre had time to listen to music anymore, and lotsa good Quran recitation.

Odan

a simple trick I find is to remember 2 things

1 - it displeases Allah swt
    2 - could lead you to hellfire

Quote Originally Posted by shazj View Post
    Just do it for one day and then keep doing it for one day, everyday..soon it will turn into a habit and you won't even need it. Try nasheeds as well if you're really tempted to search for 'songs' on youtube. It's abit difficult sometimes but you will get there inshaAllah. Also, figure out what's causing your need to listen to music, if it's something deeper in life, then find a solution to that so you can cut out the emotional connection to music.

Secondly, the whole jukebox in the head problem will last longer but if you stick to it, the lyrics will slowly disappear and all you will be left with is humming and it sounds kinda silly when you start making up lyrics so naturally, you will just disconnect. Trust me on this, I had this jukebox in the head problem..now, all I remember is a few song titles.

And finally, what helps is praying in jamat. I didn't realize this was effective until I started praying salah behind my husband, nowadays I find myself randomly reciting verses of the Quran in my head because I listen to his recitation during salah. It really works MashaAllah. Just give it a try inshaAllah.

May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.
    Ameen

Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    Assalam-alaikum,
    Brother search for natural sounds of birds, animals, water, forest, sea ,air,nasheeds etc. on youtube. You can find so many videos on youtube some are really long. I used to have this bad addiction than from Allah's help I started to listen to nature sounds and Alhamdulillah I have reduced it a lot. Honestly even when I try to, Allah(swt) has his mercy on me and I stop it right there and listen to natural sounds(music). Yes, if I am on a public place/watching tv then its there but other than that Allah's has allowed me to avoid it which I used to do a lot while studying etc.

Please let us know if it works.....May Allah help us all to live our lives according to the ways which make Him happy.
    Ameen

for all the advice

Blessed mummy and wive...

This is a good useful thread, MashaAllah. I've decided today, that I will end my friendship with music. InshaAllah Khayr.

Jizaakum Allah for all the wonderful tips and reminders.

Bump, for others to see

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
    Well I used to have gaming addiction, but then I deleted my account and alhamdulilah I stopped playing.

So in your case, delete all your songs on your music system.

If that does not work then SMASH your MP3 on the floor for the sake of Allah!!
    Thats one way to do I love smashing. But won't be smashing my Ipod still it's got no music o. It ant way Im going to take my cd's and make a mirror out of them

I only recently like this year found out music was Haram I just stopped listening to it. Make Dua ask Allah for strength job done it's not that hard just think every time you listen to music your follow shaitan next time you are tempted to listen too it on your phone or something just visualise hell fire. If you need to listen to something listen to Quran or Islamic lectures. I do this too. Quran is much more beautiful. Sometimes I listen to bird songs to or nature sounds my budgies also love listening to Quran. Amazingly The Quran SubhanAllah affects animals too. For example my.cat eill go very still and quite to the Quran. My Budgies sing to it and I managed to calm down a wild pigeon by playing the Quran it soothed it. The pigeon which was very frightened and injured became so calm from The Quran that I was actually able to hand fed it water and food. Then it feel asleep. I had the pigeon for three days until the local rspca picked it up. It was the most beautiful rewarding feeling ti hand feed it with a spoon. But I wouldn't of be able to do it with out the help of Allah guiding me to use Quran to sooth the terrified bird. Al humDuAllah trust me listen to Quran you'll not miss music do much. Btw here is my pigeon
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ Subhan'Allah