Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48
  1. #1

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Where does the sun go when it sets ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    It doesn't go anywhere. The earth spins, and when the part of the earth you are on spins away from the sun, it appears to "set".

    Are you referring to anything in particular, for example the moon following the sun which sets in a pool? I'm sure there's a good explanation for that; I just don't have it.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    the sun rotates around the earth so when its set on the east side it appears in the west, and vice versa

  4. #4
    Watching a Circus Yunus aua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    12,582
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    Where does the sun go when it sets ?
    Why don't you just post the hadith you have in mind?

  5. #5

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hally13 View Post
    the sun rotates around the earth so when its set on the east side it appears in the west, and vice versa
    The sun rotates around the earth ?

  6. #6
    Transformation Complete Zesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    17,775
    Rep Power
    358

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    The earth rotates around the sun! Not vice versa
    I thought the darkness/night just envelops the sun by permission of Allah. It goes to the court of Allah where again the next morning it will seek Allahs permission to rise
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

  7. #7

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Is the sun in outer space ?

  8. #8
    Its fine, take a 38mm noobz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    35,328
    Rep Power
    492

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    the sun needs some rest , it goes to sleep on the moon.




  9. #9
    Watching a Circus Yunus aua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    12,582
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    Is the sun in outer space ?
    Where is outer space?

  10. #10

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yunus aua View Post
    Where is outer space?
    deep question, let me think about that one

  11. #11
    YDoUwant2KnoIfImHappy/Not GuCcI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    14,846
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunus aua View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    Is the sun in outer space ?
    Where is outer space?
    A few blocks from your backyard.
    Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

  12. #12
    Odan sweetstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by hally13 View Post
    the sun rotates around the earth so when its set on the east side it appears in the west, and vice versa
    Salams sister it's the earth that rotates around the sun not the sun around the earth dear.

  13. #13
    Watching a Circus Yunus aua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    12,582
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuCcI View Post
    A few blocks from your backyard.
    So that's what that thing is. Every time I walk by it I stare into it and wonder if there's any life there. It seemed so lifeless

  14. #14

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    -----
    Last edited by Umar Khattab; 14-08-12 at 06:29 PM. Reason: really dumb question

  15. #15
    Odan yassin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    4,700
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    Where does the sun go when it sets ?
    I know the Hadith you are mocking at... but ponder this....

    Where do YOU go when you sleep ?

    Phsypically.... nowhere. You stay in your bed.

    But you Soul - according to Islam - leaves the body and goes up to Allah (swt).

    I heard according to a hadith of Abu darda (ra) when the Soul goes up to Allah (swt) during sleep if it is pure it is given permission to make sujood, and if it is not then is not, and according to
    another hadith if Allah (swt) has decreed death for someone then his soul is not returned to his body, what we call "He died in his sleep".

    The point being there are two aspects (actually several but for this discussion 2) aspects to the human the Physical and the Ruh (Soul).

    Now back to the Sun.... if you want to know what it does physically go observe it (science) and if you want to know some of the secrets of the unseen then study Revelation (Quran + Hadith).

    Allah (swt) revealed the Sun and other planets travel in a pre-set orbit.. .1400 years ago, but it is only in the last 100-200 years we appreciate what this means. In a similar manner Allah (swt) told us about the spiritual dimensions of the Sun, and in my view we (as a species) are not ready to fully appreciate this knowledge in our times, because Western thought is dominant in the world today and Western thought
    focuses primarily on the physical and material.

    Humanity has a long way to go before we fully appreciate the ayats of Allah (swt).
    "And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers"(51:55)


    The Snake and Malik ibn Dinar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfrNtDw5Yc

  16. #16

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by yassin' View Post
    I know the Hadith you are mocking at...
    I'm not mocking any hadith, I am just asking a question.

    I love the hadiths.

    Quote Originally Posted by yassin' View Post
    But you Soul - according to Islam - leaves the body and goes up to Allah (swt).
    Wow I honestly never knew that, does that mean that when we sleep, we are soul-less ?

    So if a person murders a person that is asleep, would that be considered 'murder', if the body doesn't have a soul in it at the time ?
    Last edited by Umar Khattab; 14-08-12 at 05:55 PM.

  17. #17
    Odan yassin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    4,700
    Rep Power
    118

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    I have a question, it might sound odd,, really really odd, forgive me if it does, but here it goes;

    If the sun is in outer space and it goes to the throne of Allah and asks permission;

    then is the throne also in outer space, because that's where the sun is ?

    Please forgive me for asking such a question but does anybody have the answer ?
    The throne of Allah in outer space ?

    You have not understood akhi, wallahi you have not understood who Allah (azza wa jal) is....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYYP1K4omwM
    "And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers"(51:55)


    The Snake and Malik ibn Dinar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfrNtDw5Yc

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    The hadith in Bukhari about Abu Dharr has no errors, astronomically or religiously. It states the sun goes under the throne of Allah, not under the earth. The hadith is basically saying that the sun is constantly asking permission to pursue it's course because it is bound by the power of Allah, One day it will not be given permission to pursue it's course and will be told to rise from the west (as it appears to us). If the hadith explicitly said it goes under the earth, then big problem. If you try and understand the hadith, it's actually beautiful, and certainly doesn't contradict science.

  19. #19
    Vulcan LondoMollari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    Where does the sun go when it sets ?
    Duh! Other side of the planet! Not that it sets as such, it's the earth rotating which is why the sun appears to move across the sky
    Logic is the cement of our civilisation, with which we ascend from chaos, using reason and faith in Allah as our guide.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    644
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Actually in the Hadith of Muslim it adds another piece of information:

    [and it returns and emerges out from its rising place and then it glides (in such a normal way) that the people do not discern anything ( unusual in it) till it reaches its resting place under the throne.]

    Meaning whatever it is that the sun is doing, the people will never notice it.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TripolySunni View Post
    Actually in the Hadith of Muslim it adds another piece of information:

    [and it returns and emerges out from its rising place and then it glides (in such a normal way) that the people do not discern anything ( unusual in it) till it reaches its resting place under the throne.]

    Meaning whatever it is that the sun is doing, the people will never notice it.
    @TripolySunni

    It mentions Resting place in the hadith you just mentioned from Muslim. What is the resting place, will it be on the day of judgement?

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    644
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by uali3 View Post
    @TripolySunni

    It mentions Resting place in the hadith you just mentioned from Muslim. What is the resting place, will it be on the day of judgement?
    I wouldn't know, but as you wrote it keeps prostrating continuously under the throne (This is not a specific location) until Allah forbids it from continuing on the last days.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    I cannot believe that the OP is anything but a troll or exceedingly ignorant fellow.

    FACTS:

    The earth rotates so that you get the sunset/sunrise effect.
    The earth, in common with the other solar system planets rotates around the sun
    The sun moves with its planets though the cosmos.

    (& BTW the moon rotates around the earth, as do the moons of the other planets).

    THESE ARE ABSOLUTE FACTS AS TRUE AS 1+1 =2

    What evidence do I have?

    All this is based on the work of Isaac Newton.
    Today, the satellites that bring TV & the web to millions relies on his physics.
    The moon landings relied on this physics
    All the computations of tides require this knowledge so that the relative gravitation effects can be computed.
    All nations with a coastline know this and rely on these calculations all around the earth.

    Disappointing as it may be to some but this will include all Islamic nations who use the sea since have to rely on the Newtonian mechanics of the Solar System - and they do!
    (I suppose if you live in the Afghan hinterland you don't have to accept this).

    This is not a matter for debate for anybody who can breathe and looks forward to tomorrow's sunrise.

    AGAIN
    I repeat that the OP must be a troll or someone with almost zero knowledge of real science.

  24. #24

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    867
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by uali3 View Post
    The hadith in Bukhari about Abu Dharr has no errors, astronomically or religiously. It states the sun goes under the throne of Allah, not under the earth. The hadith is basically saying that the sun is constantly asking permission to pursue it's course because it is bound by the power of Allah, One day it will not be given permission to pursue it's course and will be told to rise from the west (as it appears to us). If the hadith explicitly said it goes under the earth, then big problem. If you try and understand the hadith, it's actually beautiful, and certainly doesn't contradict science.
    For the sun to 'rise' from the west the earth would have to rotate in the other direction. It's the earth's rotation that turns night into day and vice versa.

    The sun also has an orbit which we don't notice. Perhaps the Hadith is referring to that?

  25. #25

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    867
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Britishman View Post
    I cannot believe that the OP is anything but a troll or exceedingly ignorant fellow.

    FACTS:

    The earth rotates so that you get the sunset/sunrise effect.
    The earth, in common with the other solar system planets rotates around the sun
    The sun moves with its planets though the cosmos.

    (& BTW the moon rotates around the earth, as do the moons of the other planets).

    THESE ARE ABSOLUTE FACTS AS TRUE AS 1+1 =2

    What evidence do I have?

    All this is based on the work of Isaac Newton.
    Today, the satellites that bring TV & the web to millions relies on his physics.
    The moon landings relied on this physics
    All the computations of tides require this knowledge so that the relative gravitation effects can be computed.
    All nations with a coastline know this and rely on these calculations all around the earth.

    Disappointing as it may be to some but this will include all Islamic nations who use the sea since have to rely on the Newtonian mechanics of the Solar System - and they do!
    (I suppose if you live in the Afghan hinterland you don't have to accept this).

    This is not a matter for debate for anybody who can breathe and looks forward to tomorrow's sunrise.

    AGAIN
    I repeat that the OP must be a troll or someone with almost zero knowledge of real science.
    Did that post make you feel clever?

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Not really I knew all this when I was in primary school; hence my 7 year old's explanation.

    I was appalled by the OP and found it difficult to understand.
    I'm pretty sure he/she must be a troll or how else could anyone ask such a question?

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    At the risk of offending- concerning my note above:

    If these facts don't tally with hadith, then you'd should seek better interpretations, 'cos they're still facts.

    Ask an airline pilot, (or even an astronaut), a mariner, anybody - yes anybody with any more than elementary science knowledge - they are facts.

    So if the OP is troll - forget it; if not get some education.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Muqarrib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    726
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hally13 View Post
    the sun rotates around the earth so when its set on the east side it appears in the west, and vice versa
    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    The sun rotates around the earth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    The earth rotates around the sun! Not vice versa
    I thought the darkness/night just envelops the sun by permission of Allah. It goes to the court of Allah where again the next morning it will seek Allahs permission to rise

    Ouch people. The word you are looking for is:

    REVOLVES


    i.e. is the Earth REVOLVES around the sun.


    The Earth "rotates" on its axis as it revolves around the sun.

    Just a slight correction from ur friendly, neighborhood science Nazi.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    The sun rotates around the earth ?
    There are some scientiest who believe that, that was told to me by university professor.

  30. #30
    With age, comes wisdom. Ms Ami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    3,029
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    It goes to welcome the other side of the Earth.

  31. #31
    Odan sweetstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Muqarrib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hally13 View Post
    the sun rotates around the earth so when its set on the east side it appears in the west, and vice versa
    Quote Originally Posted by Umar Khattab View Post
    The sun rotates around the earth ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    The earth rotates around the sun! Not vice versa
    I thought the darkness/night just envelops the sun by permission of Allah. It goes to the court of Allah where again the next morning it will seek Allahs permission to rise

    Ouch people. The word you are looking for is:

    REVOLVES


    i.e. is the Earth REVOLVES around the sun.


    The Earth "rotates" on its axis as it revolves around the sun.

    Just a slight correction from ur friendly, neighborhood science Nazi.
    Duh silly me lol

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    748
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    the sun is constantly asking permission to pursue it's course because it is bound by the power of Allah, One day it will not be given permission to pursue it's course and will be told to rise from the west
    I hope this personification of the sun is meant metaphorically. The idea that the sun has desires and emotions puts me in mind of various cultures who have worshiped the sun.

  33. #33
    Vulcan LondoMollari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
    I hope this personification of the sun is meant metaphorically. The idea that the sun has desires and emotions puts me in mind of various cultures who have worshiped the sun.
    it's metaphorical
    Logic is the cement of our civilisation, with which we ascend from chaos, using reason and faith in Allah as our guide.

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    This should clear up everything...Got it from a post from a brother on another website and it's how a lot of scholars understand the hadith





    Allah swt tells us in the Qur'an that:
    22:18 Do you not see that to Allah prostrates those in the heavens and those on the earth and the sun, the moon, the stars, the mountains, the trees, the moving creatures and many of the people? But upon many the punishment has been justified...

    This verse tells us that everything prostrates (performs sujûd) to Allah, including mountains and trees and the sun and the moon. But we don't see mountains and trees bending over; they prostrate to Him through their adherence to the natural laws He has subjected them to, and as such they are in complete submission to His will. This verse tells us the same is true for the sun. Its movement and functions are all part of its prostration to Allah swt. Notice also the wording of this verse; it says Do you not SEE that everything prostrates to Allah including the sun and the moon. So the prostration of the sun is not something that happens only after we see it set; no, the prostration of the sun is perpetual and VISIBLE to us in that we see it subjected to the orders of Allah swt. So what is the prophet saws telling us in the hadith? He is saying that even though the sun disappears from your sight it is STILL in submission and prostration to Allah swt even though you think it is gone or not doing anything. Just as you see it in prostration to Him during the day, it is like that during your night. This is the explanation of his saying that the sun goes and makes sujûd.

    As for the saying about the throne of Allah swt, then as soon as we speak of anything related to Allah, it immediately negates physical descriptions of space and time. Therefore, there is no specific location where the sun can travel to prostrate, since we stand before Allah everyday in our salah despite the various locations. As for time, then the description necessitates that the sun is constantly in prostration as sunset occurs continuously around the world. And as for the act of prostration, then the Qur'an describes that the prostration and worship of all creation is in obeying the commands and laws of its Creator, as we mentioned earlier.

    So the Prophet saws asked his companions, "Do you know where the sun goes when it sets?", meaning, do you know what the sun is doing and where it is when it disappears? Then he explained, "it goes until it prostrates under the throne of Allah swt", meaning it continues in its percieved path relative to the earth, all the while in prostration before Allah swt. And it is in this state until it is ordered to return to its place of rising, meaning the point at which it becomes visible again for us and its prostration becomes visible. And this continues until on the Day of Judgement this process will reverse.

    The Prophet peace be upon often employed these symbolic, allegorical or metaphorical descriptions. Another example can be found in the Hadeeth related by 'Amr bin 'Absah.

    I asked the Apostle of Allah about Salaah and the Apostle said:

    "Pray morning prayer, then stop praying until the sun has risen, for it rises between two horns of Shaitaan (the devil); at that time, the disbelievers prostrate to it. Then pray, for the prayer at this time is witnessed and attended to by (the angels) until the shadow is on the side of a spear (that is when the shadow of things is equal with it), then stop praying for at that time, the hell-fire is fuelled. When afternoon comes, pray, for prayer at that time is witnessed and attended to by (the angels), until you pray 'Asr, then stop praying until the sun sets, for it sets between the two horns of Shaitaan, at that time the disbelievers prostrate to it." (Ahmad/Muslim)

    Here the Prophet saws stated that the sun sets between the horns of the devil, whereas in the other hadith, it sets under the throne of Allah swt. Thus, we cannot take a literal interpretation especially since the logic behind the hadith is obvious to us as it was to the companions.

    Regarding the hadith of the sun setting under Allah's throne, the companions never thought that the Prophet's point was to describe an astronomy lesson in the hadith. Rather, it was to let them know that not only is the sun also a servant of Allah and in constant obedience, but that its routine would come to an end at the day of judgement.

    Regarding the hadith where the sun sets between the horns of the devil, again, the logic is that at sunset the devil inspires many people to worship the sun because of its splendid appearance at this time, and therefore Muslims should avoid anything that could make them similar to the the disbelievers.

    Why did the Prophet saws use analogies like this? He was speaking to arabs 1400 years ago who had no understanding of science and could only relate to what they were witnessing around them. So he used his words carefully and allegorically taught lessons in worship through connecting them to worldly phenomenon.

  35. #35
    Servant of A||AH TipuSultan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    721
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by uali3 View Post
    This should clear up everything...Got it from a post from a brother on another website and it's how a lot of scholars understand the hadith





    Allah swt tells us in the Qur'an that:
    22:18 Do you not see that to Allah prostrates those in the heavens and those on the earth and the sun, the moon, the stars, the mountains, the trees, the moving creatures and many of the people? But upon many the punishment has been justified...

    This verse tells us that everything prostrates (performs sujūd) to Allah, including mountains and trees and the sun and the moon. But we don't see mountains and trees bending over; they prostrate to Him through their adherence to the natural laws He has subjected them to, and as such they are in complete submission to His will. This verse tells us the same is true for the sun. Its movement and functions are all part of its prostration to Allah swt. Notice also the wording of this verse; it says Do you not SEE that everything prostrates to Allah including the sun and the moon. So the prostration of the sun is not something that happens only after we see it set; no, the prostration of the sun is perpetual and VISIBLE to us in that we see it subjected to the orders of Allah swt. So what is the prophet saws telling us in the hadith? He is saying that even though the sun disappears from your sight it is STILL in submission and prostration to Allah swt even though you think it is gone or not doing anything. Just as you see it in prostration to Him during the day, it is like that during your night. This is the explanation of his saying that the sun goes and makes sujūd.

    As for the saying about the throne of Allah swt, then as soon as we speak of anything related to Allah, it immediately negates physical descriptions of space and time. Therefore, there is no specific location where the sun can travel to prostrate, since we stand before Allah everyday in our salah despite the various locations. As for time, then the description necessitates that the sun is constantly in prostration as sunset occurs continuously around the world. And as for the act of prostration, then the Qur'an describes that the prostration and worship of all creation is in obeying the commands and laws of its Creator, as we mentioned earlier.

    So the Prophet saws asked his companions, "Do you know where the sun goes when it sets?", meaning, do you know what the sun is doing and where it is when it disappears? Then he explained, "it goes until it prostrates under the throne of Allah swt", meaning it continues in its percieved path relative to the earth, all the while in prostration before Allah swt. And it is in this state until it is ordered to return to its place of rising, meaning the point at which it becomes visible again for us and its prostration becomes visible. And this continues until on the Day of Judgement this process will reverse.

    The Prophet peace be upon often employed these symbolic, allegorical or metaphorical descriptions. Another example can be found in the Hadeeth related by 'Amr bin 'Absah.

    I asked the Apostle of Allah about Salaah and the Apostle said:

    "Pray morning prayer, then stop praying until the sun has risen, for it rises between two horns of Shaitaan (the devil); at that time, the disbelievers prostrate to it. Then pray, for the prayer at this time is witnessed and attended to by (the angels) until the shadow is on the side of a spear (that is when the shadow of things is equal with it), then stop praying for at that time, the hell-fire is fuelled. When afternoon comes, pray, for prayer at that time is witnessed and attended to by (the angels), until you pray 'Asr, then stop praying until the sun sets, for it sets between the two horns of Shaitaan, at that time the disbelievers prostrate to it." (Ahmad/Muslim)

    Here the Prophet saws stated that the sun sets between the horns of the devil, whereas in the other hadith, it sets under the throne of Allah swt. Thus, we cannot take a literal interpretation especially since the logic behind the hadith is obvious to us as it was to the companions.

    Regarding the hadith of the sun setting under Allah's throne, the companions never thought that the Prophet's point was to describe an astronomy lesson in the hadith. Rather, it was to let them know that not only is the sun also a servant of Allah and in constant obedience, but that its routine would come to an end at the day of judgement.

    Regarding the hadith where the sun sets between the horns of the devil, again, the logic is that at sunset the devil inspires many people to worship the sun because of its splendid appearance at this time, and therefore Muslims should avoid anything that could make them similar to the the disbelievers.

    Why did the Prophet saws use analogies like this? He was speaking to arabs 1400 years ago who had no understanding of science and could only relate to what they were witnessing around them. So he used his words carefully and allegorically taught lessons in worship through connecting them to worldly phenomenon.
    JazakALLAH. Well explained.
    "A single day of a Lions life is worth more than a hundered years of the life of a fox" (Final moments of Tipu Sultan)
    "don't weep like a woman for what you could not defend as a man" (mother of Muhammad XII, Final moments of Muslim rule in Spain)

  36. #36
    Odan
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    9,714
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Britishman View Post
    AGAIN
    I repeat that the OP must be a troll or someone with almost zero knowledge of real science.
    he should be banned until next ramadan. asking irrelevant questions.

  37. #37
    Watching a Circus Yunus aua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    12,582
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by deen1984 View Post
    he should be banned until next ramadan. asking irrelevant questions.
    He seems to be going through the books of hadith and inquiring about the ones he doesn't understand.
    Eventually he'll reach the one about excessive questioning inshallah

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    748
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Why did the Prophet saws use analogies like this? He was speaking to arabs 1400 years ago who had no understanding of science and could only relate to what they were witnessing around them. So he used his words carefully and allegorically taught lessons in worship through connecting them to worldly phenomenon.
    I understand this, but certainly Mohammed was aware that eventually knowledge in these areas would become broadeer and more specific. Is there any allowance in the Quran or hadith for this, or are Muslims locked into the metaphors, for their understanding?

  39. #39

    Account Disabled

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by uali3 View Post
    This should clear up everything...Got it from a post from a brother on another website and it's how a lot of scholars understand the hadith





    Allah swt tells us in the Qur'an that:
    22:18 Do you not see that to Allah prostrates those in the heavens and those on the earth and the sun, the moon, the stars, the mountains, the trees, the moving creatures and many of the people? But upon many the punishment has been justified...

    This verse tells us that everything prostrates (performs sujūd) to Allah, including mountains and trees and the sun and the moon. But we don't see mountains and trees bending over; they prostrate to Him through their adherence to the natural laws He has subjected them to, and as such they are in complete submission to His will. This verse tells us the same is true for the sun. Its movement and functions are all part of its prostration to Allah swt. Notice also the wording of this verse; it says Do you not SEE that everything prostrates to Allah including the sun and the moon. So the prostration of the sun is not something that happens only after we see it set; no, the prostration of the sun is perpetual and VISIBLE to us in that we see it subjected to the orders of Allah swt. So what is the prophet saws telling us in the hadith? He is saying that even though the sun disappears from your sight it is STILL in submission and prostration to Allah swt even though you think it is gone or not doing anything. Just as you see it in prostration to Him during the day, it is like that during your night. This is the explanation of his saying that the sun goes and makes sujūd.

    As for the saying about the throne of Allah swt, then as soon as we speak of anything related to Allah, it immediately negates physical descriptions of space and time. Therefore, there is no specific location where the sun can travel to prostrate, since we stand before Allah everyday in our salah despite the various locations. As for time, then the description necessitates that the sun is constantly in prostration as sunset occurs continuously around the world. And as for the act of prostration, then the Qur'an describes that the prostration and worship of all creation is in obeying the commands and laws of its Creator, as we mentioned earlier.

    So the Prophet saws asked his companions, "Do you know where the sun goes when it sets?", meaning, do you know what the sun is doing and where it is when it disappears? Then he explained, "it goes until it prostrates under the throne of Allah swt", meaning it continues in its percieved path relative to the earth, all the while in prostration before Allah swt. And it is in this state until it is ordered to return to its place of rising, meaning the point at which it becomes visible again for us and its prostration becomes visible. And this continues until on the Day of Judgement this process will reverse.

    The Prophet peace be upon often employed these symbolic, allegorical or metaphorical descriptions. Another example can be found in the Hadeeth related by 'Amr bin 'Absah.

    I asked the Apostle of Allah about Salaah and the Apostle said:

    "Pray morning prayer, then stop praying until the sun has risen, for it rises between two horns of Shaitaan (the devil); at that time, the disbelievers prostrate to it. Then pray, for the prayer at this time is witnessed and attended to by (the angels) until the shadow is on the side of a spear (that is when the shadow of things is equal with it), then stop praying for at that time, the hell-fire is fuelled. When afternoon comes, pray, for prayer at that time is witnessed and attended to by (the angels), until you pray 'Asr, then stop praying until the sun sets, for it sets between the two horns of Shaitaan, at that time the disbelievers prostrate to it." (Ahmad/Muslim)

    Here the Prophet saws stated that the sun sets between the horns of the devil, whereas in the other hadith, it sets under the throne of Allah swt. Thus, we cannot take a literal interpretation especially since the logic behind the hadith is obvious to us as it was to the companions.

    Regarding the hadith of the sun setting under Allah's throne, the companions never thought that the Prophet's point was to describe an astronomy lesson in the hadith. Rather, it was to let them know that not only is the sun also a servant of Allah and in constant obedience, but that its routine would come to an end at the day of judgement.

    Regarding the hadith where the sun sets between the horns of the devil, again, the logic is that at sunset the devil inspires many people to worship the sun because of its splendid appearance at this time, and therefore Muslims should avoid anything that could make them similar to the the disbelievers.

    Why did the Prophet saws use analogies like this? He was speaking to arabs 1400 years ago who had no understanding of science and could only relate to what they were witnessing around them. So he used his words carefully and allegorically taught lessons in worship through connecting them to worldly phenomenon.
    Thanks

  40. #40
    Watching a Circus Yunus aua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    12,582
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Where does the Sun go when it sets ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
    I understand this, but certainly Mohammed was aware that eventually knowledge in these areas would become broadeer and more specific. Is there any allowance in the Quran or hadith for this, or are Muslims locked into the metaphors, for their understanding?
    The way the Quran and the Sunnah came was so that it could be easily embraced. Imagine if Allah had talked about electrons and neutrinos and the likes. How many of the people of that time or even now would be able to approach it and believe. As the Qur'an and Sunnah was revealed it is much more accessible to mankind


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Super PM System provided by vBSuper_PM (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone
Omar Esa Nasheed Artist
| Omar Esa Nasheeds | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Nasheeds : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Hijabs Online | Hijabs | Hijab Shop | Hijab Shop | AlJazeera Live, MBC Live, Makkah Live : Treasure of The Scholars