Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Striving for Perfection Ibrahim70's Avatar

Looking up at the sky during prayer

Narrated Anas bin Malik (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "What is wrong with those people who look towards the sky during the prayer?" His talk grew stern
    while delivering this speech and he said, "They should stop (looking towards the sky during the prayer); otherwise their eye-sight would be
    taken away."

Bukhari Vol. 1 : No. 717
    ......however, I tend to look up at the sky while making dua AFTER the Prayer. I tend to say my dua's, look up at the sky, then back to my palms, to then wipe them over my face.

Am I wrong on doing this?
    “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Lost in the journey ... Brother Hassan's Avatar

Re: Looking up at the sky during prayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim70 View Post
    ......however, I tend to look up at the sky while making dua AFTER the Prayer. I tend to say my dua's, look up at the sky, then back to my palms, to then wipe them over my face.

Best not to do this, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Hassan View Post
    Best not to do this, I would say.
    Ok fair enough

Well that was quick! Brother
    “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Account Disabled

I don't know the answer but if you say the reason WHY you do this, then perhaps it will be easier for someone to provide an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hafsah1 View Post
    I don't know the answer but if you say the reason WHY you do this, then perhaps it will be easier for someone to provide an answer.
    The reason why I do that? Perhaps because as a born non-Muslim I was brought up to believe the God in up there on a cloud watching down upon us (Christians, love em ), and so with this in mind i tend to look up to where I believe Allah is, looking down upon me. Not on a cloud of course(!), but just above us looking down upon us.

Now I think about it, im wrong arent i.....

I used to see a lot of people looking at the Ka'bah when in Salaah.......is this permissable?
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

Lost in the journey ... Brother Hassan's Avatar

The reason why I do that? Perhaps because as a born non-Muslim I was brought up to believe the God in up there on a cloud watching down upon us (Christians, love em ), and so with this in mind i tend to look up to where I believe Allah is, looking down upon me. Not on a cloud of course(!), but just above us looking down upon us.

Yup, if you think he is physically and literrally up there than that could account to shirk as Allah is free from time and space.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Hassan View Post
    Yup, if you think he is physically and literrally up there than that could account to shirk as Allah is free from time and space.
    Good point, ok this spells the end of me looking up at the sky then

once again Ahki

Yeh but you're not looking up while praying salaah, you're doing it during the duaa, I think it is talking about when you do it while in salaah.
    Last edited by x--x; 14-05-12 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by x--x View Post
    Yeh but you're not looking up while praying salaah, you're doing it during the duaa, I think he is talking about when you do it while in salaah.
    Yes He (saw) was, but i was just wondering i this ruling also applied to duas as well....

Yes He (saw) was, but i was just wondering i this ruling also applied to duas as well....
    Ops sorry didn't read the OP properly didn't realise it was a hadith

The Etiquette of Du'a

"To abstain from raising the eyes towards the sky whilst making Duaa (Muslim)"

Also, while in salaah, your eyes should be where you will prostrate, for the most part.

Wallahu Alam.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post

The Etiquette of Du'a

a worthy read for us all

lol i get you i had to break the habit of looking up too best to not do so though brother what i did was concentrate on my actions as well as the words of my prayer keeping in total submission best to keep your eyes down as a state of respect for The Almighty. looking down to the ground or down at the lap/hands is a sign of humbleness

The Etiquette of Du'a

Also, while in salaah, your eyes should be where you will prostrate, for the most part.

Wallahu Alam.
    How does that tally in with the ayah.

144. Verily! We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad's http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNoble...mages/saws.gif) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid- al-Haram (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scriptures (i.e. Jews and the Christians) know well that, that (your turning towards the direction of the Ka'bahat Makkah in prayers) is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.

FEAR ALLAH (SWT) AS HE DESERVES TO BE FEARED!!!
    OH Allah help your slaves in As Sham
    Donate to syria.
    *Sisters please do not rep or PM me as my wife will kill me so rep her instead*

your not supposed to wipe your face after dua
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEByg...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by in_exile View Post
    How does that tally in with the ayah.

144. Verily! We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad's http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNoble...mages/saws.gif) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid- al-Haram (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scriptures (i.e. Jews and the Christians) know well that, that (your turning towards the direction of the Ka'bahat Makkah in prayers) is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.

According to Maariful Qur'an, the turning of the face is the Prophet anxiously waiting for an angel to come with the injunction that Allah had make the Kabah the new Qiblah.

Quote Originally Posted by faatima18 View Post
    your not supposed to wipe your face after dua
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEByg...eature=related
    There are hadiths that show that Rasulullah used to wipe his face. I believe there's a difference of opinion.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

According to Maariful Qur'an, the turning of the face is the Prophet anxiously waiting for an angel to come with the injunction that Allah had make the Kabah the new Qiblah.

There are hadiths that show that Rasulullah used to wipe his face. I believe there's a difference of opinion.
    According to tafseer Ibn katheer it was supplication aswell.

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...sk=view&id=290

Im not saying that your wrong I just don't trust a site that thinks its ok to ask Ali (ra) to help them pass there exams or that Allah (swt) didn't make your hands and tongue a sufficient means to ask him.
    Donate to syria.

I don't think that's what Sunnipath is saying. They clearly said that all helps comes from Allah.

The way I see it, it's like asking someone to make Dua'a on your behalf, but of course, the Dua'a is answered by Allah, not the one who you asked.

Wallahu Alam.

what is up, that you are looking up?
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
    “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

I don't think that's what Sunnipath is saying. They clearly said that all helps comes from Allah.

The way I see it, it's like asking someone to make Dua'a on your behalf, but of course, the Dua'a is answered by Allah, not the one who you asked.

Wallahu Alam.
    So you believe it's ok to say ya Ali ask Allah to help me pass my exams? Do they think he (ra) can hear them? What about saying oh Ali ask the prophet (saw) to ask Allah (swt) to make me pass my exams. Or maybe someone's to ashamed to ask Ali (ra), oh Abdul Qadir (rh) can you ask Ali (ra) to ask the prophet (saw) to ask Allah (swt).

Anyway I digress, do you know any other fatwa on the duah and sky issue.
    Donate to syria.

Wallahu Alam.
    ok i'm confused, so they are asking Ali to make dua on their behalf ?

Humility and looking at the place of prostration

41- The worshipper must be humble in his prayer, and should avoid everything that may distract him from it, such as adornments and decorations. He should not pray where there is food that he wants to eat, or when he needs to urinate or defecate.

42- Whilst he is standing, he should look towards the place where he will prostrate.

43- He should not look to the right or the left, because looking here and there is a snatching away which the Shaytaan steals from the prayer of the slave.

44- It is not permissible for him to look up at the sky.

Description of the Prophet’s prayer
    (Not related to Dua'a but, it's about salaah)

ok i'm confused, so they are asking Ali to make dua on their behalf ?
    Well, the answers they gave does not mention any person in particular, dead or alive. It just explains it as such:

This is the understanding upon which Muslims 'call upon other than Allah.' It is no different from taking medicine when sick, or going to a mechanic when your car is giving trouble: if you think that the medicine itself creates the healing, or that the mechanic is the one himself creates the fixing, then you have serious innovation in belief. The sound understanding is that Allah creates the healing when you use the medicine, and He creates the fixing when the mechanic does their job: we affirm these means, but also affirm that it is Allah who created both the means and the resultant effect.

Well, the answers they gave does not mention any person in particular, dead or alive. It just explains it as such:
    they are trying to justify calling upon other than allah by comparing it to taking medicine! asking someone to make dua for you is one thing but calling upon others to help you (even if it's with the believe that only Allah can help) is just wrong. why not just ask Allah yourself.
    if they are calling upon dead people it's even worse.

Sister, I don't think they are saying it's OK to call other than Allah, because they've clearly said all help is from Allah.

What do you mean asking someone for Dua'a is "one thing"? Isn't it also calling upon others for help, if we look at it in a way?

Allah knows best. That's how I understood it. I don't personally call upon any one who is dead for Dua'a or help.

Sister, I don't think they are saying it's OK to call other than Allah, because they've clearly said all help is from Allah.

What do you mean asking someone for Dua'a is "one thing"? Isn't it also calling upon others for help, if we look at it in a way?

Allah knows best. That's how I understood it. I don't personally call upon any one who is dead for Dua'a or help.
    what i mean is when you tell someone else to make dua to Allah for you maybe because they are in a better position to have the dua answered. but obviously this person would have to be alive.
    however i think it's better to make dua yourself.

Account Disabled

Looking up can be considered boastful especially when you're supposed to be in submission.

what i mean is when you tell someone else to make dua to Allah for you maybe because they are in a better position to have the dua answered. but obviously this person would have to be alive.
    however i think it's better to make dua yourself.
    People asked Prophet to make Dua'a for them. So nothing wrong with asking others to make Dua'a for you.

Even saying and is making Dua'a.

The Etiquette of Du'a

Wallahu Alam.
    Can you track that whole hadeeth?

I think it was Miqdad ibn al-Aswad (ra) who said he saw the Prophet looking up to the sky when making du'aa

There's a thread by Abu Musab for finding hadiths. Post there