Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Imam shafi' complaining about his memory

Often times as students of knowledge we set our goals in terms of Ayāt and Abyāt, or how many verses and lines of text to memorize. It is easier to gauge our progress by taking measure of how much we have memorized. In times of distress or confusion regarding what to do in our lives, it is natural to seek out the counsel of trusted scholars and supplicating to Allah to remove the distress from us.

However is there anything else that we can focus on in our daily lives that can limit what we are caused to forget of the Qur’ān or Ahādīth? Is there anything we can do every day that will open our heart and intellect and make them better receptacles for knowledge?

Imām ash-Shafi’ī undoubtedly had a powerful memory. It is reported that he memorized al-Muwata from Imām Mālik in a single day. However he began to sense a deficiency in his ability to memorize and retain information, so he asked his Shaykh, the famous Wakī’ bin al-Jarrāh about that. So this situation was turned into prose:
    شَكَوْتُ إِلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي... فَأَرْشَنِي إِلَى تَرْكِ الْمَعَاصِي
    I complained to Wakī’ of a deficiency in my ability to memorize ** So he instructed me to abandon sin

وَقَالَ بِأَنَّ الْعِلْمَ نُورٌ ... وَنُورُ اللهِ لَا يُؤتَاهُ عَاصِي
    And he said to me that knowledge is a light ** And the light of Allah is not granted to a sinner. [1]

For the rest of this article http://www.cordobaacademy.com/imm-ash-shafi-a-his-shaykh.html
    There is no such thing as an Israel,
    It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Re: Imam shafi' complaining about his memory

Quote Originally Posted by RaineR View Post
    Imām ash-Shafi’ī undoubtedly had a powerful memory. It is reported that he memorized al-Muwata from Imām Mālik in a single day.
    SubhanAllah, what amazing abilities these great people had.

The last three lessons are treasures for students of knowledge.

Odan

Imam Abu Hanifah was also questioned about his amazing knowldege.

He said, that the secret lies in Shukr.

Whenever he understood or learnt something - he would always thank Allah.

Which in effect enabled him to learn and understand even MORE.

As shukr only increases the blessings that you have.

Reminds me of this story:

A VALUABLE LESSON IN LIFE FROM THE IMAM GHAZALI (Rahmatullahi Alayh)

Having completed his studies, Imam Ghazali (Rahmatullahi Alayh) was en route back home. On the way the caravan in which he was travelling was waylaid by robbers. Together with his co-travellers, Imam Ghazali (Rahmatullahi Alayh) was dispossessed of all his goods. Amongst his possessions were the carefully written notes of the lectures delivered by his ustads. These notes were also taken by the robbers. Imam Ghazali (Rahmatullahi Alayh) sought out the leader of the band of robbers and pleaded with him: "Your men have taken all my possessions except for the clothes I wear. You may keep the extra clothes and other valuables - I do not lament their loss. However, please ask your men to return the papers they have taken."

The leader of the band of robbers was amazed at this unusual request. This young man was not worried about clothes and valuables, but he was asking for some pieces of paper to be returned!

Very curious, he asked: "What papers are these?"

Imam Ghazali (Rahmatullah Alayh) explained: "I am a student returning home after completing my studies. When my teachers used to lecture, I used to make notes. These are those very pages of 'ilm that I am requesting to be returned to me."

The leader of the robbers said, "What you have just said fills me with great sorrow and regret. Young lad! Is your 'ilm on pieces of paper when it should have been in your heart? Papers can get lost. Papers can be destroyed by fire, become parched by the sun, get eaten by moths, become damaged with damp, etc., etc. You are dependent on papers? It fills me with great pity. Your 'ilm should be in your heart! Be that as it may, your papers will be returned."

He summoned one of his men and ordered him, "Give back to this boy his papers." The notes were retrieved and returned to Imam Ghazali (Rahmatullahi Alayh).

Imam Ghazali (Rahmatullah Alayh) was of noble character. He was, moreover, a dedicated student. The words of the gang-leader were like a knife piercing his heart. On reaching home, he lost no time in memorising all his notes!
    The Sahaba (radiAllahu anhum) used to cling to the Sunnah just because it was Sunnah
    Today we abandon the Sunnah, just because it's Sunnah.

Mashallaaaaaaah

mountain of Islamic knowledge .

http://quran.cc/images/Quranlogo.png........http://i.imgur.com/b066ayL.png

“My sin burdened me heavily. But when I measured it against Your Grace, O Lord, Your forgiveness came out greater.” Imam Shafie

The great imam as shafi
    He went to his teacher waki
    Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
    He told him abandon rebellion
    For knowledge is a light
    And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebellion
    Al ilm man noor

Nasheed by Talib al habib, it's absolutely beautiful. Infact my 3 years favourite and he knows the whole thing lol
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    The great imam as shafi
    For knowledge is a light
    Al ilm man noor

Nasheed by Talib al habib, it's absolutely beautiful. Infact my 3 years favourite and he knows the whole thing lol
    I knew the Arabic sounded familiar. Yes, the nasheed!

شهيد إن شاء الله

anything from quran and sunnah about this?

because these are all emotional sayings of lema, but are they based off of anything the prophet pbuh said?

because i know of some people who are sinners but have lots of ilm.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allâh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allâh with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by uncle umar View Post
    Depends on the type of ilm they have.

As true ilm is that what is seen in ones character, actions, behaviour etc

If one cant see that in them, then they dont have lots of ilm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    The great imam as shafi
    For knowledge is a light
    Al ilm man noor

سبحان الله
    What is it called Sis?
    7 Heavens and The Arsh & Kursi Of Allah - by Sheikh Ahmed Ali [HD]

Subhan'Allah wa bi-hamdihi
    Glorified is Allah with all praise due to Him

SubhanAllah I wish I had Imam Shaf'i's memory... But it's so true, less sin = better memory..

Quote Originally Posted by deenlover1 View Post

سبحان الله
    What is it called Sis?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plB_0zEYmeI

Assalaamu alaikum it is said the reminder benefits the believer I'm most definitely going to spread this reminder regarding abandoning sin...

speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uncle umar View Post
    anything from quran and sunnah about this?

because these are all emotional sayings of lema, but are they based off of anything the prophet pbuh said?

There is something similar related from ibn Mas'ud radiyallahu 'anh.
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

I read today that Imam as-Suyuti memorized the Qur'an before reaching the age of 8, Masha'Allah.
    Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
    فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم