Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Post Useful Links & Info For New Muslims

Declaring shahaadah and performing salat ( prayer) for a new non-Arabic speaking Muslim

I have read the many pages of your web site that instructs a non-believer. I believe that there is only Allah (one God). Ibelieve that Muhammed is the seal of the prophets. History bears this out. My question is: How do I declare this (shahadah) if I do not speak arabic? How do I perform the five daily prayers (salah) without understanding arabic? Finally would I have to change my name?

Praise be to Allaah.

To the dear inquirer:I welcome you with a warm greeting. I was besieged with great joy as I discovered your question while browsing through the ten questions which arrived during the past hour today, and it was the dearest question for me. This fact is not surprising, as how could our hearts not open to a wise man who has discovered the truth and has acknowledged and confirmed it for himself--one who wishes to embrace Islaam and asks about the next steps?

In reality, everything that poses a problem for you is actually an easy matter, and can be solved simply, God willing (in shaa' Allah), so let's take them one by one:

First: all that is required of you to embrace this religion right now as you are reading these lines is to pronounce al-shahaadatain, or the two confirmations and attestations of faith, to the best of your ability. Perfect pronunciation of the Arabic letters is not required, and the following is a transliteration of the phrases with English letters to help you:

ash-hadu an laa ila hah ill Allah (I bear witness and attest that there is no god worthy of worship but the One God Allah)

ash-hadu anna muhammad-ar-rasool ullaah (I bear witness and attest that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah)

After pronouncing them, you should promptly hasten to take a shower to purify yourself and prepare to start performing your regular prayers which will be an obligation as soon as you have declared your belief.

Second: If you have not yet learned the manner and characteristics of performing the prayer (i.e. at least the movements and positions), appended to this message is a description from which you can learn. What is requried from you for the time being is to say in the beginning of the prayer and between each movement between positions "Allahu ak-bar" (a glorification of Allah meaning God is most Great).

While standing, bowing, prostrating, and sitting, you should say "subhan Allah wal-hamdu lil lah wa-laa ila ha ill Allahu wa Allahu akbar." (Glory be to Allaah, and praise and thanks be to Allah, and there is no god but Allaah, and Allaah is the most Exalted and Great.)

Then conclude the prayer by turning your head to the right then left, each time saying "as-salamu alaikum."

This way of performing salat is permissible for you until you can learn and memorize what should be said in each movement and position of the salaat.

Third: You are not required to change your name ( unless it had a bad meaning) and in fact [in this case ] a number of scholars among the forefathers and modern-day Muslims have indicated declared that your name is in fact the name of one of the prophets!

I ask Allaah to aid you and ease your affairs, and to bestow upon you the blessing of Islaam and perseverence in adhering to it. We are ready and willing to assist in explaining or helping to solve any problem or difficulty you may face, and to provide support and aid in any way possible.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Re: Useful Links & Info For New Muslims

All new muslims, please get in touch with these brothers they will send you a welcome pack, with islamic books and all sorts insha Allah

http://www.muslimnow.org/welcome.html
    Last edited by *asiya*; 15-04-12 at 07:06 PM.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Find your local prayer times http://www.islamicfinder.org/

Download Adhan ( call to prayer ) for your computer http://www.islamicfinder.org/athanDownload.php

How to pray and make wudu http://english.islamway.com/sindex.php?section=prayer

More on how to pray and make wudu http://www.muslimnow.org/learn.html
    Last edited by *asiya*; 15-04-12 at 07:06 PM.

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

The Deen show

loads of shows with guest speakers discussing various subjects, and many new muslims guests speaking about their life as a muslim

http://www.thedeenshow.com/

More here on Watch Islam
    http://watchislam.com/

Articles covering some of the basics of Islam http://www.thedeenshow.com/newmuslims.php
    Last edited by *asiya*; 15-04-12 at 07:21 PM.

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Excellent website with live classes to learn more about islam www.chatislam.com

Class Schedule for above site http://www.islamevents.com/index.php
    Last edited by *asiya*; 15-04-12 at 07:05 PM.

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Read Quran online with english translation, and transliteration. Many other language translations available

http://quran.com/1

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.hilali/1:1

( Try to make it a rule that when you learn any of the Quran in arabic, that you learn the meaning in your own language too )

For a more in depth understanding of Quran you can read the Tafsir here

http://www.qtafsir.com/

Brief Introduction to "Quran Tafsir" What it is and Why We Need it

We start with the word "Quran"

The word "Quran" in Arabic means "Recitation" (not written word). Too many people today are telling us what the Quran of Allah is and what it means.

All too often we are hearing from both Muslims and Non-Muslims; 'The Quran says this-or-that and the Quran means so-and-so' without giving reference to their actual source for meaning and understanding.

Many misconceptions, misquotes, misunderstandings and misrepresentations are tossed around in the media, news and public discussions about Islam and what it teaches.

The solution is to go back to the original source in the original language as understood by the people who first heard the Quran from the lips of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, along with his own definitions and explanations.

The good news is the Quran exists today in its entirety, exactly as it at the time of the prophet, peace be upon him.

The prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, heard the words directly from the Angel Gabriel (Jibril in Arabic) and these words were memorized by Muhammad, peace be upon him, and then recited to his companions, who then memorized and passed on these same words to their followers and this has continued to this very day.

The first word Angel Gabriel spoke to Muhammad, peace be upon him, was "Iqra", which comes from the same root for Quran, and it was a command to "Recite!" (Many people, even Muslims today think this word meant 'read', but it is incorrect because the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, was not able to read or write). Immediately we see the importance of going back to the most authentic and original source - the Quran in Arabic - to better understand the meanings.
    The Word TAFSIR is an arabic word تفسير which is derived from the root 'fassara' . Someone who writes tafsir is a 'mufassir.

IBN KATHIR - Famous Mufassir (commentator of Quran) مفسر . Well known and respected for his keen memory and a highly regarded scholar of tafsir (commentary) - Born 1302 AD. Memorized entire Quran, word-for-word along and memorized huge number of sayings and teachings (hadeeth) of the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, along with sayings and commentary about Quran from Muhammad's companions, may Allah be pleased with them. The Tafsir of Ibn Kathir is of the most respected and accepted explanations for the Quran and is the most widely used explanations in Arabic used today. The difficulty of translating Quran to English is quite another problem and not one to be taken lightly nor is it for the average translators to decide what is meant by the words of Almighty God.
    Last edited by *asiya*; 15-04-12 at 07:31 PM.

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Authentic islamic books

U.K Branch http://www.darussalam.com/index.html

U.S branch http://store.dar-us-salam.com/
    Last edited by *asiya*; 15-04-12 at 07:33 PM.

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Understanding the pillars of belief in islam

Belief in Allah;

Belief in the angels;

Belief in the revealed books;

Belief in the commissioned Messengers (peace be upon them).

Belief in the resurrection and the events of Qiyama.

Belief in the predestination by Allah of all things, both the (seemingly) good and the (seemingly) bad.

http://www.java-man.com/Pages/Books/minhajexcerpt.html

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

It is obligatory to obey Allah ta ala and his messenger salAllahu alleyhi wa salam

it is obligatory for the believer to obey the command of Allah ta ala and the command of His Messenger salAllahu aleyhi wa salam , even if that goes against his desires and choices. Allah says

" It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error "

al-Ahzaab 33:36

The Muslim should not look at how small or great the sin is, he should look at the greatness and might of the One Whom he is disobeying, for He is the Most Great, the Most High and He is Mighty in strength and Severe in punishment, and His punishment is severe and painful and humiliating. If He exacts vengeance on those who disobey Him, then utter destruction will be their fate. Allah says

" Such is the Seizure of your Lord when He seizes the (population of) towns while they are doing wrong. Verily, His Seizure is painful (and) severe. Indeed in that (there) is a sure lesson for those who fear the torment of the Hereafter. That is a Day whereon mankind will be gathered together, and that is a Day when all (the dwellers of the heavens and the earth) will be present "

surah Hud 11:102-103

A sin may appear insignificant in the eyes of a person when before Allaah it is serious, as Allah says

" you counted it a little thing, while with Allaah it was very great "
    al-Noor 24:15

“And follow not (O man, i.e., say not, or do not, or witness not) that of which you have no knowledge. Verily, the hearing, and the sight, and the heart of each of those ones will be questioned (by Allaah)" al-Israa’ 17:36

It is sufficient deterrent for the Muslim whose heart is aware to know that if he does a certain action he will be exposed to the punishment of his Lord, because His punishment is severe and painful, and His Fire is hot indeed.

" The Fire of Allaah, kindled, Which leaps up over the hearts " al-Humazah 104:6-7

" The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say ‘We hear and we obey.’ And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise) And whosoever obeys Allah and His Messenger, fears Allah, and keeps his duty (to Him), such are the successful "
    Al-Noor 24:51-52

If the believer heeds the command of Allah and the command of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), then he will be rewarded for any difficulty that he encounters because of that.

The Prophet salallahu alleyhi wa salam said to ‘Aa’ishah: "Your reward will be commensurate with your spending and your effort."
    Sahih Al Bukhari and Muslim

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”

al-Ahzaab 33:36

May Allah guide us to adhere to that which please him Amin.

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hope it's ok to post in here! :d (it may have already been posted - in which case i apologise!):

...here's a link to a site that has some really good posters - free to download & print! i've found them really useful & they're user friendly!

'We have specially created sets of posters on various themes aimed at providing Islamic knowledge and Islamic education, for Muslims, Non-Muslims, young or old and also for Reverts. The posters are excellent for use in Outreach Programs, Exhibitions or Classrooms. These posters have already been distributed across the the U.K and all over the world and are being used by different organisations. These posters can be found in Schools, Mosques, Community / Exhibition Centres, Prisons, Homes etc.

The posters are very simple to read and understand and touch on the main topics in Islam. If you are a member of a School, Masjid (Mosque), Islamic organisation or any Non Islamic organisation in any country and you need an English poster to promote and understand Islam, then we can help you - Inshallaah - '
    من صمت نجا

He who keeps silent saves himself (Tirmidhi, Ahmad).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Reading, reciting, memorizing, understanding and acting upon it is an obligation that each and every Muslims owes the Quran. Though part of the daily lives, school and college curriculum in the Muslim world, many Muslims living across the world in minority areas find themselves at a stark disadvantage in regards to there not being many Islamic centers where they can learn about Quran for themselves or their children. Often the main problem can be the lack of good teachers which are very scarce in non-Muslim countries. Online Quran tutor & teachers provide the best alternative to such people who cannot find the time, or an institute to learn the Quran.
    http://www.quranschool.com/