Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: Do you dress Sunnah?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 16.67%
  • No

6 20.00%
  • Partial

6 20.00%
  • I'm a woman

13 43.33%

Do you dress Sunnah? (For men)

By Sunnah I mean the following for men:
    • Beard at least fist length (if you can grow one)
    • Thowb
    • Turban w/ Kufi underneath
    • Khuffs (leather socks)
    Last edited by Mu'adh; 09-04-12 at 03:07 AM.
    Fighting Jihad is an obligation on us. What is this talking of Jihad only being of the nafs?

Chillin' with my axe

Re: Do you dress Sunnah? (For men)

All of them but not all the time.

Iman Builder - Trainee

There's no Surma there, isn't surma an important sunnah as well..

May Allah, as well as giving us the ability to copy the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam in clothing and appearance, give me and all of us the ability to walk the walk, and talk the talk of the Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam...

Ameen.
    وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
    Al Baqarah : Verse 13

G cloths yarr
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

Muslim

Now that you mention it...Anyone know a site where you can buy turbans/Sunnah headwear that ships to all countries? Would appreciate it alot

Usually when I go to the masjid I will wear the qamees, sometimes a hat with that but it's an afghani type hat. Al hamdulilah the beard is always on, but I don't have leather socks.

That said, I do not dress like that when I go out normally, not usually anyway, unless I happen to be on my way back from the masjid. When I'm in Muslim countries though I do dress that way. It's not that you don't get haters there and you get them here (the US), you get them there too, but in the US it's quite a bit worse and I have to work with those people in university and such.

1.68%er's

Out of all that i'd say just the beard. Sometimes the kufi

My clothing is usually a dress shirt on top and my kurdish pants.

Everything but the leather socks.
    Shaykh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah wrote: "I have forgiven those who have lied about me and treated me unjustly." (al-'Uqud, p. 265)

salaams to all

i dont wear a turban often
    and my mozas/khuffs are lost-somewhere in the Indo-Pak subcontinent
    its difficult to get my size here in South Africa-11-12

but i do have a real beard & i wear a thowb/shalwaar kameez
    (except when at the gym or playing soccer or swimming)

and Allah ta'ala knows best
    jazakallah
    Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
    very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

you brothers crack me up

on one thread, you say there is no such thing as islamic/sunnah dress

now you wanna know who dresses in this non-existent dress

same thing with islamic names. no such thing, but you look for muslims via their islamic names
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

Visitor

arab clothing is sunnah? modest and practical clothing isn't enough?

Quote Originally Posted by lutonguy View Post
    arab clothing is sunnah? modest and practical clothing isn't enough?
    interesting question

in islamic societies, before the european invasion, muslims always had a garment that covered them to their knees, you could not see the space between their legs

this was understood by all as "islamically correct dress"

after 500 years of european influence, muslim men feel no shame in exposing what is between their knees

interestingly enough, neither men nor women are supposed to just "cover the skin" but also cover the shape of their bodies (women more than men)

however, you will find muslim men who justify wearing jeans and a tshirt as "modestly dressed"

lets see if they let their women leave the house in that same "modest dress"

Visitor

avoiding tight-fitting clothing is one thing, but wearing arab styles of clothing that were also worn in pre-islamic times?

Quote Originally Posted by lutonguy View Post
    avoiding tight-fitting clothing is one thing, but wearing arab styles of clothing that were also worn in pre-islamic times?
    yes, there were many things pre-islam that were kept, and many things pre-islam that were forbidden

and when it was all completed, Allah says I have perfected your religion for you

tight-fitting is a relative term, i know women who wear tight clothing and they will tell you "its not THAT tight"

my point was not tight, my point was that you can see between their legs. whether it was china, india, turkey, arabia, africa, it was common that there was clothing between mens legs

today, there is a space, because today THIS IS NORMAL CLOTHING

a bunch of euro-colonialist-slave mentality at work, nothing else

AM is there evidence that wearing pants for men is haram and not in league with the Islamic principles of modesty? I understand one should cover the awrah, and obviously one should not wear tight, but at the same time, it's hard to say pants/shirt as a form of dress is haram due to immodesty without solid evidence.

What you might be able to get on it is "tashabbuh bil kuffar", that is, imitation of kuffar. I can see that being the case.

Also one thing I often wondered. If the Sahabah used to train for war and go to battle, and they knew forms of martial arts, did they do that with the qamees on? I have no idea, but it would be hard to kick with that on and it can be a hindrance in battle because one might trip.

Quote Originally Posted by علي View Post
    AM is there evidence that wearing pants for men is haram and not in league with the Islamic principles of modesty? I understand one should cover the awrah, and obviously one should not wear tight, but at the same time, it's hard to say pants/shirt as a form of dress is haram due to immodesty without solid evidence.

What you might be able to get on it is "tashabbuh bil kuffar", that is, imitation of kuffar. I can see that being the case.

Also one thing I often wondered. If the Sahabah used to train for war and go to battle, and they knew forms of martial arts, did they do that with the qamees on? I have no idea, but it would be hard to kick with that on and it can be a hindrance in battle because one might trip.
    or on a horse?
    And they who disbelieved and denied Our signs - for those there will be a humiliating punishment.
    Im trying so hard to be good

o here we go, akhi, you can wear speedos for all i care, i am saying that the concept of "jeans/slacks/pants" is not from Islam

if you feel that you need an ayat to be revealed that says such, i cannot find one

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMubarak View Post
    o here we go, akhi, you can wear speedos for all i care, i am saying that the concept of "jeans/slacks/pants" is not from Islam

if you feel that you need an ayat to be revealed that says such, i cannot find one
    Alright, but a lot of things are not originally from Islam, like the concept of driving cars, and I hate to give this example because it's the common example those on innovations give to justify their actions.

However my point is, some things may not have been customary back then that are now. Don't get me wrong, I do not have doubts in my mind that it is better and preferred to dress in the traditional dress, and that is my favorite thing to wear and all I wear at home and in Muslim countries/the masjid. I can also see that great men of old would have been too proud to dress in anything else and I can see that being a good thing in them. I also consider how we probably shouldn't be living here in the first place, and I intend to leave soon insha Allah.

But at the same time, Islam is an easy religion, and as it is today, it can be difficult to wear this in all situations in the west. I don't think that this means it is itself inherently immodest and vile to wear, but Allah knows best. With things like food and clothing (mainly for men), even some of the more traditional "hardline" scholars have been relatively lenient.

This is not to say they do not look down on this mode of dress, it's just that they do not say it's forbidden from what I've seen.

Alright, but a lot of things are not originally from Islam, like the concept of driving cars, and I hate to give this example because it's the common example those on innovations give to justify their actions.

However my point is, some things may not have been customary back then that are now. Don't get me wrong, I do not have doubts in my mind that it is better and preferred to dress in the traditional dress, and that is my favorite thing to wear and all I wear at home and in Muslim countries/the masjid. I can also see that great men of old would have been too proud to dress in anything else and I can see that being a good thing in them. I also consider how we probably shouldn't be living here in the first place, and I intend to leave soon insha Allah.

But at the same time, Islam is an easy religion, and as it is today, it can be difficult to wear this in all situations in the west. I don't think that this means it is itself inherently immodest and vile to wear, but Allah knows best. With things like food and clothing (mainly for men), even some of the more traditional "hardline" scholars have been relatively lenient.

This is not to say they do not look down on this mode of dress, it's just that they do not say it's forbidden from what I've seen.
    akhi, i am no scholar, i am not making any fatwa saying that jeans are haram

i am saying they are not islamic dress and that as a muslim, if we wear them, we should not ever think "this is ok" because it is not

if i am wearing jeans in salat, i always feel naked, so i am pretty sure many muslims feel this way (though i am sure many do not)

we all have car insurance, which is clearly haram, we should at least not ever say it is ok, when it clearly not

I don't know what you mean when you say "not okay", if something is not haram, and it is not hated by Allah, it might be okay, depending on how you define okay.

But given I do believe them to be an inferior form of clothing, it follows that naturally one can do better. If that is your point I can't really disagree.

sister

interesting question

in islamic societies, before the european invasion, muslims always had a garment that covered them to their knees, you could not see the space between their legs

this was understood by all as "islamically correct dress"

after 500 years of european influence, muslim men feel no shame in exposing what is between their knees

interestingly enough, neither men nor women are supposed to just "cover the skin" but also cover the shape of their bodies (women more than men)

however, you will find muslim men who justify wearing jeans and a tshirt as "modestly dressed"

lets see if they let their women leave the house in that same "modest dress"
    That's a good point. I have also wondered why men are so much more lax with covering their awrah. It is not seen as acceptable for women to wear pants, why is it for men?

I am not disagreeing with western clothes, I just wonder why it is perceived so differently.

Pants do cover the shape, though. Of course, they have to be loose.

I mean, there are loose pants that sisters wear, too. They cover the shape of the body/legs.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

sister

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Pants do cover the shape, though. Of course, they have to be loose.

I mean, there are loose pants that sisters wear, too. They cover the shape of the body/legs.
    In terms of modesty, do you think it is acceptable for women to wear loose pants outside?

Loose as in enough to cover her shape of the legs, thus meeting the requirement of hijab, then why not?

And, by that I mean, pants specifically designed for women.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

sister

I follow the opinion that a woman needs to wear an over garment, so I suppose I am beginning to answer my own question.

Needs to? You mean, it's an obligation?

sister

For myself that is what I follow. I have heard some say the "jilbab" as commanded in the Quran (defined as a garment covering the whole body which goes over the clothing) can be two pieces, but that is usually thought of as a large khimar that goes form head passed the waist with a skirt underneath so that the khimar covers the top of the skirt (this was from Albani) or a garment that covers from shoulder down and a khimar to cover at least the chest area over it. Whether the garment can be broken up more than that (like skirt + tunic+ scarf) is something I have not heard about, but if you are not wearing clothing underneath it is not an over garment. I can't go into the legal status of all of it but from everything I have read that is the safest thing to follow. Allah alim.

Iman Builder - Trainee

I have to say, to do something is only difficult when the intent is weak. To do something extra-ordinary requires motivation and guts. An example can be a business, for which a person may spend 20 hours a day on, will miss social functions, will dress in work clothing, but will make sure his business is successful.

For the person who wants to dress the Sunnah way, the West is no barrier at all, actually you will find that they are generally very accomodating and do become inquisitive - very good scope for dawah..

Like the final point you make, that's not to say it is haraam though..

IMHO, it depends on how strict he is. There are many practising families out there without a car, and very close to the Sunnah way of life..he would definitely feel naked with jeans on..

A final point about jeans, I have not seen jeans which cover the shape of the backside, but rather these jeans, even if they are loose towards the knees and below, still show the backside. Please note I am not saying modern day Arab Jubbahs conceal the backside, but there are many knee length or past knee length dresses that do conceal the backside. Food for thought. Contemplate, don't argue..
    وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
    Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Odan

RE: Surma

Surma is sunnah to be worn at night for men, it is a medicine for men more than an adornement. Men using it as adornment is a misunderstanding as far as I can gather.

See Shamil Timidhi for further elaboration.

The qamees can bu cut open to allow more free movement. That is why you see many "thobes" with slits down the sides. This is to symbolise the cuts made to the throbe when such a garment would be worn while riding or fighting. I have no source for this other than this is what I was told by a Scholar from Afganistan.

Kicking would play a very small part in the kinds of combat that Sahabah(RA) would have been engadged in. That is to say I'd be very surprised if they ever kicked above waist height.

Weapon work rarely calls for high kicks and kicking high at someone witha bladed weapon is pretty much the stupidiest thing you can think of doing. Regardless of what "self-defence" people tell you "kicking the knife out of the hand" is a surefire way to have you achilles sliced open. I don't have any hadith for this but this is my opinion as a weapon Specilaist and Escrima instructor. It may be bias but I have yet to see anything but a front kick or foot sweeps to be utilised in weapon combat with any kind of success. As for flying kicks for people on horseback and the like, these are all myths and the refutation of these super flying kicks is well documented.

All that aside in battle you'd be wearing armour and not your everyday Qamees. Nabi(SAW) often only wore his Shawl as a top garment or a blanket that wrapped around his(SAW) body. In the Battle of Uhud Nabi(SAW) was wearing two coats of armour. So there really is no comparison between "What you wear everyday and what you wear for war".
    By Him in whose Hand is the Soul of Muhammad, there is not one from the nations of the Jews and the Christians who hears about me and then dies while he has not believed in what I have been sent with except that he will be one of the companions of the Fire”. (Reported by Muslim in kitaabul Imaan)
    www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

yes, there were many things pre-islam that were kept, and many things pre-islam that were forbidden

and when it was all completed, Allah says I have perfected your religion for you

tight-fitting is a relative term, i know women who wear tight clothing and they will tell you "its not THAT tight"

my point was not tight, my point was that you can see between their legs. whether it was china, india, turkey, arabia, africa, it was common that there was clothing between mens legs

today, there is a space, because today THIS IS NORMAL CLOTHING

a bunch of euro-colonialist-slave mentality at work, nothing else
    i also wonder were there ANY islamic societies where the men did not cover their head? or is this also another encroachment/assimilation of western ideology/influence upon this ummah?

i also wonder were there ANY islamic societies where the men did not cover their head? or is this also another encroachment/assimilation of western ideology/influence upon this ummah?
    So covering the head for men is a western euromerican idea??

Covering the head is from Islam. I think that's what AbuM is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Covering the head is from Islam. I think that's what AbuM is saying.
    Ah ok I misunderstood,thnx.

you brothers crack me up

on one thread, you say there is no such thing as islamic/sunnah dress

now you wanna know who dresses in this non-existent dress

same thing with islamic names. no such thing, but you look for muslims via their islamic names
    I don't get this. There are certain clothes that may have been associated with Arabs at one point point but are associated with Muslims now. I have yet to see an Arab christian wearing a khamis or the Islamic Skullcap or turban. That "arab clothing" excuse is a bit of a cop out. That's like saying the Abaya and the hijab are Arabic as opposed to Islamic because their roots are arabic. The same with certain names like Ahmed or Abdullah or Muhammed, These are Islamic names. That's not to say I advocate reverts changing their names but Islamic names or names associated with Muslims exist in the same way clothing associated with Muslims also exists.

Quote Originally Posted by purple89 View Post
    I don't get this. There are certain clothes that may have been associated with Arabs at one point point but are associated with Muslims now. I have yet to see an Arab christian wearing a khamis or the Islamic Skullcap or turban. That "arab clothing" excuse is a bit of a cop out. That's like saying the Abaya and the hijab are Arabic as opposed to Islamic because their roots are arabic. The same with certain names like Ahmed or Abdullah or Muhammed, These are Islamic names. That's not to say I advocate reverts changing their names but Islamic names or names associated with Muslims exist in the same way clothing associated with Muslims also exists.
    of course there is islamic dress and there are islamic names

i dont get this movement to deny what the entire world knows

find a buddhist named, Muhammad
    find a christian named, Muhammad (with meaning, because there are christians in the usa that name their children anything, khadijah, fatima, pharaoh, and so forth)
    during the time of the prophet, there were jews named Abdullah, now can you find one named Abdullah? the name Abdullah is synonymous with the muslims, yet we have scholars who even say there is no such thing as a muslim name, nor muslim dress

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

I thought We could only say something is Haraam, when there is evidence for it in the Quran and Sunnah?
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

Quote Originally Posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    I thought We could only say something is Haraam, when there is evidence for it in the Quran and Sunnah?
    i dont recall using the word, HARAM

I think that kurdish clothing is the most comfortable yet modest clothing for men
    Last edited by kurdish; 24-05-12 at 03:58 AM.