Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

LIVE Arabic Classes with Abu Mus'ab Wednesday 8:30PM GMT (9:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

+ Reply to Thread
    aquestioner..
    Guests

half sister or half brother by mother side

Salam Alaikom brothers and sisters ,

i really need to know the Islamic rule on this,
    as far as i have known if you have a half sister from your father or mother side, their kids (your half sisters or half brothers) are considerd your family !
    but few days back someone told me that according Islam , only the kids from your father side are considerd as your half brothers and half sisters !
    And the kids from your mother side are not considerd to be anything to you ???

so is that true ?

ofiedi
    Guests

Re: half sister or half brother by mother side

Quote Originally Posted by aquestioner.. View Post
    Salam Alaikom brothers and sisters ,

i really need to know the Islamic rule on this,
    as far as i have known if you have a half sister from your father or mother side, their kids (your half sisters or half brothers) are considerd your family !
    but few days back someone told me that according Islam , only the kids from your father side are considerd as your half brothers and half sisters !
    And the kids from your mother side are not considerd to be anything to you ???

so is that true ?
    lol that's the most stupidest claim I've ever heard! Whoever says that knows nothing. They are considered your mahram and your half-bro/sis from either your mom or your dad. There isn't a difference.

your half siblings with whom you have the same mother are your siblings just as the siblings from one father but different mothers are siblings.

If by family you mean who you are ascribed to or which family you belong to then clearly you belong to your father's family, and your siblings with a different family belong to their fathers family. Your lineage is different but your status as siblings is still there.
    Last edited by Medievalist; 05-04-12 at 01:49 PM.

Wa'alaykumus salaam,

No, that is incorrect. Anyone who has been born from either your mother's or father's genes is your half brother/sister; by extension, their children are your family.

It only gets complicated when we consider inheritance laws, but that is beyond me and most Muslims to explain - if this is where your original question arose from, then it's best you get in contact with a scholar.
    Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
    O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Yes they are considered family.
    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

aquestioner....
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    Wa'alaykumus salaam,

No, that is incorrect. Anyone who has been born from either your mother's or father's genes is your half brother/sister; by extension, their children are your family.

It only gets complicated when we consider inheritance laws, but that is beyond me and most Muslims to explain - if this is where your original question arose from, then it's best you get in contact with a scholar.

i want to thank everyone who answered my question !

i dont care about inheritance ! i just want to be sure if they are also considerd our family !
    so we can call them brothers and sisters? we can spend time at their house ? we can go out with them ?
    i have always been told that they are considerd our strangers (if they are by mother side)
    w

aquestioner....
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by ofiedi View Post
    lol that's the most stupidest claim I've ever heard! Whoever says that knows nothing. They are considered your mahram and your half-bro/sis from either your mom or your dad. There isn't a difference.

thank you for the answer ! i have always been told that they are considerd strangers ! and few days back i asked a person in the Mosque and he told me too that they are considerd strangers !

aquestioner....
    Guests

does this count too if they have other relgion ??

oefied
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by aquestioner.... View Post
    WOW. You need to be careful who you are asking!!! They are NOT strangers, they are just like your brother sister. Your MAHRAMS. Whoever is giving you such advice is playing with fire..Is this for marriage? Because if so it is considered INCEST. Subhanallah. Do NOT believe everything you hear from people even though they are in the "mosque!!!"

sub-tropical semi-desert island city state of the two seas

Quote Originally Posted by aquestioner.... View Post
    Family relationships, i.e. who is mahram, non-mahram, does not change if the family members are non-Muslim. Your half sister is your half sister, whether she's on your mum's or your dad's side, and it's forbidden for you to marry her, therefore she's a mahram to you whether she's Muslim or not.

Half brothers and half sisters are NOT strangers. I would avoid that mosque if the imam is giving such unIslamic advice that goes completely against what is written in the Quran. 'Half' brothers and sisters, whether they share the same mother as you or the same father as you, they are still your mahram (kin blood relatives). You are permitted to see them without hijab or spend time alone with them whereas you're not permitted to do that with non mahrams (even if the non mahrams are cousins or in laws [father in laws and mother in laws are the exception to this rule]).

Put it this way, you are permitted to marry non mahrams of the opposite gender and that is why you're considered as 'strangers' to them so have to avoid establishing relationships with non mahrams of the opposite gender. Obviously a half sibling is not a stranger and obviously it is haraam for you to marry a half sibling. There is an ayah in the Quran which defines who are the people considered as mahram or non mahram by stating which relatives are haraam for men to marry (ie sisters, half sisters, paternal aunts, maternal aunts, grandparents and if as a baby you were breastfed by a particular woman then her children and other children she breastfed are also your mahrams). Hold on a sec I'll see if I can find that ayah for you *does a search*... ah alhamdullilah, this explains everything fairly well... and these rules listing who you treat as kin blood relatives (ie brothers, sisters, half siblings, aunts etc) are the same whether those kin relatives are Muslim or not they are still family:

http://nikah.com/marriage/prohibited...e_partners.asp

As others have said, there might be some differences (in half siblings compared to full siblings) in inheritance laws etc but there is no difference in terms of the relationship of treating them as brothers and sisters. One last point (correct me if I'm wrong)... step brothers and sisters are strangers to you- so if your parent's spouse has a child who is no blood relative of yours then that child is not your brother or sister (but is the brother or sister of your half sibling due to sharing a parent).

aquestioner....
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by dhak1yya View Post
    Family relationships, i.e. who is mahram, non-mahram, does not change if the family members are non-Muslim. Your half sister is your half sister, whether she's on your mum's or your dad's side, and it's forbidden for you to marry her, therefore she's a mahram to you whether she's Muslim or not.

Quote Originally Posted by oefied View Post
    WOW. You need to be careful who you are asking!!! They are NOT strangers, they are just like your brother sister. Your MAHRAMS. Whoever is giving you such advice is playing with fire..Is this for marriage? Because if so it is considered INCEST. Subhanallah. Do NOT believe everything you hear from people even though they are in the "mosque!!!"
    thank you for the answers ! this is not about marriage , its only about if we have right to stay in touch with them!
    i am very thankful for your answers !
    i dont know why i have been told the opposite !
    once again thank you

Yes, not only do you have the right to stay in touch with them, it's a major sin to break family ties so you actually have the duty to stay in touch with them, at least at a minimal level (i.e. once in a while contact is fine, so long as you don't break the contact entirely) so yes you must stay in contact with them, and have as much contact as you want, they're your mahram relatives. Also I agree with Neelu about avoiding getting advice from that imam if he's giving dodgy advice, maybe avoid the masjid too if you have a choice.

aquestioner.
    Guests

i am sorry but i have 2 more questions !
    1. do we need the permission of our parents ? what if one of the parents forbids us to speak/keep in touch with our half siblings ? do we have to obey the mother or father?

and
    2.is it true that in islam the man in the house (father/brother) can forbid you to keep in touch with your mother or other family members ?

will i be cursed ? go to hell if i disobey ?

i am sorry for all this questions but i feel really bad and i dont trust anyone else anymore to ask such questions..

Breaking family ties is haram, so a parent, brother or husband can't forbid you to see any of your siblings or other family members.

Regards obeying the leader of the household, there is no obedience in disobedience to Allah. If you cut yourself off from a family member (i.e. break ties) that would be a sin, and you should not obey someone if they're telling you to sin.

If this situation is going on in your family (as opposed to a hypothetical question), inshaAllah you should see an imam or scholar who will speak to your parents about the Islamic stance on this matter, and explain that they are doing wrong, and will also be able to advise you much better about the halal/haram in this situation inshaAllah. A fatwa site might be able to help.

I think if the parent wants to stop you from seeing another family member for a specific very serious reason (eg the family member is a child abuser or scammed the parents out of their money and made them homeless or is a very bad influence to younger siblings and tries to make them drink/take drugs or deal drugs etc) then these might be justifiable reasons to keep your distance from another family member based on the advice of a parent or elder who has more past experience in dealing with and knowing the character of that person. I'm not a scholar so that's just my personal opinion.

On the other hand, if a parent wants you to stop seeing a half sibling because the parent is 'naraaz' (angry/feuding) with that sibling, or that siblings parents then remind the parents that breaking ties with family is a sin and you are not obliged to obey them in this matter- that person's feud is not with you personally. Again bear in mind that if the parent is feuding with a family member then your parent might be afraid that you will be used as a pawn in the feuding game and dragged into their disputes so try to retain some level of maturity and objectivity that your aim is to fulfil your Islamic duty of maintaining family ties and not to take sides in their bickering.