Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

 

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Asalam alkium
    i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with anxiety/panic attacks for muslims. I have a friend who' is severely suffering from this disorder and taking medical prescribed drugs to combat it.The funny thing is that the medication actually makes them worse and does very little in stopping the anxiety.

    i personally believe that as muslims we don't need medication from doctors in order to deal with these problems as we have allah swt the all mighty and powerful.
    i believe that we we have enough faith in our creator than we don't need medication, especially when the medication is poisonous and can ultimately destroy our lives. aim talking about the ALPRAZOLAM drug.


    inshallah someone has advice or knows of any doctors or councillors that can give some help to my friend, as most of the doctors i know of are drug pushers.

    i have searched endless of the internet for information but i can not find anything that deals directly with muslims and anxiety as i can not apply the kufr approach to this problem to a muslim.

    jazzak allahu khayr

  2. #2
    ~ Allahu Akbar ~ dhak1yya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    43,029
    Rep Power
    306

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Yes there's sakoon Islamic counselling services: http://www.sakoon.co.uk/index.html - this is run by practicing Muslims who are trained in mental health counselling. I've had counselling through them for PTSD and it has been very beneficial mashaAllah.

    Mental illness is a real illness, the brain is an organ in the body and can go wrong just like any other, and Muslims are not immune to this any more than any other illness. You may as well be saying "I personally believe that as Muslims we don't need heart surgery from doctors in order to deal with these problems as we have Allah swt the All Mighty All powerful". Muslims, just like any other people on the planet, succum to illnesses of all kind and need appropriate medical treatment for them. Allah sends the cures to these problems through doctors, no doctor has power to do *anything* without Allah giving him or her their ability, knowledge and everything. There's no help in anything except Allah, so it's wrong to say that Muslims don't need doctors, counsellors, medication etc, because we have Allah. Allah gave doctors the knowledge and ability to heal people through those things, alhamdulillah. Of course we must make dua, even when consulting doctors, because only Allah has the power to make the doctor's treatment effective.

    Medication is part of treatment for many mental health conditions. Doctors don't always get medications right, they may prescribe the wrong one and it doesn't have any benefit, or they may prescribe medication when the patient would have been better of without it. That goes for both physical and mental health. For a non mental health example: many doctors overprescribe antibiotics when it's better for the patient and their immune system to just fight the illness without them, and they have side effects (such as killing all the good bacteria in your body, not just the illness causing ones), however they are life savers in some cases, e.g. meningitis, pneumonia. It's the same with psychiatric drugs - highly effective when used properly, but sometimes people get put on the wrong ones, or on them when they shouldn't be.

    If your friend's medication isn't working, he or she needs to go back to their doctor and say so. Anxiety needs to be treated with counselling inshaAllah, medication only relieves the symptoms of anxiety, it doesn't cure the cause. Your friend needs to be asked to be referred to counselling inshaAllah (if he or she hasn't been already). that doesn't mean that all medicines or bad or that they don't help anyone. The right medication really helps in some mental health conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. Don't write it all off because of one bad experience, or one case of someone being on the wrong medication.
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 10-03-12 at 02:48 PM.





  3. #3
    advisor1
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by bismillah 2 View Post
    Asalam alkium
    i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with anxiety/panic attacks for muslims. I have a friend who' is severely suffering from this disorder and taking medical prescribed drugs to combat it.The funny thing is that the medication actually makes them worse and does very little in stopping the anxiety.

    i personally believe that as muslims we don't need medication from doctors in order to deal with these problems as we have allah swt the all mighty and powerful.
    i believe that we we have enough faith in our creator than we don't need medication, especially when the medication is poisonous and can ultimately destroy our lives. aim talking about the ALPRAZOLAM drug.


    inshallah someone has advice or knows of any doctors or councillors that can give some help to my friend, as most of the doctors i know of are drug pushers.

    i have searched endless of the internet for information but i can not find anything that deals directly with muslims and anxiety as i can not apply the kufr approach to this problem to a muslim.

    jazzak allahu khayr
    Yes, these drugs are only to deal with the symptoms and are very dangerous and lead to addiction. The thing that helps 110% guaranteed is increasing your ibadah, doing lots and lots of zikr, reading and listening to quran and basically filling your day with ibadah whenever you can. Now what I mean by this is eat, sleep, go to the washroom and do ibadah. Do NOT even converse for people or watch TV etc. Get rid of haram from your life. Repent repent and repent. Basically do ibadah and this is for ALLAH so please be sincere inshallah.

    Also use ayats from the quran for shifa you can read them, write them on a paper with saffron and drink it, please also do quranic water. These are sometimes caused by shaytan and or jinn when we are weak in our bodies they affect and cause attacks more.

    Dear bro/sis I've suffered from this and this is the only thing that has helped get rid of this illness alhamdulilah. Counselling does not work for the attacks and the disorder. Getting rid of waswasah, panic and fear is what you need. and this is all because of Shaytan. May allah give you shifa ameen.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Girl Unspecified
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Oh jazzak Alllahu khayr thank you so much for all of your replies may Allah swt make your every step to jannat al firdus.
    It has helped me heaps alhumdulilah.
    So you don’t know of any Muslim counselors/ psychologist I can actually go to in Melbourne?
    Also I found this on the net (see below) and that’s how I feel about anti anxiety medication but Allahu alim. And if you do further research on these particular drugs there are so many horrifying stories, ive never come across anything positive 


    Anything that clouds mind is haram in Islam as it's clearly stated in the Qur'an by Allah. Antidepressants are intoxicants albeit they're the lowest quality ones. Mental illnesses are not physical diseases and hence they don't have medical solutions.

    Practices of Islam are meant to protect you against all sorts of mental health problems and to cure them.

    Allah prohibits taking nonMuslims as advisors to Muslims in the Qur'an (except for medical problems) and mental health problems are not medical problems as they can't be diagnosed all according to objective medical diagnostic criteria.

    It's true that in history the ones suffering from mental health problems are treated by Muslim doctors in Islamic states. However you should always bear in mind that they were never giving intoxicants to their patients despite all the seemingly helpful qualities of intoxicants for the people suffering from mental health problems were very well-known even by them.

  5. #5
    Panicky
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Go see Nasihah psychology clinic. They are based in broadmeadows.

    Quote Originally Posted by bismillah 2 View Post
    Oh jazzak Alllahu khayr thank you so much for all of your replies may Allah swt make your every step to jannat al firdus.
    It has helped me heaps alhumdulilah.
    So you don’t know of any Muslim counselors/ psychologist I can actually go to in Melbourne?
    Also I found this on the net (see below) and that’s how I feel about anti anxiety medication but Allahu alim. And if you do further research on these particular drugs there are so many horrifying stories, ive never come across anything positive 


    Anything that clouds mind is haram in Islam as it's clearly stated in the Qur'an by Allah. Antidepressants are intoxicants albeit they're the lowest quality ones. Mental illnesses are not physical diseases and hence they don't have medical solutions.

    Practices of Islam are meant to protect you against all sorts of mental health problems and to cure them.

    Allah prohibits taking nonMuslims as advisors to Muslims in the Qur'an (except for medical problems) and mental health problems are not medical problems as they can't be diagnosed all according to objective medical diagnostic criteria.

    It's true that in history the ones suffering from mental health problems are treated by Muslim doctors in Islamic states. However you should always bear in mind that they were never giving intoxicants to their patients despite all the seemingly helpful qualities of intoxicants for the people suffering from mental health problems were very well-known even by them.

  6. #6
    Anand
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Hello Dear Friend,

    I am suffering from Panic/Anxiety issues from last 9 years. Only thing i will tell you is that dont worry too much about your friend. ALPRAZOLAM works, but it is very slow. It takes around 3-4 months to stabilize. But the story is not yet over. Actually it is a mood stabilizer, so the actual problem is not solved. Only symptons dont appear. I was somehow believing that muslims may not have this attacks, as they are quite strong by mind. It takes lot of time and patience to get the real issue resolved. Counselling with Alprazolam is effective in most cases. so try that out. my career performance is down from many years. Dont expect magic to happen. It is not like other diseases like fever etc. Also families support and love from friends will help the person recover a little quicker. All the best.

  7. #7
    Nam222
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Salam Aleykum borthes and sisters please look at the link bellow

    http://idosi.org/wjihc/wjihc2(1)12/6.pdf

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    qAs-salaamoe 'aleikoem wa rah'matoellahi wa barakatoeh dear Muslim brothers and sisters,

    May I introduce myself very quickly: I am a 21-years old female with a Czech father and a Dutch mother, living in the Netherlands.
    My parents divorced 11 years ago, and since that time I have been living with panick attacks, hyperventilation and anxiety. I have a very low self asteem and always expect the worst to happen. I totally agree that anxiety/panic attacks is a real sickness and not just a disturbance.
    Unfortunately I had to learn to live with this.. Some of you may think that by time it's becoming less, or easier to live with, but I have to disappoint you, this isn't always the case..
    I became afraid of life, I am afraid to die, I am afraid for full places (think about waiting rooms, airports, airplanes, supermarkets, cinema etc), I am afraid for loud noises (music, loud television, much people talking in a room, thunder, car noises etc), I am afraid to travel and be far away from home, I don't feel 'safe' anymore anywhere, I feel I do not have a goal in this life, I am feeling like there is no joy or happiness in this life, I am always worrying when enter the car on a big street, I am always worrying about to enter high buildings, I am afraid to be alone and also I am afraid to be with much people in one room. My body, my life, my mind became like a prison for me. I am living day by day, every morning when I wake up is a new battle for me.. I am so sad because I don't want to live my life like this.. Half of my life I have been living this way and I don't want to allow myself to continue to live like this for the rest of my life.. As a European girl, I am born Christian, but I never felt statisfied with that. Since almost 2 years I changed my believes and became a Muslim (Elhamdü lillahi) and since I started to read much İslamic books I became feeling a little more calm, because I came to understand the beauty of Allah (swt).
    I just started with reading the Qur'an, I am learning the Soeras (for prayer) and I am trying to tell His Name as much as I can in a day. But dear Muslim brothers and sisters, if some of you have any good islamic advice for me about how to overcome this horrible anxiety and panic attacks and most of all my very bad thoughts in my mind, please feel free to contact me. Also if anyone of you has experienced/ or is experiencing the same things with me, I would be happy to hear your stories. I am feeling I am the only one who has those weird things going on.. ( Thanks in advance and thank you for your time to read my message. May we all meet in Paradise one day İn Shaa Allah.

  9. #9
    Unreg_04:07
    Guests
    I have OCD, perhaps other things. I've been looking at Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and think it might be worth researching into. As far as drugs are concerned, I would advise that you let your friend take them. I know personally if/when I stop I find myself digressing back again. Also, someone made a comment about these drugs being addictive. This is not the case. Also, yes it is true very little is known about how our brains work. However, there is a science behind how these drugs work. It's not just a placebo.

  10. 29-04-13, 03:37 AM


  11. #10
    Ex-Sufferer
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Salaam everyone!

    I came accross this thread and felt compelled to reply.

    I used to suffer from severe panic attacks which then turned into depression. My emotional state spiralled out of control to the point I didn't know how to live anymore. I couldn't find peace or happiness in anything. Everyone kept telling me if I am a Muslim, how can I be depressed? Allah alone is sufficient.

    Although that is true, it is also very true that our own Prophet SAW suffered depression - the loss of his beloved wife, his beloved uncle - here is the person who has the closest connection with Allah and even he experienced this when dealing with great losses.

    I got to a point where I started having ridiculous thoughts of wanting to die asap so I could find peace. As a Muslim I would never harm myself, but the fact these thoughts were in my mind were scaring me into finding a solution before I went crazy!

    Firstly, I would not recommend any kind of medication. It may help for the short time, but in the long run when you stop taking them the psychological problem still remains. The only medication I took was herbal, I took Kalms and St Johns Wort which are calming but have no side effects whatsoever.

    Secondly, don't avoid anything for fear of having a panic attack. Live your life as normal as you can, what is the worst panic can do? It makes you feel uncomfortable, fearful, but in reality, it will never harm you. I couldn't do anything, take trains, go out alone, sit in a meeting room etc. I always had to be near an exit and would avoid any situations which would trigger my anxiety. Once I realised it wasn't going to harm me, I pushed myself (as frightened as I was) to just go ahead and let the feelings come. They came, we danced together for a while, and then they disappeared.

    The key to my recovery (I am about 90% recovered now Alhamdulillah) was not stopping the thoughts and feelings. This was the mistake I made before. I tried stopping, thinking of other things...but as we know, the more you force yourself not to think of something, the more you can't help but think about it. Then you freak out over why you're having those thoughts, and the cycle of anxiety begins. Once you let those feeling go and think well, okay....I feel crappy, but if these thoughts want to come, I'll just let them...you will find the power of the thoughts diminish. The thoughts and feelings begin to lose power, and you sort of stop thinking about them so much. It is very important through this process never to stop living life. I felt so awful when I was experiencing this I took time off work to recover. Putting my life on hold made it worse because you need activities to fill your day and keep your mind occupied elsewhere. Once I threw myself into work, excercise, mosque etc...the thoughts slowly disappeared as I had other things occupying my mind.

    Religion also played a big part. It was like, okay...so Allah is testing me, he wants to make me stronger (as once I get through this I will be stronger) and he wants me to get closer to him. When you feel this way, you know only Allah can change those feelings instantly and you begin to recite more, pray more, be more concious of your Lord.

    Lifestyle changes do also need to be made. Routine was good for me, waking up on time, getting enough sleep, eating well etc. The right lifestyle balance also helps balance our moods.

    My advice would be to read all the info on this website (http://anxietynomore.co.uk), and perhaps purchase the book also (http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html) and have a long read. This was my starting point to learning about anxiety from an ex-sufferer who has now fully recovered. The book was seriously a life line for me, and kick started my recovery. Alhamdulillah, Allah showed me how to help myself.

    Anxiety and depression is horrible, and when you feel it you think there is no end in sight. But as an ex-sufferer, these IS a way out of it. You can FULLY recover, and subhanAllah, if you can get through this, you can get through anything. Your outlook on life will change once you're attitude towards things change.

    I also had cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which taught me breathing excercise through the panic attacks, as well as making a plan on how to tackle the scary situations step by step. Every week I had to put myself in a situation which would bring up the anxiety until I became de-sensitized.

    My recommendations:
    1) Have faith in Allah that this is a test to bring you closer to him and to make you stronger
    2) Read all the info on the anxiety-no-more webpage and order the book
    3) Find out about CBT in your local area

    and no matter how scary life seems to be, live it...live alongside the anxiety, don't let it stop you doing anything...it will get bored of you and leave you eventually inshAllah.

    Insh'Allah Allah will help us through all our trials and grant us jannah.

    Salaams,
    N x

  12. 05-06-13, 02:08 AM


  13. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    JazakAllah khair for your message dear brother/sister your message helped me to continue being patience and trust that also this, will pass insha-Allah. When I read about your story, I felt as if I was reading about my own life.. I will follow your advices and just wanted to say a big thank you from my heart for sharing your experience.. You don't know how much it means to me. Take care, best wishes

  14. #12
    Tarteela
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    AssalaamWalaikum,
    Inshallah Allah will make it easy for you. This is something dear to me also. My advice is to stay away from the pills, like you said it will make things worse. they are more or less mass suicide pills that have the flimsiest tests you will get. read the insert of the drug to see the side effects and look up the test cases they refer to and you will know how big pharma works.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2947528/

    I am willing to say that none of these symptoms have anything to do with the brain. and they have no decent research or proof to substantiate their claims. Dr. Russel Blaylock is good he is a neurosurgeon (who would know better than someone like that) and explains it well for people like us.
    But anyway if we go to our creator who knows our body the best. he says these symptoms are caused by the diseased heart. so we must fix our heart and inshallah you will be back on track. This is not easy, it takes care and time and persistance. Some of the advice given here is fantastic, dont look for the quick fix pill, it will make things worse and your friend will either end up like a zombie or do something crazy one day. fix the heart...fix the heart. Almighty is giving her a trial so that they come close to him. Have trust and lots of patience.

    Please do not talk to counsellors, they are mostly born from the sigmund freud teachings. whom was a pretty disgusting human.
    Muslim counsellors may be better but its pot luck with them....you are much better off going directly to a sheikh/mollana. Many people think mollana are not doctors etc...but remember this is a problem of the heart which only they can help. it is not a medical condition. Your friend wasnt in a car accident where she got damage to the brain.
    If you are in melbourne I can find a good one for you. I am in Sydney by the way.
    Also people have advised about the wiswas from Shaytan. so yes,....you need to fight against this. they will play with your mind a lot. do not rule out black magic also. but be careful. make sure the mollana etc who wants to help rid of any magic doesnt get paid. if they ask for money then run the other way.
    Anyway work on the heart first and stop the suicide pills.

  15. #13
    Oops
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarteela View Post
    AssalaamWalaikum,
    Inshallah Allah will make it easy for you. This is something dear to me also. My advice is to stay away from the pills, like you said it will make things worse. they are more or less mass suicide pills that have the flimsiest tests you will get. read the insert of the drug to see the side effects and look up the test cases they refer to and you will know how big pharma works.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2947528/

    I am willing to say that none of these symptoms have anything to do with the brain. and they have no decent research or proof to substantiate their claims. Dr. Russel Blaylock is good he is a neurosurgeon (who would know better than someone like that) and explains it well for people like us.
    But anyway if we go to our creator who knows our body the best. he says these symptoms are caused by the diseased heart. so we must fix our heart and inshallah you will be back on track. This is not easy, it takes care and time and persistance. Some of the advice given here is fantastic, dont look for the quick fix pill, it will make things worse and your friend will either end up like a zombie or do something crazy one day. fix the heart...fix the heart. Almighty is giving her a trial so that they come close to him. Have trust and lots of patience.

    Please do not talk to counsellors, they are mostly born from the sigmund freud teachings. whom was a pretty disgusting human.
    Muslim counsellors may be better but its pot luck with them....you are much better off going directly to a sheikh/mollana. Many people think mollana are not doctors etc...but remember this is a problem of the heart which only they can help. it is not a medical condition. Your friend wasnt in a car accident where she got damage to the brain.
    If you are in melbourne I can find a good one for you. I am in Sydney by the way.
    Also people have advised about the wiswas from Shaytan. so yes,....you need to fight against this. they will play with your mind a lot. do not rule out black magic also. but be careful. make sure the mollana etc who wants to help rid of any magic doesnt get paid. if they ask for money then run the other way.
    Anyway work on the heart first and stop the suicide pills.
    I love how people think every organ can get sick except for the brain. Have some sense. Stop ruining other people's health with your backwards mentality when you have diabetes you don't go to a moulana why would you do that with any other malfunction??

  16. #14
    Tarteela
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by sultania View Post
    I love how people think every organ can get sick except for the brain. Have some sense. Stop ruining other people's health with your backwards mentality when you have diabetes you don't go to a moulana why would you do that with any other malfunction??
    Not a very helpful post. Instead perhaps you can help by providing some proof or studies that say things like Anxiety, panic attacks, stress, sadness is caused by a fault in the brain. If you can convince me of this then so be it..

  17. #15
    Oops
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    ... it only takes a rudimentary search and it's common sense. Have you ever SEEN the brain scans of neurotypical versus neuratypical? Sadness is an emotion, anxiety, depression, ARE A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE IN THE BRAIN. depression for example, is partly a lack of serotonin levels in the brain -the chemical for happiness and motivation.

    that's like prove to me a systematic racism by white communities against people of colour excist... common sense. I don't have to prove common sense to you you can seek the actual proven truth on your own.

  18. #16
    Tarteela
    Guests

    Re: Anxiety/Panic attacks for muslims

    Quote Originally Posted by sultania View Post
    ... it only takes a rudimentary search and it's common sense. Have you ever SEEN the brain scans of neurotypical versus neuratypical? Sadness is an emotion, anxiety, depression, ARE A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE IN THE BRAIN. depression for example, is partly a lack of serotonin levels in the brain -the chemical for happiness and motivation.

    that's like prove to me a systematic racism by white communities against people of colour excist... common sense. I don't have to prove common sense to you you can seek the actual proven truth on your own.
    Yes I fell for this nonsense a long time ago but never made sense to me. after researching it I found it to be full of lies and propaganda.The chemical imbalance idea is so crazy that it actually sounds believable. So then you would be happy to know that they are planning on forcing these pills by mandate on everyone (sick or not) so that everyone stays happe and never gets sad. I guess it makes sense to you. Believing this would mean that peoples sadness can be overturned by increasing serotonin levels? so when mummy dies and I got heaps of serotonin I dont get sad???? or when I sin and regret it I do not get sad or stressed coz i've taken these pills. I think I'm talking common sense whereas you are trying to turn my world upside with big words and science.
    and one more question, if medical science believes that it is a imbalance of serotonin levels then tell me why dont they have a test to see what levels your serotonin are before you get prescribed these pills???? would make common sense would it not?
    Plenty people here have been prescribed these pills....can anyone confirm they did a test to see their serotonin levels??? hmm is it because no such test exists?
    so let me get this straight...these pills increase the re-uptake of serotonin in your brain, but if your levels were normal to begin with than guess what....the pills just unbalanced them.
    Explain this theory to me as if I dont have common sense please.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Super PM System provided by vBSuper_PM (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone
Omar Esa Nasheed Artist
| Omar Esa Nasheeds | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Nasheeds : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Hijabs Online | Hijabs | Hijab Shop | Hijab Shop | AlJazeera Live, MBC Live, Makkah Live : Treasure of The Scholars