Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Odan

Learning Arabic in Arabic or another language?

Asalamu Alaikum,

What do you guys think is more beneficial? When I was studying french I remember the teacher pretty much spoke french 90% of the time to force us to get used to understanding the language. Unfortunately many of the Arabic courses I've seen don't do this. Even my teacher does this. For those who have tried both I'd love to hear your opinion regarding this issue.

I am trying to find a way to understand Arabic in Arabic insha'Allah. Maybe studying Arabic in English is hindering my goals?

Discuss..

JazakAllah Khair

Stoic in every sense AhlulQuran88's Avatar

Re: Learning Arabic in Arabic or another language?

Quote Originally Posted by Excuse_me View Post
    Asalamu Alaikum,

What do you guys think is more beneficial? When I was studying french I remember the teacher pretty much spoke french 90% of the time to force us to get used to understanding the language. Unfortunately many of the Arabic courses I've seen don't do this. Even my teacher does this. For those who have tried both I'd love to hear your opinion regarding this issue.

I am trying to find a way to understand Arabic in Arabic insha'Allah. Maybe studying Arabic in English is hindering my goals?

Discuss..

JazakAllah Khair
    Ive seen students with excellent Arabic who are non-arabs and studied it through a meduim language before immersing themeselves in a total arabic environment.
    Ive also seen students go through Arabic in a Arabic meduim but with mixed results everything depends on how hard you work. But definetly i would advise going on those 1 year courses in those arabic schools in Egypt the students i have seen in Holland that went there to Ibanah (Grammar based)and Fajr (Speaking based) etc mashalah studied on Grammar or speaking on the side as schools are not really that balanced.

Loads of people learn Arabic and often still have horrible pronouciations afterwards, sound very non-arab when they speak. So you want to practise and do what you can whilst your in the west and once you have a chance to study abroad then take your chance.

Here in the Netherlands there are many Arabic courses but many of the teachers due them reciting in Warch and coming froom North Africa have that Quraishi accent when they speak and whilst the way they speak would be accepted by Makkans 1400 years today it sounds wierd whilst in fact their not actually wrong but correct.

Do what you can complete the Madinah Books,bayna yadayk, Arabic Gateway whatever book you can and hit the Grammar once you get a hang of that hit sarf and then try to master the two before attempting balagha as that is something else all together

A study of Prosedy would also be very usefull as many of the books are written in Poetic forms and again this would only strenghting your Arabic. Arabic is seriously important but the problem nowadays is how do we get people to take it seriously.

I think it depends on the persons ability to learn? Some can pick up sentences from hearing someone speak the language without translations, whereas others need to be able to understand what they are saying, instead of just guessing. My dad knows 5 languages, the latest is Arabic, he's pretty much picked it up from his Yemeni friend, half the time he doesn't know the meaning of what he's saying, but he's speaking Arabic and that's ehat matters. But that's because hes quick to pick up languages whereas for someone like me, it seems to take longer. I try to watch lectures n cartoons in Arabic but I end up breaking down most sentences in English using a dictionary which is far too time consuming.

Although I'm a firm believer that we can learn Quran and Arabic in thr west due to the immense resources available, I also think that to really master the language, you should spend time in an Arabic speaking language. The trouble u find here is that you don't get a chance to practise it.

For example, with my mother tongue, I'm still getting the grammar of it wrong, although both my parents speak it and i generally speak it at home. But because I've spent most of my days worded at uni or work, iv never really had a chance to master it. But if i was to spend even a month back home, I'd come back with a stronger grasp of the language.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately, as good as my teacher is ma sha Allah, I still think that ill probably forget half the things he taught me in a years time, because I'm just memorising it and not putting it into practise :/

(Ps- writing from my phone which had auto text n I can't be bothered to proof read it, hopefully it will make sense)
    Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
    Ive seen students with excellent Arabic who are non-arabs and studied it through a meduim language before immersing themeselves in a total arabic environment.
    Ive also seen students go through Arabic in a Arabic meduim but with mixed results everything depends on how hard you work. But definetly i would advise going on those 1 year courses in those arabic schools in Egypt the students i have seen in Holland that went there to Ibanah (Grammar based)and Fajr (Speaking based) etc mashalah studied on Grammar or speaking on the side as schools are not really that balanced.

Loads of people learn Arabic and often still have horrible pronouciations afterwards, sound very non-arab when they speak. So you want to practise and do what you can whilst your in the west and once you have a chance to study abroad then take your chance.

Here in the Netherlands there are many Arabic courses but many of the teachers due them reciting in Warch and coming froom North Africa have that Quraishi accent when they speak and whilst the way they speak would be accepted by Makkans 1400 years today it sounds wierd whilst in fact their not actually wrong but correct.

Do what you can complete the Madinah Books,bayna yadayk, Arabic Gateway whatever book you can and hit the Grammar once you get a hang of that hit sarf and then try to master the two before attempting balagha as that is something else all together

A study of Prosedy would also be very usefull as many of the books are written in Poetic forms and again this would only strenghting your Arabic. Arabic is seriously important but the problem nowadays is how do we get people to take it seriously.
    Alhamdullilah I have started some of those books and have seen some improvement. Unfortunately studying abroad at the moment isn't possible so I am doing with what I have for now.

What is your opinion on changing up teachers? I've had the same one for about 8 months now and Alhamdullilah have benefited a lot from him. I was thinking of trying some of the teachers in Egypt since I've been told many of them teach only in Arabic. Like Sam_87 below, my weakness is the comprehension part. Many of these teachers are former teachers who taught at Al Fajr, Qurtoba, Ibanah, etc..

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_87 View Post

I think it depends on the persons ability to learn? Some can pick up sentences from hearing someone speak the language without translations, whereas others need to be able to understand what they are saying, instead of just guessing. My dad knows 5 languages, the latest is Arabic, he's pretty much picked it up from his Yemeni friend, half the time he doesn't know the meaning of what he's saying, but he's speaking Arabic and that's ehat matters. But that's because hes quick to pick up languages whereas for someone like me, it seems to take longer. I try to watch lectures n cartoons in Arabic but I end up breaking down most sentences in English using a dictionary which is far too time consuming.

Although I'm a firm believer that we can learn Quran and Arabic in thr west due to the immense resources available, I also think that to really master the language, you should spend time in an Arabic speaking language. The trouble u find here is that you don't get a chance to practise it.

For example, with my mother tongue, I'm still getting the grammar of it wrong, although both my parents speak it and i generally speak it at home. But because I've spent most of my days worded at uni or work, iv never really had a chance to master it. But if i was to spend even a month back home, I'd come back with a stronger grasp of the language.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately, as good as my teacher is ma sha Allah, I still think that ill probably forget half the things he taught me in a years time, because I'm just memorising it and not putting it into practise :/

(Ps- writing from my phone which had auto text n I can't be bothered to proof read it, hopefully it will make sense)
    Masha'Allah you're dad is very unique.
    I agree that mastering Arabic in the west is near impossible. I think what students should focus more on in the West is getting down the comprehension and the grammar/sarf part of it. When the teacher speaks only in Arabic to you then your mind starts to adjust to that and you start picking up new words. If you dont understand then you just ask and the teacher can explain it more.

The best way to put it into practice is to teach others. It really helps with retaining all the info you've learned in the past.

Stoic in every sense AhlulQuran88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excuse_me View Post
    Alhamdullilah I have started some of those books and have seen some improvement. Unfortunately studying abroad at the moment isn't possible so I am doing with what I have for now.

What is your opinion on changing up teachers? I've had the same one for about 8 months now and Alhamdullilah have benefited a lot from him. I was thinking of trying some of the teachers in Egypt since I've been told many of them teach only in Arabic. Like Sam_87 below, my weakness is the comprehension part. Many of these teachers are former teachers who taught at Al Fajr, Qurtoba, Ibanah, etc..
    I think you should get the basics down before you change teachers etc, finish off the madinah series or the bayna yadayk series and hit grammar have a Somali shaykh teach it to you they generally teach the poem of al imreeti or the acrual sharh tuhfa saneeya. once you got the matn by heart or the nadm then you might wanna try tryi sarf laamiyitul afaal is what we do in Somalia

To practise, listen to Arabic lectures, translate fataawa, immerse yourself in Arabic on the internet if that makes sense. Have a correct intention and Allaah will make you successful. I know of someone who did this and self-taught himself and now he is fluent in Arabic, allaahumma baarik. To the point he listens to advanced lectures in Arabic with understanding and no dictionary. Allaah blesses whom he chooses to.

Ibn al-Qayyim: He (Allaah) created the seven seas, but He loved a tear from you (out of fear of Him) but your eyes were tearless.

the ideal way to learn any language, Arabic, English, Chinese... to learn it in the same language

so to learn English it's better to use English, and the same for Arabic, but maybe for beginners we can speak in another language to make it simple specially that you don't see the teacher with your eyes and he doesn't see you too, and when you know how to read&write and know the main basics it's better to learn Arabic with Arabic

and when you find a new word try to know its meaning in Arabic too, like what we do with English English dictionary,

My native language is Arabic, and i can see very well who started to learn English in English way they learn it good and fast, but who depend on Arabic to teach English they learn also but not really good and take long time ..

that's my opinion which i think it's the right choice.

Best wishes..
    fe aman Allah

This is an interesting thread! Personally I think that there's nothing wrong with starting off your studies in English, but if you're aiming for fluency in speech and auditory skills then you are definitely going to have to grab yourself a teacher that teaches in Arabic. I'm speaking from my own experience here - I have been learning Arabic for a couple of years now (via English) and I have reached a certain level of proficiency in terms of speaking and listening alhamdulillah, but I know that if I'd gotten a teacher who spoke nothing but Arabic it would have been alot better, and I really regret that.

I see that this thread is a bit old now, have you switched teachers or are you still deciding? If you haven't switched, have you tried asking your current teacher to speak nothing but Arabic? Saves you the hassle of changing.
    Last edited by Hiking; 05-03-12 at 11:21 PM.
    It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
    -Muslim

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking View Post

This is an interesting thread! Personally I think that there's nothing wrong with starting off your studies in English, but if you're aiming for fluency in speech and auditory skills then you are definitely going to have to grab yourself a teacher that teaches in Arabic. I'm speaking from my own experience here - I have been learning Arabic for a couple of years now (via English) and I have reached a certain level of proficiency in terms of speaking and listening alhamdulillah, but I know that if I'd gotten a teacher who spoke nothing but Arabic it would have been alot better, and I really regret that.

I see that this thread is a bit old now, have you switched teachers or are you still deciding? If you haven't switched, have you tried asking your current teacher to speak nothing but Arabic? Saves you the hassle of changing.
    I've actually stopped my current classes due to very hectic schedule so our schedules didn't quite work well in the end. I am currently just finishing up the rest of the book by finishing the videos online insha'Allah. A few friends in Egypt are looking for some teachers that are willing to hold classes on skype insha'Allah and the schedule might be more accommodating as well.

I felt like this method is the way all languages should be taught and this is how the method that many of the universities teach spanish, french, german, etc..

It's a bonus if you can learn to speak at the same time, but it's not essential for Arabic (in the case of those learning solely to understand the Qur'an), so it's up to the student to choose their teacher wisely. If you're looking for a flexible teacher, try Abu Ahmed adh-Dhibyani on WizIQ. He teaches free public classes on al-Arabiyyah bayna yadayk as well as being available for private hire. His teaching style is very easy, and it's all in Arabic (except for when you don't understand).
    Last edited by Hiking; 06-03-12 at 09:59 PM.
    It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
    -Muslim

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking View Post
    It's a bonus if you can learn to speak at the same time, but it's not essential for Arabic (in the case of those learning solely to understand the Qur'an), so it's up to the student to choose their teacher wisely. If you're looking for a flexible teacher, try Abu Ahmed adh-Dhibyani on WizIQ. He teaches free public classes on al-Arabiyyah bayna yadayk as well as being available for private hire. His teaching style is very easy, and it's all in Arabic (except for when you don't understand).
    JazakAllah Khair

He seems to be almost done with book 1. Did you attend any of his classes or did you listen to the recordings?

BarakAllahu feek. I listened to a couple of his recordings and attended a couple of his free classes. I have no idea what his one-on-one sessions are like though, sorry.
    -Muslim