Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: Are Somalis Arabs

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 11.11%
  • No

24 88.89%
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Are somalians decendants of Arabs?

Asalamu alykum brothers and sisters,
    Someone told me that Somalians are decendant from arab blood ..well obviosly any non-arab muslim would look at this as a great honor to say that "I coem from the bloodline of the country of my prohet Mohamed(saw)...maybe even more honor than those of Suadi Arabia. So i wanted to ask all of you if this cuold be true?

pictures of somalis
    http://www.ololfilm.com/images/somali_voices.gif
    http://www.stjoan.com/er6/immigration/somali.jpg
    http://www.actaonline.org/Images/200...nbur_teens.jpg

My tribe is called Daroot in arabic Benu Dawud
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darod

Re: Are somalians decendants of Arabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma Dreamer View Post
    LTL, but Somalis in terms of culture and many things are very very different from Ethiopians. For example, while Ethiopians used to write for a very long period Somalis are traditionally oral people who never used to write and only started to write a few years ago. Also, we know that this Ethiopians were Christians for a very long time (remember Najashi) while Somalis are all Muslims. While in terms of looks, they look similar, in many other fields like religion, culture, the writing of the language, Somalis and Ethiopians are very very different. It is quite puzzling.

Sure there are differences. Not all Ethiopians but the Amharas had an old civilization, the axumite civilization and also their own written language that has Semitic roots. Their semitic roots are very old over 2000 years before they even converted to Christianity. We say Semitic because it was from South-Arabia but since nobody knows who were the South-Arabians of the time, itis better to leave it Semitic.

Somalis havent left any vestiges like that old northern Ethiopian culture because for one we were nomads and also, Somalis in the way they are today are probably a recent people. THere is nothing in the books and no historian has ever heard of Somalis before the 16-17th century.

But the deep ancestry is very close. Also, when I say Ethiopians here I am talking about most Ethiopians and not just the Amharas. The Oromos are close to Somalis et even their language is but the reason why they look different is they got mixed with more Bantus. This makes it more complicated but Somalis have Ethiopian stuff too like in my family we have Ethiopians crossing many times the genealogic tree.

Islam came much later and for the Somalis that was probably the time of contact with Arabs. We probably refused Christiniaty cause it didnt make sense to the nomads with their simple life to have God divided in 3 separate entities

It's nice to see so many other Somali's I've rarely had any contact with my people throughout my life, and whenever I have - it hasn't always been a good memory
    If you read this closely enough you might spot the secret message hidden in it

Mr President, You Are Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    It's nice to see so many other Somali's I've rarely had any contact with my people throughout my life, and whenever I have - it hasn't always been a good memory

Where are you from Kal and where did you grow up because today everywhere I go I bump into some Somali having "chai tea" (somali way) at coffee shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovetolaugh View Post
    Where are you from Kal and where did you grow up because today everywhere I go I bump into some Somali having "chai tea" (somali way) at coffee shops.
    Well, I was born in Baidoa and grew up here in London ever since I was a very small child. You're probably wondering how someone living in the capital would find it hard to come across Somali's? Well the neighbours I grew up never did have any, the only Somali's I knew were family and maybe one or two boys in school.

There is a town in London, called Streatham - its basically Somali city but I don't 'connect' well with those of my age there, we have completely different interests and persona's. I took these pics once, second pic - the guy didn't like his photograph taken lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0026.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	26375  
    Last edited by Kal-El; 29-07-08 at 05:02 AM.

ANTI IRJAA

Akhee its best to take off the first picture, for it has a female exposed.
    Abu Hamzah Anas bin Malik, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:
    "None of you truly believes (in Allah and in His religion) until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"

ANTI IRJAA

jazakAllaahu khayran
    Abu Hamzah Anas bin Malik, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:
    "None of you truly believes (in Allah and in His religion) until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"

"Are somalians decendants of Arabs?"

What the hell are "Somalians"? You wouldn't call people who come from Iraq, Iraqians would you now?

okay sorry...its sorta stuck on me and by the way im Ogaden from southern somalia...you know muqdishu to nairobi..i got famly....trust me iv been to somalia recently and i can tell you stuff is not cool...they got problems there that will give you a headache...i was up a whole week trying to figure out what the main problem is and most of it is one thing!! TRIBES....we steal rob kill for our tribes ...just dont get it...if any of you guys do please tell me.

Odan

Sure there are differences. Not all Ethiopians but the Amharas had an old civilization, the axumite civilization and also their own written language that has Semitic roots. Their semitic roots are very old over 2000 years before they even converted to Christianity. We say Semitic because it was from South-Arabia but since nobody knows who were the South-Arabians of the time, itis better to leave it Semitic.

Somalis havent left any vestiges like that old northern Ethiopian culture because for one we were nomads and also, Somalis in the way they are today are probably a recent people. THere is nothing in the books and no historian has ever heard of Somalis before the 16-17th century.

But the deep ancestry is very close. Also, when I say Ethiopians here I am talking about most Ethiopians and not just the Amharas. The Oromos are close to Somalis et even their language is but the reason why they look different is they got mixed with more Bantus. This makes it more complicated but Somalis have Ethiopian stuff too like in my family we have Ethiopians crossing many times the genealogic tree.

Islam came much later and for the Somalis that was probably the time of contact with Arabs. We probably refused Christiniaty cause it didnt make sense to the nomads with their simple life to have God divided in 3 separate entities
    Thanks for that bro. But if Somalis are probably recent people, then how come we share that very old ancestry of over 2000 years with the Amharas. While I agree that the Oromos are very close to Somalis, the Amharas are really a whole lot different in almost every way except the looks. This makes you wonder sometimes how there can be a shared ancestry with the Amharas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed.F View Post

What the hell are "Somalians"? You wouldn't call people who come from Iraq, Iraqians would you now?
    hehe...totally off topic..but when i was at school....was asked by a friend if i was 'yemenese' lool.

.dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed.F View Post

Both are right, Somali or Somalian.

Actually, I read a study that supposedly the Pharaohs came from that area.
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."

Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:.

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    Actually, I read a study that supposedly the Pharaohs came from that area.
    Yeah. I even heard some people say Somali are from Pharoahs.

If that were true, wow. From becoming one of the great civilisations, to what we have in Somalia now. Epic failure

ANTI IRJAA

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma Dreamer View Post
    Yeah. I even heard some people say Somali are from Pharoahs.

lol yes I have heard this too, but there is little to support that claim.

ANTI IRJAA

If that were true, wow. From becoming one of the great civilisations, to what we have in Somalia now. Epic failure

I once happend to watch a news program in which they were discussing the Somali people and their success in settling in countries of their choices. In the program they spoke to a professor of South Africa, and he was carrying out a study in his university trying to find out a scientific or psychological explanation for this.

One of his hypothesis was that because of our bedouin lifestyle and background, we have this ability of quickly adopting to new environment and making best of it.

A bedouin moves around in his life, seeking better land for his herd to graze.

The question remains though, why somalis and not other bedouin nations?

Allaahu A'lam.

omg... pharoah...say it isnt so...lol but on another note...iv come to the conclusion that it dosent matter..because i know in my heart my muslim brothers wud come to our rescue from oppression of the west.... but i have yet to see there influence.

.dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

Well, I was born in Baidoa and grew up
    I feel ashamad of my Somali knowledge...I've never even heard of that city. I had to look it up at wikipedia.

You know what is funny though, I remember a few years back someone was talking about canjeero and sabaayad and asked me if I wanted any. I told them I had no since I don't know what they were, then they told me are you Somali? Don't you know what these are? I did, but I call canjeero, laxoox and sabaayad, kimis.

The different words confused me so much.
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."

Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:.

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

ANTI IRJAA

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    I feel ashamad of my Somali knowledge...I've never even heard of that city. I had to look it up at wikipedia.

You know what is funny though, I remember a few years back someone was talking about canjeero and sabaayad and asked me if I wanted any. I told them I had no since I don't know what they were, then they told me are you Somali? Don't you know what these are? I did, but I call canjeero, laxoox and sabaayad, kimis.

The different words confused me so much.

lol classic. Na3m this is what reer waqooyi use.

For me caanjerro is an Ethiopian word and when I use it I mean the real caanjerro that's an ethiopian meal. I use both loxoox and heard about kimis but rarely use it (must be laxoox not loxoox lol!). Sabayaad is Sabayaad or khubus. How do you say egg? I say baid or naallo.

How do you say:

door, bathroom, room and kitchen etc?

The Southern word I love the most: soo wa3ayaa=meaning will call you. Nice and short than all the others.

I have to pay close attention to undertand the cool accents from the South and sometimes find the Northern people hard to understand but that's just because my vocabulary is poorer.

I dont think there is anything wrong with saying Somalian. I learned when growing up that Somalians were people from Somalia and Somalis for every person with Somali origins (you know that you can find Somalis all the way to South-E Africa from Ethiopia to Tanzania).

Enigma, I am sure Somalis share some ancestry with the Amharras as well. Also, we aren't even sure 100% of all the talks on genealogy and ancestry. The horn of Africa with Ethiopia and Somalia being the big parts is the place of origin of Eb31 DNA. I am going to be very simplistic and somehow inaccurate but here is how I see it:

Somalis have more Eb13 which probably gives the most typical look of Somalis.

Somalis may look closer to Amharas people than to the Oromos when comes to looks because both Somalis and Amharras have some Semitic blood that Oromos dont or have much less. The last time I took Ethiopian Airlines, the Somalis women I talked to at the airport startled saying "oh thought you were Habashiad" and the Ethiopian flight attedant spoke to me in Amharic...too bad usually Somalis use the word habashi for all Ethiopians and we dont know if the Ethiopians in our tribes were Amharas or Oromo etc When I tell them no I am Ethiopian, they usually say but you have the Ethiopian color and I think well you just havent met enough Somalis my friends.

Some differences between Amharas and Somalis: Amharas probably have more Bantu blood as well. Look at different Ethiopians and you can see you have different types of Amharas: some of them are the typical Arab with Black blood like you can find in Sudan or in the Middle-East. Then you hve the ones that look more "Caucasian" those are probably more a mix of Arabic J with Ku****ic Eb31 just like some Somalis must be.

I dont know about the pharaons but guess there is maybe some connection between all old people from that part of the World meaning Nord-East Africa.

By Somalis are not an old people, I didnt mean we dont have connections with old civilizations and culture. Everyone has a deep ancestry coming from somewhere. I just meant that current Somalis of today are a mixed bunch of people far from being monolithic. They are linked to all other Cu****ic populations but they intermarried between themselves erasing differences of look between different tribes but the old Somalis/Cu****ic we are from are not the current ones. They also probably are not on the same lands where they are really from. Some historians defend the thesis that Somalis have conquered the lands of Oromos and pushed them back toward Ethiopia in the West and toward Kenya in the South.

I also read that at the time of Mohammad Garan/Gure, there was a bataillon of Somalis and a bataillon of people called Harti. Now today, I believe Harti are people who are Somalis. Also, there are other tribes that we call the "ones who were there before us" (dadkii dhulka loogu yimid). Now, the Arabs say Mohammad Gure was Arabs and the Somalis say he was Somali. I say he was probably both!

well let me tell u this i think that somalians are africans if they were arabs it would be in asia but allah but it in africa so i think that we shouldnt question that somalia is in africa and all somalians are black soo
    i dont know if u mean anything else but thats all i gotta say

Are Somalis Arab???

Someone lock this thread ...
    Last edited by -Tawheed-; 31-07-13 at 11:16 AM.
    "Your votes may change the government but they won't change the system"

~ He who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right

Re: Are Somalis Arab???

Somalia is its own ethnicity and nationality in its own right
    Just because it is a muslim country people like to label them arabs

Nope not arabs there africans.

they are Semites, related to arabs.
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History

Stoic in every sense AhlulQuran88's Avatar

Depends on your definition of arab, if having a male arab ancestor makes you arab (which it does islamically) then some Somali tribes are Arab.

It depends entirely on your definition of arab

Quote Originally Posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
    Depends on your definition of arab, if having a male arab ancestor makes you arab (which it does islamically) then some Somali tribes are Arab.

This.

Do not think of minor sins as insignificant, for mountains are made out of pebbles.

Some tribes have Arab lineages but the "normal' Somali looking people r African. It's not only Somalis who do not associate themselves with the rest of Africa, Eritreans do this as well. I think the issue stems from the difference in our features, just as a Chinese looks different from an Indian but are both called Asian.
    Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam

I asked Shaykh Google and got this:

"

A member of a Semitic people inhabiting much of the Middle East and North Africa.

"

So Somali ppl are arab

Raaa tawk about identity crisis, i managed to find myself last year so i ain't getting involved in this

You are what you think, feel and believe you are. You set yourself standards, you set yourself values and YOU identify yourself!
    إِنَّ هَذِهِ أُمَّتُكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً

Quote Originally Posted by F_R View Post
    Raaa tawk about identity crisis, i managed to find myself last year so i ain't getting involved in this

You are what you think, feel and believe you are. You set yourself standards, you set yourself values and YOU identify yourself!
    So if I'm white and believe that I am black... I am black?
    "Your votes may change the government but they won't change the system"

~ He who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_87 View Post
    Some tribes have Arab lineages but the "normal' Somali looking people r African. It's not only Somalis who do not associate themselves with the rest of Africa, Eritreans do this as well. I think the issue stems from the difference in our features, just as a Chinese looks different from an Indian but are both called Asian.
    But its different than that cuz chinese and indian are on the same continent. Africa is its own continent and Arabia is by itself this is why we are middle eastern and anyone from Africa is african.

Actually, anyone who speaks arabic is considered arab. So if you're somalian and you speak arabic, your arab.

Quote Originally Posted by Abboudy View Post
    Actually, anyone who speaks arabic is considered arab. So if you're somalian and you speak arabic, your arab.
    What who made that up?

Quote Originally Posted by *Aisha View Post
    But its different than that cuz chinese and indian are on the same continent. Africa is its own continent and Arabia is by itself this is why we are middle eastern and anyone from Africa is african.
    why don't you like the idea of Somali people being arab?

Which tribes are they?

Somalia are part of the "Arab League" so I always assumed they was classified as Arabs same with Morroccons and Algerians and Libyans

I've always thought Somalis were a mix of black and Arab.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Stoic in every sense AhlulQuran88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strive View Post
    Which tribes are they?
    The big 4 major tribes Hawiye/daarood/dir/isaaq and i am sure the may may speaking ones are also considered arab.
    Somalia is only across the sea from the middle east so it shouldn't come to no suprise, somalia even had an entire sultanate ruled by Hashemites from makkah as governers and many of them married local woman.

I believe Eriteria and Djibouti are the same.

it comes down to history
    Last edited by AhlulQuran88; 30-01-12 at 09:22 PM.

The big 4 major tribes Hawiye/daarood/dir/isaaq and i am sure the may may speaking ones are also considered arab.
    Somalia is only across the sea from the middle east so it shouldn't come to no suprise, somalia even had an entire sultanate ruled by Hashemites from makkah as governers and many of them married local woman.

I believe Eriteria and Djibouti are the same.

it comes down to history
    Interesting, never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by *Aisha View Post
    Morocco lybia, tunisia, egypt and algeria are all in africa yet they're arabs