Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

LIVE Hadeeth and Arabic Classes with Abu Mus'ab every Wednesday from 8:00PM GMT (9:00pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: Are Somalis Arabs

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 11.11%
  • No

24 88.89%
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Are somalians decendants of Arabs?

Asalamu alykum brothers and sisters,
    Someone told me that Somalians are decendant from arab blood ..well obviosly any non-arab muslim would look at this as a great honor to say that "I coem from the bloodline of the country of my prohet Mohamed(saw)...maybe even more honor than those of Suadi Arabia. So i wanted to ask all of you if this cuold be true?

pictures of somalis
    http://www.ololfilm.com/images/somali_voices.gif
    http://www.stjoan.com/er6/immigration/somali.jpg
    http://www.actaonline.org/Images/200...nbur_teens.jpg

My tribe is called Daroot in arabic Benu Dawud
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darod

ANTI IRJAA

Re: Are somalians decendants of Arabs?

It is a well known fact that the two tribes of Ishaaq and Darood are descendants of Arab businessmen, there is ikhtilaaf on where exactly from, the two widely accepted opinions are Hijaz and Al Yaman.

I dont know much about Darood, but for example Tribe Ishaaq (Issaaq) is descendant of Sheikh Ishaaq (Issaaq) who married two women. One was ethnic Habash and the other Ethnic Somali and this further divides into Clans. There are three opinions where Sheikh Ishaaq is exactly from, some say the blessed land of Hijaaz, others state he is from across the Gulf of Aden in Yaman and some suggest he is from Iraq. Allaahu A'lam.
    Abu Hamzah Anas bin Malik, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:
    "None of you truly believes (in Allah and in His religion) until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by cynerain View Post
    ..well obviosly any non-arab muslim would look at this as a great honor to say that "I coem from the bloodline of the country of my prohet Mohamed(saw)...maybe even more honor than those of Suadi Arabia. So i wanted to ask all of you if this cuold be true?
    Why would a non-arab muslim look on it as a great honour to find he is of "arab blood" (whatever that means)?

That would amount to an issue of pride and nafs. Why consider something a great honour when it will bring no help for you on the day of judgement?
    Last edited by Humanoid; 26-07-08 at 05:15 PM. Reason: clarity

.dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

There are some who claim that Darod is a decendent of the Prophet (SAW). Allahu Alam though, I'm from that tribe too, but you shouldn't feel pride that we come from that bloodline. Instead, be glad that you are in a religion where we are all brothers and sisters to the Prophet (SAW) and the great Muslims before and after him.
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."
    Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:.
    NEW CHALLENGE: An Ayah a Day keeps shaitan at Bay! - Read, Reflect and Share

“And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allaah. Then, when harm touches you, unto Him you cry aloud for help”
    Surah al-Nahl
    [16:53]

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Account Disabled

"I coem from the bloodline of the country of my prohet Mohamed(saw)...maybe even more honor than those of Suadi Arabia. So i wanted to ask all of you if this cuold be true?
    ]
    err..your forgetting something... we're all descendants of Adam A.S including the Prophet saw?

anyway i know alot of 'arabs' (from africa) who look down on those who are not part of the 'great honour' this causes so much fitnah amongst muslims.. i swear you cant sit in a gathering without noticing one muslim glaring at the other over petty tribal/blood issues. lets get over the 'im better than you' mindset...cause thats what it will lead to.
    Last edited by al.khansaa; 26-07-08 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    There are some who claim that Darod is a decendent of the Prophet (SAW). Allahu Alam though, I'm from that tribe too, but you shouldn't feel pride that we come from that bloodline. Instead, be glad that you are in a religion where we are all brothers and sisters to the Prophet (SAW) and the great Muslims before and after him.

Pippin, you're Somali?

I wouldn't like to guess exactly where some Somali's originate from in the world but Africans in general look different, especially the East/West coast divide. The Eastern Africans are more likely to have certain Caucasian features in comparison to West Africans. If we can recognise that one group of Africans most likely have non-African descendants, then doesn't that put a question mark over about the origins and gene pool of other nations?
    Last edited by Kal-El; 26-07-08 at 07:37 PM.
    If you read this closely enough you might spot the secret message hidden in it

Mr President, You Are Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post

Pippin, you're Somali?
    yep
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."
    Surah Yusuf

“And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allaah. Then, when harm touches you, unto Him you cry aloud for help”
    Surah al-Nahl

yep
    Oh, snap. That's awesome

I've heard that roughly 3% of Somalis are genetically Arab, whilst the rest (excluding Barwanis, Bantus, etc.) are Cushetic. Most Somalis are E3b1 haplogroup, whilst most Arabs--forgive me, if I'm mistaken--are haplogroup J. I'm Darood, and I don't believe I have any Arab genes in me, whatsoever.

Dies for Islam

It wont increase your chances to Heaven...
    But it is great some people want to be Arabs so badly

Quote Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
    It wont increase your chances to Heaven...
    But it is great some people want to be Arabs so badly
    We're all related one way or another

Oh, snap. That's awesome
    I'm glad you feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by taciturn View Post
    I've heard that roughly 3% of Somalis are genetically Arab, whilst the rest (excluding Barwanis, Bantus, etc.) are Cushetic. Most Somalis are E3b1 haplogroup, whilst most Arabs--forgive me, if I'm mistaken--are haplogroup J. I'm Darood, and I don't believe I have any Arab genes in me, whatsoever.
    This just confused me. If you are from Darood, then you have Arab blood since he's Arab. It isn't a lot of Arab blood, since I don't think any of us can claim we are from Darood originally. We all have our sub tribes, and sub tribes from them. So we have Arab blood, just an incredibly small amount....unless your parents/grandparents were Arabs.
    Surah Yusuf

Surah al-Nahl

Dies for Islam

We're all related one way or another
    Yeah that is true

Pippin, I've always believed that Somalis are Cushetic rather than Arab/Cushetic 'hybrids' of sorts; the only ones that differ genetically are Barwanis (Portuguese blood) and Somali Bantus (migrated from Tanzania, Malawi, etc.). But then again, we're all one people.

These children are all half-Somali. First one, one of his parents are Canadian. The second one, half-Swedish and the third one half Dutch. It seems like whenever, or the majority of the time, a Somali has a child with a Caucasian race, their child looks predominantly Caucasian or actually resemble their non-Somali parent more so. Whereas in other cases, when an African Caribbean has a child with a White person, you can tell the child is mixed-race - you cant with these kids
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	who3dg.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	26343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geuss12dy.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	26344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ahmed6oy.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	26345  

This just confused me. If you are from Darood, then you have Arab blood since he's Arab. It isn't a lot of Arab blood, since I don't think any of us can claim we are from Darood originally. We all have our sub tribes, and sub tribes from them. So we have Arab blood, just an incredibly small amount....unless your parents/grandparents were Arabs.
    Like I've said, it's what I've heard. Daroods claim to be descendents of Abdirahman bin Isma'il al-Jabarti, and even if that's true, the Arab blood running in my veins would be extremely, extremely, diluted.

These children are all half-Somali. First one, one of his parents are Canadian. The second one, half-Swedish and the third one half Dutch. It seems like whenever, or the majority of the time, a Somali has a child with a Caucasian race, their child looks predominantly Caucasian or actually resemble their non-Somali parent more so. Whereas in other cases, when an African Caribbean has a child with a White person, you can tell the child is mixed-race - you cant with these kids
    It's the same with Ethiopians:
    (Ethiopian/Finnish)

It's the same with Eritreans:
    (Eritrean/Swedish)
    Last edited by taciturn; 26-07-08 at 08:26 PM.

That goes along with what I said earlier by the East/West divide

That goes along with what I said earlier by the East/West divide

Brother, can you define the geographical areas of 'East Coast Africa' versus 'West Coast Africa' in relation to your hypothesis? For example, when you refer to 'East Africa', is it only limited to the general region of the horn of Africa, or does extend all the way to the South to South Africa? And the same for 'West Africa'.

Also, I think we should remember that there is nothing wrong with being Arab, nor is there anything wrong with being a non-Arab. All that matters is that we are sincere Muslims who strive their best to please Rabbil 'Alameen (). May Allaah () remove from our hearts any racist feelings and tendencies. Ameen.
    O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islām (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islāmic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitān (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy (Al-Baqarah 2:208)

Primary the horn of Africa, in regards to the 'East'. Incidentally, its the closest shore to the European mainland as opposed to West Africa's shoreline in which the Americas were not known of

Quote Originally Posted by Amatullaah View Post

Also, I think we should remember that there is nothing wrong with being Arab, nor is there anything wrong with being a non-Arab. All that matters is that we are sincere Muslims who strive their best to please Rabbil 'Alameen (). May Allaah () remove from our hearts any racist feelings and tendencies. Ameen.
    Ameen

Lightbulb Re: Are somalians decendants of Arabs?

Well said, my mom is also a “Darod”. When she used to live in Saudi, almost every arab used to ask her is she was a “Darod” When she says “yes” they would love her *roll eyes*

But on the other hand De profhet saw used to love the people of the” Hawazin” the tribe of his nurse mother when he saw them he would treat them very good, He(saw) also wouldn’t never hold them prison. Out of the love and respect of his nurse mother “Halima“.

Walahu Aclam
    Last edited by JDR; 26-07-08 at 09:11 PM.
    They want to extinguish Allah's Light with their mouths, but Allah will not allow except that His Light should be perfected even though the disbelievers hate (it).)- It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, to make it superior over all religions even though the idolators hate (it).) Surah Al-Tawbah 32-33

Aameen
    They want to extinguish Allah's Light with their mouths, but Allah will not allow except that His Light should be perfected even though the disbelievers hate (it).)- It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, to make it superior over all religions even though the idolators hate (it).) Surah Al-Tawbah 32-33

Primary the horn of Africa, in regards to the 'East'. Incidentally, its the closest shore to the European mainland as opposed to West Africa's shoreline in which the Americas were not known of

I'm sorry brother, could you, uh, explain that again?
    O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islām (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islāmic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitān (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy (Al-Baqarah 2:208)

Account Disabled

Asalamu alykum brothers and sisters,
    Someone told me that Somalians are decendant from arab blood ..well obviosly any non-arab muslim would look at this as a great honor to say that "I coem from the bloodline of the country of my prohet Mohamed(saw)...maybe even more honor than those of Suadi Arabia. So i wanted to ask all of you if this cuold be true?
    [/url]
    Oh this is what gets on my nerves, ive had people in mosque treat me and first glance like I did know Islam or like I just converted or I was a non Muslim trying to learn islam simply because my skin colour is much lighter then theres.

So should they be honoured for being from the bloodline of our noble prophets who had the purest of bloodlines because it was the line of prophets and in terms of they kept well away from the forbidden? Or should they be proud that they are from an ordinary Arab who has not much significance other then being a human of flesh and blood? because I can tell you I am very honoured in being insallah an ordinary Muslim and human before my genetic origins.

There is a big difference between the our blessed Sahabas, our beloved Prophet s.a.w and the Arabs of today or any one in particular today.

The difference between some people and what you have just said is that people do not tend to look at the race of a Sahaba or a Prophet, these have no significance and do not matter as these people themselves came to and from different tribes and people.

My two all time favourite Sahabas are Abu Bakir r.a And Bilal r.a, these two blessed people stood out to me the most, I did not and never have seen them as an Arab or as Black. In fact it was only later did I find out that they were from so and so place, it still did not make a difference to me. My favourite 3 or 4 scholars I only found out later that they were Arabs and Persians, still it made no difference.

If you want to jump to pride wagon I can tell you the people of my genetic origin ruled a land from the shores of the yellow sea in China encompassing Asia well into Europe and France, but that does not make me better, stronger, smarter, or more privileged over anyone. Everyone has had their glory in the past, learning your history is not a problem, but taking pride in something when we have not even laid down a brick something else.

In no way does my past Hunnic, Seljuk or Ottoman “genes” lead me to heaven, if things were down to genes then the Europeans could argue they are better then all of us hear as they excel today past every Muslim majority country. Theres Turks, a few Kurds, an Arab, and in the near future a Bengali in my family, no one told them they can or cant join in because of their race, or no one held another higher, they are simply Muslims and humans.

What some of you people fail to realize is that both Arab, Asian, Turk, Black and White would all still be living in the same rubbish, primitive and backwards conditions if Islam had not come along. It is when these people, accepted and followed Islam properly did they excel in all levels and hold the light of knowledge.

Now that generally speaking most of these people have left clinging onto Islam, they are back to their backwards, primitive, and rubbish way of thinking. Just a 1000 to 300 years ago Muslims were doing surgeries and developing ways to treat the mentally ill. Today despite having the capabilities in technology most do not even posses what you can call a “hospital, forget that, some of these people do not even know what a mental illness is.

Oh and the sentence, privileged more then those of Saudi Arabia made me laugh, I did not know they would be permitted to enter paradise before us. Maybe we can make a ranking? I wonder were would the poor fella in Sweden with the blonde hair and very light skin would go, they are so far away in terms if genetics.

Some of you need to remember Islam was sent to the whole creation of this universe and not to a particular tribe, no one owns Islam, I do not care who resides in that area today, nore do I care of the name of the country or who descends from who.

No need to start like some people “oh my blood is 100% this and that” oh your blood is “10% Turk, 10% Kurd, 10% Arab, 10% Persian, 10% Indian, 10% Mongol” LOL.

Some need to get over blood and genetics, when you cut your wrist it flows out red not the colour of your skins or your flags.

:sigh:

This is what I was trying to avoid....

Jung's Shadow
    Guests

North Africa and the Horn of Africa experience more migration from outside the continent and immigration out of the continent. West Africa and the rest of Africa was harder to travel to and from.

The East/West divide in this example being, East, the countries on the Eastern shoreline of Africa which is coincidentally where mainland Europe/Arabia is. So the likelihood of travellers or foreigners crossing countries and living amongst each other is high, and places like Somalia would have been ideal. But the only way to be certain is get a DNA test and see if any of your DNA is shared by others outside of your place of origin.

if you speak arabic, you are an arab

the Prophet was not an "arab" because isma'il was not an arab
    .لا نر زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    الدولة الإسلامية باقية

Odan

I think the issue of Somalis' origin is a bit complex and a lot more research is needed to know the exact origin. I, however, don't believe that Somalis are from Arabs despite some commonness in language etc. Also, there is a general myth that Somalis are monoethnic while the reality is different. It is true that ALL Somalis are Muslims but not all speak the exact same language. Also, the pictures used in the post may be misleading in that while they are true pictures of Somali women, not all Somali women look like that. Somalis exhibit an apparently huge disparity in hue and thus not all of them look like that. You can find really dark skin colour amongst Somalis and also a fairly light one.

Not all Somali's are Muslims Enigma

Odan

Yes they are, or to be very precise, they were. I mean historically. Of course, I realise that today there are very few who converted to Christianity in the mass exodus that occurred post 1991.

actually im prousd to say 99% we're muslim...dont get me started on that!
    btu its true i just wanted see is it was true ..but hey im still happy because every muslim is my brother... its still funny when i go into the mosque in england they think im a convert and im like ..."nah man im somali"...then they know.

ANTI IRJAA

I guess nothing historic or racial can be discussed without it turning chidlish.
    Abu Hamzah Anas bin Malik, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:
    "None of you truly believes (in Allah and in His religion) until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"

Thank you, Jung for your response, and Kal-El, for your answer as well.

Assalamu Alaikum

It is not that Somalis are from Arabs or from other so called Caucasians. Somalis are East-Africans who had some mixing for sure. Just like the Yemenis have some African blood, East-Africans have some Semitic blood.

Some tribes must have more Arab than others that's for sure. The traditions, the names, the languages all have been altered. Just because Somali kept their language and dont behave like the Janjaweed deosnt mean they dont have any Arab blood.

Somalis and Ethipians/Eritreans are different than other Africans who got mixed with Arabs. While in North-Africa, in Egypt and Sudan, the Arabs dominated the country in the East things have been different. Not only the Arabs/Semitic immigration weren't so wide spread to change the countries but also they East-Africans were more conservative of what they already were. Northern Ethiopians incorporated their semitic past and created a new culture that is Ethiopian for them.
    For the Somalis and Ethiopians, the Semitic or Arabic influence is there but it is more subtile. If you speak Somali try to speak just Somali and tell me how many of your words really have Somali origin. You can actually improve your Arabic with your Somali but for that, you will need to know you are actually using Arabic.

Now, I did meet some Somali from the South who speak a weird language and I was told that's the original somali language.

The other thing is that even though Arabs are of J so more related to other Semites and Somalis and Ethiopians are mostly Eb31 (and for me thats problably where the pencil noses and tiny lips are from) when it come to languages, Semitic languages and Cu****ic languages are close. Ancient Egyptian, Berbere languages, Semitic languages and Cu****ic are all related.

But let me tell you one thing I hate and please listen if you are an Arab.

Please educate yourself and dont ever tell a Somali that they look good because they look Arab because sorry but the typical Somali look (which is mostly medium dark-I myself discovered that only a few years go I used to think most somalis were light skinned-+ pencil nose or cute little nose isnt due to Arabs. Even the tiny lips that would make some sisters feel they need some lip enhancement :P arent due to the Arabs since many of you have actually fuller lips than us!

And please dont tell us we are more beautiful than other Africans because we have Arab blood because that's a double insult A berbere sister whispered that to my ear while a colleague who is from West Africa was next to me and she didnt even give me the opportunity to protest. I was mad but I didnt want to fight with the only Muslim at my work place.

Btw Allah gave different attributes to different ethnic groups and maybe you havent discovered of the beauty of some other group. For one thing, I find that Western African women have great bodies so dont think you are more beautiful than people you dont know. It is one thing to not be attracted to certain type of physical traits but it is another to criticize Allah's creation and feel too proud.

Remember most of Arabs have African blood and if you have any East African, you probably cant see it today but many of you have West or Southern African blood and I am sure some of your nice features are from those African grand grand grand... grandmothers.

LTL

i know a lot of somalis from minneapolis, good brothers, strong family ties

a few are on that khat stuff, but who is perfect?
    .لا نر زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    الدولة الإسلامية باقية

Odan

LTL, but Somalis in terms of culture and many things are very very different from Ethiopians. For example, while Ethiopians used to write for a very long period Somalis are traditionally oral people who never used to write and only started to write a few years ago. Also, we know that this Ethiopians were Christians for a very long time (remember Najashi) while Somalis are all Muslims. While in terms of looks, they look similar, in many other fields like religion, culture, the writing of the language, Somalis and Ethiopians are very very different. It is quite puzzling.

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMubarak View Post
    i know a lot of somalis from minneapolis, good brothers, strong family ties

a few are on that khat stuff, but who is perfect?
    Yeah bro, that is the problem with Somalis wherever you go. Khat.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma Dreamer View Post
    Khat.
    Hmm.. that seems like somthing to try out. Neverheard of it, a quick search says Holland allows. What don't they allow! Amazing how you can do everything there that is against Islam, but it is a crime to critize Islam there. Strange.