Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

40 Prayers at Masjid-un-Nabwi - Must they be consecutive?

I hear it is beneficial to do 40 prayers at Masjid-un-Nabwi in Madinah over 8 days.

What if one does 32 in a row and then complete the last 8 a few days later?

Do they have to be done as 40 in a row?

Re: 40 Prayers at Masjid-un-Nabwi - Must they be consecutive?

According to Anas, the Prophet (peace be upon him) has also said:

"The person who offers 40 prayers consecutively in my Mosque, without missing a prayer in between, will secure immunity from the fire of Hell and other torments and also from hypocrisy." (Musnad Ahmad)

Account Disabled

Salams

I have heard the 40 days thing is a weak Hadith. It's a good idea to do but not obligatory.

http://www.islamhelpline.com/node/8941:

There is indeed a narration to the effect that if one who prays forty consecutive obligatory prayers in Madinah will be saved from Hell, from punishment, and from hypocrisy……but the absolute vast majority of the good scholars and jurists do not hold the above quoted narration quoted by Ahmad and Tabarani to be authentic or believable.

Their absolute biggest argument is that many amongst the hypocrites at the time of the Prophet (saws) prayed hundreds if not thousands of their obligatory prayers in the Prophet’s Mosque in congregation behind the Prophet (saws) himself…..but Allah Subhanah Himself declares in His Glorious Quran that He will never ever forgive them, nor save them from Hell Fire nor its punishment!

Here too: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/34752/forty prayers prophets mosque

Some people think its obligatory therefore they delay their hajj because they can't get the time off to stay 8 days in madina. I think that's a shame....
    Last edited by flashnazia; 27-01-12 at 05:38 PM.

There will always be arguments over whether to follow hadith until the end of time. I cant comment on whether it is a weak hadith or not as im no expert, but the experts say:Imam Abu Hanifa and Imam Ahmed recorded by Ibn Hazm, “Weak hadith is more beloved to us than opinions of men”. And remember that this hadith is regarded as authentic by others and has been recorded in a number of the principle collections.

Translation: Hadhrat Anas Bin Malik (May Allah be well pleased with him) narrates from the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam): Any person who offers 40 Salaat in My Masjid in such a way that no Salaat is missed, for that person freedom from Hell and relief from punishment of Hell is decreed and that person is saved from hypocrisy. (Musnad Imam Ahmed, Hadith No. 12123, Pg. No: 55; Majma Uz Zawaaid, Vol. 4, Pg. No: 8)

The author of Majma Uz Zawaaid, Hadhrat Ali Bin Abu Bakr Bin Sulaiman Haithami (May Allah shower His Mercy on him) writes after mentioning this Hadith:

Translation: I say that Imam Tirmidhi has recorded a part of this Hadith. Imam Ahmed has recorded this in his Musnad and Imam Tabarani in his Mo’jam Ausat and the narrators of this Hadith are reliable and trustworthy.

This Hadith is also mentioned in Mo’jam Ausat of Imam Tabarani, Vol. 5, Hadith No. 5602, with a slight change in wording:

Translation: It has been narrated on the authority of Hadhrat Anas (May Allah be well pleased with him) that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said: Whoever offers 40 Salaat in my Masjid in such a way that no Salaat is missed, Allah decrees for that person freedom from hell and deliverance from the punishment of hell.

100,000 times the reward vs 1000 times the reward. I know where I would rather try and pray.

I heard that whoever prays forty prayers in the Prophet’s Mosque, it will be recorded that he is free of hypocrisy. Is this hadeeth saheeh?.

Praise be to Allaah.

This hadeeth was narrated by Ahmad (12173) from Anas ibn Maalik from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who is reported to have said, “Whoever prays forty prayers in my Mosque, missing no prayer, it will be recorded that he is safe from the Fire, is saved from punishment and is free of hypocrisy.” This is a da’eef (weak) hadeeth.

This was mentioned by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah (364), who said: It is da’eef. He also mentioned it in Da’eef al-Targheeb (755) and said, it is munkar (a kind of weak hadeeth).

Al-Albaani said in his book Hujjat al-Nabi (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (p. 185) that it is an innovation (bid’ah) to visit Madeenah and tell the visitors to Madeenah to stay there for a week so that they will be able to offer forty prayers in the Prophet’s Mosque so that they will be free from hypocrisy and saved from the Fire.”

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said:

With regard to the widespread idea that the visitor should stay for eight days so that he can offer forty prayers in the Mosque is wrong. Although it says in some ahaadeeth “Whoever offers forty prayers therein Allaah will decree that he is safe from the Fire and free from hypocrisy,” this hadeeth is da’eef according to the scholars and cannot be taken as proof or relied upon. There is no set limit for visiting the Prophet’s Mosque. If a person visits for an hour or two, or a day or two, or for more than that, there is nothing wrong with that.

Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 17/406

Instead of this hadeeth we should look at the hasan hadeeth narrated by al-Tirmidhi (241) concerning the virtue of always being present for the opening takbeer of prayer in congregation. It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever prays for forty days with the congregation, always being present for the first takbeer, it will be written that he will be safe from two things: he will be safe from the Fire and safe from hypocrisy.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 200.

The virtue mentioned in this hadeeth is general and applies to any mosque where prayers are offered in congregation, in any land; it does not apply only to al-Masjid al-Haraam [in Makkah] or al-Masjid al-Nabawi [in Madeenah].

Based on this, whoever consistently prays forty Days in congregation in which he is present for the first takbeer, it will be recorded that he will be safe from two things: safe from the Fire and safe from hypocrisy, whether the mosque is in Madeenah, Makkah or anywhere else.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
    Last edited by islam_4eva; 28-01-12 at 12:13 AM.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by bigupajc View Post
    There will always be arguments over whether to follow hadith until the end of time. I cant comment on whether it is a weak hadith or not as im no expert....

I'm just advising people to be careful because of what I said earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by flashnazia View Post
    Some people think its obligatory therefore they delay their hajj because they can't get the time off to stay 8 days in madina. I think that's a shame....
    Therefore a weak hadith could have the effect of making people delay a compulsory act; people have work/children etc and can't always spare 8 days medina + 5 days hajj + some days Mecca + 3-4 days travel.
    Last edited by flashnazia; 28-01-12 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by islam_4eva View Post
    100,000 times the reward vs 1000 times the reward. I know where I would rather try and pray.
    So do i ...... Madinah every time for me. Would rather pray next to our beloved prophet. The one who delievered the message, the one who is most beloved to allah. I would approach it with a different intention, rather than just thinking about the number 100,000. But each to their own.

With the many arguments over al-Albani and ibn baaz interpretation of hadith and indeed islam, i would rather focus on what earlier scholars contributed.

Quote Originally Posted by flashnazia View Post
    I'm just advising people to be careful because of what I said earlier:Therefore a weak hadith could have the effect of making people delay a compulsory act; people have work/children etc and can't always spare 8 days medina + 5 days hajj + some days Mecca + 3-4 days travel.
    Totally agree with you flash

So do i ...... Madinah every time for me. Would rather pray next to our beloved prophet. The one who delievered the message, the one who is most beloved to allah. I would approach it with a different intention, rather than just thinking about the number 100,000. But each to their own.

With the many arguments over al-Albani and ibn baaz interpretation of hadith and indeed islam, i would rather focus on what earlier scholars contributed.
    So instead of getting 100,000 times the reward as well as having the chance to get extra rewards from as many tawafs as you want you would rather lose out on this to "pray next to our beloved prophet"!

None of us can afford to 'throw away' the opportunity of reward that can be attained in Makkah inshallah yet you dismiss it without any hesitation.

May Allah Azzawajal guide you and everyone else who thinks like this.

Being with the prophet (saw) with sincere intention will inshallah be more rewarding. You fail to understand the point. Think what answer you would get if you asked a sahaba the same Q. But yes hadith xx says reward = xx, so best stick with that simple logic

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

Being with the prophet (saw) with sincere intention will inshallah be more rewarding. You fail to understand the point. Think what answer you would get if you asked a sahaba the same Q. But yes hadith xx says reward = xx, so best stick with that simple logic
    Are you implying that praying in Masjid e Nabi is more rewarding than Masjid al haram?

post evidence for this claim, your personal opinion is no proof.

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

Account Disabled

Thanks for answers. From those who believe in the 40 I have learned from you that the 40 should be consecutive.

I find Madina a more peaceful place than Makkah. Makkah is too rushed. I understand what is said about more thwaab in Makkah.

Account Disabled

nice information. it is my wish to pray 40 prayers in Masjid-e-Nabwi and I will pray these 40 prayers InshaAllah. This is one of the wishes of my life.

not suprised of sheikh Al baani calling it biddah
    O Allah, I ask You for knowledge that is of benefit, a good provision, and deeds that will be accepted . (Recite in Arabic upon rising in the morning.)

Allaahumma 'innee 'as'aluka 'ilman naafi'an, wa rizqan tayyiban, wa 'amalan mutaqabbalan.

According to Anas, the Prophet (peace be upon him) has also said:

"The person who offers 40 prayers consecutively in my Mosque, without missing a prayer in between, will secure immunity from the fire of Hell and other torments and also from hypocrisy." (Musnad Ahmad)

So that doesnt make it Fard, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    So that doesnt make it Fard, does it?
    No it is not a fard act.