Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Best English translation of the Quran.

I'm just about to purchase my first copy and wanting to know which is the best translation into English?

Re: Best English translation of the Quran.

Quote Originally Posted by kentist View Post
    I'm just about to purchase my first copy and wanting to know which is the best translation into English?
    I'd say Yusuf Ali (ra)
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

الحمد لله‎

this and this

Quote Originally Posted by Peacenik View Post
    I'd say Yusuf Ali (ra)
    yusuf ali's footnotes filled with rationalist deviations so i wouldn't recommend it to anyone
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

Quote Originally Posted by Peacenik View Post
    I'd say Yusuf Ali (ra)
    Quote Originally Posted by S@Z View Post
    yusuf ali's footnotes filled with rationalist deviations so i wouldn't recommend it to anyone
    I haven't really come across any. Do you have any examples ?
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

I would recommend Muhsin Khans translation

Here's an online version http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNobleQuran/index.html
    مِّنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ رِجَالٌ صَدَقُوا مَا عَاهَدُوا اللَّهَ عَلَيْهِ فَمِنْهُم مَّن قَضَى نَحْبَهُ وَمِنْهُم مَّن يَنتَظِرُ وَمَا بَدَّلُوا تَبْدِيلًا

لِّيَجْزِيَ اللَّهُ الصَّادِقِينَ بِصِدْقِهِمْ وَيُعَذِّبَ الْمُنَافِقِينَ إِن شَاءَ أَوْ يَتُوبَ عَلَيْهِمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar

Sahih International

Abdul Haleem

Aishah Bewley

Taqi Usmani

You can check them all out here.
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

www.quran.com - Click and see what one you like and can understand. Personally I like the Pickthall translation for ease

Saheeh International as it it's translation is a nice modern english type that is understood by all. Personally I would stay away from Yusuf Ali as it has some dodgy translations and Allah knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnah321 View Post
    Personally I would stay away from Yusuf Ali as it has some dodgy translations and Allah knows best.
    Everyone keeps saying that but with no proof.

Please remain silent if you haven't any evidence.

JZK.

Quote Originally Posted by the_middle_road View Post
    Abdul Haleem

Aishah Bewley
    These two are really good. The Aisha Bewley translation, in particular, is very accessible and easy to understand masha'Allah.

I've also heard a lot of criticism of the Yusuf Ali translation....Allah knows best, but I choose to avoid it.

الحمد لله‎

Abdullah Yusuf Ali's The Holy Qur'an: Translation and Commentary (Lahore, 1934 37), perhaps the most popular translation, stands as another major achievement in this field. A civil servant by vocation, Yusuf Ali was not a scholar in the classical Muslim tradition. Small wonder, then, that some of his copious notes, particularly on hell and heaven, angels, jinn and polygamy, etc. are informed with the pseudo-rationalist spirit of his times, as for instance in the works of S. Ahmad and S. Ameer Ali.

His overemphasis on things spiritual also distorts the Qur'anic worldview. Against this is the fact that Yusuf Ali doubtless was one of the few Muslims who enjoyed an excellent command over the English language. It is fully reflected in his translation. Though his is more of a paraphrase than a literal translation, yet it faithfully represents the sense of the original.
    Source
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

this and this

sis, I've got a copy of it, there are some mistakes but as a translation it's quite good. If I want Tafsir of the Ayah's I refer to Tafsir Ibn Kathir ...

I would recommend Dr Muhsin & Taqi Udin Hilali translation as the best and most accurate in English. (the ones you put a link up for)

http://quran.com/1

Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 21-01-12 at 01:40 PM.
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

JZK but I feel what you've quoted is nothing major. As Brother Saif-Uddin has said, the translation is pretty good (and that's what I tend to go by).

NOT MY GUMDROP BUTTONS!!! Fairy's Avatar

Muhammad Marmaduke William Pickthall - i prefer his one
    My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
    O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Muhammad Marmaduke William Pickthall - i prefer his one
    anyone know if i can download sahih international for the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by the_middle_road View Post
    Sahih International

Abdul Haleem
    Them two along with Yusuf Ali. Yusuf Ali is the first one I read so there's this special attachment to it.

Wish Abdul Haleem had used the word Allah instead of God but I suppose it was aimed at the Western audience to help make them understand that our God is the same as the only God.

Other than that, it's an excellent translation.
    Last edited by blackarmour; 03-07-12 at 05:42 PM.
    "Woe be to the ignorant person once for not learning. Woe be to the scholar a thousand times for not practicing." - Al-Ghazali

~never forget t'oppressed Ariadne's Avatar

Abdullah Yusuf Ali is always the best for me, it's a very beautiful yet strong translation and I almost shed tears reading it. Maybe I have to learn Arabic and feel the more intense WOW effect of Qur'an, no? But sometimes, the tafsir is odd, or maybe it's just me.

Oh, and you might want to download this : The Word per Word Meaning Translation of Qur'an to English. Thanks to member @nda, I found the links from him

http://ia601205.us.archive.org/27/it...TheQuran-1.pdf
    http://ia600809.us.archive.org/9/ite...heQuran--2.pdf
    http://ia700606.us.archive.org/18/it...TheQuran-3.pdf
    Last edited by Ariadne; 03-07-12 at 07:00 PM.

"Place the light in my soul and make light abundant for me.
    Make me light and grant me light. (Sahih Muslim)

Aisha Bewley's is good, as well as Taqi Usmani's. Pickthall's is ok but used outdated English.

Yusuf Ali's tafsir is odd. Muhsin Khan's is not all that good either.

لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول journey2jannah's Avatar

This is also a very good and easy to undestand English translation of the Qur'an by Muhammad Farooq-i-Azam Malik. However, I'm in no position to say if it's the 'best'.

Reviews, Input and Approvals

This project was started in 1991 and initial draft completed in 1994. Then the Translation was sent to different Ulema in Town and throughout United States for their review and input. After their reviews and input it was sent to Jme Al-Azhar Al-Sharif in Egypt, Ummal Qur in Saudi Arabia and International Islamic University in Pakistan for their review, input and approval. After their reviews it was published in 1997. It has also been reviewed by Rabita Al-‘Alame-Islami and in-depth reviews and editing have also been done by Dr. Abdul Majeed Al-‘Ubaidi, Abdul Razzaq Abdul Majeed and Muhammad Luqman As-Salfi from the Department of Education, Ifta, Da‘wah and Irshad, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. at the directions of Fadeelat Sheikh Abdul Aziz Bin Abdullah Bin Muhammad le Al-Sheikh, Grand Mufti, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Dr. Sleh Bin Abdullah Al-‘Ubd of Islamic University at Madinah-tul-Munawwarah, Sheikh Dr. Ali Bin Muhammad Nasir Faqeehi and Dr. V. Abdur Rahim of King Fahd Qur'an Printing Complex at Madinah-tul-Munawwarah.

More information can be found here and here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The example of a believer is that of a fresh tender plant; from whatever direction the wind comes, it bends it, but when the wind becomes quiet, it becomes straight again. Similarly, a believer is afflicted with calamities (but he remains patient till Allah removes his difficulties.) And an impious wicked person is like a pine tree which keeps hard and straight till Allah cuts (breaks) it down when He wishes.