Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: What is preventing you from getting married?

Voters
422. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sisters: Wali won't give permission

43 10.19%
  • Sisters: No one asked

85 20.14%
  • Sisters: Not finished education

66 15.64%
  • Sisters: Children from previous marriage

12 2.84%
  • Sisters: No pious Brothers

69 16.35%
  • Brothers: No money

149 35.31%
  • Brothers: Her Wali won't give permission

25 5.92%
  • Brothers: Not finished education

77 18.25%
  • Brothers: Children from previous marriage

15 3.55%
  • Brothers: No pious Sisters

89 21.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Why can't people get married?

As salaamualeikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu,

Hello Muslim peeps!

I keep hearing about women who can't get married and men who can't get married and I keep thinking - why not? What is preventing people from getting married?

Comments! Suggestions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Why can't people get married?

Quote Originally Posted by Juvegirl View Post
    I just find the entire thing interesting. I wanted to get married and I wanted to marry my husband. So I made it easy and hard at the same time. I sacrificed a lot to have a wedding we could afford, but I done regret any of it. The hard was regarding the Mahr, as I said in the other thread, I wanted to be certain he could save money, and I knew his income. If his income hadve been less, so too would have been my Mahr.

For the majority of the sisters who want to get married, have you considered doing something like this?
    Don't know mahr isn't important, ive always thought it was symbolic i mean it's not like back in the days when a woman left her home to marry she was not coming back so she somehow needed that money just in case
    but what you did was great ^^

الله مولانا ولا مولى لهم Abu Suleiman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I live in a pretty dead area so there's hardly any practising Muslims here. And the sisters that are, well let's just say that racism is a very ugly thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've given this subject a fair amount of thought over the past long while and have replied on previous marriage threads...

Marriage is a wonderful thing. I'd love to be married someday, have a family, live the 'dream' etc and so on. It would be a nice thing. We'll see. Insh'allah.

My place, situation, and station in life right now is not exactly a good environment to bring a wife, kids, extended family, etc, in to. We'll see though. It's difficult to imagine, create, and sustain the stable environment of a married life when my life as is right now itself unstable, unpredictable, stressful, and so on and so forth. I mean, seriously, at this time the wife would be lucky to get a slice of pizza for the mahr. LOL.

Then, you take into account family, junk culture, my own anti-social tendencies, how I am and how I look, my past, and marriage looks like an avalanche headed for disaster. I'm not exactly every families dreamy to-be husband.

Either way. Insh'allah, someday. We'll see.

Depressing thread. If there's any sweet, loving, compassionate, humble, pious, understanding super Muslimah's out there who want to live a life of almost near continual poverty and want to get married MESSAGE ME! w00t w00t!

edit: through a mod or your wali. LOL.
    Last edited by DAAR84; 29-11-11 at 01:03 AM.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ cho09082489's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    199 Post(s)

Obstacles left, right and centre

No worthy mahram to be a wali therefore no chance of even looking

also, I've thought about it and I dont think Im ready to give up my freedom just yet

at the same time I want a husband so I can feel secure and not have to fend for myself, makes life easier, can sleep in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Parents are the main obstacle. They can't seem to get it through their thick ignorant skulls that you do not need to move in immediately with your wife once you get married seeing how we are both students. No, I don't have a house, nor a car, nor a Masters or PhD (yet) nor do I make a 6 figure salary thank you very much.

Also, not sure where exactly to find the kind of sisters I'm looking for. Too many al-Maghrib/al-Kauther types around here and I dont swing like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibnFalaax View Post
    Parents are the main obstacle. They can't seem to get it through their thick ignorant skulls that you do not need to move in immediately with your wife once you get married seeing how we are both students. No, I don't have a house, nor a car, nor a Masters or PhD (yet) nor do I make a 6 figure salary thank you very much.

Also, not sure where exactly to find the kind of sisters I'm looking for. Too many al-Maghrib/al-Kauther types around here and I dont swing like that.
    you seem upset..
    and what's al maghrib al kauther anyway?
    Last edited by anonymous_mehip; 29-11-11 at 03:20 AM.

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3883 Post(s)

Not to pick on anyone, but, I've been seeing this word a lot for the past few days → "Pee'd Off," to put it nicely.

"You seem upset" ← A better, more halal alternative.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Not to pick on anyone, but, I've been seeing this word a lot for the past few days → "Pee'd Off," to put it nicely.

"You seem upset" ← A better, more halal alternative.
    you're right thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous_mehip View Post
    you seem *upset..
    and what's al maghrib al kauther anyway?
    I'm not angry or upset just disappointed in the elders in my community. Externally, they look righteous and their words will please you, but in reality they are afflicted with many afflictions. A lot of decent brothers and sisters cant get married here because parents must see your Degree, License+Registration and Apartment Lease papers.

Al-Maghrib/Al-Kauther are double weekend courses ran by some Du'at in the West. Don't really have huge issues with them and even attended some courses myself, but I differ with them in some ways that I prefer not getting into in this topic.

sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

↑ that sounds very particular

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *asiya* View Post

from my observations, seems to be a mix of things. many men are still at school till theyre almost 30, racist parents, spinless brainwashed men, women with racist wali, women asking for huge mahr along with furniture, fancy rings, fancy dresses suitcases full of gifts, gold, dresses for her ( her sisters and mother ) matching tablecloths huge wedding halls, and tiered wedding cakes and brothers cant afford that because theyve been in school for 25 years..
    lol, all things listed there, is that true or a tad bit of exaggeration in that?
    لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

أليس الله بِكَافٍ عَبْدَه fisabilillah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Re: Why can't people get married?

وَأَنْكِحُوا الْأَيَامَى مِنْكُمْ وَالصَّالِحِينَ مِنْ عِبَادِكُمْ وَإِمَائِكُمْ إِنْ يَكُونُوا فُقَرَاءَ يُغْنِهِمُ اللَّهُ مِنْ فَضْلِهِ وَاللَّهُ وَاسِعٌ عَلِيمٌ

(32) سورة النــور

(And marry the unmarried among you and the righteous among your male slaves and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allah will enrich them from His bounty, and Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing).
    قال بعض السلف :
    خلق الله الملائكة عقولاً بلا شهوة ، وخلق البهائم شهوة بلا عقول، وخلق ابن آدم وركب فيه العقل والشهوة ، فمن غلب عقله شهوته التحق بالملائكة ، ومن غلبت شهوته عقله التحق بالبهائم .

http://saaid.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They can't seem to get it through their thick ignorant skulls that...
    How disrespectful...!
    Allah's Messenger said: "Allah the Exalted said: I live in the thought of My servant and I am with him as he remembers Me. When he draws near Me by the span of his hand, I draw near him by the length of a cubit, and when he draws near Me by the length of a cubit, I draw near him by the length of a fathom, and when he draws near Me walking I draw close to him running." (Al-Bukhari)

kostageas
    Guests

No money. I'm a student. I'm too young (16). I live in da USA and no good sisters here. I don't think any sisters would want to marry me, I'm fat and ugly (lol u usually hear the sisters saying that about themselves, not bros). I've been a muslim for 2 years and don't know a lot. No job. Lot of reasons. InshAllah I will marry after I get a good enough job and ready to make heejrah InshAllah.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

haven't really looked, but I'd say i'm picky. but hey, if you're gonna spend your whole life with someone (in theory) might as well be picky. you don't just by the cheapest shoe in the store do you? now if marriage was only for a week or two, sure, marry whoever and get it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oi, Cos people no longer know what they want. They don't know what is religious anymore, they say they are prepared to sacrifice and live a simple life which in days gone by would have been an extremely lavish lifestyle.

Because our priorites are all wrong, cos we don't follow the sunnah. How many times have I heard muslimah's saying they don't want a brother with a beard or a brother saying he does'nt want a girl in hijaab, but he/she wants someone religious??

Cos we are looking for religious supermodels who are following the dictates of the west with a slight muslim flavour.

Muslimah's want careers and want to enter the world of work and want to marry a religious brother entirely on sunnah who believes a woman's place is at home with her family and not in the workplace, do we have a match???
    Last edited by Bugz; 29-11-11 at 06:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oi, no money, no permanent job and cant find a muslimah.

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3883 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kostageas View Post
    No money. I'm a student. I'm too young (16). I live in da USA and no good sisters here. I don't think any sisters would want to marry me, I'm fat and ugly (lol u usually hear the sisters saying that about themselves, not bros). I've been a muslim for 2 years and don't know a lot. No job. Lot of reasons. InshAllah I will marry after I get a good enough job and ready to make heejrah InshAllah.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This thread is so depressing!

Lets just all get on with life inshaAllah, when it happens it happens
    Patience...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not finished education...

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kostageas View Post
    assalamu alaykum brother,

cheer up. you're sixteen. just cut out the junk food and pop. play sports, do cardio, or workout. wait for your beard to grow out in a few years. and you'll look just as good as any other brother. just learn and practice your deen. keep away from sins. excel in your studies. it'll work out in the end.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

icanot marry because people will nto let me here.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1684 Post(s)

nvm

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1684 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rouz View Post
    This thread is so depressing!

this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bro Abdullah. View Post
    Search on an actual matrimonial site, Ummah isn't one.
    Allah's Messenger said: "Allah the Exalted said: I live in the thought of My servant and I am with him as he remembers Me. When he draws near Me by the span of his hand, I draw near him by the length of a cubit, and when he draws near Me by the length of a cubit, I draw near him by the length of a fathom, and when he draws near Me walking I draw close to him running." (Al-Bukhari)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

according to the poll it seems to be for sisters it's the fact of no pious brothers. and for brothers it's a financially issue.

i can't speak for the brothers. but as a sister the no pious brothers is my biggest reason for not being married. ive been wanting to get married since i was 17. now im 23 and still single. and it's because there are basically no single pious brothers where i live.
    Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.Ē
    (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

شهيد إن شاء الله
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sis_niqabi View Post
    according to the poll it seems to be for sisters it's the fact of no pious brothers. and for brothers it's a financially issue.

i can't speak for the brothers. but as a sister the no pious brothers is my biggest reason for not being married. ive been wanting to get married since i was 17. now im 23 and still single. and it's because there are basically no single pious brothers where i live.

you gotta be kidding me. i see pious bros all the time. they just dirt poor tho.

whats the standard here for piety? besides all the fard and sunnah salah, going to halaqa, being active, secure, good mannered, strong, bold, knowledgeable, practical ect ect?
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sis_niqabi View Post
    it's because there are basically no single pious brothers where i live.
    'Single' seems to be the operative word here... why not just go for the married pious brother then (at the risk of opening that can of worms lol).

Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1569 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *~ Shrinking Violet ~* View Post
    Search on an actual matrimonial site, Ummah isn't one.
    Yaaaaaaay mashaAllah. Finally someone has cottoned on........
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for usĒ - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rouz View Post
    Getting on with life won't get you married. If you want something, then approach it through its means and have Tawakil in Allah.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle umar View Post
    you gotta be kidding me. i see pious bros all the time. they just dirt poor tho.

whats the standard here for piety? besides all the fard and sunnah salah, going to halaqa, being active, secure, good mannered, strong, bold, knowledgeable, practical ect ect?
    Seriously sisters please inform us, we are dying to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverTexture View Post
    'Single' seems to be the operative word here... why not just go for the married pious brother then (at the risk of opening that can of worms lol).
    there are some religious brothers(older ones) where i live and many of them already have wife no.2 but they could barely take care of 1 family and they always put all the wives and kids in 1 house. if a brother who have the means to take care of more than one family came along i would consider. but unfortunately there are no brothers like that where i live.
    Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.Ē
    (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

شهيد إن شاء الله
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

cause the thing is, the pious brothers arent usually the type to go and make themself noticed you know.

they do all sorts of ibadah, worship like how people used to do like hundreds of years ago but they are so humble that nobody takes notice of them. most of them dont have alot of money either so they dont look for marriage because whats the point?

and i mean thats the truth. the majority of truley pious people are gonna be poor. not because they dont have good jobs but because most of their free money is spent on the needy, orphans, poor ect ect.

i know lots of these brothers. they wanna get married but their problem too is that women asking too much money. it becomes a huge obstacle, and it discourages most away from the idea. so they end up filling all their spare time with activities and such to keep their mind off it and to gain ajer.

sisters if you want a pious bro, the reality is that your probably not going to be rich.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

sponsor an orphan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

here we go again...

Iman Builder - Trainee
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

This question cannot be answered, there's no specific answer to it!

I'd love to see the answers of any females who do attempt it though..seen as so many have voted..
    وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
    Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sisters if you want a pious bro, the reality is that your probably not going to be rich.
    And even if he was rich, he'd probably be giving much of it away to his parents, kindred, the orphans, Al-Masakin, al-Fuqara, to free the captives and for those in debt, the wayfarer and for the sake of Allah. If you read some of the narrations of the Sahaba, a man would receive 100,000 dinars in the morning and by the end of the night all of it would be gone and his wife would ask him, "What have you left for us," and he would reply, "Nothing," and they would be content with that. So, it is upon us to really analyse and sincerely ask ourselves the tough questions, are we able to handle something like that ?

Please dont be a smart aleck and try to bring examples of rich Sahaba like Uthman (ra) and Abdurrahman (ra). If you looked at their wealth, you'd be amazed by how much of it they would give away.

شهيد إن شاء الله
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

And even if he was rich, he'd probably be giving much of it away to his parents, kindred, the orphans, Al-Masakin, al-Fuqara, to free the captives and for those in debt, the wayfarer and for the sake of Allah. If you read some of the narrations of the Sahaba, a man would receive 100,000 dinars in the morning and by the end of the night all of it would be gone and his wife would ask him, "What have you left for us," and he would reply, "Nothing," and they would be content with that. So, it is upon us to really analyse and sincerely ask ourselves the tough questions, are we able to handle something like that ?

Please dont be a smart aleck and try to bring examples of rich Sahaba like Uthman (ra) and Abdurrahman (ra). If you looked at their wealth, you'd be amazed by how much of it they would give away.
    actually thats how it it. the pious bros do work, they work hard.

but they are always broke.

anyone want ot guess why?

sponsor an orphan

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

actually thats how it it. the pious bros do work, they work hard.

but they are always broke.

anyone want ot guess why?
    Ajeeb. Do people really think that piety = being dirt poor.

This section is funny.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

شهيد إن شاء الله
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    Ajeeb. Do people really think that piety = being dirt poor.

This section is funny.
    taking post out of context tfl

however its worth mentioning that most of the people of jennah will be from the poor.

sponsor an orphan

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Being pious doesn't necessarily mean you remain poor. many pious people are poor. but there also many pious people who are rich. many poor people are not at all pious. and many rich people are not at all pious. Actually, some mashayikh in these times actually advise people to try not to remain poor. Meaning if you can earn a bit more, then do so. There are 4 types of people. the most wretched type are the poor that wish to emulate the sinful rich. they neither enjoy this life nor the hereafter.

Barayev
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bro Abdullah. View Post

i agree with this brother - y'all holding me back