Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 165
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Unspecified
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist? Lots of Muslim woman doing it, not just in the west but even if they live in Asia and other parts of the world as well. I know for fact that the Prime Minister of a Islamic Republic country had a male Gynecologist and he delivered her baby (atleast one, probably rest of them too).

    Also is it OK for a Muslim woman to get the Mammogram done by a male? Similarly, other exams and treatment in which they have to show or let the male Doctor touch their private parts?

  2. #2
    Alhamdulilah 4 everything nousername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    8,858
    Rep Power
    356

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    A female should really be the practitioner in all cases, and a male only when there are no females around.
    Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
    Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

    You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

  3. #3
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Unspecified
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    0

    Exclamation Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Thanks for your good reference brother. The position according to shariah is understandable but there still is a lot of grey area in this. And when it is like this, a lot of confusions and misinterpretations comes in.

    Well, the main concern is, most of the times these days there are options available to particularly ask for a male doctor, gynecologist or a radiologist/technician, but I have commonly seen and heard cases where women don't bother to put any effort to ask or look for a male doctor. In some cases, women by their choice or preference, engage male Gynecologist etc. (like the example of a female Prime Minister of an Islamic Republic. Well, in most cases, it is becoming so common among the women to show 'don't care, male or female' attitude. For this, I would encourage Muslim brothers and sisters on the forum to share their thoughts and experiences and some examples.

  5. #5
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Well, the main concern is, most of the times these days there are options available to particularly ask for a female doctor, gynecologist or a radiologist/technician, but I have commonly seen and heard cases where women don't bother to put any effort to ask or look for a female doctor.
    I'm confused. Do you mean female doctor?
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  6. #6
    *bıɟɐɹɯıɯɐʇpɐʎızɯɯn* .: Anna :.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    82,007
    Rep Power
    360

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by saadullahkhan View Post
    Thanks for your good reference brother. The position according to shariah is understandable but there still is a lot of grey area in this. And when it is like this, a lot of confusions and misinterpretations comes in.

    Well, the main concern is, most of the times these days there are options available to particularly ask for a male doctor, gynecologist or a radiologist/technician, but I have commonly seen and heard cases where women don't bother to put any effort to ask or look for a male doctor. In some cases, women by their choice or preference, engage male Gynecologist etc. (like the example of a female Prime Minister of an Islamic Republic. Well, in most cases, it is becoming so common among the women to show 'don't care, male or female' attitude. For this, I would encourage Muslim brothers and sisters on the forum to share their thoughts and experiences and some examples.
    of course that is wrong, if we can ask for a female we should do so. male drs is for necessity
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah


  7. #7
    Library Ice Queen Massilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    11,772
    Rep Power
    486

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    I have trouble finding a female practitioner in here i dont even imagine what it must be elsewhere. Btw it's not something new, Muslim women before had male doctors even under Caliphate so i guess they had to deal with it. No joke with health.
    My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
    Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

  8. #8
    umm sumaiya naila-k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    15,376
    Rep Power
    265

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    the problem is it is hard to find females in these fields, because of the length of study required etc, and most women after 6 years uni, then specialising and then practicing for a few years, then take career breaks for family and kids.

    Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

  9. #9
    1110010 Peacenik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    24,387
    Rep Power
    243

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??



    I wonder what Muslimah would actually see a male practitioner in relation to this ?

    Gynecology is a fairly new area in medicine. Have there been any instances in the past of Muslimahs being treated for this, whether from male or female gynecologists (if they existed that is) ?

    And wonder why any male would go into this 'profession' in the first place.... ?
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

    QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

  10. #10
    Nostalgia.. ~ Jumana ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    2,104
    Rep Power
    133

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by Peacenik View Post


    I wonder what Muslimah would actually see a male practitioner in relation to this ?

    Gynecology is a fairly new area in medicine. Have there been any instances in the past of Muslimahs being treated for this, whether from male or female gynecologists (if they existed that is) ?

    And wonder why any male would go into this 'profession' in the first place.... ?
    I keep asking myself the same question , not only that but whether his work would be halal especially if he was a muslim that COULD choose a different medical field (pediatric, surgical , dermatology , etc) !
    Jannah is my aim

  11. #11
    1110010 Peacenik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    24,387
    Rep Power
    243

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by ~ Jumana ~ View Post
    I keep asking myself the same question , not only that but whether his work would be halal especially if he was a muslim that COULD choose a different medical field (pediatric, surgical , dermatology , etc) !
    As a Muslim, I could never see myself working in the 'profession' of gynecology.
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

    QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

  12. #12
    Keeping it real! sis_niqabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    6,428
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    if you can't find a female gyno then it's permissible. but you should only go to a male gyno if you absolutely need to like if you are pregnant or having some serious female issues.

    al humduillah i think nowadays it's easy to find a female gyno. the hospital i go to has a lot of female gynos on staff.
    Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.”
    (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

  13. #13
    Odan Juvegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    1,911
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    In Canada it is usually your Family Doctor who performs the basic exams (pap/breast) and you go to a Gyno only if you have something more serious, like pregnancy, disease or complications in your sex organs.

    You don't always have much of a choice here on who your doctor is, but alhamdulilah, all my doctors/therapists are female, except the podiatrist (food doctor).

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Unspecified
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by Juvegirl View Post
    In Canada it is usually your Family Doctor who performs the basic exams (pap/breast) and you go to a Gyno only if you have something more serious, like pregnancy, disease or complications in your sex organs.

    You don't always have much of a choice here on who your doctor is, but alhamdulilah, all my doctors/therapists are female, except the podiatrist (food doctor).
    Well, my inquiry is not just limited to the Gynecologists. That is more towards examining female private parts or such as delivering a baby, mammography, etc. etc., by a male Doctor. What the hell men are doing in these areas, particularly at this time and age? Where is the concern for the privacy and the hijaab of our wives, sisters and the women in general? Why men are still trying to go into this and chose to make it their career? Do women of this day have any objection or suggestion to discourage or stop this??

  15. #15
    umm sumaiya naila-k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    15,376
    Rep Power
    265

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    its like i said, because women cant go in to these careers unless they are not going to have a family, due to the time needed to study, and if men dont go in to these careers then there would be a shortage of these professionals, which would not benefit women.

    as a woman,how can i say to another woman, go out to work and study, for long hours, on call shifts, for over 15 years of your life, then once you qualifies you are already in mid 30s, and then you have a demanding career, and dont want to waste all those years studying so have to practice for the benefit of other women at the expense of having your own family?

    Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

  16. #16
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Hmmm...that's why I think we need more female Muslimahs in these fields.

    I guess, they can practice in this field, while they are married. It'd take a lot of sacrifice and patience from the husband, though.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    First of all, most mammograms and vaginal ultrasounds are performed by female technicians. Maybe in asia or africa that is not the case, but certainly in North America.

    So you already have options.

    Secondly, there are more women than men in medical schools right now, at least in North America. I know there are similar statistics in Pakistan, believe it or not, and Iran is pretty close too.

    Finally, gynecology is female-heavy. Many female doctors specialize in this area, whereas the men prefer things like surgery, cardiology, emergency medicine, etc.

    So you always have options.

    Now, I have no idea what the situation is in the arab or asian countries. If it is rare for women to practice or specialize in these countries, then you are out of luck. In fact, this is one of th ereasons why Afghanistan has such a high maternal death rate and infant mortality rate - the Taliban only allow the women to be treated by females, but they don't allow women into medical schools, and don't allow female doctors into the villages unless they are accompanied by a mehram. It is the pregnant women and babies that lose out because of this.

  18. #18
    Nostalgia.. ~ Jumana ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    2,104
    Rep Power
    133

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus Girl View Post
    First of all, most mammograms and vaginal ultrasounds are performed by female technicians. Maybe in asia or africa that is not the case, but certainly in North America.

    So you already have options.

    Secondly, there are more women than men in medical schools right now, at least in North America. I know there are similar statistics in Pakistan, believe it or not, and Iran is pretty close too.

    Finally, gynecology is female-heavy. Many female doctors specialize in this area, whereas the men prefer things like surgery, cardiology, emergency medicine, etc.

    So you always have options.

    Now, I have no idea what the situation is in the arab or asian countries. If it is rare for women to practice or specialize in these countries, then you are out of luck. In fact, this is one of th ereasons why Afghanistan has such a high maternal death rate and infant mortality rate - the Taliban only allow the women to be treated by females, but they don't allow women into medical schools, and don't allow female doctors into the villages unless they are accompanied by a mehram. It is the pregnant women and babies that lose out because of this.
    I know about UAE ....i can not think of even ONE male doctor who is a gynecologist.
    It is not allowed here , alhamdulillah.
    Jannah is my aim

  19. #19
    umm sumaiya naila-k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    15,376
    Rep Power
    265

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Hmmm...that's why I think we need more female Muslimahs in these fields.

    I guess, they can practice in this field, while they are married. It'd take a lot of sacrifice and patience from the husband, though.
    unfortunately a lot of brothers dont think like this, and they say if we have non muslim women in these fields, so no need for muslim women to do it, or to encourage muslim women to do it, aka QMU

    Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Hmmm...that's why I think we need more female Muslimahs in these fields.

    I guess, they can practice in this field, while they are married. It'd take a lot of sacrifice and patience from the husband, though.
    He will have a smart, knowledgeable wife who helps other women.

    What kind of patience and sacrifices will be required of him?????

  21. #21
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus Girl View Post
    He will have a smart, knowledgeable wife who helps other women.

    What kind of patience and sacrifices will be required of him?????
    From what I know, doctors work odd hours and they might get call late at night and have to go. Plus, if she's a doctor, then it'll definitely mean she won't be spending as much time doing household chores as a wife who stay at home.

    Quote Originally Posted by naila-k View Post
    unfortunately a lot of brothers dont think like this, and they say if we have non muslim women in these fields, so no need for muslim women to do it, or to encourage muslim women to do it, aka QMU
    I disagree with those brothers, then.

    In fact, the awrah of a Muslim woman in Hanafi fiqh is same as in front of a man. So, by going to a non-Muslim woman doctor, even for something on her chest, she'd be revealing her awrah.
    Last edited by .mirror.; 11-11-11 at 09:22 PM.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  22. #22
    umm sumaiya naila-k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    15,376
    Rep Power
    265

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus Girl View Post
    He will have a smart, knowledgeable wife who helps other women.

    What kind of patience and sacrifices will be required of him?????
    erm a wife who is not around a lot, works long hours in a stressfull job, is often on call for 48 hours at a time, may have to sleep away from the home, having to delay children until she is in her mid to late 30s due to the time reqired for training, and then the children being put in childcare etc etc. it is a lot for a relationship to handle all that.

    Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by naila-k View Post
    erm a wife who is not around a lot, works long hours in a stressfull job, is often on call for 48 hours at a time, may have to sleep away from the home, having to delay children until she is in her mid to late 30s due to the time reqired for training, and then the children being put in childcare etc etc. it is a lot for a relationship to handle all that.
    Naila and brother Mirror:

    You are both incorrect. Gynecology is actually quite lucrative because unlike specialities like cardiology, thoracic surgery, emergency medicine, etc, doctors can keep regular work hours, like 8 to 5 or 9 to 5. You are on call if you choose to have hospital privileges, but not all doctors do. Also, for many minor procedures, surgical procedures can actually be performed in the doctor's office; even day surgeries in hospitals shut down after 5 pm.

    See, these are the myths associated with muslim male mindsets. As long as these myths exist, muslim women will be criticized for pursuing these specialized fields. The reality is, women are more patient and exacting, and have far more respectable "bedside manners", than men - hence would make wonderful doctors.

    Regarding the "household chores", look around you. In many families, men and women work and their homes stay clean, their meals prepared and their children loved. Furthermore, Islam does not require that women actually get down on their hands and knees and scrub floors or brush toilets -- it suggest that women have control over the household domain. By control, they can hire assistance. As long as the job is getting done.

  24. #24
    1110010 Peacenik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    24,387
    Rep Power
    243

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Whatever happened to Muslimahs of today living the lives of the female Sahabas (ra)
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

    QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    858
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Around the world,women do face the issue pf not being able to find a female doctor/gynacologist.

    However, here in the UK there should be no excuses at all. patients are now given the option to choose from varios hospitals, so you should opt for an appointment where you can see a female.

    what I find very disturbing is male muslim gynacologists here in the UK!!!!what is the appeal, why would they train in that field knowing well it's be-hyaai...there is no shortage of female gynacologists, so they can well stay out of it!

  26. #26
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus Girl View Post
    You are both incorrect. Gynecology is actually quite lucrative because unlike specialities like cardiology, thoracic surgery, emergency medicine, etc, doctors can keep regular work hours, like 8 to 5 or 9 to 5. You are on call if you choose to have hospital privileges, but not all doctors do. Also, for many minor procedures, surgical procedures can actually be performed in the doctor's office; even day surgeries in hospitals shut down after 5 pm.
    That's good Alhamdulillah, esp. for gynecologists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus Girl View Post
    See, these are the myths associated with muslim male mindsets. As long as these myths exist, muslim women will be criticized for pursuing these specialized fields. The reality is, women are more patient and exacting, and have far more respectable "bedside manners", than men - hence would make wonderful doctors.
    I don't think it's OK to target men like this. Even sister Naila thought it would require patience from the husband. Plus, for women working in hospitals, it'd be different. They might be on-call at odd hours and they might not have full control over their schedules. So, it's not a full myth, there's some truth to it.

    Maybe, women are more patient, but I'm not sure where bedside manners came from? How does that relate to her medical profession?

    I don't doubt, however, that women would make great doctors, esp. in certain fields, like gynecology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus Girl View Post
    Regarding the "household chores", look around you. In many families, men and women work and their homes stay clean, their meals prepared and their children loved. Furthermore, Islam does not require that women actually get down on their hands and knees and scrub floors or brush toilets -- it suggest that women have control over the household domain. By control, they can hire assistance. As long as the job is getting done.
    I hope you're right. I don't personally know any families like that.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    hmm
    Lucrative -yes

    socialble hours?- hmm i dont know how the system works in your country sister, but in uk, the consultants still have to do night shifts in this speciality. i was recently speaking to a muslim brother whose a gynaecologist, and if i remember correctly he said his usual hours are around 7am to 7pm. without asking him directly (cos he might take it as an offense) i managed to elicit from him why he a "brother" went into this speciality - he said because he liked the variety of the job (medicine combined with surgery).

    most gynaeocolists are male for some reason. One of my friends, again another practising brother, is saying he want to go into this speciality too!!!, his reasoning is he wants to save lives in poor countries by helping deliver babies (because alot of deaths happen in childbirth in 3rd world countries).

  28. #28
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by yusuf. View Post
    hmm
    Lucrative -yes

    socialble hours?- hmm i dont know how the system works in your country sister, but in uk, the consultants still have to do night shifts in this speciality. i was recently speaking to a muslim brother whose a gynaecologist, and if i remember correctly he said his usual hours are around 7am to 7pm. without asking him directly (cos he might take it as an offense) i managed to elicit from him why he a "brother" went into this speciality - he said because he liked the variety of the job (medicine combined with surgery).

    most gynaeocolists are male for some reason. One of my friends, again another practising brother, is saying he want to go into this speciality too!!!, his reasoning is he wants to save lives in poor countries by helping deliver babies (because alot of deaths happen in childbirth in 3rd world countries).
    Hmmm...that's interesting.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  29. #29
    Kaffir SILURES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    14,854
    Rep Power
    383

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    would it be ok for a muslim man to go to a female doctor for a prostate exam? or genital exam?

    *****education is important but big biceps are importanter*****

    *****
    Non-Muslim
    *****



  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Salam Alaykoum,
    It is not allowed for a woman to have a male one, and vice versa. However, in the worst case it might be allowed but this means a valid reason.
    Salam Alaykoum

  31. #31
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Prostate exams are not extremely urgent, so I think he can look around until he finds a male doctor.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  32. #32
    Kaffir SILURES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    14,854
    Rep Power
    383

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Prostate exams are not extremely urgent, so I think he can look around until he finds a male doctor.
    i dont know about not extremly urgent. if you have prostate cancer the better its sorted the better the outcome, but i get what you mean. if its not a emergency then wait till you get a suitable doc.

    *****education is important but big biceps are importanter*****

    *****
    Non-Muslim
    *****



  33. #33
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    I mean, you'd have to go to the doctor first to find out that you have prostate cancer, unless there are some symptoms (I don't really know about this).
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

  34. #34
    Kaffir SILURES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    14,854
    Rep Power
    383

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    I mean, you'd have to go to the doctor first to find out that you have prostate cancer, unless there are some symptoms (I don't really know about this).
    yeah true. hope none of us get in that situation though.

    i had to turn a bloke away from our gym because he had prostate cancer that progressed into his stomach. he was doing all the big exercises, squats, deads etc and would literally collapse after each workout. i had to tell him he couldnt train there no more for his own good (and tbh he frightned me, i keep thinking he was gonna die).

    *****education is important but big biceps are importanter*****

    *****
    Non-Muslim
    *****



  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    If all the Muslim women OBs choose to not have hospital hours or perform surgeries after 5 pm, who will do the crash c-sections/deliveries, etc. in the middle of the night? Babies don't come during office hours...male OBs are needed; sorry, but it's true. With my 6 pregnancies, I did my best to always see a female; I couldn't, however, predict the circumstances of my super fast labors and deliveries, so I had to deal with the occasional male.

    We do our best.

  36. #36
    umm sumaiya naila-k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    15,376
    Rep Power
    265
    In reality if you have high risk birth requiring consultant care, in UK you don't have a choice as not all hospitals have the facilities

    Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

  37. #37
    🌛 🌛 🌛 🌛 🌛 🌛 cho09082489's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Unspecified
    Posts
    4,869
    Rep Power
    181

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    you can say you only want females and that might be ok if everything goes smoothly at a birth, but when there are complications they often bring a male in whether you like it or not, of course the most important thing is to save mother and baby

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    That's good Alhamdulillah, esp. for gynecologists.



    I don't think it's OK to target men like this. Even sister Naila thought it would require patience from the husband. Plus, for women working in hospitals, it'd be different. They might be on-call at odd hours and they might not have full control over their schedules. So, it's not a full myth, there's some truth to it.

    Maybe, women are more patient, but I'm not sure where bedside manners came from? How does that relate to her medical profession?

    I don't doubt, however, that women would make great doctors, esp. in certain fields, like gynecology.



    I hope you're right. I don't personally know any families like that.
    I guess the phrase "bedside manners" isn't used in the UK. In my neck of the woods, it refers to a doctor's manner towards his patient. Many patients find their doctors' attitude to be cold and impersonal -- not a good thing if you are sick and have questions. Also embedded in this phrase is an assumption that the doctor exhibits some pride.

    Female doctors are known to have a gentler, more patient-focused "bedside manner." They talk to their patients and make sure that their questions are answered. They make them feel at ease. They exhibit warmth. At the end of the day, medicine is a caring profession - so the people who work in it must be caring too.

    I'm not "targetting" men. The fact is, everyone has said that husbands need a lot of patience to accept that their wives will have careers especially in medicine. So I am responding to that by saying that if you examine the reality closely, that lack of patience isn't necessary. Its 2011. Women go to university. They get professional jobs. They earn money. They have babies. They read the Quran, they give zakaat, they pray salaat. They hire cleaning ladies or they ask their mothers to help out (which many do, happily) - if anything, there is a resurgence in the extended family environment of old, where grandparents play an active role in the household management of their adult children and the raising of their grandchildren.

    Perhaps, brother mirror, you are still young and don't know many muslim professional couples who are raising families. I know many. In fact, my sister is a doctor and has been for 20 years; she also has 3 children. She also practices Islam. She also cooks dinner every night, unless she is too tired in which case she makes her husband cook. Her mother in law lives with them and helps take care of the house and the kids. There is harmony in the house.

    But I know another couple where the wife stays home all day. Did not go to university. Her husband has a 9 to 5 job then goes out with his friends. He barely knows his children, because while she cooks, cleans, runs after the kids, takes them to school, picks them up from school, wipes their noses, washes dishes, does his laundry and her children's laundry, takes them to the doctor, takes heself to the doctor, etc...he is relaxing from his "long" day at work.

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Girl Female
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Quote Originally Posted by yusuf. View Post
    hmm
    Lucrative -yes

    without asking him directly (cos he might take it as an offense) i managed to elicit from him why he a "brother" went into this speciality - he said because he liked the variety of the job (medicine combined with surgery).

    most gynaeocolists are male for some reason. One of my friends, again another practising brother, is saying he want to go into this speciality too!!!, his reasoning is he wants to save lives in poor countries by helping deliver babies (because alot of deaths happen in childbirth in 3rd world countries).
    Ewe.

    You don't need to specialize in gynecology to deliver babies. Family medicine gives you that training.

    But he's a gynecologist because of the "variety"??? I'm sorry but here's a jolt of reality for you. Gynecologists examine women's vagina's and everything behind them. No more, no less. This "brother" is sick. Variety my foot. He's weird.

    Family medicine is varied. Emergency medicine is varied. But gynecology....?

    I think male muslim doctors should practice pediatrics. If he is intrested in newborns, then neonatology is a good area - they don't have to look at a woman's private parts for that.

  40. #40
    میرے دل کا نور .mirror.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Boy Male
    Posts
    41,685
    Rep Power
    640

    Re: Is it OK for a Muslim woman to see a male Gynecologist??

    Allah knows best his intentions. I don't think it's right to say he wanted to look at women or that he's sick.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com

MPADC.com Islamic Web Hosting | Muslim Ad Network | Islamic Nasheeds | Islamic Mobile App Developement Android & iPhone
Omar Esa Nasheed Artist
| Omar Esa Nasheeds | Islamic Web Hosting : Muslim Designers : Nasheeds : Labbayk Nasheeds : silk route jilbab: Hijab: : Web Islamic Newsletter: Islamic Web Hosting

Hijabs Online | Hijabs | Hijab Shop | Hijab Shop | Scarves | Scarves for women | Ladies Scarves : Treasure of The Scholars