Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

American cities with large Muslim populations

Assalaam Alikum. I'm planning to leave the state of Florida after college in a few years and I'm trying to look for a place to settle down in. Now, I hate cold weather so I don't want any place that has snow.

I would really prefer to stay in America because I'm so familiar with American language and customs and everything. What are some good American cities with large Muslim populations that don't get snow?

And also have a good economy.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Re: American cities with large Muslim populations

houston, san diego
    Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
    Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Wa laykum asalam

Theres alot of places,L A, Sacramento, San francisco, texas has houston, palestine and im sure lots and lots of many other cities.
    Doesnt miami have lots of muslims there?
    Last edited by *aisha*; 08-11-11 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nousername View Post
    houston, san diego
    I've thought of Houston, but now I'm intrigued about San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by *Aisha View Post
    Wa laykum asalam

Theres alot of places,L A, Sacramento, San francisco, texas has houston, palestine and im sure lots and lots of many other cities.
    Doesnt miami have lots of muslims there?
    San Francisco is my dream city to live in, but I hear it's extremely expensive.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Yea it is expensive studios cost from $900 or 1000 bucks but it is a beautiful quiet place,very nice weather. San diego is nice right by mexico San jose is nice there is lots of muslims too.
    Last edited by *aisha*; 08-11-11 at 07:07 AM.

Philly & Chicago both have A LOT of Muslims. Whether or not i'd classify the cities as 'good to live in' is a whole other story...

Dearborn, MI is famous for being majority Muslim - though someone posted recently it's apparently shia. I'm sure there are Sunni's there... allahu alim.

I'd imagine the Bay Area has a pretty decent Muslim population as well - as the sister above had mentioned in regards to San Jose. Hamza Yusuf's academic 'Zaytuna Institute' is over near Oakland, as well. I did a fair amount of industrial work in that area a few years back and thought it was a great place. Cupertino, San Jose, Oakland, Fairfield, Vallejo, Benecia, etc.
    Last edited by DAAR84; 08-11-11 at 11:49 AM.

Odan

Depends on your definition of Large Muslim population.

I've lived in many of the cities in California and it's kinda similar to Florida but without that horrible humid weather you guys get.

San Diego is very nice and there are some great brothers down there who are very active on the dawah. It can be expensive though. I would recommend Masjid Al Ribat in that area. Plus it probably has the best weather in the country.

LA has many Muslims as well. I really enjoyed how diverse the Muslim population was in southern California compared to how it is in some parts of the midwest.

Sacramento is small and affordable. The Muslim population is growing too.

New York has a lot of Muslims + very diverse, but don't go to NY. Most expensive place to live.

Michigan has a lot of Muslims, but I'm not sure if it gets snow or not.

Generally, a lot of big cities have Muslims, as far as I know. So, you should look to affordability and the environment.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    San Francisco is my dream city to live in, but I hear it's extremely expensive.
    Is that where there's loads of gay pride marches ?
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

sister

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post

Michigan has a lot of Muslims, but I'm not sure if it gets snow or not.
    Michigan is pretty much snow capital of the country. There are a few states that are worse, but not many. Detroit metro is not quite as bad, but compared to say Chicago, or other near by cities it is.

Dearborn is mostly Shia but there are many sunni masjids in the area and through out detroit metro. But it is no secret detroit is not the most desirable place to live. Not only is it depressing, it is really segregated and racist. It is pretty cheap though, if you can find a job. Many of the more high cost of living areas have more opportunities to make money, so it evens out.

If you want to stay in the south, what about staying in florida and living in tampa? They have tons of Muslims there.... halal soul food Atalanta has a healthy Muslim community. I am not that familiar with the south, really but those are some places I've been that had nice communities. I am imagining most bigger cities have a lot of Muslims. I know Houston does. There are also some smaller cities that do, but I am more familiar with the north.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacenik View Post
    Is that where there's loads of gay pride marches ?
    There is, but it's a very liberal place. I don't have to worry about a redneck with American flags on his Ford truck trying to shoot me in San Francisco instead of Florida or Georgia.

Besides, I think it's a beautiful city.

San fran is very liberal,you wont get harrassed their,many chinese live there and lots of muslims,arabs tons of them and never hear anything bad about it either. Plus I love the roads,like little roller coasters

sister

So beautiful, I want to go to California

On Break

San Diego: Very nice, beautiful weather, beach, open-minded people, lots of culture, (as another sister said) close to Mexico, good food.

San Francisco: Rad! All of the above that San Diego has, minus Mexico. I've heard that it is not as expensive there as it once was. My sister has a lot of friends there and visits frequently, and she has mentioned that the housing prices have gone down. You'd have to look into it... maybe check Craigslist.

Sacramento: It's a quiet, mid-sized city, close to SF (which is nice to day trip), fairly affordable, has the river if you like water sports. I lived there for a summer. It gets really hot there, so just keep that in mind. I have mixed feelings about the place... part of me likes it and part of me doesn't. I think it's a bit too inland and I felt kind of a bad vibe there, I don't know. Definitely, check it out.

Texas: I have no idea. I've never been there. People say Austin is cool, but not sure about the Muslim community there. There is just something about the thought of living in Texas that turns me off.

Tennessee: I lived down in TN for a long time. If you're interested, I can give more details, but I think you want to move out of that region totally.

Some places with snow, even though I know you said you're not looking for that:

Chicago: Lots of shops, good food, activities for Muslim, lots of culture, bad weather, and I felt the place had a really bad vibe. It's convenient, yes, but I felt creeped out living there.

Minneapolis: Very nice city, not as much as Chicago has to offer, but definitely nice and affordable; however, the weather is bad.

Michigan: I've never been there. I know several people from Dearborn. It sounds nice, but keep in mind there are a lot of Shia Muslims there and also bad weather.

So, all in all, I'm partial to Cali. I grew up in Newport Beach, so I'm partial to that area. The best advice I can give is the closer you are to the beach, the nicer the neighborhoods generally are (and more expensive, too). So, San Diego or San Francisco and check out Sacramento .