Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

are Muslims allowed to take pictures?

:

heard we can, heard we can't. just want some clarification.

Re: are Muslims allowed to take pictures?

There's a differnce of opinion. But, to be on the safe side, please do not take pictures of living things.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Majority of scholars/people say that it is okay to take pictures of living things/humans ect ..as in digital photographs but you can't keep them in the house which would mean like just save them on-line so thats what i did end up doing....

↑Majority allow it or disallow it?
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post

There's a differnce of opinion. But, to be on the safe side, please do not take pictures of living things.
    I think what you mean is you can't take photos of living animals or humans. You can take pics of other living things like trees etc...
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

Yeah, living things with souls.

though.

Account Disabled

for your quick replies why exactly can't you take photos of living things? is there a reason or is it simply not allowed...?

There are many hadiths on it:

Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah, may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

'Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without levelling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa'i; this is the version narrated by al-Nisaa'i).

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other

Account Disabled

There are many hadiths on it:

Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah, may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

'Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without levelling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa'i; this is the version narrated by al-Nisaa'i).

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other
    so i'm guessing this goes for artists too, as in people who paint and draw things? i'm an artist lol!

Yeah, more so for them.

Account Disabled

Yeah, more so for them.
    ok

www.searching-islam.com Perseveranze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belle View Post
    ok
    Can still be an artist without drawing living creatures.
    A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze View Post
    Can still be an artist without drawing living creatures.
    yeah i know, guess i'll just have to be careful

I heard Muslims cannot draw living things or take pictures of living things, why is that?

Because number 1) Prophet Muhammad explicitly forbade us from doing so, and whatever he forbid us from doing, we don't do that. 2) Because creating living things w/ soul is only a right that Allah has, and no one should do so, even if it's on a paper or made out of rocks.

Account Disabled

:

heard we can, heard we can't. just want some clarification.
    heard from who?

Because number 1) Prophet Muhammad explicitly forbade us from doing so, and whatever he forbid us from doing, we don't do that. 2) Because creating living things w/ soul is only a right that Allah has, and no one should do so, even if it's on a paper or made out of rocks.
    But drawing a portrait of a famous person isn't creating anyone? You're just drawing what a person looks like.

Account Disabled

If we can't take photographs then we can't take videos also, which also falls in the category of trying to recreate the creation of Allah in a photo or video form. We're recreating a creature of Allah by using digital pixels to recreate it. I don't hold this belief however. Was wondering if it is actually that though. Does this mean those thousands of Ulema who have recorded videos and have gotten pictures taken off them in the wrong for doing so?
    Last edited by Uthmani; 08-10-11 at 08:32 PM.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by ibn Battuta View Post
    heard from who?
    i just got vague yes and nos from friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyIslam View Post
    But drawing a portrait of a famous person isn't creating anyone? You're just drawing what a person looks like.
    It is creating the likeness that Allah had created, is it not?

You can use the words drawing, painting, scuplting, etc., but, they all are essentially creating.

It is creating the likeness that Allah had created, is it not?

You can use the words drawing, painting, scuplting, etc., but, they all are essentially creating.
    What about scientists who make robots? Is that creating, even though robots don't have souls?

This is a very subjective topic.

Wow, that's very specific.

Account Disabled

You do realise that making images is forbidden in your bible too.

Account Disabled

why is it haraam?

i'll get a scholar to make it halaal. We can get fatwas to make everything halaal so why is taking pictures haraam since they arent even drawn but instead 'captured'

Account Disabled

i just got vague yes and nos from friends and family.
    i suggest you hit the library and do your own research

dont rely on friends,sheikhs and family

What about scientists who make robots? Is that creating, even though robots don't have souls?

This is a very subjective topic.
    But surely it's the intention behind such human 'feats' ? - if one creates a robotic mechanism for medicinal purposes, or for rescuing people trapped somewhere, how can that be deemed haraam ?

Quote Originally Posted by abuafro View Post
    why is taking pictures haraam since they arent even drawn but instead 'captured'
    I never looked at it that way.
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

One doesn't have to necessarily make it identical to human for rescue or medical purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hafsah1 View Post
    You do realise that making images is forbidden in your bible too.
    If it is, it must be in the Old Testament. The New Testament should rectify this.

Of course, I understand the purpose of this rule: you shouldn't be trying to play God. I'm sure you guys are against stem cell research and the like as well. But as religious humans, we should be able to discern against what is moral and what is not.

For example, is creating an artificial hand for someone who has lost a limb against God's will? I really don't think so.

Artificial hands don't have souls.

Also, creating images for necessities, like for medical purposes, is allowed.

hmm

Photograhs are more a form of someones reflection than they are drawings.

Prophet SAW use to carry around a mirror with him.

Most of the hadiths speak of creating your own version or re creating the forms of another, with photos, your merely capturing what is already created and shaped, your not doing anything except capturing it.
    And he is the son of Ithel Goch ap Cynwrig ap Iorwerth Ddu ap Cynwrig Ddewis Herod ap Cywryd!

There's a diff. of opinion, on capturing the reflection or actually creating the image by camera.