Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Saying Rest in peace fora non-Muslim

Shaykh `Abdul Wahhab al-Turayri has said regarding bidding condolences (تعزية) to the non-Muslims:

نعم يجوز تعزيتهم عند الوفاة، وعيادتهم عند المرض، ومواساتهم عند المصيبة...وينبّه على أن المسلم إذا فعل ذلك فعليه أن ينوي بذلك دعوتهم، وتأليف قلوبهم على الإسلام، ويدعوهم بالطريقة المناسبة في الوقت المناسب.

كما ينبّه أيضاً على أنه في حالة التعزية لا يدعى لميّتهم بالمغفرة وبالرحمة أو الجنة، لقوله تعالى : ((ما كان للنبي والذين آمنوا أن يستغفروا للمشركين ولو كانوا أُولي قربى)) وإنما يدعى لهم بما يناسب حالهم بحثهم على الصبر، ومواساتهم، وتذكيرهم بأن هذه سنّة الله في خلقه . والله أعلم .

"It is it important to remember that if a Muslim does as mentioned then he must intend it for the purpose of Da`wah to them, softening the hearts towards Islam, and TO CALL THEM IN A MANNER THAT IS APPROPRIATE AND AT A TIME THAT IS APPROPRIATE.

It is also important to remember that when giving condolences that they are careful not to to supplicate Forgiveness, Mercy, or Paradise for their dead. This is due to the verse of Allah:

"It is not appropriate for the Prophet and those who believe that they should plead forgiveness for the polytheists even if they be of kin."

Instead, he should pray for them in manner that is appropriate for the situation, encouraging them to remain patient, and comforting them and reminding them that this is the Sunnah of Allah in regarding to His creation, and Allah knows best."
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Orson Welles

Re: Saying Rest in peace fora non-Muslim

taken from another thread

Reminder by Abu Eesa:

I see this saying of "Rest In Peace" for the death of a non-Muslim as one of the major fitnahs of our time: the "need" for Muslims to want to "fit in", or their weakness with respect to their own 'aqidah, or their ignorance of what Allah jalla wa 'ala teaches us in the Qur'an, or their ignorance of the Seerah of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

To say RIP or Rest in Peace was originally a Catholic du'a for their dead, and stems from the latin "May his soul and the souls of all the departed faithful by God's mercy rest in peace." and indicates a request to God to allow that soul peace in the afterlife. This original meaning doesn't change just because now every Tom, **** and Patel uses the term for anyone who dies. It's meaning is it's meaning because it is never used for anything outside of showing sorry over someone's death, and Muslims do the same for those souls who deserve such a du'a i.e. Believers.

The issue is that Muslims are strictly prohibited for making such a du'a for someone who dies upon kufr (Steve Jobs was a Buddhist and we judge upon the apparent, not dream about the hidden or make extravagant irrational connections between him and his Muslim father). This is a matter of consensus amongst the scholars, because Allah forbade His Prophet from doing the same as He forbade Sayyidina Ibrahim the same, and He said in the Qur'an, "And the intercession of the Intercessors will not benefit them" and He said, "Not even if you seek forgiveness for them seventy times" and He said, "Verily, those who disbelieve and die, and they are still disbelievers then the curse of Allah, the Angels and all of mankind is upon them" and He says, "Whoever takes partners alongside Allah then of a surety Allah has made Paradise impossible/impermissible for him and his abode shall be the Fire" and so many more evidences.

And any argument that "we don't intend any of that by saying RIP, we're just being polite/expressing our sadness" is just ridiculous and indeed shows that ignorance I mentioned above of what people will justify to themselves just to fit in. RIP will always mean that you wish peace for a non-Muslim when Allah jalla wa 'ala has decided otherwise. DECIDED that is (based upon their death) not something up in the air or not.

Of course, this is after their death. Whilst they are alive, we can desire and seek guidance for them and wish and request that their souls do indeed rest in peace by accepting the rights due to the One true God whilst they are still alive. And of course we can and should show sadness and regret for the loss of our loved ones or admired ones, whatever their religion. But don't lose YOURS over that loss. That's all.

Wallahu a'lam. A reminder for myself and all others.

AE
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

Better to simply say: "I'm sorry for your loss" or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMubarak View Post
    taken from another thread

Reminder by Abu Eesa:
    Abu Eesa's argument is poor.

1). To suggest that Muslims are trying to 'fit in' by sending their condolences to a man on social networking sites populated by billions of users is the definition of gasping for straws. What does that make the millions of Muslims who sign up for internet forums, Twitter, Facebook, e-mail, etc. other than people who simply want to connect with the rest of the world?

2). To claim that people who say 'rest in peace' are ignoring the Seerah is just another example of the high-minded rhetoric armature self-anointed u'lema use to belittle others. Their strategy seems to be two-tired: first, claim they know nothing about the Sunnah. Second, if they cite specific references, claim they are misrepresenting them. The Prophet Muhammed (S) actually stood up to show his respect for a funeral procession for a deceased Jew, but I guess even our Prophet (S) does not meet the standards of our esteemed correctors of faith.

3). Citing old Catholic tradition to nullify what is a common statement of condolence in English speaking cultures is irrelevant as Sujud itself existed amongst idolators long before the birth of Abraham. Did the Prophet (peace be upon him) say, "Actions are judged by what they meant 1000 years ago in Timbuktu" or did he say "Actions are judged by intentions"?

4). If someone intends by saying "RIP" a way of comfortining the non-Muslims at a time of distress and loss as a means of softening their hearts towards the Muslims then this is NOT any travesty of Islam. When a non-Muslim friend loses a loved one I say, "You will all be in my prayers" intending that I will pray for their guidance to the Truth, that they not die without Iman. Yet, they can interpret it in a way that softens their hearts and brings them comfort. There is no harm in that. When I say "Rest in peace" I do seriously hope the grave goes unrazed and undisturbed. There is no harm in that. Yet, the benefit in solidarity with the non-Muslims when they hear us sympathizing with them is IMMEASURABLE.

5) Furthermore, linguistically "Rest in Peace" simply can NOT mean Maghfirah since on the Day of Judgment no one will be resting!
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Orson Welles

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faisal.r View Post
    Better to simply say: "I'm sorry for your loss" or something to that effect.
    ditto,

and We cannot Pray for the Kuffar/Mushriks as per the Command of Allah ta'ala,

Al-Quran, Chapter 9, Surah At-Tawbah
    --------------------------------------------
    Ayah 113 : It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allah's Forgiveness for the Mushrikun (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief).

It would also be Illogical to do so, as we believe that they Will Never be forgiven, and Jahannam is their Eternal Abode.

Al-Quran, Chapter 2, Surah Baqarah
    ------------------------------------
    Ayah 161 : Verily, those who disbelieve, and die while they are disbelievers, it is they on whom is the Curse of Allah and of the angels and of mankind, combined.

Ayah 162 : They will abide therein (under the curse in Hell), their punishment will neither be lightened, nor will they be reprieved.

I really can't understand the extent to which certain Muslims will go to scratch the backs of the Kuffar/Mushriks, instead of being Honest ...

"Rest in Peace" except that we believe that the Dead among the Non-Muslims are facing Azaab in the Kabr and will face even more in the Akhira ...

Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 06-10-11 at 09:47 PM.
    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

Quote Originally Posted by RazielTemp View Post
    ditto,

and We cannot Pray for the Kuffar/Mushriks as per the Command of Allah ta'ala,

It would also be Illogical to do so, as we believe that they Will Never be forgiven, and Jahannam is their Eternal Abode.

I really can't understand the extent to which certain Muslims will go to scratch the backs of the Kuffar/Mushriks, instead of being Honest ...

Please don't use my thread to post dumb comments. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
    Please don't use my thread to post dumb comments. Thanks.
    I have already Disproved your ignorant Post,

read my post I cited Ayah's of the Quran.

regards

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

You didn't disprove anything. You blithely ignore everything that's argued and then claim that people who say rest in peace are pleasing the kuffar.

Anyone who thinks this is about proving or disproving anything is just a acne-prone teen looking to compete on the internet. Sorry, Islam is not about competing nor is it about accusing Muslims of trying to please Kuffar.

If you hate non-Muslims so much, move abroad to a Muslim nation and stop belittling other Muslims because they don't share your warped views on how society should function.

It's amazing that no renowned scholar has spoken about this issue, yet it becomes one on Ummah.com.

Suggests there is a rampant superiority complex on this site.

Abu Eesa's argument is poor.!
    what did the prophet say after abu talib died?
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

You didn't disprove anything. You blithely ignore everything that's argued and then claim that people who say rest in peace are pleasing the kuffar.

Anyone who thinks this is about proving or disproving anything is just a acne-prone teen looking to compete on the internet. Sorry, Islam is not about competing nor is it about accusing Muslims of trying to please Kuffar.

If you hate non-Muslims so much, move abroad to a Muslim nation and stop belittling other Muslims because they don't share your warped views on how society should function.
    I don't have time to entertain your Rants ...

this is about speaking the Truth and Not being a Hypocrite ...

a Muslim is Not permitted to Pray for the Kuffar/Mushriks who have Died, as per the Command of Allah ta'ala,

Al-Quran, Chapter 9, Surah At-Tawbah
    --------------------------------------------
    Ayah 113 : It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allah's Forgiveness for the Mushrikun (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief).

Al-Quran, Chapter 2, Surah Baqarah
    ------------------------------------
    Ayah 161 : Verily, those who disbelieve, and die while they are disbelievers, it is they on whom is the Curse of Allah and of the angels and of mankind, combined.

Ayah 162 : They will abide therein (under the curse in Hell), their punishment will neither be lightened, nor will they be reprieved.

the Evidence is Explicitly Clear,

No renowned Scholar has spoken on this Issue?

lol,

regards

Ameen

It's amazing that no renowned scholar has spoken about this issue, yet it becomes one on Ummah.com.

Again you Display your Ignorance ...

Al-Quran, Surah Al Bayinaah, Chapter 98
    ----------------------------------------
    Ayah 7 : Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Quran and Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikun will abide in the Fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures.

Ayah 8 : Verily, those who believe [in the Oneness of Allah, and in His Messenger Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) including all obligations ordered by Islam] and do righteous good deeds, they are the best of creatures.

according to your profile you have been on the Forum Since 2004? yet you have learn't so little ...

May Allah ta'ala give you Hedaya ...

regards

Ameen

Account Disabled

Bro your thread will get closed down just like all of mine ISLAMIC ones have been shut down. You are not allowed to air your own views, or against the moderators. And also you have to agree to there aqeedah and there scholars.

“One that is relieved and one that is relieved from: the believing servant is relieved of the stress and pain of this World onto the Mercy of Allaah – the Exalted. And the sinful servant relieves the (righteous) servants and lands and plants and animals of his presence.” (Saheeh al-Jaami as-Sagheer wa Ziyaadatuh)

Rasulullah peace be upon him said : "Whenever you pass by the grave of a disbeliever, give him the tidings of the Fire"

in Saheeh al jaami #3165

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir_85 View Post
    Bro your thread will get closed down just like all of mine ISLAMIC ones have been shut down. You are not allowed to air your own views, or against the moderators. And also you have to agree to there aqeedah and there scholars.
    The Disagreement by Marwan is against Ayah's of the Quran here ...

please read the previous posts cited ...

Ameen

Quote Originally Posted by vicious L View Post
    “One that is relieved and one that is relieved from: the believing servant is relieved of the stress and pain of this World onto the Mercy of Allaah – the Exalted. And the sinful servant relieves the (righteous) servants and lands and plants and animals of his presence.” (Saheeh al-Jaami as-Sagheer wa Ziyaadatuh)

Rasulullah peace be upon him said : "Whenever you pass by the grave of a disbeliever, give him the tidings of the Fire"

in Saheeh al jaami #3165
    whats the Correct way to say this in Arabic Akhi, ?

Ameen

Marwan have you left Islam or are you Muslim?

Ameen

whats the Correct way to say this in Arabic Akhi, ?
    Well akhi I am ambarrased to say it but I don't speak Arabic, I started learning but laid it off, I should return to learning it

Well you can ask a sheikh how to give tidings of Hell fire to the kafir in Arabic, the Hadith is classified Saheeh by Sheikh albani R.A.

Marwan have you left Islam or are you Muslim?
    What would make you even ask such a question?

Abu Mubarak said he has left Islam in the other thread. I think he has some explaining to do.
    If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

Why would you say it? wouldn't you be lying because if they're not Muslim and have reached puberty they're in the fire, so no point in lying just to make someone feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Muslim First View Post
    Why would you say it? wouldn't you be lying because if they're not Muslim and have reached puberty they're in the fire, so no point in lying just to make someone feel better.
    Lying to who about what?

And that's also an incorrect statement. It would depend if they received the proper true message of Islam.
    If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

Some Muslims here have a serious problem when it comes to how the kuffar think of them

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.” Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh, 2167 from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.*

Quote Originally Posted by Fais View Post
    Lying to who about what?

And that's also an incorrect statement. It would depend if they received the proper true message of Islam.
    Muslims know what happens to non Muslims once they die, so how can you say rip when they're being tortured in the grave?

So Marwan I guess it's ok for me to say "merry Christmas" and "happy Easter" as well since I don't intend on celebrating it and I'm just trying to "soften" their hearts to Islam?
    "O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion, Allah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the Way of Allah, and never afraid of the blame of the blamers. That is the Grace of Allah which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures' needs, All-Knower."[al-Ma'ida: 54]

الله مولانا ولا مولى لهم Abu Suleiman's Avatar

If you don't like it here, leave. Don't complain about it in every thread. So a moderator deleted your post and shut down your thread. Big deal, grow a thick skin and get over it.

And the bolded statement is a pretty ignorant statement since the moderators here don't come from one school of thought. I think between them they probably cover most of the major branches of Islam.

Odan

The person who is dead may or may not be in peace, regardless it is quite ironic to see that it has to disturb the peace on here!

Chillin' with my axe

Marwan, your counter argument was below par.

Your Barelwi Islamic ones ?

Do you agree with saying rest in peace to a non-muslim ?

Since you insist on doing taqleed of your Scholars why dont you ask your scholars if it is permitted to say RIP to non-muslims ?
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Quote Originally Posted by Vishnu View Post
    The person who is dead may or may not be in peace, regardless it is quite ironic to see that it has to disturb the peace on here!
    Peace between Muslims is disturbed when we start referring to non-muslim sources over a matter which has already been clearly defined in the Quran and hadith .

I

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
    Peace between Muslims is disturbed when we start referring to non-muslim sources over a matter which has already been clearly defined in the Quran and hadith .
    I see that and I also see that this matter is just one of the minor reason and that there are a lot many major ways peace between Muslims can be disturbed. Never thought peace can be so fragile and could be achieved only through an extreme act of balancing.

I see that and I also see that this matter is just one of the minor reason and that there are a lot many major ways peace between Muslims can be disturbed. Never thought peace can be so fragile and could be achieved only through an extreme act of balancing.
    This is infact the major reason . I would like you to name atleast five to ten minor and major reasons which causes conflicts between Muslims .

I am curious to know them :-) .

I

Odan

This is infact the major reason . I would like you to name atleast five to ten minor and major reasons which causes conflicts between Muslims .

I am curious to know them :-) .
    You are not joking, are you?

You are not joking, are you?
    Seriously , I am interested in knowing the diff causes of conflicts between Muslims .

May be you have noticed something which we missed .

I

Odan

Seriously , I am interested in knowing the diff causes of conflicts between Muslims .

May be you have noticed something which we missed .
    OK, since I think you like to pretend, I am also pretending that I believe you!

I am also beginning to think that you would say true Islam rejects one of these opposing ideas and hence there is no dispute among Muslims

Nationalism
    Shia vs Sunni
    Acts of bidah in worship
    Secularism
    Living in west vs making a hijra
    Muslim womens' preference to monogamous marriages
    Whether al Shabab is wrong or not in killing 70 random folks
    Asking someone if he is a Muslim

I can go on listing but what is the point?

Well we do not as muslims really send peace upon anyone except the prophets, the most deserving being the last messenger peace be upon him.

I mean if someone heard of the message and didn't accept islam, they aren't going to be resting in peace =/.
    If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
    There is a possibility of a female using this account as well!

OK, since I think you like to pretend, I am also pretending that I believe you!

I am also beginning to think that you would say true Islam rejects one of these opposing ideas and hence there is no dispute among Muslims

Nationalism
    Shia vs Sunni
    Acts of bidah in worship
    Secularism
    Living in west vs making a hijra
    Muslim womens' preference to monogamous marriages
    Whether al Shabab is wrong or not in killing 70 random folks
    Asking someone if he is a Muslim

I can go on listing but what is the point?
    As I mentioned earlier the major reason is moving away from the Quran and Sunnah and I am right .

All of those issues have been clearly dealt with in the Quran and Hadith .

I

You mentioned the Prophet standing for a deceased Jew - Showing respect does not mean you have to wish a kuffar rests peacefully in his grave.

Hoping that a kuffars grave goes undisturbed?? Seriously?
    Last edited by sapphire_blue; 07-10-11 at 06:49 AM.

Muhammad couldn't even make dua for his own parents so.......

in Saheeh al jaami #3165

does that mean you walk past a kafair grave and basicaly say burn in hell?

Quote Originally Posted by al-siddiq View Post
    Well we do not as muslims really send peace upon anyone except the prophets, the most deserving being the last messenger peace be upon him.

I mean if someone heard of the message and didn't accept islam, they aren't going to be resting in peace =/.

say for instance the only "contact" with muslims is through such images as ken bigleys beheading by muslims, the twin towers attack, threads such as this and others on here that say basicaly you should hate the kuffar would they still be classed as having been given the message of islam?

*****education is important but big biceps are importanter*****

*****KAFFIR

Account Disabled

Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.
    why don't you try that out on the street, vic ?