Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

LIVE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS with Abu Mus'ab Thursday 14th August 2014 @ 8:30PM GMT (9:30PM BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Icon11 Hadith...Eating onions

Assalamualaikum,

Dear brothers and sisters please excuse me for I am new to the forum and seek guidance in order to fulfill the sunnahs of our beloved prophet pbuh and gain mercy from Allah.

I am of an indian origin and it is usual custom for us to cook curry with onions and garlic. The Onions and garlic are usually fried until soft and vegetables, meat or fish are then added. We do not eat raw onions except as salad. My worry is in regards to the following Hadith regarding cleanliness:

"Whoever eats onions, garlic or leeks should not approach our mosque, because whatever offends the sons of Adam may offend the angels. (Muslim).

The Prophet (pbuh) banned those who had eaten these pungent vegetables from coming anywhere near the mosque, lest the people and the angels be offended by their bad breath, but these smells pale into insignificance beside the stench of dirty clothes, filthy socks, unwashed bodies and unclean mouths that emanates from some careless and unkempt individuals who offend others in any gathering.

MY WORRY IS AM I AMONG THE ONES WHO THE PROPHET IS ADDRESSING THIS TO AS ONION AND GARLIC ARE USED IN PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING NOWADAYS

Odan

Re: Hadith...Eating onions

Islam encourages hygiene, and the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم used to use the miswak to clean his teeth several times a day. It is reprehensible to be with people when one smells bad, or go to the mosque. You can avoid eating onion, garlic or leeks right before going to mosque right? Is not about food including them as in cooking, by being used in foods, these vegetables lose most of their smell. And just make sure you clean your mouth, brush your tooth, use miswak.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Re: Hadith...Eating onions

Jazakalla Hayatto for your response.
    I was under the impression that our prophet pbuh was mentioning eating the veg as raw before entering the mosque. I am aware of the sunna of using miswak before each prayer ie before wudu.

I do not eat anything which contains raw onions before going to the mosque although 99% of our currys contain onions and garlic. The question is whether one was lunch/dinner before or after prayer.

To be on the safe side and it is probably better to pray before having meals.