Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

LIVE Arabic Classes with Abu Mus'ab Wednesday 8:30PM GMT (9:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

+ Reply to Thread
    kostageas
    Guests

Intentionally not fasting

Salams.

I read somewhere that if you intentionally break your fast, or don't fast early you have to fast two consecutive months to make it up. I have calculated that since my shahadah I have intentionally missed 45 days of fasting. That adds up to 90 months to make up (2,700 days) which is nearly 8 years. Is this true? Do I really have to fast all that to make up my 45 days missed?

Daydreamer

Re: Intentionally not fasting

salaams brother, inshaAllah someone will be able to give you evidence as to what you actually have to now fast. However I do know that you can't in reality 'make it up' based on the following hadith:
    Abu Huraira related that the Prophet of Allah (peace be upon him) said: If anyone omits his fast even for one day in Ramadan without a concession or without being ill, then if he were to fast for the rest of his life he could not make up for it (Bukhari).
    This is to show us the severity of missing a fast.

Surely you had a reason for not fasting?
    respect refugees

he was a new muslim and his iman wasnt that strong yet? is that understandable? you know how people take it in steps, first establishing prayer, then wearing hijab etc, i think he missed the fasts as he was still in that process

Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

metoo
    Guests

i have also gone through same things.. i have not broken any fasts other than 1 or two very long ago.. but have skipped a lot of fasts... me too would like to hear about both cases.

thanks

kostageas
    Guests

2/3 of that was when I didn't want to be Muslim anymore because it was too hard to pray and fast etc.

1/3 was just because I didn't want to fast, no other reason.

Odan

Asalamu Alaikum,

There might be a difference of opinion regarding this issue but the opinion that I am familiar with is that you have to repent. You are not required to fast for two months straight.

This fatwa might help:
    Share |
    I am a young woman of 25 years of age. From the time I was young until I was 21 years old, I did not fast or pray because I was lazy. My parents advised me to fast and pray but I did not pay any attention to them. What do I have to do, knowing that that Allaah has guided me, and now I fast and I regret what is past?

Praise be to Allaah.

Repentance wipes out whatever came before. You have to regret what you did, be determined not to repeat it, be sincere in your worship, do lots of naafil acts of worship such as praying naafil prayers night and day and observing voluntary fasts, read Qur’aan and make du’aa’. Allaah accepts the repentance of His slaves and forgives their bad deeds.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz
    Wallahu Aalim

Msamem
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Excuse_me View Post
    Asalamu Alaikum,

There might be a difference of opinion regarding this issue but the opinion that I am familiar with is that you have to repent. You are not required to fast for two months straight.

This fatwa might help:

Wallahu Aalim
    Funny how they say if you intentionally not fast you can repent...but if a woman is pregnant and breastfeeding consecutively for 5 years, 10 years, she has to make them up. What a joke. This is the reason I'm so turned off from Fatwas and fatwa sites. Everyone gives their own thought and opinion whatever they feel like saying. Those who are guilty not fast sinning from being lazy, don't have to make it up, but women who are doing Jihad by being pregnant and breastfeeding, have to make up those 10 years? :rollseyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Msamem View Post
    Funny how they say if you intentionally not fast you can repent...but if a woman is pregnant and breastfeeding consecutively for 5 years, 10 years, she has to make them up. What a joke. This is the reason I'm so turned off from Fatwas and fatwa sites. Everyone gives their own thought and opinion whatever they feel like saying. Those who are guilty not fast sinning from being lazy, don't have to make it up, but women who are doing Jihad by being pregnant and breastfeeding, have to make up those 10 years? :rollseyes:
    Use common sense, who is in a worse position? One who intentionally missed the fasts or one who couldnt fast due to pregnancy? The womwn ahs the chance to make up the fast, why do you think fasting is a bad thing? Its a chance to gain back the reward.

This is why laypeople should not make their own fataawa

kostageas
    Guests

I will make it up if required . . . it's just a little daunting to have to fast for 8 years for 45 days of not fasting . . .

I'll try to find a scholar to ask.

The Original Green One Grotbags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kostageas View Post
    . . .

I'll try to find a scholar to ask.
    The above would advisable for such a question.

Grotbags

Account Disabled

I agree with you. If this scholar was really a scholar then he should have some basis for his fatwa from the Holy Quran rather than saying that it is his own opinion. What good is an opinion if it is wrong? Its right because he is a scholar? I don't see why people fear these scholars as they should fear Allah. The classical scholars were guided but most of these modern ones don't post references for what they say. Proof is needed for something to be fact.

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Haseeb123 View Post
    I agree with you. If this scholar was really a scholar then he should have some basis for his fatwa from the Holy Quran rather than saying that it is his own opinion. What good is an opinion if it is wrong? Its right because he is a scholar? I don't see why people fear these scholars as they should fear Allah. The classical scholars were guided but most of these modern ones don't post references for what they say. Proof is needed for something to be fact.
    Asalamu Alaikum,

I dont believe he spoke from his desires/own opinion. He probably used this hadith as his proof:
    Abu Huraira related that Rasulullah said: If anyone omits his fast even for one day in Ramadan without a concession or without being ill, then if he were to fast for the rest of his life he could not make up for it (Bukhari).
    Lets try to not bash Scholars insha'Allah.

Quote Originally Posted by kostageas View Post
    Salams.

I read somewhere that if you intentionally break your fast, or don't fast early you have to fast two consecutive months to make it up. I have calculated that since my shahadah I have intentionally missed 45 days of fasting. That adds up to 90 months to make up (2,700 days) which is nearly 8 years. Is this true? Do I really have to fast all that to make up my 45 days missed?
    I shall ask and confirm from an `Aalim [scholar].
    Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
    فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Msamem
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by ImaMuslim View Post
    Use common sense, who is in a worse position? One who intentionally missed the fasts or one who couldnt fast due to pregnancy? The womwn ahs the chance to make up the fast, why do you think fasting is a bad thing? Its a chance to gain back the reward.

Bad thing? Because it's not in women's control. Being pregnant is almost equal to 1 year and you have to breastfeed for 2 years if you are able to. That takes out a total of 3 ramadans. Most women end up pregnant again and again. 3 years per child = 12 years for 4 children. You really think it's easy to make up 360 fasts? Plus the ramadan that is coming up after you've stopped having kids/bfeeding....

One who intentionally MISSED fasts should make them up of course! They are guilty of missing them. A woman is not guilty because she cannot fast in most cases. Use your head.

Msamem
    Guests

Besides, you can die within those times, that's like you're dead without ever fasting. Thank god for hadiths that say you can feed people if you are sick, old and pregnant and make up your fasts that way. I wonder how you would feel if you had to make up 5-12 years of fasts. Put your money where your mouth is.

Msamem
    Guests

And I never tried to give a fatwa, I said it's funny how these Scholars make up their own rules when there are clear-cut hadiths on fasting for women who are pregnant or suckling but they still say they should make them up...and then a person who intentionally missed fasts has an option to repent and never make up fasts? What a joke. Where is the proof from Islam for this again???

Unregistered85
    Guests

And I never tried to give a fatwa, I said it's funny how these Scholars make up their own rules when there are clear-cut hadiths on fasting for women who are pregnant or suckling but they still say they should make them up...and then a person who intentionally missed fasts has an option to repent and never make up fasts? What a joke. Where is the proof from Islam for this again???
    If you look above excuse me posted proof from a Hadith.

msmasem
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered85 View Post
    If you look above excuse me posted proof from a Hadith.
    I don't see a ruling regarding those who intentionally not fasted and pregnant women...and...How about the other 100 hadiths that contradict each other? Or the 101 Scholars who contradict each other?

شهيد إن شاء الله

you only have to do one 60 day fast per ramadhan your broke. so you miss one fast one year, 2 months. if you broke 2 fasts another year, its still 2 months, not 4.

hope that clears it up for you.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allâh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allâh with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

I don't have time to look up the evidence but I remember this clearly when I studied the Fiqh of fasting (and I did it twice).
    According to the Hanafi madhab the 60 days consecutive fasting is only done the once as a Kaffarah - it is not 60 days for each day missed.

Repentance has to be done and this intentional missing the fasts should not be repeated.

kostageas
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by uncle umar View Post
    you only have to do one 60 day fast per ramadhan your broke. so you miss one fast one year, 2 months. if you broke 2 fasts another year, its still 2 months, not 4.

hope that clears it up for you.
    Thank you so much akhi. Insh'Allah I will do this.

Unreh
    Guests

From islamqa
    http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/95

I have neglected many rights of Allah in the past, such as prayers, fasts, and zakah. Am I required to repeat them or compensate for them?

As far as the five daily prayers are concerned, the preferred opinion is that the repetition or compensation (or what is known as qadaa' in Arabic), is not obligatory for the reason that prayers are obligatory at a particular time, and once that time has elapsed, there is no way to offer them. However one ought to seek Allah's forgiveness and offer as many nawafil (voluntary prayers) as possible.

As for fasting-yes, if a person was a Muslim at the time they became obligatory and he did not fast, then their performance is required, accompanied by feeding of a poor Muslim for every day of fast that was not observed during previous years. What is required is always a day for a day-no more, no less.

Example 1: A person did not fast three days of Ramadan of the year 1400 A.H., and five days of Ramadan of the year 1401 A.H., all out of negligence. He must now fast 8 days, and feed eight poor Muslims in compensation.

Example 2: A girl reached puberty in the Ramadan of the year 1400 A.H. but out of shame and modesty did not inform anyone of her menstruation, and, rather, continued fasting say for eight days of her period. Thereafter, she repented. She would then be required to redo eight days of fasting.

It may also be pointed out here that this is the predominant position. A minority opinion is that the ruling for fasting is the same as that for the prayers, i.e., there is no qadaa' (making up) for fasting in the case of a person who did not fast and did not have a valid reason for not fasting.

As for he who did not offer the obligatory zakah, it is necessary for a repentant to them for all previous unpaid years, for it is, from one angle, Allah's right, while from another, the poor people's right. (See Madaarij Al-Salikin for further details).

here you can fast on special days to make up your previous fast inshallah

On Monday and Thursday, on which days fasting is mustahabb. It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was keen to fast on Mondays and Thursdays.” (al-Nasaa’i, 2320; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’ al-Sagheer, 4827). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, and he said: “Those are two days on which people’s deeds are shown to the Lord of the Worlds, and I want my deeds to be shown to Him when I am fasting.” (al-Nasaa’i, 2358; Ibn Maajah, 1740; Ahmad, 8161; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1583). He was asked about fasting on Mondays and he said, “On that day I was born and on that day revelation came to me.” (Muslim, 1162).

The day of ‘Aashoora’ which is the tenth of Muharram. It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked about fasting on the day of ‘Aashoora’. He said, “I do not know of any day on the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted that was better than this day and any month that was better than this month, meaning Ramadaan.” (al-Bukhaari, 2006; Muslim, 1132). It is Sunnah to fast the day before or the day after along with ‘Aashoora’, in order to be different from the Jews.

The day of ‘Arafaah, which is the ninth day of Dhu’l-Hijjah. It is mustahabb only for those who are not standing in ‘Arafaah itself, as the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning the virtue of the three fasts mentioned above: “The observance of three days' fast every month and that of Ramadan every year is equivalent to fasting for the entire year. I seek from Allah that fasting on the day of ‘Arafaah may atone for the sins of the preceding and the coming years, and I seek from Allah that fasting on the day of ‘Aashoora’ may atone for the sins of the preceding year.” (Muslim, 1162).

The month of Shawwaal. It is Sunnah to fast six days of Shawwaal, because the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever fasts Ramadaan then fasts six days of Shawwaal, it is as if he fasted for a lifetime.” (Muslim, 1164). See also Question no. 7859.

The month of Muharraam: it is Sunnah to fast whatever one can of this month, because of the hadeeth: “The best of fasting after Ramadaan is the month of Allaah Muharram, and the best of prayer after the obligatory prayers is prayer at night (qiyaam al-layl).” (Muslim, 1163).

3- The month of Sha’baan, as it was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to fast until we thought that he would never break his fast, and he would not fast until we thought that he would never fast. I never saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fast an entire month apart from Ramadaan, and the month in which I saw him fast the most was Sha’baan. He used to fast all of Sha’baan or all of it apart from a few days.” (al-Bukhaari, 1969; Muslim, 1156).

The Muslim who is keen to do good must realize the great virtue of performing voluntary fasts for the sake of Allaah, as it says in the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever fasts one day for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will keep his face seventy years’ distance from Hell,” (al-Nasaa’i, 2247; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Nasaa’i, 2121).

abuibraaheem -

yes u are correct, its one kaffarah for one ramadan thing na3m?
    Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
    فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

skyblue
    Guests

just wanted to point out that kaffarah is ONLY for intentionally BREAKING a ramadan fast. If you intentionally MISS the fast (i.e not make an intention and not keep it at all) you only keep qadha for each missed fast and NOT 60 days of continuous fasting.