Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Recitation of the names of God, and their benefits?

First and foremost, Ramadan Mubarak!

On than one occasion, I've come across websites, mini books, and pamphlets that list Allah's 99names and claim that "saying this name of Allah 100 times after fair, and you'll obtain wealth.

Is this ok to do? These sound almost too good to be true, and if anyone with knowledge can inform me on whether this is bidah or not than I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's an example website: http://http://www.stumbleupon.com/su...org/nallah.htm
    Jazakhallah!

Account Disabled

Re: Recitation of the names of God, and their benefits?

Ramadhan Mubarak to you too.

None of that seems to be backed up by authentic sources. Besides the 99 names of Allah aren't confirmed. I believe only 67 or so are.

Wait what? Im pretty sure there are 99 names of Allah.

Account Disabled

Scholars believe there's more than 99. A hadeeth specifically mentions there are 99 (or 100 and one less) names, but there is no authentic list of what those names actually are. Just opinions.

Number of people tell me if you say so-and-so X amount of times then you will get such and such reward e.g. reciting the 99 names of Allah in certain combnations and quantities will do certain things .

Praise be to Allaah.

This question was answered for us by Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Munayyi’, who said:

“This is not permissible, and if he believes in it, it is bid’ah.”

Every dhikr that involves reciting a certain number of times, or in a certain place, or at a certain time, or in a certain manner, that is not prescribed in sharee’ah, is bid’ah. With regard to the Most Beautiful Names of Allaah, the way to use these in worship is to call upon Allaah by these Names, as He says (interpretation of the meaning), “And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them…” [al-A’raaf 7:180]. Merely reciting them in certain combinations is not a prescribed form of worship. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Many of the Names of Allaah may be found at the end of numerous aayaat of the Qur'aan
    ar - en - fr - ur - id
    So far I have learned 33 of the 99 Arabic names for Allah (SWT), I don't have a list of the rest. Where can I find it on the internet, or perhaps you know them?

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah has many names, all of which are indicative of His Greatness, Perfection and Majesty, may He be glorified and exalted. He has told us some of these Names in His Book and through the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him); He also has other Names which are known only to Him, as is indicated in the hadeeth of 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said:
    "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'There is nobody who is afflicted with distress or grief and who says: "Allaahumma inni 'abduka wa ibn 'abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika maadin fiyya hukmuka 'adlun fiyya qadaa'uka, as'aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw 'allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw asta'tharta bihi fi 'ilmi al-ghaybi 'indaka an taj'al al-Qur'aana rabee'a qalbi wa noor sadri wa jilaa'a huzni wa dhihaaba hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your maidservant, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is ever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Qur'aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety," - but Allaah will take away his distress and grief, and replace it with ease.' He was asked, 'O Messenger of Allaah, should we not learn it?' He said, 'Of course, whoever hears it should learn it.'" (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; this is a saheeh hadeeth).

The Names of Allaah mentioned in the Qur'aan and Sunnah number over one hundred, as several scholars have agreed (see Al-Qawaa'id al-Muthlaa fi Sifaat Allaahi wa Asmaa'ihi by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih ibn 'Uthaymeen).

Among these are ninety-nine names which, if one learns them and acts in accordance with them, will bring a great reward, as is indicated in the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), in which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one; whoever learns them will enter Paradise." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, no. 2736)

The learning referred to in the hadeeth includes the following:

Memorizing them.

Understanding their meanings.

Acting upon them: so if a person learns that Allaah is al-Ahad (the One and Only), he will not associate anything else with Him; if he learns that He is al-Razzaaq (the Provider), he will not seek provision from anyone else; if he learns that He is al-Raheem (the Most Merciful), he will not despair of His Mercy, and so on.

Calling upon Allaah by these Names, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): "And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them…" [al-A'raaf 7:180] - so one might say "Yaa Rahmaan arhamni (O Most Merciful, have mercy on me)," "Yaa Ghafoor ighfir li (O All-Forgiving, forgive me)," "Yaa Tawwaab, tubb 'alayya (O Accepter of Repentance, turn towards me in forgiveness)," and so on.

If you pay attention to the endings of many aayaat, you will find many of the names of Allah mentioned there. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Jazakallah sister for the reply. The link I posted contains a list of the 99 names of Allah from Duas.org.

Does this include saying SubhanAllah wa bihamdi 100 times, Alhamdulilah 100 times, Allahu Abkbar 100 times, La ilaha il Allah 100 times, Astaghfirullah 100 times.
    I read a hadith that states if you say any of these 100 times, 100 good deeds will be recorded for you. No truth to this hadith? I have done this a few times now.

Quote Originally Posted by AusBosanac View Post
    Does this include saying SubhanAllah wa bihamdi 100 times, Alhamdulilah 100 times, Allahu Abkbar 100 times, La ilaha il Allah 100 times, Astaghfirullah 100 times.
    I read a hadith that states if you say any of these 100 times, 100 good deeds will be recorded for you. No truth to this hadith? I have done this a few times now.
    Allahu alam but this has great reward insha Allah.

The virtue of one who says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah

What is the reward of one who says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wahdahu laa shareeka lah, lahu’l-mulk wa lahu’l-hamd wa huwa ‘ala kulli shay’in qadeer (there is no god but Allaah alone, with no partner or associate. His is the Dominion and to Him be praise, and He is able to do all things) one hundred times each day?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wahdahu laa shareeka lah, lahu’l-mulk wa lahu’l-hamd wa huwa ‘ala kulli shay’in qadeer one hundred times in a day will have (a reward) equivalent to freeing ten slaves, one hundred hasanaat (good deeds) will be recorded for him and one hundred sayi’aat (bad deeds) will be erased from him, and he will be protected from the Shaytaan for that day until evening comes. No one can do anything better than what he has done except one who does more than that. Whoever says Subhaan Allaah wa bi hamdihi (Glory and praise be to Allaah) one hundred times in a day, his sins will be erased even if they were like the foam of the sea.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim.

From Adhkaar al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah min al-Qur’aan wa Saheeh al-Sunnah, p. 18.

The Prophet said:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

My sister is named Samira and we're both Muslims. I think that's a pretty good name. Or better, yet, Samara! They are lovely.muslim names for boys

some scholars have noted that reciting dhikr upon Allahs attributes gives certain benefits, most of the sufi orders ascribe to this. Although they do believe this, they also stress the importance of finding a spiritual teacher.

some may disagree with this entirely, but this has been an integral part of tasawuff since it's inception.
    ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
    Rumi RahimuAllah.

Quote Originally Posted by HvK View Post
    Jazakallah sister for the reply. The link I posted contains a list of the 99 names of Allah from Duas.org.
    Duas.org is a shia website isnt it? Totally unreliable.

Also i heard the same thing that despite all these pamplets and booklets going around and sadly sold in many Islamic bookshops saying "Recite this name of Allah this many times and you will get this benefit" there is nothing to back them up.
    "And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers"(51:55)

The Snake and Malik ibn Dinar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfrNtDw5Yc

Quote Originally Posted by .Abu.Rambo. View Post
    some scholars have noted that reciting dhikr upon Allahs attributes gives certain benefits, most of the sufi orders ascribe to this. Although they do believe this, they also stress the importance of finding a spiritual teacher.

some may disagree with this entirely, but this has been an integral part of tasawuff since it's inception.
    Yes but the Sufi orders of today have little to do with what the Prophet (saw) taught or with what the early generations of Islam understood and followed.

They have invented many things into the religion which is why the majority Ahl-e-Sunnah will always reject the Sufis and Shias.

Quote Originally Posted by yassin' View Post
    Yes but the Sufi orders of today have little to do with what the Prophet (saw) taught or with what the early generations of Islam understood and followed.

They have invented many things into the religion which is why the majority Ahl-e-Sunnah will always reject the Sufis and Shias.
    Then you don't know much about the true sufi orders which still survive, even in Hijaz, Shaam and Egypt. I guess your latter statement depends on who you define as 'ahul sunnah'.
    ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
    Rumi RahimuAllah.

Quote Originally Posted by AusBosanac View Post
    Do you mean reading 33 x alhamdulilah, 33 x subhanllah and 34 x allahu akbar after Salat?

If so that is confirmed Sunnah practice because we have authentic hadith to back it up.

If you can back it up from Quran or Sunnah then no problem... otherwise you have to ask WHERE did they get this from?

I believe these are some of the authentic zikrs you can do because they are backed up with reference...I cant vouch for rest of the
    website and you should check the references they give for yourself inshallah...

http://sunnah.org/ibadaat/beautiful_dhikr.htm
    Last edited by yassin'; 07-09-11 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .Abu.Rambo. View Post
    Then you don't know much about the true sufi orders which still survive, even in Hijaz, Shaam and Egypt. I guess your latter statement depends on who you define as 'ahul sunnah'.
    Maybe i don't know that much, they are certainly not in the spotlight, the ones we see taking up the limelight and calling themselves Sufi in our generation are engaged in the worst kind of bidah and shirk unfortunately so
    it is understandable to be a little cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by yassin' View Post
    Maybe i don't know that much, they are certainly not in the spotlight, the ones we see taking up the limelight and calling themselves Sufi in our generation are engaged in the worst kind of bidah and shirk unfortunately so
    it is understandable to be a little cautious.
    I understand your caution, however we live in a time where small groups have the largest voices unfortunately. When you spend some time in such circles in Morocco or shaam opinions quickly change, Khayr.
    Rumi RahimuAllah.