Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Account Disabled

What is a Khatam? Where is it from?

I think its where people make duas over food, but can someone please elaborate on this. Also Is it a bidah or what?

If a person was to make some duas and read a bit of Quran, with food in front of that person, and knows its not obligatory or anything like that,
    and thats it, would that person be sinning or what?

Can anyone give any info on khatams

Thanks in advance any info will help

JazakAllahKhair

Re: What is a Khatam? Where is it from?

would like to see the answer to this also since alot of desis do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hafsah1 View Post
    I think its where people make duas over food, but can someone please elaborate on this. Also Is it a bidah or what?

If a person was to make some duas and read a bit of Quran, with food in front of that person, and knows its not obligatory or anything like that,
    and thats it, would that person be sinning or what?

Can anyone give any info on khatams

Thanks in advance any info will help

JazakAllahKhair
    Find a BRELVI Brother and get marry and he will help you to understand all these difficult questions

Du’aa’ for completing the Qur’aan (khatam)
    ar - en - ur
    Many muslims during ramadhan read the quran and when on completion on the quran they have a so called "hatham" this is common for peopls from the indian subcontinant.What i want to know is is this "hatham" a sunnah of the rasool??or is it a bidah??. The "hatham" is usually by an imam,where he will recite a few duas from and read onto food which will be eaten and distributed to many people. please could you answer this because this is also practised when someone dies and and on every thursday evenning.if there is such a hadith on this practise please could u give me the reference?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Du’aa’ for completing the Qur’aan in the manner asked about here is a reprehensible innovation (bid’ah), which was not done by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or by the righteous salaf (may Allaah be pleased with them). If it had been something good, they would have done it before us.

Rather what is narrated from the salaf is to make du’aa’ after completing the Qur’aan, without stipulating any specific du’aa’ or any particular way of doing it. So if the Muslim completes the Holy Qur’aan, whether in Ramadaan or at other times, it is mustahabb for him to raise his hands and call upon Allaah, asking Him for the best in this world and in the Hereafter.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

Is there a specific du’aa’ for completing the Qur’aan?

He said:

There is no evidence that there is a specific du’aa’ for this as far as I know. Hence it is permissible for a person to make du’aa’ as he wishes and to choose beneficial supplications such as praying to be forgiven, to be granted Paradise and to be saved from Hell, seeking refuge with Allaah from fitnah (temptation, tribulation), asking for help to understand the Qur’aan in the manner that Allaah is pleased with and to act upon it and memorize it, etc., because it was proven that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) used to gather his family when he completed the Qur’aan and make du’aa’.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 11/358.

With regard to reciting that over food and distributing it, and doing that when someone dies and on Thursdays, all of that is bid’ah (innovation).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has commanded us to adhere to his Sunnah and the way of the Rightly-Guided caliphs, and he has forbidden us to introduce innovations into the religion. He has told us that this is misguidance, and that bid’ahs will be rejected and thrown back at the one who does them, and he will not be rewarded for them.

Abu Dawood (4607) narrated from al-‘Irbaad ibn Saariyah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you lives after I am gone will see great differences. I urge you to adhere to my Sunnah and the way of the Rightly-Guided caliphs. Adhere to it and cling firmly to it. And beware of newly-innovated matters, for every newly-innovated matter is a bid’ah, and every bid’ah is a going-astray.” Classed as saheeh in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 3851.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does any action that is not in accordance with this matter of ours (Islam) will have it rejected.” Narrated by Muslim, 1718.

And Allaah knows best.
    Islam Q&A
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

^ would helping out my dad give the food from house to house also make me guilty?

If in a ‘khatam’ people read the Quran and send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him) what is wrong with that? Is reading the Quran wrong? Is send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him)?

Reciting holy words over food and water is a hindu religious custom and this is where it is derived from.

----- The Warrior ----- AvenueToPeace's Avatar

i read somewhere n i think it was narrated by anas bin malik.. something about that there were 10 or maybe 70 sahaba.. n prophet muhammad recited over food and all sahaba ate to their fill... ????

don't do khatams

individual ibaadah all the way
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Quote Originally Posted by AvenueToPeace View Post
    n prophet muhammad recited over food and all sahaba ate to their fill... ????
    you might refering to "bismillah" =)
    Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) is also reported to have said: “He who is very hasty and so bold as to pass verdicts is also bold in taking the path towards hell

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by al_azhar View Post
    If in a ‘khatam’ people read the Quran and send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him) what is wrong with that? Is reading the Quran wrong? Is send blessing upon the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon Him)?
    Some people that do khatams think that dead spirits come back to partake in the food, which is obviously not something from Islam (it's probably from hinduism),
    But I wanted to know if a person doesn't believe that strange stuff and just recites a couple of surahs from Quran and makes duas with food in front of them, would that be a sin? Obviously the common khatam thing is a bidah as some of them believe in that stuff about the dead spirits, but is reciting quran and making duas over the food a bidah (if not give some proof)?

The following lecture was a good lecture and had a bit of info on it, but I don't remember which part of the lecture it was in;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovWY...CDA6BC8FF41987

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by al_azhar View Post
    If the Prophet didn't do khatams, then obviously we shouldn't, nobody is saying reading Quran etc is wrong, but it depends on the context

e.g. if somebody says that they wanted to recite Quran when they are on the toilet, we would know that is a Bidah and real dumb thing to do, same thing here, I want to know if it is something the Prophet (SAW) or Companions did? If there is no evidence then why should we do that?

I just want to know if there is any evidence for Khatams actually, as I personally couldn't find anything about it?

If there is no daleel for it, then what if someone just recites a couple of surahs from Quran and makes duas with food in front of them, is there any evidence for that?

Thanks in advance bros and sistas

----- The Warrior ----- AvenueToPeace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by junaid123 View Post
    you might refering to "bismillah" =)
    ALLAHUALAM... i have to find the narration first... but i m sure it was something like they didnt have much to eat other than a bread.. n prophet muhammad recited over it and 10 or 70 sahaba ate to their fill... ALLAH knows best...

If there is no daleel for it, then what if someone just recites a couple of surahs from Quran and makes duas with food in front of them, is there any evidence for that?

Thanks in advance bros and sistas
    Why would you feel the need to read with food in front of you, when there is absolutely no benefit behind it? Sister, staying away from such practices will be better insha'Allah.
    And Allah knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by AvenueToPeace View Post
    ALLAHUALAM... i have to find the narration first... but i m sure it was something like they didnt have much to eat other than a bread.. n prophet muhammad recited over it and 10 or 70 sahaba ate to their fill... ALLAH knows best...
    Thats miracle of prophet(sw), that occured oft if you go through seerah of prophet(sW)
    Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) is also reported to have said: “He who is very hasty and so bold as to pass verdicts is also bold in taking the path towards hell

Khatam Basically means to complete the recitation of the Quran either by oneself or in a Group , as far as i know reading Quran for the dead has been differed on between the madhabs , however People like Ibn Taymiyyah rah approved it , Shafies and Ahnaaf and MAlikis have different standings will try and post it later .

Quote Originally Posted by al faqeer View Post
    as far as i know reading Quran for the dead
    read the first post. ahhh and got something about "tawheed" being mentioned in Quran-Hadith book. will share with you later inshallah.

It has nothing to do with Tawheed - its a Fiqhi question .

It has nothing to do with Tawheed - its a Fiqhi question .
    you were asking around about the term "tawheed" was found in Quran and hadith or not. i was refering to that.

Quote Originally Posted by junaid123 View Post
    you were asking around about the term "tawheed" was found in Quran and hadith or not. i was refering to that.
    No The term was Aqeedah , and no its not found .

Stay on topic please mate .

ahh yes, my bad.

al faqeer returns ... now to wait for his mate , umar hadeed

Did you teach it or laern from a christian fella? cause a christian propagating this in internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Christian fella View Post
    Other more pliant Sunnies say the exact opposite – they say that although they may have differences between their cults, the Shias and the Sunnis actually share the same aqeedah.

The truth is that this word ‘aqeedah’, which is a source of so much holier than thou persecution inside the Ahlul Sunnah cults, can never be found in the Quran to signify religious faith, religious belief, religious creed etc. In the Quran GOD and the Prophet never taught us anything about ‘aqeedah’ as referring to "religious faith". The Quran only refers to faith or 'iman' (arabic : eeman). The truth is this word ‘aqeedah’ is not even found in the Quran. There is occurrence of derivatives like ‘uqdah’ referring to ‘the knot of marriage’ (2:235) or ‘aqada’ referring to upholding the proper sharing of inheritances (4:33) but there is no such word as ‘aqeedah’ in the Quran and neither is there any reference of aqeedah as religious creed or binding faith in the Quran.

In their vain attempt to cover up their plagiarizing the concept of aqeedah as ‘binding faith’ from the Bible, some Sunnis try to say that ‘aqeedah’ is found in the Quran. They fail miserably to prove this point. Here is one argument from the Sunnis :

“Al-Aqeedah linguistically is derived from the term aqada. In Arabic, one states, "Aqada the rope" when the rope is tied firmly. And, "Aqada the sale" or "He settled the sale" when the person ratifies and contracts a sale or agreement. And GOD says in the Quran, "And as for those whom your right hands have made a covenant (Ar., aqadat)" [Al-Nisa 33]. And GOD also says, "But He will take you to task for the oaths which you swear in earnest (Ar., aqadtum) [Al-Maida, 89] which means asserted and adhered to, as proven in the verse, "And break not oaths after the assertion of them" [An-Nahl, 91].

In truth none of these verses they refer to above have anything at all to do with the concept of ‘the firm creed that one's heart is fixed upon without any wavering or doubt’. Each of the verses referred to above carries its own meaning that has nothing to do with the fabricated concept of aqeedah. These are the belatedly lame explanations by the Sunni ulema that have popped up to fill in the yawning gaps in their arguments.

Where does this Sunni idea as well as the word ‘aqeedah’ come from ? Would anyone like to guess ? It comes from the Christian Bible, in this case the Hebrew language Bible. It is NOT found in the Quran. Aqeedah is also a Hebrew word.
    The Oxford Companion to the Bible talks about 'aqeedah' on page 43.
    "Aqedah: The Hebrew word for 'binding', and the common designation for Genesis 22:1 - 19 in which GOD tests Abraham by commanding that he sacrifice his son Isaac. Abraham "binds" Isaac (verse 9)."
    “The New Testament refers to the aqedah not as an example of a redemptive sacrificial death but rather as an example of “FAITH". See the following verses:
    [Jas 2:21] Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar?
    [Heb 11:17] By FAITH Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was ready to offer up his only son,
    [Rom 4:16] That is why it depends on FAITH, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his descendants-- not only to the adherents of the law but also to those who share the faith of Abraham, for he is the father of us all,”
    The Oxford Companion to the Bible also says that "From antiquity the AQEDAH has been portrayed in the arts. For example it appears on a wall painting of the third century CE SYNAGOGUE at Dura-Europos and on a floor mosaic of the sixth century SYNAGOGUE at Beth Alpha."

Long before any Sunni thought of ‘aqeedah’ as ‘the firm creed that one’s heart is fixed upon’ the Jews and Christians had already drawn paintings and illustrations about aqeedah or ‘binding faith’ in the Third Century and the Sixth Century.

Christians using the argument , is not my problem mate .

ITs the problem of those who adopted the word as a fundamental part of Islamic theology .

The fact that it only appeared 300 years later and then adopted slowly proves my argument Junaid .

Account Disabled

Stay on topic please mate .
    Isn't the topic "khatam"?

Tell that to Junaid not me

You were answered here :

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post4329597

Account Disabled

Tell that to Junaid not me

You were answered here :

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post4329597
    You have started talking bout "Aqeedah" and your telling others to stay on topic, the topic was about "khatam"

You have started talking bout "Aqeedah" and your telling others to stay on topic, the topic was about "khatam"
    I have not its junaid who started the topic not me .

Think as you please .

this is where he went off topic :

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post4329598

Is english a second language ?

what about the terms:

sufi
    naqshbandiyyah
    qadriyyah
    chishtiyyah
    etc.
    "Be A Lamp, A Lifeboat, A Ladder, Help Someone's Soul Heal. Walk Out Of Your House Like A Shepherd" - Rumi

Account Disabled

I have not its junaid who started the topic not me .

Think as you please .

this is where he went off topic :

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post4329598

Is english a second language ?
    "its junaid who started the topic not me" what do you mean by that? I started this thread topic, not junaid?

is english a second language?

And what about them terms you mentioned, going off the topic again are you?

Quote Originally Posted by tayyiboon View Post
    what about the terms:

sufi
    naqshbandiyyah
    qadriyyah
    chishtiyyah
    etc.
    equivalent to Shafie , Hanbali , Maliki , Hanafi.

"its junaid who started the topic not me" what do you mean by that? I started this thread topic, not junaid?

is english a second language?

And what about them terms you mentioned, going off the topic again are you?
    I answered him .

and you are still ignoring what i answered you on in the OP .

Khatam Basically means to complete the recitation of the Quran either by oneself or in a Group , as far as i know reading Quran for the dead has been differed on between the madhabs , however People like Ibn Taymiyyah rah approved it , Shafies and Ahnaaf and MAlikis have different standings will try and post it later .

equivalent to Shafie , Hanbali , Maliki , Hanafi.
    only in your dreams mayb.......

Imam Abu Haneefah did not make up a fake silsilah/chain to justify his Fiqh.......
    "Be A Lamp, A Lifeboat, A Ladder, Help Someone's Soul Heal. Walk Out Of Your House Like A Shepherd" - Rumi

Account Disabled

I answered him .

and you are still ignoring what i answered you on in the OP .

How are "sufi
    naqshbandiyyah
    qadriyyah
    chishtiyyah
    etc.

equivalent to Shafie , Hanbali , Maliki , Hanafi. "

Explain that one? And what that has to do with the topic of Khatams?

I asked for Quran or Hadith proving khatams, not what You think really, and what is "Ahnaaf"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tayyiboon View Post
    only in your dreams mayb.......

Imam Abu Haneefah did not make up a fake silsilah/chain to justify his Fiqh.......
    You say its fake who are you ? exactly Allah's viceroy on earth ?

I dont think so mate .

Imam Ahmad and other scholars also relayed the same ruling. Imam Al-Qadi Abul Fadl `Iyad said something to that effect in his commentary book to Sahih Muslim when explaining the Hadith of the female slave in which the Prophet, peace be upon him, said about two recently buried Muslims, after he split a moist palm branch into two and fixed the two branches over the graves: “We hope that any punishment will be eased while the branches are still moist”. Specifically, Al-Qadi `Iyad said: “Scholars deduced from this Hadith that it is likeable (mustahab) to read the Qur’an upon the dead, because if punishment could be eased by the tasbih (glorifying Allah) of the branches which are objects, then given the priority of the Qur’an, its recitation upon the dead would be likeable”. This ruling was also conveyed from him and it was agreed upon by Al-Abiyy in his explanation book to Sahih Muslim. Another piece of evidence testifying to the benefiting of the dead Muslim from the Qur’anic recitation of another is the Hadith narrated by Ma`qal bin Yasar in which the Prophet peace be upon him says: “Recite the verses of Surat Yasin upon your dead” (narrated by Abu Dawud, An-Nasa’iyy and Ibn Majah, who classified it as a Sahih Hadith).

Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) slaughtered sheep during his farewell Hajj and made intention for himself and all those (alive, deceased and to come) who bring faith on his prophethood. (Sahih Bukhari)

Imaam Bukhari has reported on the authority of Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Anhu) that Sayyiduna Sa'ad ibn Ubaadah (Radhiallaahu Anhu) was away when his mother passed away. When he returned, he asked Rasulullah, 'Will it be of any benefit if I give charity on her behalf?' Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) replied in the affirmative. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith2762)

Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalaani (RA) states in his monumental commentary of Sahih Bukhari entitled, 'Fath al-Bari', 'This Hadith proves the permissibility of charity on behalf of the deceased and that the reward will reach him.' (Fath al-Baari vol.5 pg.477 Hadith2761)

Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports a man once asked Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), 'O Prophet of Allah! My father has passed away and he did not perform Hajj, can I perform Hajj on his behalf?' Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) enquired of him, 'If your father had any debt, would you have paid it.?' The man replied, 'Yes.' Upon this, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'In that case, the Deen of Allah has more right.' (Sunan Nasaaie Hadith26331)

A separate incident of a similar nature has been recorded by Imaam Bukhari in his Sahih (Hadith6698). Hafiz ibn Qayyim (RA), the famous student of Hafiz ibn Taymiyah (RA), after quoting the above Ahaadith, states: 'These quotations all concur with the fact that when the living carry out any deed on behalf of the deceased, the reward will reach him (benefit him).' (Kitaab Ruh pg.161)

Sayyiduna al-Lajlaaj (Radhiallaahu Anhu), a companion of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), had bequested his son that after he leaves this world, he should recite the beginning and end of Surah al-Baqarah at the head side of his grave. Sayyiduna al-Lajlaaj (Radhiallaahu Anhu) then mentioned that he heard this from Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam). (al-Mu'jamul Kabeer of Imaam Tabrani; Hafiz Haythami has regarded the narrators of this tradition as reliable - refer Majmauz-zawaaid vol.3 pg.44)

Account Disabled

Imam Ahmad and other scholars also relayed the same ruling. Imam Al-Qadi Abul Fadl `Iyad said something to that effect in his commentary book to Sahih Muslim when explaining the Hadith of the female slave in which the Prophet, peace be upon him, said about two recently buried Muslims, after he split a moist palm branch into two and fixed the two branches over the graves: “We hope that any punishment will be eased while the branches are still moist”. Specifically, Al-Qadi `Iyad said: “Scholars deduced from this Hadith that it is likeable (mustahab) to read the Qur’an upon the dead, because if punishment could be eased by the tasbih (glorifying Allah) of the branches which are objects, then given the priority of the Qur’an, its recitation upon the dead would be likeable”. This ruling was also conveyed from him and it was agreed upon by Al-Abiyy in his explanation book to Sahih Muslim. Another piece of evidence testifying to the benefiting of the dead Muslim from the Qur’anic recitation of another is the Hadith narrated by Ma`qal bin Yasar in which the Prophet peace be upon him says: “Recite the verses of Surat Yasin upon your dead” (narrated by Abu Dawud, An-Nasa’iyy and Ibn Majah, who classified it as a Sahih Hadith).
    But what about Khatams, where people think that the dead spirits come to them to partake in the food, show us a hadith to prove that?

Account Disabled

You say its fake who are you ? exactly Allah's viceroy on earth ?

I dont think so mate .
    Lol, didn't Allah make man viceroy of the earth? If that is wrong please explain that one?

And what has that got to do with khatams?

Jazakallah Khair

Lol, didn't Allah make man viceroy of the earth? If that is wrong please explain that one?

And what has that got to do with khatams?

Jazakallah Khair
    You have been answered about khatams more than once by me - if you choose to overlook it , its your problem .

Allah SWt made sayidina Adam Viceroy on earth and then specific anbiyaa - and not people like tayyibon and me or you .