Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Lightbulb Does anyone know how to make Talbeena?

I was reading Aap Beeti and I came across a letter by Maulana Zakariyya to Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi. Anyway, in the letter Maulana Zakariyya describes what he has sent as a gift to Maulana Thanwi Saheb. And he describes his gift through this explanation from the Sunnah:

To Hazrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi
    Assalamu Alaykum.

I hereby wish to present a little gift. In the Hadith, there is mention of a certain thing called talbeena, which Mullah Ali Qari says is made up of milk, honey and flour and I have added a little saffron for flavour and taste. Once, some time ago, I prepared it and it turned out to be very delicious and I got the feeling that perhaps Hazrat will also like it. Only Allah knows how it has turned out this time, but I have again mixed the same ingredients.

In Bukhari it is reported from Hazrat Aisha Radhiallahu Anha who says: "I have heard Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam say: "Verily talbeena cures the heart of the sick one and takes away his sorrows."" According to Bukhari, she ordered that talbeena be taken and that it is a beneficial medicine. Hafiz Ibn Hajar says in 'Fath', it is reported by Ahmed and Ibn Majah that Aisha Radhiallahu Anha reported: "Make use of talbeena, the beneficial medicine." And Nisai adds: "I swear by Him in whose hands is the life of Muhammad [sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam] that talbeena cleans the stomach in the same way as any of you uses water to wash dust from his face."
    So, I would like to know if anyone knows exactly how to make this? I did a quick search on Google, but could not really find out the specific amounts and how to actually prepare it.

Any input would be great.
    The Sahaba (radiAllahu anhum) used to cling to the Sunnah just because it was Sunnah
    Today we abandon the Sunnah, just because it's Sunnah.

Re: Does anyone know how to make Talbeena?

Maybe this might help, or this

Wash barley if required

Soak overnight in water the required amount of barley (half a cup makes more than you first think)

Drain MOST of the water from the barley.

Place barley in a blender and blend until is somewhat fine.

Place barley in a milk pan and add some milk.

Heat the mixture stirring all the while, until it bubbles. Add more milk as required until the Talbina is only as thick as porridge might be.

Honey can be added to taste when served or whilst heating the mixture up.
    Or a slightly easier version

Talbina is made by adding 1-2 tablespoon of barley flour (must be 100% wholegrain barley flour) to one and a half cups of water. Place on low heat for 10-15 minutes (optional: add milk or yoghurt and sweeten with honey). Drink at least 1 cup daily. This may also be added to soup or any dish for flavour and as a thickener.
    or even more easier

Alternatively you may add 1-2 tablespoon of barley flour (must be 100% wholegrain barley flour) to one and a half cups of milk. Place on low heat for 10-15 minutes. You may sweeten with honey. Drink at least 1 cup daily.
    Or if you are actually going to attempt to make it try the following, I think

With the saffron, Im assuming youd just throw a few strands in there when boiling it.

It looks very very heavy.
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

That was helpful. Especially, the video.

All the links mention honey as a sweetener, so I got the impression maybe a spoon or two? But then in the video he says half a kg! Then again, he's saying 6-8 cups of milk. But, it still seems like it's going to be too sweet?
    The Sahaba (radiAllahu anhum) used to cling to the Sunnah just because it was Sunnah

thanks so much for this info. I'd definately have it every day from now. I have liver disease and a minor kidney problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaanSeeker View Post
    That was helpful. Especially, the video.

All the links mention honey as a sweetener, so I got the impression maybe a spoon or two? But then in the video he says half a kg! Then again, he's saying 6-8 cups of milk. But, it still seems like it's going to be too sweet?
    I didnt actually understand the video, but got the general gist of it.

As you mentioned, I did think he put way too much honey in there, and the colour changed quite a lot too. I thought it would be whiter in colour? Or maybe its supposed to be really sweet?

I have hot milk with honey sometimes, but even then 1 and a half teaspoon for a mug of milk is more than enough.

Just try making a small amount once and see what you come up with, and then adjust accordingly perhaps?

A tiny bit of saffron would probably make it taste nicer.

Do come back and share your recipe with us!! With exact quantities.
    Last edited by Jenicca; 14-07-11 at 07:11 PM.
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

MashaALLAH at this.
    "Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes"

in leicester they sell like cereal type of boxes of talbeen powder (?) so all you need to do is add milk honey etc,
    my brother in law bought some for my mum when she read about talbeena herself and wanted to try it. apparently its really good.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

I didn't even know what it was let alone how to make it, so . I learnt something new today!

Salam all, I had talbeena today. its really delicious

mashaALLAH

Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jenicca View Post
    I didnt actually understand the video, but got the general gist of it.

As you mentioned, I did think he put way too much honey in there, and the colour changed quite a lot too. I thought it would be whiter in colour? Or maybe its supposed to be really sweet?

I have hot milk with honey sometimes, but even then 1 and a half teaspoon for a mug of milk is more than enough.

Just try making a small amount once and see what you come up with, and then adjust accordingly perhaps?

A tiny bit of saffron would probably make it taste nicer.

Do come back and share your recipe with us!! With exact quantities.
    Well, at best, I'm a novice at making anything, but I'll just see what happens. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    in leicester they sell like cereal type of boxes of talbeen powder (?) so all you need to do is add milk honey etc,
    my brother in law bought some for my mum when she read about talbeena herself and wanted to try it. apparently its really good.
    I assume the talbeen powder is just barley flour?

Quote Originally Posted by Salsabeel View Post
    Salam all, I had talbeena today. its really delicious
    That's great mashaAllah. Tell us how you made it, please.

I bought dried barley then I crushed it in the blender. I added milk and water into the crushed barley. cooked it for 15-20 minutes. then I added some honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Salsabeel View Post
    I bought dried barley then I crushed it in the blender. I added milk and water into the crushed barley. cooked it for 15-20 minutes. then I added some honey.
    Did you not soak your barley beforehand?

Be careful with crushing the barley like that in the blender, it might mess up blades as it is so hard.
    وَالْعَصْرِ

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

no i didnt soak it. i followed the second recipe.