Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

LIVE Hadeeth and Arabic Classes with Abu Mus'ab every Wednesday from 8:00PM GMT (9:00pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Where do psychics get their info from?

Assalamalykum

I was wondering if anyone could me some of their thoughts on psychics?

About 1 year or so before I got married these 2 irish women came to my mums house. We didnt know them and neither do they know us. But they seem to know things about our past and present which were true. It was around 10 or 11 years ago and I remember how shocked we were.

Since then and now those women still knock on my mums door maybe around once a year and my mum just gives them a jar of pennies that she collects as charity. But they have never asked for money or anything.

I havent seen them since until the other day when I was at my mums. When I saw them I automatically did dua to Allah subhanahu wa taala for protection thinking that if they had any bad intention they would quietly go away. But 1 of them asked to speak to me outside on my own. She told me a fews things about my past and married life that were true but there is no way she could have known personal things. She said a few things about my future which I am not concerned about because I dont believe anyone can tell the future other than Allah subhanahu wa taala. But the things she came out with gave me the chills at the time. I listened to her but I never asked her any questions because I do not believe in psychics and I never will.

I strongly believe that only Allah subhana tala and no one else knows the past and present and future. So its been troubling me about how they could possibly know things. None of us including me feel scared of them or anything.

I wanted to know where they get their info from about people is it the work of jinn maybe? I know it is not something good.

Jazakallah khair in advance

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar

Re: Where do psychics get their info from?

wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullah,

al-Bukhaari (4701) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah decrees a matter in heaven, the angels beat their wings in submission to His words, making a sound like a chain striking a rock. When the fear is banished from their hearts, they say, What is it that your Lord has said? They say: The truth, and He is the Most High, the Most Great. Then the one who is listening out hears that, and those who are listening out are standing one above the other” – Sufyaan [one of the narrators] demonstrated with his hand, holding it vertically with the fingers outspread. – “So he hears what is said and passes it on to the one below him, and that one passes it to the one who is below him, and so on until it reaches the lips of the soothsayer or fortune-teller. Maybe the meteor will hit him before he can pass anything on, or maybe he will pass it on before he is hit. He tells a hundred lies alongside it, but it will be said, Did he not tell us that on such and such a day, such and such would happen? So they believe him because of the one thing which was heard from heaven.” i.e., he is believed because of the one true word that was heard from heaven and passed on to the fortune teller.

also, there is a whole chaper on this in the 'fundamentals of tawheed' book by bilal phillips, in sha Allah if you read it, you will benefit.
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

walaikum salam

i am a revert 3 weeks and before i reverted i seen to different women that told me they could tell me the future, i got two different future outtakes from them! the first told me, me and my husband (he is muslim) were not going (i wasnt married to him at this time) the second one told me that we were soul mates. At both these stages i didnt i wasnt thinking of reverting!

The day i decided to say my shahada2 of my friends went to another one and come to my house after. with one of my friends i got brought into her reading i wasnt even there! of course it was all bad. IT IS JINN, all there information comes from evil demons watever you want to belive in!

They can only see or get so much information about you! The only person that knows what your future holds for you is the one who has written it ALLAH.

Some use jinns and some use a technique called 'cold reading' - google that for more information.

It's cold reading - although some may not be consciously aware that they're doing that. If you're interested, google 'Derren Brown'; he's de-bunked a number of so-called psychics over the years. There's no jinns, nothing supernatural about it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Chap View Post
    It's cold reading - although some may not be consciously aware that they're doing that. If you're interested, google 'Derren Brown'; he's de-bunked a number of so-called psychics over the years. There's no jinns, nothing supernatural about it at all.
    Pretty bold statement you just made

Yes, because you know EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by Muslim First View Post
    Pretty bold statement you just made
    Fair enough - but let me clarify. EVERY psychic that has been investigated (and unfortunately there are far too many out there to have all been investigated yet) has turned out to be a fraud. Every single one. People have been secretly recorded during a "reading" (neither the 'psychic' not the reader knew about it) and in subsequent analysis, it has always been found to be a combination of either cold reading and/or straight up lying.

No psychic that has ever been investigated by a reputable science-based analysis (say, Derren Brown or James Randi) has ever come up with a psychic which can't be explained through non-supernatural means. Not one.

So given the above, I think my statement that "there's no jinns" is fair enough.

But please don't say "Oh, cold reading - that's nothing". I have seen cold readings that will leave you thinking you're in supernatural contact with the spirit of your deceased childhood pet cat Tiddles. It's a combination of the 'psychic' picking up on little hints that you give off and then feeding them back to you in a kind of re-inforcement loop. It may appear spooky at the time, but a scientific analysis reveals that it's just cold reading - nothing more.

PS. In addition to cold-reading, psychics (along with astrologers) also make extensive use of "Barnum statements". Here's an extract from the Wikipedia article:

In 1948, psychologist Bertram R. Forer gave a personality test to his students. Afterward, he told his students they were each receiving a unique personality analysis that was based on the test's results and to rate their analysis on a scale of 0 (very poor) to 5 (excellent) on how well it applied to themselves. In reality, each received the same analysis:

“You have a great need for other people to like and admire you. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic. Security is one of your major goals in life.”

On average, the rating was 4.26, but only after the ratings were turned in was it revealed that each student had received identical copies assembled by Forer from various horoscopes.[2] As can be seen from the profile, there are a number of statements that could apply equally to anyone. These statements later became known as Barnum statements, after P.T. Barnum.
    In other words they employ statements that appear freakishly accurate about you, but in retrospect apply equally to pretty much everyone else as well.

sis-on-sunnah jazakallah for the hadith and I will read your recommended reading insha-Allah.

I do agree that certain things in my experience are just guesses that they make so i do believe they do cold reading. However, there are certain things that were definatley not guesses so then cold reading does not apply.

Assalaam Aleikhum,

Another user got it right: it's cold reading. Now, the whole Jinn thing is another issue (I believe Jinn are real) but any psychics you meet will most likely be using cold readings. Basically, they make general statements and watch your body language.Also, once they've gotten a few things right, you become easier to manipulate. It's basically a con (in the sense that it takes confidence like a con job).

Fair enough - but let me clarify. EVERY psychic that has been investigated (and unfortunately there are far too many out there to have all been investigated yet) has turned out to be a fraud. Every single one. People have been secretly recorded during a "reading" (neither the 'psychic' not the reader knew about it) and in subsequent analysis, it has always been found to be a combination of either cold reading and/or straight up lying.

No psychic that has ever been investigated by a reputable science-based analysis (say, Derren Brown or James Randi) has ever come up with a psychic which can't be explained through non-supernatural means. Not one.

So given the above, I think my statement that "there's no jinns" is fair enough.

But please don't say "Oh, cold reading - that's nothing". I have seen cold readings that will leave you thinking you're in supernatural contact with the spirit of your deceased childhood pet cat Tiddles. It's a combination of the 'psychic' picking up on little hints that you give off and then feeding them back to you in a kind of re-inforcement loop. It may appear spooky at the time, but a scientific analysis reveals that it's just cold reading - nothing more.
    I'm not over reacting it's just you kind of made a statement like you knew 100 percent that Jinns are not apart of it. You have your own opinion which I respect I just was thrown off by that little comment you made

in pak u get these people or every other street corner.

If u think that psycics is something weird then black magic is even more weird since they put curses on people to destroy their lives and sometimes its the curse is so bad that it even results in death.

U should stay away from these people , ESPECIALLY if they say they are muslims and do this stuff. I remember we brought a salafi guy into our house and he opened the previous taweez my dad wore and it had firauns name written on it asking for his help or something.

I thought when Nabi sallallahu alaihi wasallam was born, the jinnat lost their ability to eavesdrop from the malaaikah in the heavens and then relay that information to soothsayers and psychics.

Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    in pak u get these people or every other street corner.

If u think that psycics is something weird then black magic is even more weird since they put curses on people to destroy their lives and sometimes its the curse is so bad that it even results in death.

U should stay away from these people , ESPECIALLY if they say they are muslims and do this stuff. I remember we brought a salafi guy into our house and he opened the previous taweez my dad wore and it had firauns name written on it asking for his help or something.
    scary.....
    La Ilaha Illa Anta, subhanaka, Inni Kunto Minal dhalimeen.(Al Anbiya 21:87) Nabi(SAW)said'None who is experiencing difficulty employs it except that Allah would relieve him of his difficulty'

Even with authentic kitaabs you have to be careful. Some brother was reading a kitaab of taweez and duaa written by Maulana Hakeem Tariq Chugtai and he realized he was making dua to Ali and some dua with Firawn's name mentioned. He contacted Maulana and found out that the kitab was published by a Shia who had deceitfully put in his own taweez. So, the Maulana told him to destroy the kitab. Point is, check the unusual duaas and the taweez with an Alim first.

I think there every psychic have different kind of powers some claims they have connection with spirits and some says they view images, about these two ladies you can ask them where they get powers to know about someone.