Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Note: All classes with the exception of the Mustalahul Hadeeth and the Tafseer Class will stop until after Eid Al-Adh'haa, and will resume on Monday 6th October 2014.

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

+ Reply to Thread
    sisterunreg
    Guests

Eyebrow Plucking Argument

Asalamulaykum

It seems like the eyebrow plucking argument is never ending. Scholars say one thing, others say another, our Alimahs say another.

From what I have understood from Alimahs, and reading about the time of Sahabah and women completely changing their eyebrows, and from what my heart says, it is allowed to ONLY clean around the eyebrows, making them neat and tidy for your husband, and not altering the shape ie: creation of Allah? Any sisters with further more information please discuss. I am not here giving advice to anyone so please do not take my word for it, just asking other people what they feel/think.

Since we are allowed to pluck any hair on our face/wax it, this is what they say about plucking eyebrows.

In our beloved Prophet's times (PBUH), women used to shave their eyebrows completely and paint on a brand new shape, or completely alter the shape of their eyebrows. Truly disgusting and I can see how it becomes forbidden.

However, we all know men are allowed to clean and trim their beard to make themselves look handsome. When women clean around the shape of their eyebrows (ie: the STRAY hairs), this makes them look more clean and beautiful. Now some sisters have naturally clean eyebrows so this doesn't apply to everyone. But a lot of women have the whole eyebrow shape, and the stray hairs around it.

So sisters can you give me your thoughts on this?

Re: Eyebrow Plucking Argument

read the attatchement insha'Allah:

Plucking, trimming and shaping the eyebrows: What the Scholars say (various scholars)
    Attached Files Attached Files

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Dear sister,

The hadith is very clear of the Prophet (saw) the one who plucks their eyebrow, or does it for someone is cursed. Scholars allow plucking the area between the eyebrow as having hair present here is not considered normal and part of the eyebrow. From my understanding the majority concensus is that you can not pluck your eyebrows even to "clean" them.

The Prophet (saw) told us not to pluck our eyebrows full stop. The explanation that prostitutes did it at the time of the Prophet (saw) is a secondary matter. What the Prophet (saw) told us we follow, as in turn we are following Allah's command. There is wisdom in everything, and not every wisdom is plainly apparent to us.

I will tell you honestly I have very unkept eyebrows and many times people ask me why I do not pluck them. Most people non muslim and muslims must think I do not know about eye brows and self grooming lol..and also from what I have read plucking the eyebrows can change someone's look as well and make them look better. But following is Islam is about self discipline and fear of Allah and I can assure you if I can refrain from plucking my eyebrows and still look decent inshAllah you can as well. To be honest I don't think about it anymore and Allah makes these things easy alhamduAllah.

Quote Originally Posted by sisterunreg View Post
    Asalamulaykum

It seems like the eyebrow plucking argument is never ending. Scholars say one thing, others say another, our Alimahs say another.

From what I have understood from Alimahs, and reading about the time of Sahabah and women completely changing their eyebrows, and from what my heart says, it is allowed to ONLY clean around the eyebrows, making them neat and tidy for your husband, and not altering the shape ie: creation of Allah? Any sisters with further more information please discuss. I am not here giving advice to anyone so please do not take my word for it, just asking other people what they feel/think.

Since we are allowed to pluck any hair on our face/wax it, this is what they say about plucking eyebrows.

In our beloved Prophet's times (PBUH), women used to shave their eyebrows completely and paint on a brand new shape, or completely alter the shape of their eyebrows. Truly disgusting and I can see how it becomes forbidden.

However, we all know men are allowed to clean and trim their beard to make themselves look handsome. When women clean around the shape of their eyebrows (ie: the STRAY hairs), this makes them look more clean and beautiful. Now some sisters have naturally clean eyebrows so this doesn't apply to everyone. But a lot of women have the whole eyebrow shape, and the stray hairs around it.

So sisters can you give me your thoughts on this?
    Wa Alaykum Assalaam.

First of all let us not assume what the reason was for the prohibition of plucking the eyebrows, for we do not know unless we have read Tafaseer on it. Men are allowed to look clean and trim their beards if the length is more than a fist's length. Keeping a Fist length is Waajib.

sisterunreg
    Guests

So exactly what I am saying, you can't change the shape Allah gave you or the thickness, but you can clean around it (the stray hairs) to make yourself more clean and persentable. Nothing associated with changing the creation of Allah. I have not heard removing facial hair is haram for women, why should it be? Some women have sideburns and moustaches, this is obviously unnattractive. We have to remove certain things, it's clear and common sense that changing your natural shape of your eyebrows or thinning it is prohibited. Allah didn't prohibt us from keeping neat and clean, such as removing body hair as well.

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar

assalamu alaykum sister

sister, it's no good dwelving deep into things and saying 'why can't we remove a few stray hairs, it will not alter our appearance' because at the end of the day, we are answerable to Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala, Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala is not answerable to us!

so rather than looking for a way out of this prohibition, ie, trying to justify plucking out a few stray hairs, etc, just accept that it is a command that we, as muslims, do not touch our eyebrows.

best thing, leave the eyebrows as they are and if you need to, clean up the middle part.
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

helpful tip: stop looking at them in the mirror. If you have previously shaped them and therefore seen your face with shaped eyebrows it will be incredibly difficult to let them grow as you will start seeing stray hairs in places you are not used to seeing and you will think your face looks so ugly..so when you stop plucking or threading just don't look at your eyebrows in the mirror. The more you look at yourself you will give in and shape them again.

It's not easy, but you've just gotta bite the bullet and think about what's more important- this dunya or the akhira? also if you have a good pious husband then he will be understanding and help you like saying positive things and not 'eugh your eyebrows are ugly' or something.

Also regarding cleaning- everyone is different and some people do have random hairs around the eyebrows and accross forhead and I was told by an alima such hairs can be removed BUT be careful because I did this before my wedding, prior to this I didn't even know what threading was lol as in I got other areas threaded and the lady did the middle and forhead etc but then after marriage I kept up with the 'grooming' and the threading lady, even though I told her do not shape them, I don't know what happened but after a year I was looking at old photos and my face and my eyebrows had got thinner! even though they were not thin, still thick compared to others who do get them shaped. I thought I wouldn't go threading after usual few weeks to see and lots of hairs were growing..so I knew from this that over that year little by little other hairs had been removed and because it was done little by little I never noticed. So just beware, now when I get threading I just tell her to stay away from that area and do it myself because I can see what I am doing, these beauticians are so used to making eyebrows thin and pointed etc so if they take a little away from thick ones they don't think it's significant.
    "The successful marriage is not when you can live in peace with each other, but when you can't live in peace without each other."
    Friends of Al Aqsa

sisterunreg
    Guests

I am talking about the hairs around your eyebrow or between your eyebrows that DO NOT TOUCH the shape of your eyebrow. Some people go to extreme in saying you cant touch anything on your face, yes you can if it disfigures you. It doesn't mean just because Allah gave us it we have to keep it on there. Allah gave us hair on our private areas too and told us to remove hair from private parts too. He never said we cannot remove hair from sideburns or moustaches (for women). The hadeeths seems to be misunderstood. If you read into the history women used to completely shave off their eyebrows and paint a new one or change a thick bulky eyebrow into a thin arch, which is HARAM. But cleaning around the eyebrow and keeping your natural shape, I don't see anything to get worked up over since you're not changing the natural shape Allah gave you.

I am talking about the hairs around your eyebrow or between your eyebrows that DO NOT TOUCH the shape of your eyebrow. Some people go to extreme in saying you cant touch anything on your face, yes you can if it disfigures you. It doesn't mean just because Allah gave us it we have to keep it on there. Allah gave us hair on our private areas too and told us to remove hair from private parts too. He never said we cannot remove hair from sideburns or moustaches (for women). The hadeeths seems to be misunderstood. If you read into the history women used to completely shave off their eyebrows and paint a new one or change a thick bulky eyebrow into a thin arch, which is HARAM. But cleaning around the eyebrow and keeping your natural shape, I don't see anything to get worked up over since you're not changing the natural shape Allah gave you.
    If you feel like you already know the answer then why make a fuss about it?

If you want advice then listen to others and take something from it, rather than asking for peoples thoughts and then just saying they are wrong and emphasising your own views. It would be better if you didn't comment at all now because you seem to already know the answer for yourself, but if other sisters feel like they want to adhere to not removing any hairs then that's their take on the hadith and mashallah to them for the strong will.
    "The successful marriage is not when you can live in peace with each other, but when you can't live in peace without each other."
    Friends of Al Aqsa

sisterunreg
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by aurorascopic View Post
    If you feel like you already know the answer then why make a fuss about it?

If you want advice then listen to others and take something from it, rather than asking for peoples thoughts and then just saying they are wrong and emphasising your own views. It would be better if you didn't comment at all now because you seem to already know the answer for yourself, but if other sisters feel like they want to adhere to not removing any hairs then that's their take on the hadith and mashallah to them for the strong will.
    I was trying to get a point across to those who did not understand my post about the stray hairs, it's called forum, forums are for debating, if you do not want to debate then do not post. As easy as that.

I was trying to get a point across to those who did not understand my post about the stray hairs, it's called forum, forums are for debating, if you do not want to debate then do not post. As easy as that.
    Sis when there is a hadith, ayah from the quran or some islamic text reference then there is not much scope for debate- it is pretty much crystal clear, both points were made and that was it really, but Allah hu alam.

I don't think this conversation needs to be prolonged, it's just up to individuals to do what they believe I guess.
    Friends of Al Aqsa

sisterunreg
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by aurorascopic View Post
    Sis when there is a hadith, ayah from the quran or some islamic text reference then there is not much scope for debate- it is pretty much crystal clear, both points were made and that was it really, but Allah hu alam.

I don't think this conversation needs to be prolonged, it's just up to individuals to do what they believe I guess.
    Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): “Allah has cursed women who tattoo their bodies, wear false hair, those who pluck their eyebrows, and those who artificially widen gaps between their teeth.”

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Islamonline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503548812#ixzz1BMIhgyWz

Plucking the hair around the eyebrows is not considered eyebrows. We are here discussing a topic, gathering other information. I've already have had a clear answer, but would like to see what others have been told, or what they understand. I can argue too here a scholar says its okay, right?

It's clear the hadeeth is speaking about PLUCKING the eyebrow right out of its place but wanted different opinions. no need to get worked up

Sister,

I have understood that plucking the eyebrows is haram. All the evidence I have understood gives the exemption of plucking BETWEEN the eyebrows-which is not considered the eyebrows.

I do not understand the fatwa that you have posted. I can not understand how something in a hadith is so clear but the scholar has given a completely different answer. I mostly take my understandings from islam-qa.com or ask-imam.com. If it makes your heart easy to follow the scholars advice so be it.

Do remember that if you look long and hard enough for anything you can find it. If I want to find a fatwa that hijab is not compulsory I can do so very easily on the internet. We should not follow what our desires say. But of course you should weigh up all opinions and reach your own conclusion inshAllah which is what I have done and which I understand you are doing. My heart rejects that I can touch my eyebrows with a tweezer or a razor. I can either nit pick on details or I can listen to the Messenger (saw) and obey his order.

I believe that if there is no gap between the thick black hairs of the eyebrow "shape" and these extra hairs then these extra hairs constitute your eyebrow shape. Having nice cleaned eyebrows is a modern invention you must be careful applying what is considered normal now and what is actually normal and natural. Plucking of the eyebrow has been forbidden. In my heart removing these hairs that you refer to makes me incredibly uneasy since I consider this area part and parcel of my eyebrow.

Neatness and tidiness of your face by removing facial hair should not be applied to your eyebrows. The hadith is extremely clear in black and white you become CURSED. It is not similar to say it is haram. You become CURSED so be very careful. None of us wishes to be CURSED by Allah in what could be this life and the next.

Sister if there was really was some ambiguity here I would be the first to investigate it since it is not our culture not to do our eyebrows. I would look 10 times prettier than I do now if I did my eyebrows and what girl would not want that option but how can I go against such a clear hadith? surely it would be my downfall.

ukhtuk
    Guests

Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): “Allah has cursed women who tattoo their bodies, wear false hair, those who pluck their eyebrows, and those who artificially widen gaps between their teeth.”

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Islamonline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503548812#ixzz1BMIhgyWz

Plucking the hair around the eyebrows is not considered eyebrows. We are here discussing a topic, gathering other information. I've already have had a clear answer, but would like to see what others have been told, or what they understand. I can argue too here a scholar says its okay, right?

It's clear the hadeeth is speaking about PLUCKING the eyebrow right out of its place but wanted different opinions. no need to get worked up
    Assalaam'alaykum,

Interestingly enough, the scholars mentioned in the link who permit shaping the eyebrows have not been mentioned my name.

Sister, I very recently stopped comitting this haram, evil action, after years of doing it. Whenver I wanted to stop, I'd read some where or hear from someone that there is leeway, and coupled with constant complements on how pretty my eyebrows were, I would stop for a while and then start again.

But the truth is clear. Rasoolullaah (SAW) has cursed women who remove hair from their eyebrows, be it plucking, threading whatever. Ukht, how many sisters here are advising you against the notion of shaping them and how many scholars we can mention who are against it based upon the hadeeth of Nabi (SAW). The link you mentioned is not comparable, the scholars were not even mentioned by name. Do you really wish to dwell on this and risk falling into something that brings the curse of Allaah SwT and His Rasool (SAW), or be on the safe side and forget about it.

SIs, i havent seen any woman with bad eyebrows subhanAllaah. We think we have big bushy eyebrows, but thats usually only us who think it. Now that I have stopped doing mine, they look much thinner than they did when i would thread them. |In fact, they dont make me look bad at all subhanAllaah. I may not get complements for them now, but we live for the aakhirah right...so who cares what people make of them.

My sincere advice to you sis, just leave them be.

sisterunreg
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkpink View Post
    Sister,

I have understood that plucking the eyebrows is haram. All the evidence I have understood gives the exemption of plucking BETWEEN the eyebrows-which is not considered the eyebrows.

I do not understand the fatwa that you have posted. I can not understand how something in a hadith is so clear but the scholar has given a completely different answer. I mostly take my understandings from islam-qa.com or ask-imam.com. If it makes your heart easy to follow the scholars advice so be it.

Do remember that if you look long and hard enough for anything you can find it. If I want to find a fatwa that hijab is not compulsory I can do so very easily on the internet. We should not follow what our desires say. But of course you should weigh up all opinions and reach your own conclusion inshAllah which is what I have done and which I understand you are doing. My heart rejects that I can touch my eyebrows with a tweezer or a razor. I can either nit pick on details or I can listen to the Messenger (saw) and obey his order.

I believe that if there is no gap between the thick black hairs of the eyebrow "shape" and these extra hairs then these extra hairs constitute your eyebrow shape. Having nice cleaned eyebrows is a modern invention you must be careful applying what is considered normal now and what is actually normal and natural. Plucking of the eyebrow has been forbidden. In my heart removing these hairs that you refer to makes me incredibly uneasy since I consider this area part and parcel of my eyebrow.

Neatness and tidiness of your face by removing facial hair should not be applied to your eyebrows. The hadith is extremely clear in black and white you become CURSED. It is not similar to say it is haram. You become CURSED so be very careful. None of us wishes to be CURSED by Allah in what could be this life and the next.

Sister if there was really was some ambiguity here I would be the first to investigate it since it is not our culture not to do our eyebrows. I would look 10 times prettier than I do now if I did my eyebrows and what girl would not want that option but how can I go against such a clear hadith? surely it would be my downfall.
    Sister you have to understand the ummah is not all arab or pakistani culture. There are a lot of european muslims who do not have bushy eyebrows but are naturally thin and they have a few stray hairs that do not touch the eyebrows. Im not going to sit here and lie to you that there is hair that do not touch or constitute to the eyebrow shape above or below on the eyelids (few). as with the middle of the eyebrows. some women have a completely straight eyebrow called a unibrow, does that mean she cannot fix her eyebrows so that she may have two?

and i have said a ton of times that im not debating about shaping the eyebrows, which is why i am failing to get some real opinions. i have stated shaping your eyebrows is haram or altering it, but was speaking about the hair AROUND the shape of your eyebrows that are NOT constituting to the shape of your eyebrow.

the hadeeth is speaking about women who shape their eyebrows, because its considered altering allahs creation, the shape and look he gave you.

Sister you have to understand the ummah is not all arab or pakistani culture. There are a lot of european muslims who do not have bushy eyebrows but are naturally thin and they have a few stray hairs that do not touch the eyebrows. Im not going to sit here and lie to you that there is hair that do not touch or constitute to the eyebrow shape above or below on the eyelids (few). as with the middle of the eyebrows. some women have a completely straight eyebrow called a unibrow, does that mean she cannot fix her eyebrows so that she may have two?

and i have said a ton of times that im not debating about shaping the eyebrows, which is why i am failing to get some real opinions. i have stated shaping your eyebrows is haram or altering it, but was speaking about the hair AROUND the shape of your eyebrows that are NOT constituting to the shape of your eyebrow.

the hadeeth is speaking about women who shape their eyebrows, because its considered altering allahs creation, the shape and look he gave you.
    The Prophet (saw) said "Beware of Satan, for your safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things."

All I know is that the Prophet (saw) said Do not pluck the eyebrow. It is too much to question tiny details of clear words. You should ask a sheikh inshAllah if you are concerned.

From what I have read the area between the eyebrows is not considered "normal" and you are allowed to pluck so you do not have a unibrow.

The Prophet (saw) said "Beware of Satan, for your safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things."

All I know is that the Prophet (saw) said Do not pluck the eyebrow. It is too much to question tiny details of clear words. You should ask a sheikh inshAllah if you are concerned whether you can remove stray hairs.

As-Salamalaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu!

Ok Eyebrow plucking is Haraam!
    Can ny1n plzz shed a lil' light Concerning Bleaching Eyebrows?
    Like Dye-ing them so they appear a little lighter in Colour?

JizakALLAH khair!
    lol this i my first ever post

Unregistered345
    Guests

Post Re: Eyebrow Plucking Argument

I converted to Islam a year ago but recently discovered that there's a "problem" with shaping of the eyebrows...now I do pluck, but only one or two grains of hair that make it look untidy...I fell when I was little, cut myself on the forehead and lost half of my right eyebrow (that never grew back) therefore now I use pencil to fill in the missing half and also even off both...I don't pluck to make them thinner, because my eyebrows are naturally scant, but rather, I pencil in some extra to make it look more natural and slightly thicker...tell me sisters, is what I am doing haram?

Kayamat
    Guests

I need to know whats the point in not making eyebrows.I know that i should not saying this, that Why ALLah or Prophet (SAW) ordered us to obey this and that.. But i am confuse in my self, that Does plucking hairs from eyebrows shows that a woman is noble or not? What if a woman dont do eyebrows, does it mean she is noble? I mean to say that, there are many other acts to make ourself on a right way, we need to leave bribe, interest, zina, other haram things in life. Why is it necessary to look at the small small things such as Fight on eyebrows making issue.......? Above all. ALLAH will look at our intentions, our heart, our actions, not our look and body..

Please explain and correct me if ia m wrong any where. thanks a lot

makanatix
    Guests

does anybody actually read the hadith concerning this matter and contemplate what it means
    Allah swt has given us brains in order to think and to ponder not as so much as to blind follow

the hadith mentions being cursed by getting tatoos, filing the teeth and plucking the eyebrows

now the analysis of the hadith( the interpretation) comes from our scholars. Which they analyse the hadith
    so firstly they look at the topic
    changing the creation of Allah
    this is what is stipulated
    this is what is crystal clear to anyone who hears or reads the hadith
    at the time of the Prophet s.a.s post arabia as well like the sister mentioned they use to pluck there whole eyebrows off
    so this makes sense
    the women that remove their eyebrows then get it tatood as well

so the hadith has a general straight forward statement
    now a non muslim reading this hadith not hearing it from anyone else would automatically assume someone removing their eyebrow
    nowere does it state the middle of the brow the side top or bottom
    so its refering to something in particular which is the whole eyebrow
    so now if women were to clean the hair from around there eyebrows would that be considered removing or "plucking" your eyebrow?
    the explanations or interpretations on some ahadith are at times just a mere explanation on what the shiwk or scholar advises us to do and not all.times are they 100% correct. Thats why theres so many diffwrent sect these days
    hanbalis, hanafis, malikis, shafiies , etc point of views or interpratations are different
    Finally to the topic of the hadith
    is cleaning up hair around your eyebrows really "CHANGING" the creation of Allah..? ..or is it more looking after yourself
    for your husband?? common sense
    i dont know why people love to debate about things without really thinking about the matter or why something has been ordained. Is this what really the muslims are about these days..

22. 20-08-13, 05:46 PM