Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Tafseer Class, Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Saturday 6:30pm GMT (7:30pm BST/GMT+1) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Thread: Epilepsy Help

Account Disabled

Epilepsy Help

epilepsey

I have a friend who suffers from epilepsey and the seizures that come with it. Over the last year , it's been getting worse for him.

Can you please provide some duas.

Also what is the Islamic view on this and Islamic healing methods.

Re: Epilepsey

There is a hadith narrated by ‘Ata bin Abi Rabah:

Ibn ‘Abbas once said to me, “Shall I show you a woman of the people of Paradise?”

I said, “Yes.”

He said, “This black lady came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said, ‘I get attacks of epilepsy and my body becomes uncovered; please invoke Allah for me.’ The Prophet said (to her), ‘If you wish, be patient and you will have Paradise; and if you wish, I will invoke Allah to cure you.’ She said, ‘I will remain patient,’ and added, ‘but I become uncovered, so please invoke Allah for me that I may not become uncovered.’ So he invoked Allah for her.” - Bukhari :: Book 7 :: Volume 70 :: Hadith 555

This hadith was published recently on MuslimasOasis.com, and I was fascinated by the many comments from readers who have epilepsy and have been inspired or comforted by this hadith.

One sister wrote:

“(This hadith) was a comfort to me as an epileptic when I had a seizure outside of a masjid on the pavement in Philadephia during a busy Jumaah afternoon. When I came to, my niqab was removed, my hijab loosened, and my husband and a brother were helping the paramedics that had arrived. Because of this hadith I felt comfort in spite of being such a spectacle, alhamdulillah.”

Another said:

“I too am an epileptic. When I first reverted to Islam over 3 years ago, one of the sisters who witnessed my Shahada wrote this hadith out and gave it to me. It is a HUGE comfort to know this. May Allah ease the trials of all epileptics and those who suffer from any disease and grant us all sabr. Ameen!”

And there were other similar comments, from men and women, ma-sha-Allah.

I don’t have epilepsy or any other serious sickeness, Alhamdulillah (praise God) for all His blessings. But as I read the comments of people who do have some illness and have been tremendously comforted by this hadith, all of a sudden I realized the huge wisdom of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in what he said to the epileptic woman. He could have simply invoked for her and she would have been cured, and then all of us 1,400 years later would read the story and say, “Ma-sha-Allah, another miracle to prove his Prophethood.” But it would have no lasting personal significance.

Instead, by asking the woman to be patient and promising her Jannah (Paradise), the Prophet (pbuh) has sent a message of hope down through the ages to all the other sufferers in the world: Allah sees your suffering. Your pain will be compensated, and your patience rewarded with the greatest possible prize.

Even today epilepsy cannot be cured, though it can be controlled somewhat through medication. So even now, all these years later, in this age of medical wonders, this hadith still has immediate significance for people who suffer from this illness, and in fact from people who suffer from any illness, from cancer to leprosy to bipolar disorder.

Another point of note is that every Prophet was sent with certain types of miracles appropriate to the understanding of their people. Musa (Moses, peace be upon him) was sent with the staff of power and the white hand, because his mission was to a people steeped in sorcery. “Medical miracles” – curing the sick, even bringing the dead back to life – were the hallmark of the Prophet Isa ibn Maryam (Jesus son of Mary, pbuh), because he was sent to a people who specialized in healing arts.

If the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) had made it his habit to cure the sick, the Christians might say about us Muslims, “Oh, you are only taking Biblical stories and applying them to your Prophet.”

Instead, though the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) performed his share of wonders, he was given the greatest miracle of all, the Quran, a living proof through the millenia, and a source of eternal guidance. This is appropriate because his immediate mission was to a people of poetry, of language and eloquence; while his greater mission was to all of humanity.

“Say: ‘If the whole of mankind and Jinns were to gather together to produce the like of this Qur’an, they could not produce the like of it, even if they backed up each other with help and support.’” (Quran 17:88)

Did the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), a mere shepherd and trader living almost one and a half thousand years ago in the lonely deserts of Arabia, realize the lasting significance of his actions? Did he perceive the way his words and deeds would echo down the annals of history?

Sure he did. He was a man of great wisdom, courage and natural intelligence. He did not do things randomly, especially in matters of worship. And he was guided by Allah in these matters, so that his actions could serve as an example for humanity until the Day of Resurrection.

By Wael Abdelgawad for IslamicSunrays.com
    http://islamicsunrays.com/the-incide...ileptic-woman/
    "The world "shams" (sun) is feminine, and "qamar" (moon) is masculine. The sun burns itself out to give light and life to everything around, and the moon is muneer, meaning it reflects the light. Within itself it has no light; it radiates the brilliance of the sun. So when we shine as men, the implication is that we are reflecting the glorious light of our women. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'aala be pleased with them." - Shaykh Abdullah Adhami

Ibn ‘Abbas once said to me, “Shall I show you a woman of the people of Paradise?”

I said, “Yes.”

He said, “This black lady came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said, ‘I get attacks of epilepsy and my body becomes uncovered; please invoke Allah for me.’ The Prophet said (to her), ‘If you wish, be patient and you will have Paradise; and if you wish, I will invoke Allah to cure you.’ She said, ‘I will remain patient,’ and added, ‘but I become uncovered, so please invoke Allah for me that I may not become uncovered.’ So he invoked Allah for her.” - Bukhari :: Book 7 :: Volume 70 :: Hadith 555

This hadith was published recently on MuslimasOasis.com, and I was fascinated by the many comments from readers who have epilepsy and have been inspired or comforted by this hadith.

One sister wrote:

“(This hadith) was a comfort to me as an epileptic when I had a seizure outside of a masjid on the pavement in Philadephia during a busy Jumaah afternoon. When I came to, my niqab was removed, my hijab loosened, and my husband and a brother were helping the paramedics that had arrived. Because of this hadith I felt comfort in spite of being such a spectacle, alhamdulillah.”

Another said:

“I too am an epileptic. When I first reverted to Islam over 3 years ago, one of the sisters who witnessed my Shahada wrote this hadith out and gave it to me. It is a HUGE comfort to know this. May Allah ease the trials of all epileptics and those who suffer from any disease and grant us all sabr. Ameen!”

I don’t have epilepsy or any other serious sickeness, Alhamdulillah (praise God) for all His blessings. But as I read the comments of people who do have some illness and have been tremendously comforted by this hadith, all of a sudden I realized the huge wisdom of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in what he said to the epileptic woman. He could have simply invoked for her and she would have been cured, and then all of us 1,400 years later would read the story and say, “Ma-sha-Allah, another miracle to prove his Prophethood.” But it would have no lasting personal significance.

Instead, by asking the woman to be patient and promising her Jannah (Paradise), the Prophet (pbuh) has sent a message of hope down through the ages to all the other sufferers in the world: Allah sees your suffering. Your pain will be compensated, and your patience rewarded with the greatest possible prize.

Even today epilepsy cannot be cured, though it can be controlled somewhat through medication. So even now, all these years later, in this age of medical wonders, this hadith still has immediate significance for people who suffer from this illness, and in fact from people who suffer from any illness, from cancer to leprosy to bipolar disorder.

Another point of note is that every Prophet was sent with certain types of miracles appropriate to the understanding of their people. Musa (Moses, peace be upon him) was sent with the staff of power and the white hand, because his mission was to a people steeped in sorcery. “Medical miracles” – curing the sick, even bringing the dead back to life – were the hallmark of the Prophet Isa ibn Maryam (Jesus son of Mary, pbuh), because he was sent to a people who specialized in healing arts.

If the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) had made it his habit to cure the sick, the Christians might say about us Muslims, “Oh, you are only taking Biblical stories and applying them to your Prophet.”

Instead, though the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) performed his share of wonders, he was given the greatest miracle of all, the Quran, a living proof through the millenia, and a source of eternal guidance. This is appropriate because his immediate mission was to a people of poetry, of language and eloquence; while his greater mission was to all of humanity.

“Say: ‘If the whole of mankind and Jinns were to gather together to produce the like of this Qur’an, they could not produce the like of it, even if they backed up each other with help and support.’” (Quran 17:88)

Did the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), a mere shepherd and trader living almost one and a half thousand years ago in the lonely deserts of Arabia, realize the lasting significance of his actions? Did he perceive the way his words and deeds would echo down the annals of history?

Sure he did. He was a man of great wisdom, courage and natural intelligence. He did not do things randomly, especially in matters of worship. And he was guided by Allah in these matters, so that his actions could serve as an example for humanity until the Day of Resurrection.

"The world "shams" (sun) is feminine, and "qamar" (moon) is masculine. The sun burns itself out to give light and life to everything around, and the moon is muneer, meaning it reflects the light. Within itself it has no light; it radiates the brilliance of the sun. So when we shine as men, the implication is that we are reflecting the glorious light of our women. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'aala be pleased with them." - Shaykh Abdullah Adhami

Reminded me of this Hadith:

Abu Sulaiman says that once a group of Companions were in an expedition (ghazwa) when they happened to come across an epileptic person, who was unconscious. One of the Companions recited Surah Al-Fatiha and blew in his ear. The epileptic person immediately cured. When Sayyidana Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) was informed of this, he said: “It (Surah Al-Fatiha) is “The Mother of the Quran” (Umm al-Quran) and is a cure for every disease.”
    [This narration has been recorded by Ath-Thua’lbi from Abu Sulaiman, who narrated it from Muawiya bin Saleh (radhi Allah anhu), Tafseer Mazhari 1:31]
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Account Disabled

Jazakallah Khair for all the good advice.

Can I just ask with respect to the Hadith of the black woman, could this hadith be applied to men too who experience embarrassment and humiliation when they have seizures in front of people ?

If you have any further advice , please do post .

...اللهم أحفظ لنا قلوبنا whisperofimaan's Avatar

^ I'm sure it does akhi. The mercy of Allah reaches all.
    I'm very happy at how our epilepic broterhs and sisters relate to this hadith... honestly I didn't see it from that angle. May Allah SWT keep them all on the straight path inshaAllah.
    My advice is that make du3a for our brothers to not get uncovered either and if your there with them, help keep them covered inshaAllah.
    الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Account Disabled

Re: Epilepsy

Epilepsy is like temporARy death, its like the person goes into complete shutdown and into a void.

It's medically incurable. Which makes it worse. Surgery is an extreme and rare procedure too.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperofimaan View Post
    ^ I'm sure it does akhi. The mercy of Allah reaches all.
    I'm very happy at how our epilepic broterhs and sisters relate to this hadith... honestly I didn't see it from that angle. May Allah SWT keep them all on the straight path inshaAllah.
    My advice is that make du3a for our brothers to not get uncovered either and if your there with them, help keep them covered inshaAllah.
    Last edited by Arsalan; 26-12-10 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Epilepsy

Account Disabled

Re: Epilepsy

Epilepsy
    Even if the clothing of men does not cOme off, it's still embarrassing for them. There is still such a stigma attached to it and a person looks crazy and they thInk ur mind is messed up.

I don't know whether we can interpret this from the Hadith.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiyah View Post

I said, “Yes.”

One sister wrote:

Another said:

Last edited by Arsalan; 26-12-10 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Epilepsy

Re: Epilepsy Help

Jazzak Allah and very helpfull indeed, i just read on internet for a dua'a that might be helpfull, do read through. Inshallah Allah will forgive our sins and will mercy on us

"A Brief Description of the Question:
    Is there a prayer to be read for the disease of epilepsy?
    The Answer:
    PRAYERS TO BE READ FOR A PERSON DURING AN EPILEPTIC SEIZURE

1. If ayat al-kursi is read 21 times near a person who is undergoing an epileptic seizure, he will recover inshaallah.

2. A woman went to the Prophet (pbuh) and told him that her child had an epileptic seizure; she asked him to pray for her child. The Messenger of Allah advised her to read the following verse. When the woman read it, her child recovered.
    "Bismillahirrahmanirrahim. Wa nunazzilu mina'l-Qur'ani ma huwa shifaun wa rahmatin li'l-mu'minin. Wa la yazidu'z-zalimina illa khasara." (al-Isra, 17/82)
    ITS MEANING: "We send down (stage by stage) in the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe: to the unjust it causes nothing but loss after loss."

3. The verses 115-118 of the chapter al-Mu'minun (23) should be read.
    A fa hasibtum annama khalaqnakum abathan wa antum ilayna la turjaun.
    Fa taala'llahu'l-maliku'l-haqqu, la ilaha illa hu. Rabbu'l-arshi'l-karim.
    Wa man yad'u maallahi ilahan akhara la burhana lahu bihi, fa innama hisabuhu inda rabbihi; innaha la yuflihu'l-kafirun.
    Wa qul rabbi'ghfir wa'rham, wa anta khayru'r-rahimin." (al-Mu'minun, 23/115-118) THEIR MEANING:
    "Did ye then think that We had created you in jest, and that ye would not be brought back to Us (for account)?"
    Therefore exalted be Allah, the King the Reality; there is no god but He, the Lord of the Throne of Honor! If anyone invokes, besides Allah any other god, he has no authority thereof; and his reckoning will be only with his Lord!
    And verily the Unbelievers will fail to win through!
    So say: "O my Lord! grant Thou forgiveness and mercy! for Thou art the Best of those who show mercy!".
    EXPLANATION: Abdullah bin Mas'ud (may Allah be pleased with him) read those verse into the ear of a person who had an epileptic seizure and was affected by a jinni. The person recovered immediately. Thereupon, the Prophet (pbuh) asked him, “What did you read into his ear?” Ibn Mas'ud answered: "I read the verses ‘A fa hasibtum annama khalaqnakum..’. The Messenger of Allah said, “If someone read those verses with full belief and fidelity to a mountain, the mountain would move."

Büyük Dua Hazinesi, Bilal Eren END OF QUOTE