Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

4th alphabet in arabic

How do u pronounce it? ....

is it 'SA' or 'THA'? .... i mean ive heard it being pronounced 'SA' but online it reads 'THA ...

Re: 4th alphabet in arabic

yes, the correct form is Tha

"SAA" in Indo-Pak region, I think.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Tha is correct. That's Th as in 'think', not 'this'. In colloquial Arabic, it's pronounced 'ta', same as the letter preceding it.

so all the pakistanis read it wrong? .... man all this time , ive been reading it as 'SA' .... this is going to be hard ... but good thing im starting from square 1

What?
    No, I'm not gonna restart.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    What?
    so u'll read it 'sa' still and not 'tha'?

Yeah, that's how I've been taught.
    But, I don't know if I even read SAA anywhere.

so what is the correct way to read it? ... whos wrong here?

Yeah, that's how I've been taught.
    But, I don't know if I even read SAA anywhere.
    but now you know the correct way of pronouncing it. its now your duty to ask for forgiveness and learn the correct way...

Quote Originally Posted by noobz View Post
    so what is the correct way to read it? ... whos wrong here?
    the correct way is Tha as said by purple something and khalid something lol

I think both is correct. Not sure, though.

It's like reading...

"Ṣirāṭ al-laḏīna an'amta 'alayhim ġayril maġḍūbi 'alayhim walāḍ ḍāllīn."

I read it as follows...

"Ṣirāṭ al-lazīna an'amta 'alayhim ġayril maġḍūbi 'alayhim walāḍ ḍāllīn."

im quite shocked that muslims dont even know the correct pronounciation of arabic alphabets and i only found out after getting suspicious as to why why it was reading 'tha' in whichever website i opened ...

im quite shocked that muslims dont even know the correct pronounciation of arabic alphabets and i only found out after getting suspicious as to why why it was reading 'tha' in whichever website i opened ...
    Both is good, man.
    Stop saying that. Grrr...
    Last edited by .mirror.; 10-12-10 at 06:40 AM.

Both is good, man.
    Stop saying that. Grrr...
    how can both be good? ... do u pronounce the english alphabet 'T' in some other pronounciation?

English is different, though.

See this.
    Last edited by .mirror.; 10-12-10 at 06:52 AM.

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar

it's tha

it's important to read the quraan properly akhis, regardless of what you have been taught because imagine, the quraan is the book of Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala, how can we try and distort it (although not intentionally). imagine when somebody says our name wrong, how annoyed we get, so imagine if we continously read the book of Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala incorrectly even though there are resources available to help us with tajweed, etc

imagine if there was a brother called thierry henry but we kept calling him zierry henry, it changes the whole sound and no doubt the whole meaning...
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Molvis is Desi countries read it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
    it's tha

it's important to read the quraan properly akhis, regardless of what you have been taught because imagine, the quraan is the book of Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala, how can we try and distort it (although not intentionally). imagine when somebody says our name wrong, how annoyed we get, so imagine if we continously read the book of Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala incorrectly even though there are resources available to help us with tajweed, etc

imagine if there was a brother called thierry henry but we kept calling him zierry henry, it changes the whole sound and no doubt the whole meaning...
    actually henry in his name is pronounced like aunry ...

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar

actually henry in his name is pronounced like aunry ...
    focus on the thierry bit bro
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Listen to this recitation at 0:24.

Then...

Listen to this recitation at 0:24.

It's like reading...

I read it as follows...

in arabic the other pronounciations are wrong
    mirror you cant claim they are both correct because it is just not true
    maybe when speaking urdu it is correct to pronounce those letters in that way, but not while speaking arabic so when reciting quran u need to adjust it to the correct one
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

I think both is correct. Not sure, though.

It's like reading...

I read it as follows...

Both cannot be correct, if you pronounce it as 'Ṣirāṭ al-lazīna' you will change the meaning to:

"The path of Zina whom you have favoured..."
    Last edited by ahaneefah; 10-12-10 at 09:05 AM.

In fact:

If a person who is leading the prayer or praying behind an imam makes mistakes in the recitation of al-Faatihah in such a way that he changes the meaning of the verses, then his prayer is invalid, because al-Faatihah is one of the pillars or essential parts of the prayer, so he must recite it correctly and learn to recite al-Faatihah properly, unless he is unable to do so, after trying hard, for Allaah does not burden any person beyond his scope. But if he is an imam, no one should pray behind him except those who are like him or less able than him to recite al-Faatihah properly.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is makrooh for one who makes grammatical mistakes when reciting the Qur’aan to lead the prayer, but it is subject to further discussion. If he makes mistakes that do not change the meaning, such as using incorrect vowels in the phrase al-hamdu Lillaah, then his prayer is valid as is the prayer of those who follow him. But if it does change the meaning, such as saying an’amtu (first person) instead of an’amta (second person) ‘alayhim, then his prayer is invalid. If he is able to learn how to pronounce it properly, then he must do so, but if he is unable to do so and there is not enough time, he should pray and make it up later on, but it is not permissible to follow him (in prayer).

But if he is not able to learn or he has not had enough time to learn, if that is in al-Faatihah then the prayer of others like him that is offered behind him is valid, but if people who can pronounce it properly pray behind him, it is like the prayer of a literate person offered behind an illiterate person (i.e., the prayer is not valid). If it is in something other than al-Faatihah then his prayer is valid, as is the prayer of those who pray behind him. End quote from Rawdat al-Taalibeen (1/350).

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “If an illiterate man leads another illiterate man and a literate man in prayer, the literate man has to repeat his prayer”the illiterate man is one who cannot recite al-Faatihah or part of it properly, or he mispronounces one letter of it, even if he recites the rest of it well. It is not permissible for one who can recite it well to be led by him in prayer, but it is permissible for others like him to be led by him.

Then he said: Whoever omits one of the letters of al-Faatihah because he is unable to pronounce it, or he substitutes another letter for it, such as the person with a speech defect who substitutes ghayn for ra’, or who contracts one letter into another, or who recites with grammatical mistakes that alter the meaning, like the one who uses the wrong vowel in the word iyaaka and says iyyaaki instead, or says an’amtu instead of an’amta, and cannot correct it – such a one is like an illiterate person, and it is not permissible for a literate person to be led by him in prayer, but it is permissible for any of them to lead another like him in prayer, because they are both illiterate, so it is permissible for one of them to be led by the other, like two who do not do a thing well. But if he is able to correct any of that but he does not do so, then his prayer is not valid and neither is the prayer of one who is led by him.

He also said: It is makrooh for one who makes grammatical mistakes when reciting but does not alter the meaning to lead the prayer. This was stated by Ahmad, but it is valid for him to lead one who does not make mistakes when reciting, because he has fulfilled the obligation of reciting. If he alters the meaning in something other than al-Faatihah that does not mean that his prayer is not valid and that he should not lead others in prayer, unless he does it deliberately, in which case the prayer of both is invalidated.

If his mistakes do not change the meaning of the verses, then it is permissible to pray behind him, but it is obligatory to teach him how to recite properly. If his mistake is in something other than al-Faatihah, it detracts from his prayer but does not invalidate it, but it is undoubtedly better to pray behind one who recites properly, and it is not permissible for those in authority to appoint such ignorant people to lead the people in prayer otherwise they will have a share of the sin with them. See: al-Mughni (3/29-32)

Account Disabled

How do u pronounce it? ....

is it 'SA' or 'THA'? .... i mean ive heard it being pronounced 'SA' but online it reads 'THA ...
    Alif pesh oooo
    Beh pesh booo

ulta pesh
    khari zabar
    khari zer
    Beh ulti pesh bun

:S

Quote Originally Posted by islam4u2 View Post
    Alif pesh oooo
    Beh pesh booo

ulta pesh
    khari zabar
    khari zer
    Beh ulti pesh bun

and i have no idea what ur saying ...

Noobz, u have to know exactly where each letter comes out from, otherwise u wont pronounce it right.
    There is no such thing as an Israel,
    It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

http://studyislaam.org/hifdh/file.php/1/makhaarijsifaattajweed_charts/Makhaarij1.jpg
    There is no such thing as an Israel,
    It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

I hate this thing about Desi moulvis. I was taught 'sa' then I started learning Arabic then I found out it was 'tha'. Same thing with a bunch of other letters like 'saad' not 'suad'. Sometimes I wish I had an Arab teacher rather these desi ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMuslimah View Post
    Tha is correct. That's Th as in 'think', not 'this'. In colloquial Arabic, it's pronounced 'ta', same as the letter preceding it.
    MashAllah , u explaind it very well

for the brother who said he wouldn`t restart learning although he might need it >>>>> :S don`t you think you need to read the Quran correctly ?

there are 28 letters in the Arabic alphabet, that's one alphabet of 28 letters... you mean the 4th letter. (sorry to be pedantic, but I see this mistake a lot in educational materials, and it's very worrying when books/resources designed to teach make this mistake!!)

yes it's th like in thing - this highlights the importance of learning tajweed (correct pronunciation) from either a native Arabic speaker, or someone who has native equivalent pronuciation in Arabic. Some non Arabic teachers and books written by non Arabs do things like pronounce/transliterate about 7 or 8 different letters as z or s. There's only one letter in Arabic with the same sound as the English z and the same sound as the English s. The others have different sounds. There are several letters in Arabic that don't have equivalent sounds in English and need to be taught by someone who pronounces Arabic correctly. I went to a tajweed course mashaAllah, but there were several sisters on the course who had learned tajweed wrongly because of this, i.e. pronounced a number of letters wrong, and had to not only relearn the pronunciation, but also relearn all the Qur'an they'd memorised wrongly again with the correct pronunciation.

My advice: if you can, do a tajweed course with someone who is qualified to teach tajweed (not all Arabs pronounce all the letters correctly because the dialects are not always the same as fus-ha (classical Arabic) and non Arabs with good pronunciation can still get it right and teach it well) ----- if you can't do that, then get a "learn to speak Arabic" book/CD set (as in for learning the langauge), one that says it teaches standard or classical Arabic, as these include sections on how to pronounce all the letters/sounds in Arabic. It's not as good as having a teacher right there with you to correct you, but at least you'll get to hear how they're supposed to sound.
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 10-12-10 at 11:35 AM.

Even Shiekh Shuraim read it in both ways.
    Post 21.

just listened to that but both are pronounced as the correct way/same way neither is said allazeena, ur hearing must be off?
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

No, he said La-zina and la-dina...
    We need a second opinion.

Anna is right, he didn't say 'z'

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Foulana blog

What?
    Well you're gonna be sinning whilst pronouncing the words incorrectly...
    Not a good idea if you ask me

Alif pesh oooo
    Beh pesh booo

ulta pesh
    khari zabar
    khari zer
    Beh ulti pesh bun

Loll you clearly read memorised the Qaida eh

The first one did sound a bit more like 'd' than the second, but I think I'd have known what letter it was even if I didn't know the verse. The letter 'dhal' is pronounce like the th in 'this'. 'Z' is a completely different letter.

So, do all Urdu-speakers pronounce 'tha' the same was as 'seen'? Like, you'd refer to "a hadis used by Ibn Kaseer"?

Assalamu Alaykum brother,

It is Tha not Sa

THe person who doesnt have tajweed usually will say 'Sa' or 'Lazina' instead of 'Tha' and 'Ladhina'

Check out this post I made recently, it covers this and the website is pretty good for double checking pronunciation. The first letter has 3 dots btw, it's just a bit small

If you change the pronunciation you change the meaning, the most popular example being 'kalb' (with a kaaf) and 'qalb' (with a qaaf). One means heart and one means dog!

Alif pesh oooo
    Beh pesh booo

ulta pesh
    khari zabar
    khari zer
    Beh ulti pesh bun

Asian teaching! I remember my first proper arabic lesson, the ustaadh was saying 'dhamma, fat-ha, kasra' and I was like what now??
    It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
    -Muslim

at first it sounds like a 'zi' but listening closely for 5x , i think he said 'di'