Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Weight loss for middle aged muslim women...

Salamalikum forum!

From my name you can probably guess this is not for me...
    This is a big issue for people...especially asian women!

So any tips...i want to tell my mum - i keep telling her to change diet...but mashaAllah her food is so nice cant stop having it

All i can think of is like walking...what else can a middle aged muslimah do?!

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet said,
    "Allah will cover up on the Day of Resurrection the defects (faults) of the one who covers up the faults of the others in this world"[Muslim]

Beardyman

Re: Weight loss for middle aged muslim women...

grow a beard i presume

lol i dont know. do you mean a diet plan for middle aged women?

bint begum wants a diet plan user Beardymann, please provide

weight watchers or slimming world? slimming world i think is quite good because she can have the same food but adapt the way she makes it, asian food is quite healthy other than the oil content.. so like if she can adapt the recipe then she can eat it without worrying, u can get low calorie oil sprays but obviously it is not as easy 2 cook with it in exactly the same way like frying onions etc wil get u a better result with real oil but still u can make normal food in this kinda low fat and healthy way and its something easier to impliment than just to stop eating or only live on salad
    she could go 2 a womens gym, or have some exercise machines @ home, as well as walking
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Quote Originally Posted by Beardyman View Post
    Salamalikum forum!

So any tips...i want to tell my mum - i keep telling her to change diet...but mashaAllah her food is so nice cant stop having it

Maybe you ask her to cut down on the frying, stop snacking, reducing meal size, eat 5 fruit/veg a day, etc

Insha Allah that helps
    "For us Allah is Sufficient and He is the best Disposer of affairs" (Qur'an 3:173)

getting out and walking or working out is really helpful too.. if she wants to be alone and do some cardio... a wii fit plus is wonderful... if she's eating a lot of fried or processed foods or sugary sodas cutting them out will help... but honestly.. even w/ a change in diet ... exercise really does help and its good for things that aren't "just" weight loss.
    Salaam
    (by the way before anyone thinks i'm critical.. i'm in the gym 4-5 days at least a week.. and its also great stress relief.

If she's doing all that and still having problems she may want to see a doctor to make sure there are no health reasons like diabestes or thyroid issues that will affect weight loss.
    Serena

Quote Originally Posted by Beardyman View Post
    Salamalikum forum!

Best would be to ask the doctor, GP maybe? i think they give a rough idea and sometimes diet plan.

If its for middle aged women, it might be better to stay on safe side, esp if one has any medical conditions.

General tips would be, drink alot of water, exercise regular (over 20mins), eat properly, 3 meals if possible, eat more during the morning and less at night, cut down on not needed food, like chips, less fried food, less sodas, drink water or orange juice instead, get into a good pattern of doing things.

But id say consult gp still.

reduce carb intake helps ALOT....and exercise of course. drink lotsa water
    "The world "shams" (sun) is feminine, and "qamar" (moon) is masculine. The sun burns itself out to give light and life to everything around, and the moon is muneer, meaning it reflects the light. Within itself it has no light; it radiates the brilliance of the sun. So when we shine as men, the implication is that we are reflecting the glorious light of our women. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'aala be pleased with them." - Shaykh Abdullah Adhami

Quote Originally Posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
    bint begum wants a diet plan user Beardymann, please provide
    be quiet i'm still in my teens and not middle aged. and i dont need a diet plan either. maybe beardy man can give you some tips on how to grow a longer healthy looking beard.

as long as she is burning of the calories shes taking in it dont really matter how much ur eating! oviously dnt overeat

Asians eat way too much. Instead of eating a moderate amount till you are content, they'll eat till their stuffed and then take a nap. Thats how you get fat.

They need to cut down on their food intake. I mean I eat it and I'm fine but you need to eat the right amount. I tried advising but to no avail. They'll still pile the plates full of food and end up getting obese and diabetes. Its even worse back home where the rich are flippin obese and the poor are skeletal. I still never understood how people can eat that much food. Its .

Rant over.

omg i know desi's eat sooooooooooo much sometimes. sometimes i was mind boggled by seeing some ppl eat that much
    and led out a big deep burp
    haha and on top of that the CHAI that we HAVE to drink lolllll

Quote Originally Posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
    omg i know desi's eat sooooooooooo much sometimes. sometimes i was mind boggled by seeing some ppl eat that much
    and led out a big deep burp
    haha and on top of that the CHAI that we HAVE to drink lolllll
    I dont get the compulsion to drink tea! lol in afghan culture straight after food comes the tea - the kettle literally doesnt stop - they go through sooooo much subhanAllah - i'll admit i have had my day when ive had a glass or two of green tea lol
    "Allah will cover up on the Day of Resurrection the defects (faults) of the one who covers up the faults of the others in this world"[Muslim]

Beardyman

Btw i hear green tea is actually supposed to be really good for you? Apparently should have a glass a day...

Beardyman

Unless she has other health issues, she should be able to do the same kinds of sports or exercise programs anyone else can do. Walking is a good start, and maybe after she's gotten comfortable with that, she could work up to jogging. There are also plenty of team or groups sports that double as social events, if she likes that sort of thing. My mom used to take tennis lessons, partly because she enjoyed playing it, but also because she got to be friends with the other women in the group.

There are a lot of things to consider in order to seek out or help out some things about weight loss, and you just have to really make things work out on that one. For sure there would be a lot of things to really consider in order to make things work out on that accord.

Unfortunately as you age, it becomes more difficult to shift weight so a more 'drastic' approach needs to be established first. The person needs to cut down their sugar and salt intake, so when she gets a portion of her main meal, she needs to eat 1/3 of it. I'm certain she'll feel hungry but she needs to snack on fruits or nuts and the key is not to take a bowl of fruit but to chop up say an apple and leave the bowl in the kitchen and take a handful at a time. She'll only be able to shift weight through drastic lifestyle changes to see permenant results. Walking will help as well (30 minutes daily is recommended). If she has other health related illness, she needs to consult her doctor prior to exercising.

Asian food is not healthy, hence why the asian community have the highest rate of diabetes (amongst other issues) sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by butlersdog View Post
    There are a lot of things to consider in order to seek out or help out some things about weight loss, and you just have to really make things work out on that one. For sure there would be a lot of things to really consider in order to make things work out on that accord.
    Again, it really comes to discipline I guess. If it would be better to do that, then you can attain the goals that you want for the long run.

eat less, walk more.
    glass half empty

Alisha Mohammed Islam Attiyah Abdul Hamid's Avatar

more about exercising in hand with your intake of calories

if you eat so many calories you need to be able to burn off some fat aswell to balance everything out....

but i would say... portion control and maybe daily walk even just around the block
    drink plenty of water too helps a lot
    ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

simple formula
    It's balancing energy intake with energy expenditure

if your taking intake is more than expenditure, weight goes up, and if your energy expenditure is more then energy intake weight goes down.

Asian staple diet consists strongly of something known as RICE, its a complex carb but there a vast amount of calories in it. If she can cut down on rice, it will help significantly to reducing weight.

Other tips as already mentioned - drink plenty of water - keeps your stomach receptors streched - making your body think youve eaten, & good for general hydration.

Chewing Gum- helps to keep hunger away - but i dont know why lol

exercise - swift walking is very helpful ( i dont feel comfortable with the idea of a middle age mother going for a jog)

Odan

Salaam

Cut down fatty things, exercise.

The biggest problem is incentive and snacking on things throughout the day especially if you are home all day.

I have found the easiest way to lose weight is to fast. I have been catching up last year's Ramadan during these long days and have lost 5 kgs in one month. After breaking fast eat a little less than a normal meal (e.g try to have one chappati rather than two) and do not have fatty stuff. By the time fast is broken Magrib and Isha read it's pretty much time for bed so you don't get the time or chance to think oh I'm feeling peckish let me just snack on this or that. Because you are fasting the resolve and willpower increase substantially and you know you cannot eat even if you want to. Fasting at times other than Ramadan leads to more weight loss I think because during Ramadan there is a culture of having loads at iftar time and all sorts of delicacies and chatpati things one would not normally have.

We fast for sake of Allah but over-eating is a nafsi problem so fasting with intention of controlling nafs should be okay I think but not 100% sure.

Anyway have to go and feed my babies now.

Alisha Mohammed Islam Attiyah Abdul Hamid's Avatar

hope you and your mum come up with a plan

light exercise to start of with will do well
    ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

hi Beardyman
    try to tell your mum do regularly walking on early morning for one hour . Inshallah your mum will be fit long time
    weight loss surgery in mexico