Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Odan

Icon7 Flambe without alcohol??

is it possible to do flambe without alcohol for people who don't know what flambe is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamb%C3%A9

Flambé (also spelled flambe; pronounced /flɒmˈbeɪ/) is a cooking procedure in which alcohol is added to a hot pan to create a burst of flames. The word means flamed in French (thus, in French, flambé is a past participle; the verb is flamber).

so is it possible and how?

Re: Flambe without alcohol??

Wsalaam

What is the purpose of flambe? Does it increase flavour to the dish or is it simply a way of burning off the excess alcohol in the sauce?
    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

how is the alcohol derived? from grapes and dates?

No, cannot be done without alcohol. And used for flavor. It is done with many types of alcohol, depending upon the dish according to the food channel. Not something I do.

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Wsalaam

What is the purpose of flambe? Does it increase flavour to the dish or is it simply a way of burning off the excess alcohol in the sauce?
    well it is typically done to create an impressive visual presentation at a dramatic point in the preparation of a meal. The flames result from the partial combustion of the flammable alcohol, which is quickly consumed, subsequently extinguishing the flames (some alcohol content remains).

i am more intrested in the visual side of it though

i've actually done it accidentally .... ive done it on an egg accidentally(dont know how) and it didnt turn out good ...

and ive seen it being done in the restaurants here and there isnt any alcohol involved which im sure ....

It's hard to "flambe" without alcohol even impossible, i know that when you boil rhum/wine during like 20 min then the alcohol disappears which is may not the case when you flambe it (if there is a scientist somewhere help).

You can try rhum or wine without alcohol, but maybe a Non-Muslim friend would be welcome cause in the first suggestion you would need to buy alcohol lol
    My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
    Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

I can't think of anything else even remotely edible that would burn the way alcohol does.

seems its not halal because you cant be sure all the alcahol has burned away

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9040927AAvXAVx

and some chicken recipes (halal of coarse)

http://www.ifood.tv/network/halal_ch...ish/recipes/10

*****education is important but big biceps are importanter*****

Non-Muslim

Odan

so theres no way to do it without alcohol, what about using something which has a closer property to alcohol but ofcourse isnt alcohol

thanks everyone
    Last edited by hamza05; 05-12-10 at 07:33 PM.

Odan

i think i got it

"If you want the flames, but do not want the liquor in a dessert, soak sugar cubes in a flavored extract (not imitation). Place the cubes around the perimeter of the dish and light."

Quote Originally Posted by hamza05 View Post
    so theres no way to do it without alcohol, what about using something which has a closer property to alcohol but ofcourse isnt alcohol

thanks everyone
    petrol would give a similar (or perhaps more impressive) effect but you wouldn't want to eat the food afterwards

or how about nitro glycerine? that would give a very visually impressive explosion, although I'm not sure if the chef would live to tell the tale, and probably the people watching wouldn't either

sorry, you need a flammable (but not explosive) liquid that's also edible. I don't think there are any.

Odan

[QUOTE=dhakiyya;4100443]petrol would give a similar (or perhaps more impressive) effect but you wouldn't want to eat the food afterwards

or how about nitro glycerine? that would give a very visually impressive explosion, although I'm not sure if the chef would live to tell the tale, and probably the people watching wouldn't either

lol

yeahh i would want the show but i would want it to taste nice no point making food which has got bad taste lol, my other plan was to get grape jucie n mix it with loads of sugar but i doubt it would work and if it does its going to taste too sugary i think.

the only one which can work is that soacked sugar cube thingy ^^ but i dont know if am going to try that.

sugary grape juice isn't going to ignite the same way alcoholic drinks do, becuase it's the alcohol itself that burns up, leaving the other compoinds in the food/drink unburned, although some alcohol will remain in the food. Lots of food is flammable, but the whole thing will burn, and it will taste like you forgot to turn off the oven and came back 3 hours later! I honestly don't think there's anything that would make a halal flambee.... and I think trying to make one will involve putting some kind of toxic non food into it that's less healthy than alcohol, like petrol.... there are other kinds of alcohols, e.g. methanol, propanol etc, but they're waaaay more toxic than ethanol (the scientific name for the alcohol in beer, wine etc), you'll poison your guests if you do that!!!! ...why not try something else visually impressive?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sparklers.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	44914

what about these?

*****education is important but big biceps are importanter*****

Non-Muslim

Odan

Really need to know, is this possible?