Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: How much water should we use for wudu?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • About half a litre

8 53.33%
  • About a litre

2 13.33%
  • about 2 litres

2 13.33%
  • about 3 litres

2 13.33%
  • more than 4 litres

1 6.67%

How much water should we use for Wudu / Ghusl?

Salaam,

What do you think is the right amount of water to use?

56 - حدثنا أحمد بن منيع و علي بن حجر قالا حدثنا إسماعيل بن علية عن أبي ريحانة عن سفينة Y أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم كان يتوضأ بالمد ويغتسل بالصاع قال وفي الباب عن عائشة و جابر و أنس بن مالك قال أبو عيسى حديث سفينة حديث حسن صحيح و أبو ريحانة اسمه عبد الله بن مطر ] وهكذا رأى بعض أهل العلم الوضء بالمد والغسل بالصاع وقال الشافعي و أحمد و إسحق ليس معنى هذا الحديث على التوقيت أنه لا يجوز أكثر منه و لا أقل منه وهو قدر ما يكفي K صحيح

Sayyidinah Safinah (RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW) performed ablution with a
    mudd of water and the purifying bath with a sa’ of water.

Jami'i at Tirmidhi

I couldn't add two polls so say how much you think for Ghusl.
    Last edited by AbuIbraheem.; 24-11-10 at 11:31 AM.

Re: How much water should we use for Wudu / Ghusl?

Just in case people don't know litres - the one in the middle is half a litre and I think the one of the far right is a litre

Wow Cool Bottles

Id Say Half A Liter I Dunno
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

Again from Tirmidhi:

43 - باب [ ما جاء في ] كراهية الإسراف في الوضوء بالماء
    Makruh to use more water in ablution (Israaf)
    57 - حدثنا محمد بن بشار حدثنا أبو داود الطيالسي حدثنا خارجة بن مصعب عن يونس بن عبيد عن الحسن عن عتى بن ضمرة السعدي عن أبي كعب Y عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال إن للوضوء شيطانا يقال له الولهان فاتقوا وسواس الماء قال وفي الباب عن عبد الله بن عمرو و عبد الله بن مغفل قال أبو عيسى حديث أبي كعب حديث غريب وليس إسناده بالقوى [ والصحيح ] عند أهل الحديث لأنا لا نعلم أحدا أسنده غير خارجة وقد روى هذا الحديث من غير وجه عن الحسن قوله و لا يصح في هذا الباب عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم شيء و خارجة ليس بالقوى عند أصحابنا وضعفه ابن المبارك K ضعيف جدا

Sayyidina Ubayy ibn Ka'b(RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW) said, "There is a devil for
    ablution called Walahan. So, beware of temptations caused about water."

Israaf is when you spend on something that you need but more than is necessary.
    BTW - A mudd is about 544g (544ml)
    A sa’ is about 2176g (2176ml)

This is an estimate, not accurate measurements.

The Hadith relating to that can be found in Muslim and other books.

...اللهم أحفظ لنا قلوبنا whisperofimaan's Avatar

I think we should take into account that the Prophet SAW and the sahabah used to make wudhu in like a pot so they kept using the same water over again, right? So the amount of water they used must have been less unlike the sinks we have now, where Allahu a3lam how much water goes down the drain.
    الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Quote Originally Posted by whisperofimaan View Post
    I think we should take into account that the Prophet SAW and the sahabah used to make wudhu in like a pot so they kept using the same water over again, right? So the amount of water they used must have been less unlike the sinks we have now, where Allahu a3lam how much water goes down the drain.
    Actually the Hanafis don't allow that - I don't think it is Sunnah to use the same used water.
    From my Fiqh lessons I understand that water that has been used in Wudu cannot be used again unless it is from a big amount of water (10 litres?)

Not sure, but a lot, that's for sure.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

...اللهم أحفظ لنا قلوبنا whisperofimaan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbuHaneefah View Post
    Actually the Hanafis don't allow that - I don't think it is Sunnah to use the same used water.
    From my Fiqh lessons I understand that water that has been used in Wudu cannot be used again unless it is from a big amount of water (10 litres?)
    hmmm I don't understand why not. I meant like u have a bowl that has just been filled with water, that water can be used right? And what I learnt is that water is pure/clean and doesn't become unclean unless it's colour or smell has changed. But I think there's rules of fiqh regarding still and flowing water.
    الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

I'm a brother!

I think I don't user 500ml for wudhu, and I don' tthink I use 2l for ghusal. For example, I think I use probably more than a liter just to rinse the soap of my hands when beginning wudhu, when it comes to the face, I probably use a liter just to wash the soap of my face and so on...

I am probably over doing it...

hmmm I don't understand why not. I meant like u have a bowl that has just been filled with water, that water can be used right? And what I learnt is that water is pure/clean and doesn't become unclean unless it's colour or smell has changed. But I think there's rules of fiqh regarding still and flowing water.
    You shouldn't re-use wudu water, even though it's still technically clean.
    So, say, if you're making wudu and some of it splashes on the person next to you, his wudu is valid, but that doesn't mean you can keep using that water.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

~**~**~**~**~**~ ze leetle elper's Avatar

I can manage (after much practise lol) to do wudhu using one and a half of these:

Although ideally would like to cut it down to one Water is wasted by us all the time, people leave it running when they perform wudhu, brush teeth, wash face, wash dishes...every drop that is being wasted is so precious to those who have nothing but diseased dirty water to drink and give to their thirsty children and babies

We are so accustomed to clean water we don't even realise how much we waste. For example people wash their salad/ fruit; put a bowl underneath to collect the water that runs off it and use it in the garden? There are so many ways to save water!
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,

Same for Shafi's.

And a large ammount of water for us (shafi's) is 216 litres ...
    If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

That's large! How come people are posting and not voting then?

I'm a brother!

other than the cost of water, why is it important not to waste water. in the uk all household water is recycled and sent back to the households. so it's difficult to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by nami View Post
    other than the cost of water, why is it important not to waste water. in the uk all household water is recycled and sent back to the households. so it's difficult to waste.
    1. Using excessive amounts of water is wasteful. Wastefulness (israf) is blameworthy in wudu, as the sunna is to use a moderate amount of water. [`Ala' al-Din Abidin, al-Hadiyya al-`Ala'iyya]

Sunan Ibn Majah, Vol 1, Pg No: 34, there is another Hadith:

Translation: It has been narrated on the authority of Hadhrat Abdullah bin 'Umar (May Allah be well pleased with both of them), that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) passed by a person performing wudu. He (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said: Do not waste (water), do not use more water than you need it.

I fill in a pot...maybe about a litre...because I remember doing Wudhu in Muzdalifa with a 500 ml bottle of water and it didn't work so I'd say 1 litre for me.
    الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

I dunno how much I use as I do it under the tap. Obviously if I had to do it from a bottle, I'd say the 1 litre would be enough I think.

Actually I'm gonna try and estimate how much I use next time I do wudu.

شهيد إن شاء الله

in reality you only need very little water. try this experiment.

in your hand, let about 5 drops of water drop into it. then wipe it on your arm. do that 3 times as per the sunnah.

your arm will be wet. that same rule applies for the face, feet ect ect. you actually need very little water because water has alot of mass, density and takes up a 3 dimensional space. so 5 drops of water is actually enough volume to cover the area of your arm or foot or face ect ect.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in Allh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allh with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

wiping and washing are two different things. for wudhu to be valid the limbs that need to be washed, need to be washed, not wiped. washing is the flowing of water over the limb with atleast two drops flowing off.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.

Account Disabled

well i think very little is required to wash if you only do the obligatory parts of wudhu you might need more if you want to sunnah acts

Quote Originally Posted by hamza89 View Post
    well i think very little is required to wash if you only do the obligatory parts of wudhu you might need more if you want to sunnah acts
    our shaykh said that the Prophet (saw) used to preform a full Sunnah Wudu with around one Mudd

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by nami View Post
    I think I don't user 500ml for wudhu, and I don' tthink I use 2l for ghusal. For example, I think I use probably more than a liter just to rinse the soap of my hands when beginning wudhu, when it comes to the face, I probably use a liter just to wash the soap of my face and so on...

I am probably over doing it...
    sister you don't need to use soap when making wdhu, just plain water...
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Account Disabled

our shaykh said that the Prophet (saw) used to preform a full Sunnah Wudu with around one Mudd
    I've seen it done in Mauritania they use so little water yet their limbs are dripping . mashalah

Odan

i remember i read tht the prophet saws was drinking water if it remained after making wdhu so i supposed it was the water left not used; please sum1 find the hadith, i read a lot but am bad at giving the sources, sorry

@op, i do wdhu the sunnah way, i.e. 3 times the parts etc. and am sure i use much more, it goes into the sink so dunno the amount but a mud seems so little..
    Last edited by hayatto; 24-11-10 at 08:01 PM.

شهيد إن شاء الله

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    wiping and washing are two different things. for wudhu to be valid the limbs that need to be washed, need to be washed, not wiped. washing is the flowing of water over the limb with atleast two drops flowing off.
    hmmm, yes i see but i thought wiping was also part of the sunnah of wudu.

i will have to check ma book.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in Allh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allh with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Quote Originally Posted by .hayat. View Post
    sister you don't need to use soap when making wdhu, just plain water...
    HAHA...

Quote Originally Posted by uncle umar View Post

rubbing the limbs whilst washing IS a sunnah of wudhu. but the obligation is washing, with the exception of the head.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar

Extravagance is to use water without any benefit, like washing the parts more than three times. Ibn Shu’aib’s hadith, quoted earlier. ‘Abdullah ibn Mughaffal narrated that he heard the Prophet say, “There will be people from my nation who will transgress in making supplications and in purifying themselves.” (Related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud and an-Nasa’i.)

Says al-Bukhari, “The scholars do not like one to use water beyond what the Prophet, upon whom be peace, used for ablution

subhan'Allah, people will transgress whilst making wudhu, in sha Allah we must all try our best not to waste water and to fight the waswasa of the shayateen (bismillah) who sometimes make us think that we have not performed our wudu correctly, when in actual fact we have and we are just wasting water
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    HAHA...
    hey don't show ur shinny tooth so much, i did not know ok?! nami sounds..girly

@ nami, sorry 4 mistake bro!

Quote Originally Posted by .hayat. View Post
    hey don't show ur shinny tooth so much, i did not know ok?! nami sounds..girly
    That helps...
    Add insult to injury!
    Last edited by .mirror.; 25-11-10 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle umar View Post

You pour some water on the limbs and then rub to make sure the water covers the part that needs to be washed.
    The water is only considered 'used' when it falls from that limb, as the brother stated the water has to flow (some drops) over the limb.
    This is the Hanafi Opinion, I can't speak for other Madhahib.

Lightbulb Re: How much water should we use for Wudu / Ghusl?

I do an experiment on WUDU for usuage of water.

I invited 10 peoples to participated in it and i found results below:
    2.7 Litres

The Mean is 3.2 Liters/Person, Jazak Allah

Odan

to waste water was frowned upon by the Prophet saw

see there are people who have said ''a lot'' this is wrong

Once the Messenger of Allah saw Sa’d bin Abi Waqqas, one of the Companions, making wudu by pouring a lot of water and said to him:
    Why do you waste so much water?
    Sa’d asked in surprise, Is wasting in question in making wudu, O Messenger of Allah?

Thereupon, the Messenger of Allah said to Sa’d:

Yes, even when you make wudu by a river, wasting is in question if you use too much water...” (Ibn Majah)

someone on here uses a cup mashaAllah

my husband is always flooding the washroom
    Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
    Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Quote Originally Posted by nousername View Post
    looool

lol some ppls answer to this problem i have noticed, is not to make less mess and stop splashing water everywhere, but to make the bathroom look like the side of a swimming pool, complete with rubbber mat and a pair of "public" flipflops so everyone can just don said flipflops and attempt to make it through the bathroom withoutfalling into large puddles.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Quote Originally Posted by *asiya* View Post
    lol some ppls answer to this problem i have noticed, is not to make less mess and stop splashing water everywhere, but to make the bathroom look like the side of a swimming pool, complete with rubbber mat and a pair of "public" flipflops so everyone can just don said flipflops and attempt to make it through the bathroom withoutfalling into large puddles.
    looool sounds like my bathroom after im done washing up my husband always complains saying i make the biggest water mess

lol

Quote Originally Posted by AbuIbraheem. View Post
    Salaam,

What do you think is the right amount of water to use?

56 - حدثنا أحمد بن منيع و علي بن حجر قالا حدثنا إسماعيل بن علية عن أبي ريحانة عن سفينة Y أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم كان يتوضأ بالمد ويغتسل بالصاع قال وفي الباب عن عائشة و جابر و أنس بن مالك قال أبو عيسى حديث سفينة حديث حسن صحيح و أبو ريحانة اسمه عبد الله بن مطر ] وهكذا رأى بعض أهل العلم الوضء بالمد والغسل بالصاع وقال الشافعي و أحمد و إسحق ليس معنى هذا الحديث على التوقيت أنه لا يجوز أكثر منه و لا أقل منه وهو قدر ما يكفي K صحيح

Sayyidinah Safinah (RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW) performed ablution with a
    mudd of water and the purifying bath with a sa’ of water.

Jami'i at Tirmidhi

I couldn't add two polls so say how much you think for Ghusl.
    One medium sized bucket full of water for my ghusl and one medium sized mug full of water is enough for ablution .