Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Tafseer Class, Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Saturday 6:30pm GMT (7:30pm BST/GMT+1) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is a 'practising' Muslim?

I've seen many times on the Marriage Forum people saying I want a practising wife or a practising husband. Now how do you define practising?

Is there a minimum criteria to become classed as 'practising'? Is it simply doing the 5 pillars or does it extend much more than that?

Surely what may be seen as a practising Muslim to one person may not be considered practising to another person?

Anyway I just want to ask Ummah Forumers what they consider a 'practising' Muslim is?
    Last edited by Khalid b. Walid; 17-11-10 at 10:42 PM. Reason: missing words

Re: What is a 'practising' Muslim?

Hmmm...good question.
    I do suppose it differs from person to person.
    As for me, I'm not sure what I'd consider as practising, but at least 5 pillars, like you mentioned.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Last edited by IbnulQayyim; 30-04-12 at 02:28 PM.

Akhlaaq of Rasulallah is something many Muslims are away from. Not sure if that's required to be considered as practising. Of course, those who have attained that level have the best of akhlaaq, no doubt.

By the way, I didn't understand your last few lines. Run on sentence.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

Last edited by IbnulQayyim; 30-04-12 at 02:28 PM.

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar

assalamu alaykum

someone who fulfils their obligations and stays away from the haraam, whilst also trying to perfect their character and improve in terms of their deen.

someone who tries to seek knowledge (even if its a bit) to further their understanding of the deen and somebody who implements this knowledge into their daily life... that is my definition of a practising muslim
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Quote Originally Posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
    its not even confusing
    i didn't fully understand, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
    assalamu alaykum

someone who fulfils their obligations and stays away from the haraam, whilst also trying to perfect their character and improve in terms of their deen.

someone who tries to seek knowledge (even if its a bit) to further their understanding of the deen and somebody who implements this knowledge into their daily life... that is my definition of a practising muslim
    Yeah, that's very good.
    Especially, improving.

"None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother that which he loves for himself" (Bukhari)

Personally I don't like the term, if feels a little 'them and us' like and condescending at times too. I don't tend to say it.
    “The real prisoner is someone whose heart is imprisoned from his Lord; the true captive is someone captured by his passions.” (Ibn Taymiyyah)
    www.cageprisoners.com
    www.hhugs.org.uk

Account Disabled

Obeying and observing God's commandments the best you can and abandoning His prohibitions.

Account Disabled

It's difficult to judge if a person is practicing or not because like hadith says, you never know a person, the real person unless, you live with him, travel with him etc?

I suppose someone I feel and trust I can learn with, and teach.

For a man, the five pillars. For a woman, the five pillars, and how she dresses, and whether she wants to study or work, plus every sunnah the man making the determination has ever heard of that applies to women.

*Not my opinion, just the way I often see the term applied.

Alisha Mohammed Islam Attiyah Abdul Hamid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post

I've seen many times on the Marriage Forum people saying I want a practising wife or a practising husband. Now how do you define practising?

Is there a minimum criteria to become classed as 'practising'? Is it simply doing the 5 pillars or does it extend much more than that?

Surely what may be seen as a practising Muslim to one person may not be considered practising to another person?

Anyway I just want to ask Ummah Forumers what they consider a 'practising' Muslim is?

i would see practising as being someone who is muslims but actually puts islam into practice through daily life.

Some people say yeah im muslim, but dont try to follow even the basics of Islam, and if you want a wife/hubby like this it can really take a lot away from your imaan, especially if you class your self as practising
    ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Alisha View Post
    i would see practising as being someone who is muslims but actually puts islam into practice through daily life.

Some people say yeah im muslim, but dont try to follow even the basics of Islam, and if you want a wife/hubby like this it can really take a lot away from your imaan, especially if you class your self as practising
    true

sub-tropical semi-desert island city state of the two seas

It means someone who is doing their best to follow the Qur'an and sunnah in their actions, not just in a statement of belief. A non practicing Muslim says they believe in Allah and His messenger but won't be implimenting Islam in their life, e.g. not doing salat, not following all the rules, dressing like non Muslims etc. Also cultural Muslims, i.e. those who follow their culture of origin rather than Islam, I'd put in the same category even if they didn't eat pork, drink alcohol, and wore their national dress which looks like Islamic clothing, but were following their cultural attiudes, in particular things that come from culture and not Islam.

In terms of getting my kids married in the future inshaAllah, what will be most important to me is that they understand the difference between Islam and culture (or in the case of western reverts, the difference between Qur'an and Sunnah Islam and this westernist/"modernist" thing of changing Islam to suit western/"modern" attitudes/practices) because in terms of the safety of my children and grandchildren (inshaAllah), things like believing wife beating/psychological abuse of the wife/abuse by mothers in law are acceptable and the wife should just put up and shut up, honour killings, that vile practice with sheets/blood and all things like that come from culture and not Islam, and I definitely don't want my kids being subjected to those kinds of barbaric cultural practices and being told it's Islam (astaghfirullah) ------------ a practicing Muslim who has Islamic attitudes and a desire to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah in everything isn't going to do those things and then try to say it's Islam. It's no guarantee of a perfect marriage or a perfect spouse, but it is protection against such barbarism, and it also ensures that their spouse will take their rights seriously in the marriage and not deny they have them and trample all over them. Sorry to be harsh but I've seen it happen enough times. And yes, inshaAllah I'll do my part in ensuring that my kids respect the rights of their spouse and know the difference between culture and Islam inshaAllah.

Stop eating my Chicken!!! LailaTheMuslim's Avatar

Generally doing the 5 salaat, fasting in ramadan, 5 pillars, normal faith (like not a hypocrite)?
    WhenTheWorldPushesYouToYourKnees-
    You'reInThePerfectPositionToPray (Islam.07)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O people, beware of this shirk, for it is more subtle than the footsteps of an ant. The one whom Allaah willed should speak said to him, “How can we beware of it when it is more subtle than the footsteps of an ant, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Say, Allaahumma innaa na’oodhu bika min an nushrika bika shay’an na’lamuhu wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na’lam (O Allaah, we seek refuge with You from knowingly associating anything with You, and we seek Your forgiveness for that which we do unknowingly).” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/403)

“My intercession will be for those among my ummah who have committed major sins.” [Classed as Sahih by al-Albaani in Sahih Abi Dawood, 3965]

To me, basically i wanted someone who was doing basics, covering, no tv/ music etc. (But i guess it was workable even she had been doing it. Not music though) Basically cover and lifestyle were the main things.

Odan

Someone who practises Islam both inwardly and outwardly with a (increase) desire to strive further.

Practising is such a relative terms, that it can interpreted in so many different terms by different people.

3 years ago, I considered myself a practising.....yet, today I was so different to what I was then, and often wonder how I could have labelled myself that. Yet, interactions that I have had with others and also within myslef, have lead me to make quite an honest analysis of things and in terms of deen and marriage I have pretty much managed to find two catergories, whereby I base my judgements.

Living in the dunya striving for the dunya, or living in the dunya striving for the Allah and the akhirah!

The more that this has began to make sense to me, the more I have began to discover that most people ( or potentials ) that I have met fall into either one of the two. You cant have more than one focus.

Yet, Ive found that everyone is on a different stage in their journey towards their aim..

As a female, it is really important to have a sound head when making such decisons, and then trusting in Allah, because our husbands are our amirs and protectors, and will guide us towards Allah or away from us....

Jenicca you think too much.....
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

Revive A Sunnah

Account Disabled

Someone who attempts to follow the commandments of this deen to best of their abillity has , appears muslim in both dress and character. someone who has a deep interrest in studying the deen and someone who puts allah laws before any dispute and lets the deen judge between them

Quote Originally Posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
    I do not know the real answer which is said by the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) or the Sahaabah (radiyallaahu anhum ajma'een) but I think a practicing Muslim is one who fulfills the ibaadaah of 5x prayers, dhikrs etc... and who has the akhlaaq of Muhammad (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) in mu'amlaat in public as well as in privacy (e.g in a house) otherwise hes not near than having double standards for he fulfills the phrase "aqeemus salaat" but not surah hujuraats ayaats; that to me is picking and choosing. its going 'ayat-choosing' instead of 'fatwa shopping'
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernova Nebula View Post
    Obeying and observing God's commandments the best you can and abandoning His prohibitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
    assalamu alaykum

Quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Alisha View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dhakiyya View Post
    It means someone who is doing their best to follow the Qur'an and sunnah in their actions, not just in a statement of belief. A non practicing Muslim says they believe in Allah and His messenger but won't be implimenting Islam in their life, e.g. not doing salat, not following all the rules, dressing like non Muslims etc. Also cultural Muslims, i.e. those who follow their culture of origin rather than Islam, I'd put in the same category even if they didn't eat pork, drink alcohol, and wore their national dress which looks like Islamic clothing, but were following their cultural attiudes, in particular things that come from culture and not Islam.

In terms of getting my kids married in the future inshaAllah, what will be most important to me is that they understand the difference between Islam and culture (or in the case of western reverts, the difference between Qur'an and Sunnah Islam and this westernist/"modernist" thing of changing Islam to suit western/"modern" attitudes/practices) because in terms of the safety of my children and grandchildren (inshaAllah), things like believing wife beating/psychological abuse of the wife/abuse by mothers in law are acceptable and the wife should just put up and shut up, honour killings, that vile practice with sheets/blood and all things like that come from culture and not Islam, and I definitely don't want my kids being subjected to those kinds of barbaric cultural practices and being told it's Islam (astaghfirullah) ------------ a practicing Muslim who has Islamic attitudes and a desire to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah in everything isn't going to do those things and then try to say it's Islam. It's no guarantee of a perfect marriage or a perfect spouse, but it is protection against such barbarism, and it also ensures that their spouse will take their rights seriously in the marriage and not deny they have them and trample all over them. Sorry to be harsh but I've seen it happen enough times. And yes, inshaAllah I'll do my part in ensuring that my kids respect the rights of their spouse and know the difference between culture and Islam inshaAllah.
    Quote Originally Posted by RashidD View Post
    To me, basically i wanted someone who was doing basics, covering, no tv/ music etc. (But i guess it was workable even she had been doing it. Not music though) Basically cover and lifestyle were the main things.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MuslimByChoice View Post

Someone who practises Islam both inwardly and outwardly with a (increase) desire to strive further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenicca View Post
    Practising is such a relative terms, that it can interpreted in so many different terms by different people.

3 years ago, I considered myself a practising.....yet, today I was so different to what I was then, and often wonder how I could have labelled myself that. Yet, interactions that I have had with others and also within myslef, have lead me to make quite an honest analysis of things and in terms of deen and marriage I have pretty much managed to find two catergories, whereby I base my judgements.

Living in the dunya striving for the dunya, or living in the dunya striving for the Allah and the akhirah!

The more that this has began to make sense to me, the more I have began to discover that most people ( or potentials ) that I have met fall into either one of the two. You cant have more than one focus.

Yet, Ive found that everyone is on a different stage in their journey towards their aim..

As a female, it is really important to have a sound head when making such decisons, and then trusting in Allah, because our husbands are our amirs and protectors, and will guide us towards Allah or away from us....

Jenicca you think too much.....
    Quote Originally Posted by hamza89 View Post
    Someone who attempts to follow the commandments of this deen to best of their abillity has , appears muslim in both dress and character. someone who has a deep interrest in studying the deen and someone who puts allah laws before any dispute and lets the deen judge between them
    All these answers make sense. So its basically a Muslim who adheres to the obligations and stays away from haram to the best of his abilities. He tries to implement Islam in every aspect of his life which will also reflect in his approach to life where the akhira is the main goal as opposed tot he dunya. Obviously being human he will fall short many times but he makes Islam his main priority and whenever a situation arises he refers backs to the laws of Allah. Basically he tries to govern his life according to Islam.

JazakAllah Khayr for taking time to asnwer.

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Hmmm...good question.
    I do suppose it differs from person to person.
    As for me, I'm not sure what I'd consider as practising, but at least 5 pillars, like you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMuslimah View Post
    For a man, the five pillars. For a woman, the five pillars, and how she dresses, and whether she wants to study or work, plus every sunnah the man making the determination has ever heard of that applies to women.

*Not my opinion, just the way I often see the term applied.
    Quote Originally Posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
    Generally doing the 5 salaat, fasting in ramadan, 5 pillars, normal faith (like not a hypocrite)?
    Interesting points here about the 5 pillars. Just an observation. Many Muslims adhere to the 5 pillars but they may sell alcohol, steal, indulge in riba, be clean shaven etc. Similarly a Muslimah may do the 5 pillars but flirt with men, have no sense of hayat in sense of dress and manners, drink etc.

Would you still class them as practising because if we take the 5 pillars as the basis of a practising Muslim then probably 70% of the Ummah would fall in this catogery and finding a 'practising' spouse wouldn't be so difficult.

I've also seen brothers on this forum say they will not marry a woman who does not wear hijab and sisters on this forum say they will not marry a clean-shaven brother. So the concept of a 'practising' Muslim must extend much further than simply the basics.

Anyway may Allah reward you for taking time to answer.

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar

Interesting points here about the 5 pillars. Just an observation. Many Muslims adhere to the 5 pillars but they may sell alcohol, steal, indulge in riba, be clean shaven etc. Similarly a Muslimah may do the 5 pillars but flirt with men, have no sense of hayat in sense of dress and manners, drink etc.

Would you still class them as practising because if we take the 5 pillars as the basis of a practising Muslim then probably 70% of the Ummah would fall in this catogery and finding a 'practising' spouse wouldn't be so difficult.

I've also seen brothers on this forum say they will not marry a woman who does not wear hijab and sisters on this forum say they will not marry a clean-shaven brother. So the concept of a 'practising' Muslim must extend much further than simply the basics.

personally and this is my own opinion, if somebody is praying 5x salaat and fulfilling their obligations YET drinking, dealing with riba, flirting, etc etc then they have not fully understood the concept of islaam and are praying, fasting etc because its what their parents taught them, or its 'culture' not because they truly understand the purpose of worshipping Allah 'azza wa jal...because if they did, they would stay away from haraam

of course, every son of Adam alayhissalam is a sinner but what makes one sinner different to the other, is the sinner who acknowledges that they are doing wrong, that they are doing haraam, The sinner who sins out of a weakness in their heart and who tries to reform by repentance, extra ibaada etc

the problem occurs nowadays is when some brothers and sisters pray 5x a day for example, and then go out with boys/girls, deal in interest, earn haraam money and they think it's okay to do so, because 'at least i pray'...
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

practising Muslim simply means someone who practices Islam.
    “This day I have perfected your religion for you,completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” [5:3]"I have created the jinns and the humans solely to worship Me."[51:56]"a woman's heart should be lost in God, that a man needs to see him in order to find her"

Last edited by IbnulQayyim; 30-04-12 at 02:29 PM.

70% of Ummat today will not fall into 5 pillars.
    I'd still doubt if less that half of that would still be firm on 5 pillars.

Anyways, I meant 5 pillars at least, of course anyone who isn't even concerned about these are not worth it.
    Last edited by .mirror.; 18-11-10 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bint-Al-Islam View Post
    practising Muslim simply means someone who practices Islam.
    Well, yeah...

But, how much of it from the Quran and Sunnah?

Anyways, I meant 5 pillars at least, of course anyone who isn't even concerned about these are not worth it.
    Lol. I was trying to be optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by hamza89 View Post
    same.

however it depends. theres no point in having a practising husband who doesn't fulfil family rights etc. i think its very important to make sure when it comes to marriage that a seemingly practising potential actually knows eveything -or most- of what one must do to be defined as a practising muslim. to be honest....some practising muslims have key points in them missing.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Lol. I was trying to be optimistic.
    It'll be 100% one day!
    How's that for optimism?

okay ... i'm not muslim... and yall are welcome to tell me to go jump... but here's how i see it.
    Someone who follows the five pillars of Islam to the best of the ability... someone who is willing to admit... they don't know everything and want and desire to learn more.... and someone wants a spouse who wants the same thing ( if they want a spouse ) also... someone who believes that while they may be on the right path.. that Islam may be the only path..they are also welcoming of other faiths as i believe i read that in the Koran.. we are all to live together... they with their faith, us with ours.

edited to add... i do hope that what i said didnt offend anyone as that is never my intention here....
    In an episcopal church i was in one easter years ago.. .we were all reminded.. the church was open at times other than easter and christmas... i thought that a very powerfui message.e
    Last edited by briteyyez; 18-11-10 at 11:50 PM. Reason: to step lightly

Alisha Mohammed Islam Attiyah Abdul Hamid's Avatar

All these answers make sense. So its basically a Muslim who adheres to the obligations and stays away from haram to the best of his abilities. He tries to implement Islam in every aspect of his life which will also reflect in his approach to life where the akhira is the main goal as opposed tot he dunya. Obviously being human he will fall short many times but he makes Islam his main priority and whenever a situation arises he refers backs to the laws of Allah. Basically he tries to govern his life according to Islam.

JazakAllah Khayr for taking time to asnwer.
    Yeah basically
    We arent free from sin but a pious person will try to stay away from sinning as much as possible
    ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

ummmm....
    some1 whose every action/ choice in life is done with intent & consciously in light n accordance with the sunnah n the quran

some1 who possesses honesty with oneself about their shortcomings, openly questioning themselves n their intentions behind every action, character trait n lifestyle –1 who is truly in jihad with their nafs n this life n always tryin to improve their worship

some1 one who sincerely wants to do good...despite falls n shatans whispers continues to strive on the path of islam whilst always trying to better themselves in knowledge, character, manner n conduct – n rid their hearts of disease

some1 whose...lack of a better word is just plain REAL n trying to honestly work in this life to get a spot in junnah—they don’t even have to say a word, god-fearing/practicing is found in thier actions n just written on their face...from the grace of their walk, to the confidence on their stance, to the lowered gaze of their eyes, from the simplicity of their dress, to the fragrance of calm that envelops them n those around them —imperfect n yet faultless due to their candidness about their shortcoming n self-struggles...strangers but feel like family because of their genuine care 4 people...bubble-wrapped in khair with a flavour of humbleness, they seem to b in their own world, not caring 4 any1 opinion or attention...n that ever so slight sincere smile across their lips radiates inner peace

a "practicing muslim" is one who everyday gets up and practices his islam, in hopes that one day he gets it right before the angel of death takes his soul
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

Someone who prays (at the masjid the five prayers) , fasting , zakah, hajj..... is already memorizing quran (if not memorized already) and willing to practice Islam and become a better muslim on a daily basis.
    Jannah is my aim

Anyways, I meant 5 pillars at least, of course anyone who isn't even concerned about these are not worth it
    True that.
    Jannah is my aim

Account Disabled

While I was growing up a practicing muslim was defined as one who........

• does not drink alcohol
    • does not eat pork or non halal meats
    • Fasts in Ramadhan if the day is not too long
    • Attends Eid prayers

How times have since changed ...........
    Last edited by S-MAN; 01-05-12 at 03:08 PM.

Account Disabled

I'm glad people on this forum respect the views held by people in the past.

Odan

I really dont expect much. A women who prays 5 times a day, prays, fasts, has top character and manners.

doesnt backbite, likes children, not selfish, not materialistic.

Lastly, and most importantly, a women who has ilm within deen, and wants to carry on learning about islam. Has the zeal and passion for the deen. Someone is pushing herself (hopefully me also one day ) in the right direction.

A women, who listens to her husband, who is generally calm and has zeal to do good in all aspects of life.

Account Disabled

Some "Muslims" on this forum have accused me of kufr. So this is an interesting thread. Am I a practising Muslim?

I pray five times a day, I keep all my fasts, I am a student so I haven't yet given zakat, although I have raised money for charity. I have not been to hajj yet. I try to be of good manners. I eat halal food only.