Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Hifz Experiences

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok so people ask me how did you go about memorizing the entire Qur’aan brother Aboo Thaabit? From cover to cover? Was it not difficult? How can I do something like that?

Well to be honest it is very easy and I’ll let you guys in on a secret.

Memorising the Qur’aan is extremely easy, in fact even a parrot could do it! And it is this concept you have to come to terms with.

It really has to do with the mind-set of a person, meaning if you think something is hard you will naturally find it hard but if you think something is easy, it will become easy. So when you start, have the right mind-set and Ikhlaas.

Allaah tells you in the Qur’aan itself:

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ

Hence, indeed, We made this Qur’aan easy to remember, then is there anyone to remember it?

(Al-Qamar 54:17)

Do you then doubt Allaah?

Secondly is the issue of discipline, I cannot stress this enough, if you want to be a haafidh you have to make time to memorize.

Basically you will have to be a loner, lock yourself in your room listen to a recording over and over again.

When I used to memorize I had a tape player and I used to rewind the tape over and over again trying my best to get the pronunciation and flow of the verse correct, sometimes late into the night and I could hear the rest of the family snoring.

Also try to immerse yourself in the Qur’aan, make your breathing, eating and even your spare time into Qur’aan.

Recite it whilst walking or perhaps sitting in class waiting for the teacher to arrive.

In your sunnah prayers stop reciting soorah Kawthar and Ikhlaas, try a new soorah and master it!

One of the things that inspired me to start memorizing was when I saw the Imaams of Makkah, namely Sudais and Shuraim, leading the Taraweeh prayers.

When I saw them stand there leading so many people with that confidence reciting the verses of Allaah off by heart I thought to myself WOW! If they can do it so can I!

And whatever spare time I got not memorizing in my room I used to sit in front of the tv and listen to their recitations.

I used to quiz my friends about the Qur’aan, test them and then letting them test me.

When you love something it truly becomes a pleasure.

Remember to stop thinking about when you will be finished. I remember the day I finished my Qur’aan I was sad, people said to me this should be the happiest day in your life! I said I am sad because now I don’t have any new Qur’aan to memorize.

So do not be hasty dear brothers and sisters rather take your time, do not see memorizing the Qur’aan as a task or burden, but rather enjoy the journey and process.

I realise there are a lot of things left unmentioned but I figured there are many articles like this one all over the internet and my intention was only to inspire fellow Muslims to do the same thing as me and not to boast.

My younger brother threaded the same path as me and will finish the Qur’aan shortly too inshaaAllaah.

اللَّهُمّ اجْعَلْنَا لِلْمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا

O Allaah, make us leaders for the pious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Link
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Hifz Experiences

Ya allaaaaaaaah ! How come it`s the first time i see this thread? subhanAllah

First of all ...mubarak akhi the_middle_road that you memorized the whole quran and thanks for sharing your experience , it`s inspirational.I strongly believe that if someone wants to do something then they CAN do it.

I LOVE memorising Quran , mashallah.

A little advice is .... to make memorization easy is ....first of all , read the page once on a normal pace.Then read it again paying attention to which ayah comes before the other .Then read it again paying attention to the meaning of the ayat.Bringing a tafseer of the quran and reading through it quickly just to understand what are these ayat about is very very helpful too.Then after doing that you can start memorising the page (or the specific number of ayat) you want.....(you will be surprised how fast you memorized it).I still Alhamdulillah remember very well the ayat i memorized using this method ....like 8-9 years ago.

I may add that i am NOT a hafith , and this is just my humble participation in this thread sharing my experience .

Love and respect and may Allah bless you all, ameen.
    Jannah is my aim

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

Just reminded me of Sis Smira and how she used to memorize 12 pages a day!

Quote Originally Posted by alhamdoulilah View Post
    Well I didnt do my memorization by the number of ayahs, I did it by pages..

The thing is I memorize better when I do it by page because the visual image of the page is there....its almost as if your just reading the page, where as when I do it by ayahs which start half way through the page and finishes on the next page, I tend to struggle putting up an image lol

the standard was 2 pages before fajr, and 2 pages after eesha everyday

and after that, I gradually started adding pages when I progressed..

for example the last memorization week before the "entire Quran" practicing and revising, I was memorizing 6 pages before fajr and 6 pages after eesha. you might be like whoah, but im telling you when you get so used to it, it almost becomes programmed into your head.
    May Allah make the Quran her Companion in the Hereafter.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post

Ameeen yarabal alameen
    Jannah is my aim

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3881 Post(s)

May Allah forgive me if Im wrong but I heard a hafiz can intercede for 10 people on the day of judgment...that means free entry into jannah .. k no not literally
    As far as I know, a Hafiz or even Prophet can intercede only if Allah allows them to. So, the final and ultimate decision is up to Allah, obviously.

Wallahu Alam.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ameen. Thats great mashallah. I get what the sister meant by reading page at a time instead of ayahs. I think the page method would work better for me too. May Allah reward her tremendously for this, Ameen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know, a Hafiz or even Prophet can intercede only if Allah allows them to. So, the final and ultimate decision is up to Allah, obviously.

Wallahu Alam.
    Yes, very true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

subhanAllah at sis smira, may Allah grant her a high place in jannah ameen thumma ameen.

my hifz in the recent past was hard to keep up, didn't get the 'chance' at all. but alhamdulillah since ramadhan have started again. i have the last 3 juz to go. duas needed inshallah.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^Mashallah. May Allah (swt) make it easy for you and all those who are trying to become hafizul quran. Ameen.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

And more importantly give us the character of a haafidhul Qur'an... ameen ya Rabb.
    اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Jumana ~ View Post
    Ya allaaaaaaaah ! How come it`s the first time i see this thread? subhanAllah

First of all ...mubarak akhi the_middle_road that you memorized the whole quran and thanks for sharing your experience , it`s inspirational.I strongly believe that if someone wants to do something then they CAN do it.
    See post #15.

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Feesabillilah89 View Post
    forgive me if Im wrong but I heard a hafiz can intercede for 10 people on the day of judgment...that means free entry into jannah .. k no not literally
    “Whosoever recites the Qur’an and memorises it, believing firmly that what it legislates as lawful is lawful and what it legislates as prohibited is prohibited, Allah will enter him into Paradise and accept his intercession on behalf of ten of his relatives who had been destined to enter the Fire.”

(Link)

It is related in Sunan at-Tirmidhi and it is a weak hadith.

sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

jazakAllah khair middle road and all who contributed to this thread. This is the most inspirational thread I've read on this forum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I know there are a few other people on this forum who are hafiz and I'd encourage you all to share your experiences as well. But I also know you'd like to keep anonymous, so you can do that by sharing it on this blog, and then I'll copy it over here if they do put it up.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

I hope nobody minds me pasting this here, it may help some people, I'm not sure.. I'm visual so I visualise the mushaf page, but we will see. http://www.houseofquran.com/quransys/qsys

A little bit confusing.. maybe I just don't know how to use it.
    اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^ Whats that?

Need to remember this when I'm learning:

Sufyaan Ath-Thawree, rahimahullaah, said: "The excellence of knowledge is due only to the fact that it causes a person to fear and obey Allaah, otherwise it is just like anything else."

TMR for the du3a, really beneficial.
    Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_middle_road View Post
    I know there are a few other people on this forum who are hafiz and I'd encourage you all to share your experiences as well. But I also know you'd like to keep anonymous, so you can do that by sharing it on this blog, and then I'll copy it over here if they do put it up.

Any progress with that?
    Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_87 View Post

Any progress with that?

I'm subscribed to that blog so get notified of any new posts, but there haven't been any on this topic. So no.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

19th to 25th juz very tricky after its been memorised or maybe its just me. TMR, akhee any advice!?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

There's no easy way, it's just down to repetition, repetition, repetition. And take note of the mutashabihat.

Read this as well.

hating on progressives AhlulQuran88's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)

any recitors that recite in abu amr just checking, i feel so alone in the world lol, hafs is everywhere mashalah

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

^ Why don't you share your experience of doing hifz?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_middle_road View Post
    ^ Why don't you share your experience of doing hifz?
    not the answer i was looking for TMR lol but ill write something

BDW just to let everyone i am only student like everyone else no shaykh or something .

I started learning how to read and write arabic at the age of 6 with my father the book i studied is called qaaida baghdaadiya, many of you might not know it as its a iraqi book that was introduced into somalia some centuries ago but is still alive in east africa and iraq. most people study the book qaaida nooraniya especially people from the subcontinant.

after a month i could read and at the time tapes were availble and my dad had tapes of shaykh Husary may allah have mercy upon him, he was one of the few recitors who had tapes in adoori. So i started my hifdh listening to adoori and my father checking my tajweed.

My dad started me on a prgram of 200 pages a year so i would i memorise just under a page a day and on sunday mornings after fajr we would wake up and combine what w learned the whole week and read it in one session after which we would revise.

During this continued with me memorising 200 pages a year, the method my father employed was a method whereby the he wanted us to be able to learn the vowel marks at the end of every ayah or waqf. He decided that the best way was with the lahw or the plank of wood and writting the quran out from memory. so after every memorisation session we wrote out what we memorised and recited from memory in wasl. wasl is basically connnecting the ayahs for those who want to hear it simply listen to shaykh ali jaber surah fatiha may allah shower his mercy on him.

little did i know that this was preparation for me to learn the science of qiraat or at least parts of it, my dad being a muqri, so i completed the quran and my dad had me recite the entire quran from memory in 5 sittings and after which i was given my own mushaf the king fahad aka madinah mushaf, i was given a ijaza in abu amr in reading and teaching and i was given a promise that i could umrah with my dad inshalah.

i continued to study under my dad when i was 14 i formally got ijaza in sousi which is the second riwaya of abu amr, a couple of years later i recited in naafi in jamul jam and then i got liscened to recite and teach both warch and qalun. along the same time i memorised djazariya and tuhfatol adfaal

i am currently a student studying hafs and shoba , after that i am thinking of memorsing the 10 qirat , so i am still a student but i am teaching a group of kids at the moment young kids.

may allah make us of alhlulquran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ma sha Allah and Ameen. Shame the brother was banned

So I have started doing hifdh in the mornings now as its when I'm least busy, but I wanted to know if the feeling of sleep deprivation become less as you persist with this routine.

Or its normal to feel very tired throughout the day?

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ma sha Allah and Ameen. Shame the brother was banned

So I have started doing hifdh in the mornings now as its when I'm least busy, but I wanted to know if the feeling of sleep deprivation become less as you persist with this routine.

Or its normal to feel very tired throughout the day?
    -You should become used to it after a while Inshallah
    -Depends on how many hours of sleep you get at night. Try going sleep asap after esha
    -Catch up on some sleep after dhuhr bi idhnillah
    -Not to eating too much during the day and have a full stomach etc (not saying you do! ... ) also helps a lot in not feeling tired/sleepy.

This is probably a bit obvious btw but whatever you memories in the morning, should be gone over in the evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^
    How long is "after a while"?

Sleep hours: 6-7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^

As-salaamu 'alaykum

You always make me laugh lol!

If you do it every day and ensure you have your normal 6-7 hours of a sleep a day then it'll take 1-2 weeks but if you find you're still getting tired then take a break and 'refresh' your mind in between Inshaa'Allaah.

Hope it goes well!
    Laysal khaa'ifu man yabkee wa yamsahu 'ayneyhi...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

MashaAllah! MashaAllah!

Wow, this has given me confidence for some reason. InshaAllah I achieve this too! I love the line of how we think something is hard, it will naturally be hard, but if we think something is easy, it will be easier to do. Alhumdulillah.

The Prophet (saw) said, Verily, the knots of Islam will be undone one by one. Whenever one knot is lost, then the people grabbed onto the one which came after it. The first of these knots will be ruling and the last will be the salah.[1]

The author of Sitoon as-Sultaniyah says about this Hadith: “It was the Prophet who tied together the knots of Islam, including the uppermost knot of ruling after he established the Islamic state…As mentioned by Imam Mawardi the leadership has been proscribed as the succession of the Prophet in protecting the deen and governing the societal affairs. In this respect – Imam Baidawi mentioned that the Imama/Khalifah is the succession from the Prophet in the establishment of the laws of the Shari’ah. So without the Imam the laws lie unapplied and the territory is not protected effectively. The hadith indicates that it is the uppermost knot that keeps the subsequent knots safe from being untied. This is since it is the ruler that is responsible to apply Islam in its entirety, to implement the limits proscribed by Allah and to protect the society. Imam Ahmed mentioned without an Imam (for the Muslims as their leader) there would be fitna, and the destruction of the symbols of Islam ending with the Prayer is a great fitna.[2]

[1] Tabarani, Musnad Ahmad and Al Hakim in his Al Mustadrak
    [2] Ibid. pg. 46

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^

That varies from person to person but on average IMHO it shouldnt take more than a month (max) for your body to adapt. For me alhamdulillah a couple of weeks and am fine.

And personally for me 6-7 hours sleep per day is on the lower end of what I need. Again, this slightly varies for everyone.

Anyways, if you have recently just got into this routine then my advice would be to stick with it for 2 weeks then see how you feel. You should slowly see Improvements Inshallah.

Shoo y3ni?!
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Listening worked wonders for me.

Further notice
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3016 Post(s)

How do people cope with being sick and that therefore affecting their hifdh? For example, say qadrAllah you were really ill for few weeks and that ultimately affected your concentration, routine, emotional stress etc all these factors therefore having a huge effect on your hifdh.

Kamaa Tadeenu Tudaan Abu Mus'ab's Avatar
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Families_Relief View Post
    How do people cope with being sick and that therefore affecting their hifdh? For example, say qadrAllah you were really ill for few weeks and that ultimately affected your concentration, routine, emotional stress etc all these factors therefore having a huge effect on your hifdh.
    Then all you do is that you stop learning more, and you go over everything you've done, once you've repaired what you've lost, then you carry on moving forward again.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by F_R View Post
    thats the best time to do revision and read on yourself from memory as the Quran is shifaa a cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How do people do their review (muraja'a)? And how many hours do you spend daily on reviewing?
    Laysal khaa'ifu man yabkee wa yamsahu 'ayneyhi...

No one is perfect.. Twinkle_Toes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .:Hanna:. View Post
    How do people do their review (muraja'a)? And how many hours do you spend daily on reviewing?
    I do my muraja'ah by listening and asking one of my lazy sisters to listen to my recitation and it does help more when listening rather than just reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well obv, it will affect ur concentration but how long are u gona be ill for? :S
    not long and if its affecting u too much then just revise what u already know.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .:Hanna:. View Post
    the shuyuukh have different opinion for example shaykh ibraheem al akhdar opinion is 3 juzz a day , i know that my Father told me the shuyukh of Somalia advocate 5 juzz a day.
    It is said that shaykh zayyaat may mery opinion him used to read 10-15 juzz a day.

so it differs , but shaykh ibraheem says that minimum three khatmas a month meaning a khatma every 10 days and my shuyuukh are of the opinion a khatma every week.

shaykh zayaat and some of the major muqriyeen of our time say a khatma every 3 days

In general the least i have heard is 3 juzz a day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
    the shuyuukh have different opinion for example shaykh ibraheem al akhdar opinion is 3 juzz a day , i know that my Father told me the shuyukh of Somalia advocate 5 juzz a day.
    It is said that shaykh zayyaat may mery opinion him used to read 10-15 juzz a day.

so it differs , but shaykh ibraheem says that minimum three khatmas a month meaning a khatma every 10 days and my shuyuukh are of the opinion a khatma every week.

shaykh zayaat and some of the major muqriyeen of our time say a khatma every 3 days

In general the least i have heard is 3 juzz a day
    MashaAllah MashaAllah, Tabarak Allah. May Allah make u and us from al-Salihooon

Further notice
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3016 Post(s)

We should enjoy our path of hifdh and not rush it, right?
    Also, say if someone wants to learn different qira'at, how would they revise both once they learn them e.g. hafs and warsh, how would they revise them? Do people tend to stick to one?

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)

We should enjoy our path of hifdh and not rush it, right?
    Also, say if someone wants to learn different qira'at, how would they revise both once they learn them e.g. hafs and warsh, how would they revise them? Do people tend to stick to one?
    Rushing doesn't help anyone
    You learn them when you master a one riwaaya i.e. hafs then you learn the entire qirah of imam aasim and learning the differences between hafs and shoba. after this you will start to study the Qiraat by way of imam shatibi.

revision is by way of having a khatma for every riwaaya i tend to read by reading every verse in a report and then continueing to the next verse it takes a while but allah will make it easy.

most will never learn more than 1 riwaaya but its becoming a increasingly popular science due to tv exposure and recitors having more of a daeee position nowadays

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

If someone told me I have to do 5 juzz a day, this would be too much, because I also study other subjects. Now if someone was free then no problem.

Personally I would just talk to my teacher, he/she will tell you how much you can do and how much you are capable of, they would give tests too.

But listening to recitation helps so much. I was reading one of the experiences that was posted by tmr and the person was saying that it kinda fixes the ayaat in your head (I don't know exactly what he/she mentioned) but I know what they mean. It has helped me a lot, alhamdulillah.
    Last edited by Hamnah; 23-01-12 at 03:22 PM.
    اذاً لن يضيعنا الله