Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
    speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Hifz Experiences

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok so people ask me how did you go about memorizing the entire Qur’aan brother Aboo Thaabit? From cover to cover? Was it not difficult? How can I do something like that?

Well to be honest it is very easy and I’ll let you guys in on a secret.

Memorising the Qur’aan is extremely easy, in fact even a parrot could do it! And it is this concept you have to come to terms with.

It really has to do with the mind-set of a person, meaning if you think something is hard you will naturally find it hard but if you think something is easy, it will become easy. So when you start, have the right mind-set and Ikhlaas.

Allaah tells you in the Qur’aan itself:

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ

Hence, indeed, We made this Qur’aan easy to remember, then is there anyone to remember it?

(Al-Qamar 54:17)

Do you then doubt Allaah?

Secondly is the issue of discipline, I cannot stress this enough, if you want to be a haafidh you have to make time to memorize.

Basically you will have to be a loner, lock yourself in your room listen to a recording over and over again.

When I used to memorize I had a tape player and I used to rewind the tape over and over again trying my best to get the pronunciation and flow of the verse correct, sometimes late into the night and I could hear the rest of the family snoring.

Also try to immerse yourself in the Qur’aan, make your breathing, eating and even your spare time into Qur’aan.

Recite it whilst walking or perhaps sitting in class waiting for the teacher to arrive.

In your sunnah prayers stop reciting soorah Kawthar and Ikhlaas, try a new soorah and master it!

One of the things that inspired me to start memorizing was when I saw the Imaams of Makkah, namely Sudais and Shuraim, leading the Taraweeh prayers.

When I saw them stand there leading so many people with that confidence reciting the verses of Allaah off by heart I thought to myself WOW! If they can do it so can I!

And whatever spare time I got not memorizing in my room I used to sit in front of the tv and listen to their recitations.

I used to quiz my friends about the Qur’aan, test them and then letting them test me.

When you love something it truly becomes a pleasure.

Remember to stop thinking about when you will be finished. I remember the day I finished my Qur’aan I was sad, people said to me this should be the happiest day in your life! I said I am sad because now I don’t have any new Qur’aan to memorize.

So do not be hasty dear brothers and sisters rather take your time, do not see memorizing the Qur’aan as a task or burden, but rather enjoy the journey and process.

I realise there are a lot of things left unmentioned but I figured there are many articles like this one all over the internet and my intention was only to inspire fellow Muslims to do the same thing as me and not to boast.

My younger brother threaded the same path as me and will finish the Qur’aan shortly too inshaaAllaah.

اللَّهُمّ اجْعَلْنَا لِلْمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا

O Allaah, make us leaders for the pious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Link
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Hifz Experiences

JazakAllahu khayrun, excellent thread.

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Foulana blog

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

may allah reward you shaykh and may allah reward you

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

P*ki is outta containment Arsalan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

. Excellent motivational thread. The few longer surahs I have learnt have been through repetition hearing of the ayah and reciting in my salaah. I also confidence to do it and Allah helped me.

I'm not great at reading Quran , so I learn my surah by ear.
    Last edited by Arsalan; 19-09-10 at 08:30 PM.
    "Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they heed not and they turn away" (21:1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

MAshaAllah and Thank you for that useful information.

A brother once said his method of memorising was reading the 1st word, then 1st and 2nd word, 1st 2nd 3rd word etc... because of the repitition he learnt the whole quran, mashaAllah.

I'd love to be a quran hafidh, but need to perfect my tajweed. InshaAllah.
    "Verily Allah does not look to your appearance or wealth, but he looks to your hearts and your deeds." [Sahih Muslim, Vol. 4, #6221]

Shoo y3ni?!
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

The best way I did it is by listening to it really. And ofcource understanding what you're saying

Great thread tho.

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

u noe brother aboo thaabit too :O

nice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)

is this brother abu thaabit a student at madinah uni? hes been giving classes over paltalk in the summer (i think)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    244 Post(s)

Jazakallah! What an excellent thread.

That is one thing I never done, listen to the recordings but I will do that now by reading this thread. Nice one.
    الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

scribble
    Guests

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think middle road will agree with me the day you get tested and you get ijaza and your sanad is a very tearful day.

to see the name of the prophet pbuh on that paper , the fact that your now connected to rasuloolah pbuh is very emotional

Mentioned
    573 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1556 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hamza89 View Post
    Ameen Akhi
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taqwa435 View Post
    is this brother abu thaabit a student at madinah uni? hes been giving classes over paltalk in the summer (i think)
    yes he is

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Just so it's clear, I didn't write that post. And I'm not Abu Thabit.

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Tullaib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Memorising the Qur'an can be easy but that depends on the persons commitments. For example when i did it, I use to go school and college.. so this was my daily timetable

6.30 -8.00 - hifz class
    8.45 - 3.25 - school [sometimes 4.30]
    5.00 - 7.30 - hifz class

Then I would eat, do homework and go sleep..

So for me it was quite tough.. The main thing is avoiding sin though.. A person that avoids sin will find it very easy to remember the qur'an. But obviously what the OP said is correct.

Majority of students in my area go through this timetable, so it is difficult, especially when you are in year 10/11 and college as you got tons of cw and hw...

But Allah selects which one of his servants he wants to remember his word

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for making this thread. I want to add that you definitely need a teacher to help you with this.

I DONT REPLY 2 PM'S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

this is pretty wow, for those who can understand urdu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWewXjUMVU
    Jo kaam karta hai tu chup ke jahaan se
    koi dekhta hai tujhe aasmaan se

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A taste of what it feels like to memorise the Qur'an:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Svd...eature=related
    Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvM7L5Wm7q0

‎"If she's not on the deen, she's not fit to be your queen. If he hasn't got imaan, he's not fit to be your man."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Imagine a roller-coaster ride with its many stops and starts, the adrenaline rush that you get and the test that you’re put through, both mentally and physically. Despite all this, you don’t want the ride to end. This has been my memorisation journey so far and it is one that will go on for a further time period that only Allaah Knows.

I spent some of my youth in Saudi Arabia where I used to attend a Qur’aan school and memorised a good chunk by the age of 7, and then we moved to the UK. I guess from this point onwards everything went downhill. My parents exerted all their effort in teaching me the English language and pushing towards excelling at secular studies. As a result, I lost virtually everything I had memorised and it was not until I started to learn about the Deen myself in my teenage years that I began to pursue lessons in Qur’aan again and encouraged my siblings too. It was from this point onwards that my journey restarted. But the hurdles in front of me were greater now as I had to literally start from the beginning, as in learn the alphabet all over again and I was in classes where I was with children much younger than myself but that didn’t put me off. Unfortunately, due to personal matters out of my control, I wasn’t able to attend these classes on a consistent basis and as a result, my progress was much slower than I would have liked. At times, I would become extremely disheartened by this but I carried on struggling and battling everyday in trying to put the Book of Allaah first. There were a lot of lessons that I learned from all those setbacks, and I am learning and benefitting from those lessons now. An example of such a setback was time management, I was really bad at that but now alhamdulillaah I’m certainly much better than before, and as with everything, I am striving to be better.

Even when I was able to memorise the Qur’aan, I was losing it shortly after. Why? Well, I wasn’t reviewing properly, I was using the wrong techniques and tools. And one thing you have to understand is that if you sin then you’ll most likely lose the Qur’aan, as it happened to imaam ash-Shaafi’ee (rahimahullaah) where his teacher advised him to abstain from sins. Furthermore, I wasn’t making the most of all the resources available to me such as tafseer of the Qur’aan and understanding the meaning of the aayaat or learning some of the Arabic words in order for me not to confuse two aayaat or the endings of these aayaat. The more I was memorising, the more I was coming across new styles of language in the Qur’aan, and so for example, I hit obstacles when it came to memorising certain soorahs such as Soorat-ul-Jinn and Soorah Shoora. This is normal and it shouldn’t make you depressed and stop you from progressing, and you just have to keep going inshaaAllaah and try out different approaches to help you see what works best for you.

So what steps did I take and what improvements have I seen?

Well firstly, helping my family to practice the Deen more has been a huge boost as they have been encouraging and supportive in my quest. Secondly, I got married. Having a companion to help you with memorisation, test you and help you with reviewing is really important, and if that companion has already been blessed with having memorised the Qur’aan (as is the case with me alhamdulillaah), then it is just amazing mashaallaah. Having a strong drive and love for the Qur’aan has kept me going despite the many pitfalls that I fell in. Even with these positive steps, I felt that I had to be alone and away from the many distractions surrounding me at home and so I decided to move, and what better place is there for the Qur’aan than Egypt mashaAllaah? I can honestly say that my time in Egypt is helping me a lot in terms of my memorisation as the only companion that I have other than my wife and teachers, is the Qur’aan. Memorising after Fajr is simply the best time for me right now, normally after I have completed my reviewing for the day. Furthermore, reading the tafseer and translation of the meaning of the Qur’aan, as well as studying the Arabic language are invaluable aids in terms of memorisation as well mashaAllaah, whilst increasing this great love for the Book of Allaah every day. It has been 3 months now and alhamdulillaah I have memorised just over 2 ajzaa (nearly finished Soorah Fussilat), something that may have taken me a year to do in London.

So how do I memorise in a typical day?

After Fajr, I review whatever I need to for the day, including anything new that I memorised the day before. After that, I will normally read the soorah that I’m currently memorising and the soorah before it (I am working my way up to al-Baqarah). Next I go to the new page and start memorising aayah by aayah, and don’t move forward until I am fluent in them. Depending on the soorah and the language, I may memorise half a page, a page or 2 pages in that time. In the case of a page or 2, I split it into 2 and again don’t move forward until I am able to fluently recite them. In the end, I recite the full page or 2. After this, I listen to Minshaawi and recite with him. When I find my wife free, then I get her to test me. Another method that has been very useful is getting my wife to recite the aayaat to me and I repeat after her. We do this verse by verse until I’ve memorised a whole page. This has been extremely beneficial for me when I am faced with soorahs that I am having difficulty in. Even with this method, I would go back to the mushaf afterwards and use it to build a photographic imprint of the page in my memory. Alhamdulillaah these methods have helped me a lot and my goal is to finish the Qur’aan during my time here and I pray to Allaah that He facilitates that goal for me. Aameen. Until then, my journey with the Qur’aan continues.

What advice would I give to those who want to memorise?

Don’t give up and don’t ever think that you cannot do it. I often had these whispers running through my mind and only in the last month or so have I managed to push them away. Now that I look back, I realise that this negativity played a large role in setting me back. I am not one of those people who are able to memorise large chunks of the Qur’aan within minutes and when I started out, it took me a long time to memorise just a few aayaat but as I keep going, it has been getting easier to memorise alhamdulillaah and I realise how true Allaah’s words are when He said:

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ

And We have indeed made the Qur’ân easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)? (Al-Qamar 54:17)

Link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

for this thread. That ayah you posted at the end ^^^ when i first came across it and an explanation of it, it really did and has given me the boost because Allah says that He has made the Quran easy to remember but who will remember. That really helps. One main thing as well that helps is making dua. I just want to add i started personally last year ramadhan (it took me a year to complete a juzz (on and off) but i was shocked when i heard others who had completed the entire Quran in like a year, and i though to myself how can it take me one year to complete a juzz. But i have also found that being consistent is the key and as you posted in the OP when you have a love for something that really drives you forward. An fitting it into your daily routine, like walking, sitting, waiting for the microwave to finish this really helps.

I used to think that it would be such a difficult journey, but i am continuing and inshaAllah we will all get there. An make it a competition (to really kick things in) compete with someone, be the one who knows the most in your house so you motivate others to memorise as well.

Use tafsir and definety a translation so you understand and learn what you are memorising so you can act upon it. I'm telling you, this journey is the best journey ever, the sweetness of learning more and more is amazing, it increases your iman, explains situations, you will also find yourself remembering certain ayaat in particular situations walahi! Another thing, depending on what juzz/surah you are currently memorising make sure you have the next juzz on your mp3 or phone and listen to that in your spare time (because it aids in memorisation). Make it a daily part of your routine, you will become a loner, isolating yourself from the rest of the fam in the house but what better thing to isolate yourself with than the Quran.

Whoever says that memorising the Quran is difficult is lieing because Allah has made it easy.

May Allah Swt accept our actions, purify our intentions, make us act upon what we learn, increase our ranks in janaah and have mercy upon this ummah ameen
    (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

jazakallah khayr! i think im just lacking the motivation

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jannah101 View Post
    jazakallah khayr! i think im just lacking the motivation
    Everyone needs that motivational push , its something different for everyone some people its umrah some people its hearing an ayah.

Just increase your sunnahs and duas and it should work out.

ایک بار پکار کے تو دیکھو .mirror.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3851 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zaidfp View Post
    Memorising the Qur'an can be easy but that depends on the persons commitments. For example when i did it, I use to go school and college.. so this was my daily timetable

6.30 -8.00 - hifz class
    8.45 - 3.25 - school [sometimes 4.30]
    5.00 - 7.30 - hifz class

Then I would eat, do homework and go sleep..

So for me it was quite tough.. The main thing is avoiding sin though.. A person that avoids sin will find it very easy to remember the qur'an. But obviously what the OP said is correct.

Majority of students in my area go through this timetable, so it is difficult, especially when you are in year 10/11 and college as you got tons of cw and hw...

But Allah selects which one of his servants he wants to remember his word
    ما شاء الله
    How long did it took you brother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brother Raakin from the forum has a blog "Diaries of a Hafiz"
    It contains his Ramadan experience from leading Taraweeh, other advices on Hifz etc.

http://diariesofahafiz.com/

Tullaib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    ما شاء الله
    How long did it took you brother?
    about 5 years

Thirsty for knowledge niqaabi_nusrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

There is much very useful advice here. I love memorising, but as an english native speaker to whom Arabic does not come easily, it often seems very difficult and is quite daunting. I am very grateful for the encouragement. I think the advice to put a fixed amount of time aside very day for memorisation is excellent. There should be no excuses. Alhumdulillah there are so many excellent resources available on-line to help with memorising these days.

Kamaa Tadeenu Tudaan Abu Mus'ab's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_middle_road View Post
    Just so it's clear, I didn't write that post. And I'm not Abu Thabit.
    shucks and here i was thinking i learnt your kunyah :|

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    917 Post(s)

thanks for sharing.
    'And when a thing for which you ask is slow to come,
    Then know that often through delay are gifts received'
    علي الحبشي

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

for sharing .how on earth i missed this thread.

For me personally 'look and read' review method is more beneficial than 'listen and recite' :d, awotelse helps me is reading loudly (not loud loud lol ) while recording it

ok i have few questions:

1. how do you guys manage to recite 1 loooooooooooooong ayah in 1 breath, i find it sooooooo hard infact sumtyms impossible.

2. do u breath thru nose or mouth while reciting? cos i dunno how i breath but my throat get dried up pretty quick.
    Last edited by Al-hayaa; 01-10-10 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

1. how do you guys manage to recite 1 loooooooooooooong ayah in 1 breath, i find it sooooooo hard infact sumtyms impossible.
    You don't. You break the ayah up into smaller parts.

2. do u breath thru nose or mouth while reciting? cos i dunno how i breath but my throat get dried up pretty quick.
    Ummm, the mouth. Not really thought about it.

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-hayaa View Post
    for sharing .how on earth i missed this thread.

For me personally 'look and read' review method is more beneficial than 'listen and recite' :d, awotelse helps me is reading loudly (not loud loud lol ) while recording it

ok i have few questions:

some advice on breathing from a famous Saudi recitor , swimmihng , breath from stomach not from your chest if that makes sense. like when the doctor asks you to take a deep breath learn that type of breathing make it managable thats what i do and many of my friends.

also these ayaat have stops where your reccomnded to stop or must stop. simply folllow it.
    do not stop where you cannot stop as you might change the flow of the story

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Khattab View Post
    A taste of what it feels like to memorise the Qur'an:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Svd...eature=related
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Memorizing the Holy Book at 70

~~~~~~~~~~~

The love for the Holy Book and a determination to memorize it enabled a Saudi to overcome age and other barriers to fulfill a life’s ambition. Though he was above 70, Abdullah Muhammad Musa was able to memorize the Holy Qur’an and graduate with honors from the Qur’an Memorization Group for Adults at King Abdul Aziz Mosque here. He scored an average of 91 percent.

“When I was young, I memorized two chapters of the Holy Book but later forgot them completely, carried away by the cares of life,” Musa told Arab News. He, however, made it clear that his love for the Qur’an was always there and it was this love that pushed him to fulfill his dream at such an advanced age. He joined the special courses being held at mosques during the evenings for old men. “This gave old people like me and employees a chance to learn the Book of Allah,” he said. Musa said he began memorizing the Qur’an at King Abdul Aziz Mosque where he was able to learn 10 chapters by heart. “At first I faced great difficulty in pronunciation and Tajweed but was later able to overcome these problems,” he recalled.

He later joined the Qur’an memorization circle at Salah Karamah Mosque where he memorized all the 30 chapters of the Holy Book in two and a half years. “I used to memorize two to three pages every day during the day and in the evenings I would go to King Abdul Aziz Mosque to revise about two chapters of the Holy Book,” he said. Musa said without the encouragement and assistance from his wife and sons his quest to learn the Qur’an would have been unfulfilled. Despite his age, Musa walked daily for about six km from his house to the two mosques where he studied the Qur’an.

Muhammad Humaidan | Arab News JEDDAH:

Source: http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1§… KEN=77460159

Link

Mentioned
    573 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1556 Post(s)

FeeQalabee

http://feeqalbee.wordpress.com/

some really inspirational stuff from the sisters, Masha'Allah
    Last edited by Jenicca; 06-10-10 at 11:05 AM.
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

tabarakallaah a motivational read for sharing it

Quote Originally Posted by the_middle_road View Post
    You don't. You break the ayah up into smaller parts.

Ummm, the mouth. Not really thought about it.
    But they don't allow me to....like u knw tht ayah in furQaan wa-ladhiinaa laa yad'unaa m'allaahi...........wa laa yaznuun. now thsi ayaah i find difficult to read in 1 breath if i recite it, but while looking and readin i manage to without stoppin inbetween. IF tht makes sense?:S

LOL i too neva giv it a thought. But apparently i shud b breathin frm nose and not mouth.

some advice on breathing from a famous Saudi recitor , swimmihng , breath from stomach not from your chest if that makes sense. like when the doctor asks you to take a deep breath learn that type of breathing make it managable thats what i do and many of my friends.

also these ayaat have stops where your reccomnded to stop or must stop. simply folllow it.
    do not stop where you cannot stop as you might change the flow of the story
    ahh i wil giv it a try, not swimin but latter bit

hmm the ayaat i m referin to are like continuous tho, mayb the issue is with me and i need more practice, bi-idhnillaah

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

~~~~~~~~~~

I found a small Arabic e-book a couple of years back, titled ‘How to memorise the Qur’aan in one Month’. At the time, I remember reading the title and thinking, ‘One month?! That’s impossible!’ I skimmed the pages of the PDF file but never read it until I completed my own memorisation. In the e-book, there were several accounts of how others managed to complete their hifdh but one story touched and inspired me a great deal. It is the story of a married sister by the name Umm Zayd who despite the responsibilities of housework, looking after children and tending to her husband’s needs, managed to memorise the entire Qur’aan under unique circumstances. I will briefly narrate her story to you in the hope that it will instil within you the encouragement and drive to achieve similar to what she did.

Umm Zayd doesn’t mention when she started her journey towards memorising the Qur’aan but she mentions how she felt the task would be unattainable and extremely difficult. She says she never dreamt in her wildest dreams that she would ever complete memorising the entire Qur’aan. When she first started to memorise, she began with Soorah al-Baqarah and Aali-‘Imraan, thinking they would be the hardest and take the longest. Her memorisation of these two chapters was extremely prolonged and lasted 7 years.

During one Ramadhaan, her husband told her that he would be spending the last fifteen remaining days performing I’tikaaf (seclusion) in the Haram (Makkah). This was difficult for Umm Zayd as she would be left alone with her four sons and they lived in a remote place, far away from family and friends, and the few neighbours she had did not mingle and preferred to keep to themselves. So when the time came for her husband to travel, she says, “I raised my hands to the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful and supplicated with a supplication of one in distress and tears poured from me, O My Lord, You are the Most Merciful of those who show mercy. Grant me righteous companions who are more virtuous than me so that I may (strive to) be like them and so that they may be for me the best of companions.” So Allaah answered her du’aa quickly. Whilst sitting in front of her computer one day, she came across an online academy for memorisers of the Qur’aan and at the time she did not realise that her entering this website was the answer to her supplication but she says she entered the website in a state of sadness and when she left, she was in a completely different state to that which she was when she entered. She met through this online academy the best of sisters who inspired her with their striving to reach this noble goal. She says, “There were sisters there who had memorised the Qur’aan in three days and (here) I was, in seven years I haven’t managed to memorise anything other than two chapters!” So Allaah removed Umm Zayd’s sadness and replaced it with a new found spirit and she said to herself, this Ramadhaan will be different from previous ones. She decided she would strive her utmost to complete memorising the Qur’aan in the last ten blessed days.

Umm Zayd reminded herself of the various ahaadeeth speaking of the virtues and rewards of the memorisers of the Qur’aan, those who are the best of mankind and who have gained the pleasure of Allaah and His abundant blessings! She wrote all these things down and placed them with her mushaf, which was to be her close companion on this journey.

She performed wudhoo (ablution), sat down and opened the mushaf. She began by placing her trust in Allaah and repeating out loudly the verse from the Qur’aan, ‘And We have indeed made the Qur’aan easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?’ (Soorah al-Qamar 54:17). She set herself a target of memorising one page in ten minutes and so she memorised, page after page and each time she completed one page, Umm Zayd supplicated to Allaah to make firm her memorisation and said, “O My Lord, I commit to you what you have taught me so guard it for me.” She began to memorise from the time of Dhuhaa up until 2.30pm in the afternoon. She took a short break and returned to memorising up until close to the time of ‘Ishaa prayer. By the end of the day, she had memorised three juz!! Glory be to Allaah who grants these great blessings but unfortunately we do not know how to show due gratitude!

After six days, she had completed memorising twelve juz and started to contemplate whether she should continue memorising or review what she had covered so far. She sought the advice of the sisters she met via the online academy and they encouraged her to continue memorising. She looked forward to the return of her husband and for ‘Eed day to come, when she will have two joys; the joy of completing the fast of Ramadhaan and the joy of completing her memorisation.

But Allaah brought upon her trials to test her resolve and the sincerity of her intention; was she going to give in to the tests or would she continue to achieve her goal? On one particular day, she only managed to memorise two pages, not because she was unable to do so but because she became extremely busied by many things. Amongst them were that all her four sons fell ill with an extreme fever and she was awakened throughout the hours of the night tending to them, especially her youngest child who wept profusely. Then by the Will of Allaah, Umm Zayd herself fell ill but she did not stop memorising. She strove to do as much as she could until Allaah cured them all and kept saying to herself, “I will complete it soon InshaaAllaah.”

Their remained for her only ten juz to memorise and by the grace of Allaah, she memorised them quickly and easily. On the final day, she woke up that morning having dreamt a beautiful dream that this would be the day she completed memorising the Qur’aan and she was filled with immense joy. She had three juz remaining and by now, she was able to memorise an entire page in five to eight minutes. At 9pm that night, she completed her memorisation and she tells of how she was overcome with strange feelings and emotions, the like of which she had never experienced before, nor could she describe to the readers in words.

When she read the final verse, she threw herself onto the ground and prostrated a prostration of thankfulness, weeping out of happiness that she was finally carrying the Qur’aan in her chest. She thanked Allaah for granting her the ability to do so before death approached her and she hurried to share this happiness with her husband.

At the end of her account, she gives some final words of advice saying, “I am a woman like any other woman. I have a husband and children and they study in select schools known for their demanding curriculums and teaching methods. I memorised the Qur’aan without neglecting any of my duties and responsibilities, I put my children and (helping them with) their education first, and always hastened to do what would please my husband without falling short in giving him his rights and always fulfilled my obligations completely. And to Allaah is all Praise. O you mothers! By Allaah! Do not ever make excuses for your not memorising the Qur’aan. So how about those young girls who are not married and do not have such responsibilities upon them?

She goes on to say, “When I thought that Soorah al-Baqarah and Aali ‘Imraan would be hard to memorise and take a long time, Allaah gave me that which I thought, for my memorisation of these two chapters was extremely prolonged. It took 7 years because I did not have good thoughts but when I placed my trust in Allaah and thought well of Him, and said I will memorise the entire Qur’aan in a short space of time, Allaah honoured me with the memorisation of His Book and made it easy for me….O you who wishes to memorise the Qur’aan! Place your trust in Allaah and be true and sincere and have good thoughts about Allaah that He will direct and facilitate that for you, for By Allaah, you will find that (you will reach that goal) quickly.”

Link

~~~~~~~~~~

Alhamdulillah, 6000th post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-hayaa View Post
    tabarakallaah a motivational read for sharing it
    The one below it is even better.

But they don't allow me to....like u knw tht ayah in furQaan wa-ladhiinaa laa yad'unaa m'allaahi...........wa laa yaznuun. now thsi ayaah i find difficult to read in 1 breath if i recite it, but while looking and readin i manage to without stoppin inbetween. IF tht makes sense?:S
    You could read it like this:

وَالَّذِينَ لا يَدْعُونَ مَعَ اللَّهِ إِلَهًا آخَرَ وَلا يَقْتُلُونَ النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ

وَلا يَقْتُلُونَ النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ إِلا بِالْحَقِّ وَلا يَزْنُونَ

وَمَنْ يَفْعَلْ ذَلِكَ يَلْقَ أَثَامًا

And Allah ta'ala knows best.
    Last edited by the_middle_road; 06-10-10 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    573 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1556 Post(s)

akhi TMR can you post that link to the thread you made ages ago about sisters posting their stories about why they did Hifdh.

Ive been looking for it, but cant seem to find it.

وَالْعَصْرِ

Khanqah Habibiyah

1 purpose, 1 path, 1 goal Jilbabi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Do they not see the birds above them, spreading out their wings and folding them in? None upholds them except the Most Gracious. Verily, He is the All-Seer of everything" ..Surah Mulk..