Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Basics: How do i create a website?

I'd like to create a website or something beneficial anyway. How/where do i start?

What do you recommend i should do with the net?
    (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Basics: How do i create a website?

Find hosting, buy a domain name, design it with KompoZer, and upload it via FTP with FileZilla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abdullahajj View Post
    Find hosting, buy a domain name, design it with KompoZer, and upload it via FTP with FileZilla.
    B A S I C S please, i've not always been that good with computer stuff
    (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

أبحث مفتاح الدار السلام ibnuadam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

try wordpress or any other blogging site first. get the feel of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

agreed with the last post. many websites today are blog-based or have a blog look and feel to them. sign up with any of the free blogging sites like blogger, wordpress, tumblr, etc and you'll have lots of free templates to choose from to get you up and running quickly.

come up with a category or topic for your site and just start blogging about it whether it's personal or islamic or entertainment. whatever you want to write about just see how it goes. since they're free you can always ditch it or start over if you don't like the direction it's going and you can always register a .com/.net domain later so just focus on your content and what you want first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yeah i have started that. I see, that makes sense.

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibnuadam View Post
    try wordpress or any other blogging site first. get the feel of it

Plus, you don't have to worry about html so much, since they take care of most things for you.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wordpress blog - http://en.wordpress.com/signup/ - Then if you want, you can buy a domain which is £6 for 2 years.. Opt out of whois.. Forward domain name to the blog. It's pretty simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -MA- View Post
    Wordpress blog - http://en.wordpress.com/signup/ - Then if you want, you can buy a domain which is £6 for 2 years.. Opt out of whois.. Forward domain name to the blog. It's pretty simple.
    Yeah i've started. The rest after the link doesn't sound easy/simple.

What are the basics, generals for creating a website. Like where would someone start. E.g. topic/idea, sub categories etc etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wa Alikum Assalam

I've been a web designer for a while so I can tell you few things
    Ok, so as you say you are new to all this, you should use pre-made scripts like this forum uses(vBulletin).If you'd like to run a forum, then use Mybb(coz its free) or if you can pay then vBulletin.If you'd like a blog, then wordpress.If wiki(like wikipedia), then Mediawiki.There are many just google it
    First) You need to get a hosting.No, I found a nice free web hosting site! Yes FREE! You just have to post on their forum monthly a fixed amount of money(which depends upon your package; the better package, the more posts.Better packages give you more space, bandwidth(Think of a pipe.A greater pipe has a greater BAND-WIDTH==.So more data can be transferred in lesser time.)).The website is www.sitefrost.com.
    Then) You can either get their domain or use this one www.co.cc.You can get a domain like www.mydomain.co.cc..COM and .NET domains are not free.
    Then you need to tell to your web hosting the domain you wanna use
    Then you need to install the software!
    Yes it seems hard at the beginning.But its a childplay ,later!

And if you already did all that(or something else), then still ask me.I am familiar with them .I can help you as a webmaster too if you'd like to

I can help you as much as I can.Just P.M me.I'll tell you many things InshaAllah.Just ask me!
    Last edited by MMohammed; 21-08-10 at 12:54 PM.
    Lets change our world; lets change ourselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

According to my experience , i used this site http://www.goresellers.com/ & got the account as a reseller & got the software for building the website at cheap cost ..
    They are very much good in providing services ..

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bump

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

i reccomend asking a trusted professional to do it for you aka ms
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MuslimByChoice View Post

I'd like to create a website or something beneficial anyway. How/where do i start?

Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Lost in the journey ... Brother Hassan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

If you want a website, try weebly.com
    Then) You can either get their domain or use this one www.co.cc.You can get a domain like www.mydomain.co.cc..COM and .NET domains are not free.
    .co.cc is no longer indexed by google. dot.tk is far better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with vincy............................

Odan
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by naila-k View Post
    i reccomend asking a trusted professional to do it for you aka ms
    yes yes come to me for your sites

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

anyone know which is better as ecommerce software, tomatocart or prestashop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_abdullah View Post
    anyone know which is better as ecommerce software, tomatocart or prestashop?
    Try Opencart bro.

Tomatocart I didnt like the admin panel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Try Opencart bro.

Tomatocart I didnt like the admin panel.
    a few questions.

is open cart the most configurable of the ecommerce solutions?

does it have a wysiwyg interface to allow you to move around page elements/modules, like prestashop?

does it have excelklent seo., banking/payment service integration?

does it have many FREE addons supported within the community? Is say this because most of the best addons for prestashop are chargeable.

one more thing, my host is bluehost and they don't offer automatic installation of opencart (they do others like tomatoecart, prestashop, oscommerce, magento etc), i'd have to install it via mysql. is it easy? how do i do it?

does it also support google checkout, amazon checkout and credit card payments?

edit: i checked the demo. is there a way to add your own custom modules? I basically want a site just like this, with modules for blog reviews and other custom areas:

http://www.clickshop.com/
    http://www.logic3.com/

jazakallah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_abdullah View Post
    a few questions.

is open cart the most configurable of the ecommerce solutions?

does it have a wysiwyg interface to allow you to move around pae elements, like prestashop?

does it have excelklent seo., banking/payment service integration?

does it have many FREE addons supported within the community? Is say this because most of the best addons for prestashop are chargeable.

one more thing, my host is bluehost and they don't offer automatic installation of opencart (they do others like tomatoecart, prestashop, oscommerce, magento etc), i'd have to install it via mysql. is it easy? how do i do it?

does it also support google checkout, amazon checkout and credit card payments?

edit: i checked the demo. is there a way to add your own custom modules? I basically want a site just like this, with modules for blog reviews and other custom areas:

http://www.clickshop.com/
    http://www.logic3.com/

jazakallah
    The most configurable in my opinion bro is Cubecart. Very simple to use templating system. However, it's beginning to become a bit dated and the themes are crap unless heavily modified.

Magento is a brilliant shopping cart, with some amazing themes out there and great extensions. However it is complicated to use in the backend and takes a bit of time to get used to.

Opencart extensions are here: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?ro...sion/extension

I used it briefly and found the back end similar to Magento but much easier to use. Some nice themes for it online too http://www.opencart.com/index.php?ro...tension&path=1 which you can build on.

It's the same as every other cart that uses mysql. You would need to make a table, add a user.. and then install the cart using the install pages it guide you through with.

If you want blogs, reviews etc I would go with Magento. Its good but with a steep learning curve!

PS: The logic3 site uses Magento
    Last edited by -MA-; 29-04-12 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

The most configurable in my opinion bro is Cubecart. Very simple to use templating system. However, it's beginning to become a bit dated and the themes are crap unless heavily modified.

Magento is a brilliant shopping cart, with some amazing themes out there and great extensions. However it is complicated to use in the backend and takes a bit of time to get used to.

Opencart extensions are here: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?ro...sion/extension

I used it briefly and found the back end similar to Magento but much easier to use. Some nice themes for it online too http://www.opencart.com/index.php?ro...tension&path=1 which you can build on.

It's the same as every other cart that uses mysql. You would need to make a table, add a user.. and then install the cart using the install pages it guide you through with.

If you want blogs, reviews etc I would go with Magento. Its good but with a steep learning curve!

PS: The logic3 site uses Magento
    jazakallah bro.

so you would not recommend prestashop or tomatocart?

any good guides on magento? are there any particular addons which allow more easier, more intuitive configuration?

i shall be asking you for info all the time bro! lol

i have a free wordpress blog. i am planning to migrate the entire blog to a hosted wordpress blog. this will allow me to add adverts. i want to present the blog in a newsportal fashion. if you have any knowledge of wordpress template coding, would you like to join this thing that i'm doing? you can PM me if you're interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1MuslimByChoice View Post

This is an old Q but I will answer anyways. Godaddy.com is great for e-commerce sites where you plan to sell items.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For Feel free visit xnynz.comm for creating a new website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To create a website, all you need is a good web builder and the idea of what you want your website to look like. I recommend using Wix http://www.webbuildersguide.com/free-website-builders/ because it's very easy to use, even for a beginner, plus I really like their remplates. There are plenty of tutroials on how to use it, on Youtube for example (in case you ned some assistance). Hope this helps!