Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Toddler girl regarding self-stimulation/masturbation

asalam u alaikum,

Not an easy subject, nevertheless, one that is affecting my family.

My niece is nearly 3 years old and she rubs, stimulates, (reluctantly wanting to use the word) masturbates and she has been from nearly 1.5 - 2 years old.

When my sister "catches" her (as she now does it in secret) she tells her off which leads to my niece feeling embarrassed and teary.

When my brother in-law "catches" her, he calmly and nicely calls her name and asks what is she doing - she responds by trying to change subject or distract my BIL by playing games.

Our concern is: is it normal? Is it something we need to address with a doctor/psychologist? Is it a passing faze? How shall we, the family, address it - ie should it be the womenfolk or the men or both?

Please note: My niece has never been left alone with anyone but my sister (mum), brother -in-law (dad), my parents (grandparents) and myself so we are confident that this was not anything relating to sexual abuse of any kind.
    Rhetoric

Re: Toddler girl regarding self-stimulation/masturbation

Tis Normal My Son - One Years Old Plays Down Their Too Its Called Exploring Just Need To Explain Thats Its Not A Good thing To Do. Or A Nice Thing. Dont Say Say Its Dirty Like The Place Is Dirty

I Hope U Get What I Mean
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

I think it's just curiosity and nothing to worry about? Try distracting her when she does that
    "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

dont make a big deal about it, dont ask her whats shes doing,or tell her off, just ignore it and distract her into doing something else.if u make an issue of it, it will become an issue.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Quote Originally Posted by Proud-2b-MUSLIM View Post

I think it's just curiosity and nothing to worry about? Try distracting her when she does that

Yeah Dw She Ent Mental Its Just Getting To Know Whats What. She Is Intrested Of What Its For. Like Adam Is Obsessed With Belly Buttons
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

if she loves a certain thing very much..like i liked toy cars alot whn i was like 10 lol..whn she masturbates try distracting her with all the stuff she likes n if she doesnt do it ask the doc if it wud be okay to purposely make her not masturbate when she starts again cuz idk what will happen in her growing ages if she still masturbates
    Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
    فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Quote Originally Posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
    if she loves a certain thing very much..like i liked toy cars alot whn i was like 10 lol..whn she masturbates try distracting her with all the stuff she likes n if she doesnt do it ask the doc if it wud be okay to purposely make her not masturbate when she starts again cuz idk what will happen in her growing ages if she still masturbates
    No hesitating using that word multiple times
    Kids love to explore, and they see that part of their body as something to explore, they may get sensation from touching Allahu alam but they do it innocently. so like sis asiya said best way don't make a big deal and distract her, tickle her or something and she'll forget all about it inshaAllah
    "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

Quote Originally Posted by Proud-2b-MUSLIM View Post
    No hesitating using that word multiple times
    Kids love to explore, and they see that part of their body as something to explore, they may get sensation from touching Allahu alam but they do it innocently. so like sis asiya said best way don't make a big deal and distract her, tickle her or something and she'll forget all about it inshaAllah
    loool idk man lol i was worrying overly
    Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
    فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Account Disabled

Basically as a a father of two kids. I know where u r coming from. It's an exploration thing. They just need to be taught about shame and purity. Do it nicely and with patience .

It is normal, but uncomfortable behaviour.

There was a medical drama in which a mother was concerned cos' her 3 year old daughter was doing this and the Dr told her it's not that unusual at her age, give her a little talk about privacy and don't make a big deal about it. I was surprised but I since found out this sort of thing isn't too unusual. If you're really THAT worried, then there's no harm in speaking to her Dr about it.

~**~**~**~**~**~ ze leetle elper's Avatar

Its normal for children to explore their bodies, they do not differenciate between private areas and areas like face/ hands/ feet etc. Its all the same to them so instead of telling her off (for what exactly? She won't even understand why she is being told off!) its better to actually talk with her and explain to her what those areas are. At 3 years old I'm sure she will be able to understand, you can tell her the different names of the parts of the body, you can tell her what the function of each one is ie: bottom is for poo-poo and 'front bottom' (we use this word with our toddler daughter) is for wee-wee, both areas are dirty to touch because of what comes out from there so you must wash your hands if you ever touch you bottom, even just to itch or something etc etc. If you make a big deal and noise about it she will just do it when you are not looking instead.

Also just to be clear I don't think a child of tht age can mastubate, she is just exploring the area and most likely trying to understand the sensation she gets when she touches those areas.

If she persistently rubs are privates it could also be a case of some sort of rash or dry skin which is causing the discomfort. Or it could just be habit lke some kids suck their thumbs, some kids pull or twist their hair, some kids like to stick their fingers in their belly buttons lol!
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,

I agree with the posts above, they don't know what masturbation is, and it's not that, it's just exploration (or like zee said it could be because it's sore?). If you tell her off it's not really fair on her because she doesn't understand why she's being told off, it's not rational (to her) that it's naughty to touch part of her. Distracting her with favourite toys or something else she likes is a good strategy, also a small, age appropriate explanation about it is good...... my little girl (nearly 4) was doing that, and I told her she should keep her fingers away from it cause her fingers were all grubby from playing outside, with paint, crayons, all sorts of toddler messy play lol, (she does wash her hands but they're a dirt magnet so they don't stay clean for long!) and that she should keep her "front bottom" clean otherwise it will get sore, that means cleaning it after using the toilet and not putting her grubby fingers there. And I totally agree with sis asiya that if you make a big deal out of it then it becomes a big deal. Keep everything low key and on the level of why you clean yourself after the toilet kind of thing, rather than making it into something naughty when they're too young to understand that it's naughty.

Just Another Abid

Both my sons like to play with their bits, it's stuck in a nappy all day so when they finally get a bit of freedom, they start touching it. DON'T call it masturbation, thats so dodgy, they don't even know what it is, let alone what it's for and stuff.

Just give her something else to play with and occupy her hands...it should stop by the time she goes to school/nursery if it doesn't then you gotta get some new tactics. I've got 18 nieces and nephews Masha'Allah, i've seen a number of them go through these phases, first time I saw my nephew sit on his mums lap and play with his thing, I was like 'What the hell?'

Overtime you realise it's nothing to worry about unless it lasts.

Like the above said, its not masturbation
    "And We will remove whatever is in their breasts of resentment, [so they will be] brothers, on thrones facing each other."
    Al Hijr: 47

شهيد إن شاء الله

you need to stop this now in a good polite manner because this wil become a habbit. i know of some cases and the children mar full blown masturbating by 8 or 9 years old. girls can get horrible yeast infections and as for boys will its just dammages the family jewls perminatly.

this also will lead to sexual pomiscuity
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

i can't understand how a 3 year old knows what mastibation is, perhaps she has a skin infection or a rash!
    From brother Pearl44uk.

Allah Hu Akbar

Quote Originally Posted by uncle umar View Post
    you need to stop this now in a good polite manner because this wil become a habbit. i know of some cases and the children mar full blown masturbating by 8 or 9 years old. girls can get horrible yeast infections and as for boys will its just dammages the family jewls perminatly.

this also will lead to sexual pomiscuity
    seriously, do u have any evidence for the above? u make it sound so scary

شهيد إن شاء الله

well first off, i know cause my mom let it fly with me till i was 9. really, its leads to kids learning about sex a way to young of an age. at 9 years old i was trying to have sex with classmates and one incident a teacher and thats when i got sent to counsiling. at 9 years old i should not know what certian body parts are and what they do. and i want the only one that went through this.

children dont know what masturbating is untill its explained to them. however every child can feel pleasure. and every child discovers the spots eventually just from curiosity. they dont know what they are feeling, they jud know that it feels good when you rub.

so on the male side i know from personal experience and from friends back in the day.

on the female side ive heard reports of this with the infections and also sexual pomiscuity.

now, to stop this, one should not shun the child. they simply dont know. you help them in a productive way because its curiosity that got them here, so if you answer what it is thy are feeling corectly, this will end it right then and there. and then end it off with a "dont touch" tpe of message.

if one lets it go the possibility of a sexualy active child is there. kids are having sex now before puberty and yes that is possible. not to mention culture is cradleing this new type of young love. so to them its normal.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

sponsor an orphan

well first off, i know cause my mom let it fly with me till i was 9. really, its leads to kids learning about sex a way to young of an age. at 9 years old i was trying to have sex with classmates and one incident a teacher and thats when i got sent to counsiling. at 9 years old i should not know what certian body parts are and what they do. and i want the only one that went through this.

children dont know what masturbating is untill its explained to them. however every child can feel pleasure. and every child discovers the spots eventually just from curiosity. they dont know what they are feeling, they jud know that it feels good when you rub.

so on the male side i know from personal experience and from friends back in the day.

on the female side ive heard reports of this with the infections and also sexual pomiscuity.

now, to stop this, one should not shun the child. they simply dont know. you help them in a productive way because its curiosity that got them here, so if you answer what it is thy are feeling corectly, this will end it right then and there. and then end it off with a "dont touch" tpe of message.

if one lets it go the possibility of a sexualy active child is there. kids are having sex now before puberty and yes that is possible. not to mention culture is cradleing this new type of young love. so to them its normal.
    erm too much information lol, but since u mentioned, do u think what u saw on tv influenced ur behaviour at the age of 9?

i don't think a child of 3 years will know what mastibation is!
    From brother Pearl44uk.

Allah Hu Akbar

شهيد إن شاء الله

they dont know its masturbation but they know it feels good.

tv is evil, period. keep it away fro myour kids.

sponsor an orphan

Account Disabled

keep her busy with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxlWvE2U0nw

they dont know its masturbation but they know it feels good.

tv is evil, period. keep it away fro myour kids.
    I think your taking it a bit seriously bro, a 1.5 - 3 year old girl isn't pleasuring herself
    "And We will remove whatever is in their breasts of resentment, [so they will be] brothers, on thrones facing each other."

شهيد إن شاء الله

not on purpose asma-se. they, out of curiousity, are touchingthmself, because they are innocent.

however letting it go on this babsis isint going to help anybody. later on, they will realize what these parts are for. and because they still touch there, they know it fels good.

curioity killed cat, remember. well kids are more curous then kittens.

a toddlet dosent know what they are doing they are just discoering their body however an open attitude about this from parrents later on will basicly give the message thats its ok to touch there.

sponsor an orphan

not on purpose asma-se. they, out of curiousity, are touchingthmself, because they are innocent.

however letting it go on this babsis isint going to help anybody. later on, they will realize what these parts are for. and because they still touch there, they know it fels good.

curioity killed cat, remember. well kids are more curous then kittens.

a toddlet dosent know what they are doing they are just discoering their body however an open attitude about this from parrents later on will basicly give the message thats its ok to touch there.
    Agree I thought you meant at they age they are doing it in an adult way

شهيد إن شاء الله

no ofcourse not. they are simply curious.

while in the bathtub they look at their bodies because they ate learning what their hands do, what fingers do, what toes do. what they do and how they work. so they get all touchey feely on themself cause this is a world of discovery for them. and eventually they come acroos their private parts and they say "hey i never noticed that before" so this is simply somthing new to them. and its kinda cute cause they so innocent you know. they dont know.

thats why its good to kindly explain in a mature way not to touch those parts, to help preserve that innocence(not just physicly, mentally too). in this case, ignorance is bliss because when they become teenagers and al lthe canges start happening, you want them to have a solid understand of what purity of the mind is.

but a parrent knows best here. im just learning from the mistakes of my mother. basicly, im going to try the oppistie of everything she did with me. although she meant good and she loves me with all her heart......theres no denying that some mistakes were made and i dont want to repeat those with my childern if i am ever blessed with offspring.

sponsor an orphan

Quote Originally Posted by brotherpearl44uk View Post
    i don't think a child of 3 years will know what mastibation is!
    agreed kids that age arent aware of stuff like that, best thing to get it checked out by doctor could be medical reason, skin irritation or whatever.
    82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

28. 26-09-11, 04:02 PM

Reason
    inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by empty&wrong View Post
    asalam u alaikum,

My niece is nearly 3 years old and she rubs, stimulates, (reluctantly wanting to use the word) masturbates and she has been from nearly 1.5 - 2 years old.

When my sister "catches" her (as she now does it in secret) she tells her off which leads to my niece feeling embarrassed and teary.

When my brother in-law "catches" her, he calmly and nicely calls her name and asks what is she doing - she responds by trying to change subject or distract my BIL by playing games.

Our concern is: is it normal? Is it something we need to address with a doctor/psychologist? Is it a passing faze? How shall we, the family, address it - ie should it be the womenfolk or the men or both?

Please note: My niece has never been left alone with anyone but my sister (mum), brother -in-law (dad), my parents (grandparents) and myself so we are confident that this was not anything relating to sexual abuse of any kind.
    when a very young child touches themselves, its solely because it is a pleasurable sensation

tell them, in a nice voice, NOT to do it, just as you would tell them not to touch you there, or touch a stove or an electrical outlet

funny, how some of my kids did it, and others didnt, and it did not reflect in their upbringing or "sexuality" (not that i can tell, you would have to ask their spouses if you want to actual answer)
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by empty&wrong View Post
    asalam u alaikum,

a 3 year old is Not Baligh and certainly not responsible for what they do ...

all you need to do is explain that it is not right ...

no need to be overly concerned with underage children doing such stuff ...

especially since they have not reached a age capable of distinguishing Right from Wrong ...

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

31. 26-09-11, 05:11 PM

Reason
    your not funny

32. 29-09-11, 07:41 AM