Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

why we say "Astaghfirullah" when angry/object to something?

some Muslims use the term "Astaghfirullah" the wrong way, they do it as a form of objection to someone or if someone did/wrote something bad!! while in essence "Astaghfirullah" means "I seek Allah's forgiveness", it is something we should say without having to disagree with someone or object to..

Our beloved Prophet used to do Istighfar 70 or more times during the day, so did he wait to see something he highly disagrees with and finds extremely wrong to say it????

I would also suggest the forum administrators to remove the "Astaghfirullah" icon as it indicates the same common mistake, , shows someone saying "no/disagreeing" about something, this is not what Istighfar is about people....
    "Be A Lamp, A Lifeboat, A Ladder, Help Someone's Soul Heal. Walk Out Of Your House Like A Shepherd" - Rumi

I DONT REPLY 2 PM'S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: why we say "Astaghfirullah" when angry/object to something?

lol anyone noticed how "may Allah guide you" is like used as an insult nowadays
    Jo kaam karta hai tu chup ke jahaan se
    koi dekhta hai tujhe aasmaan se

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imported_MMS View Post
    Lol!

Odan
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    628 Post(s)

whats the correct term to use in this situation??

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikha’eel View Post
    whats the correct term to use in this situation??
    maybe a'oodhubillah as in I seek refuge with Allah....
    "Be A Lamp, A Lifeboat, A Ladder, Help Someone's Soul Heal. Walk Out Of Your House Like A Shepherd" - Rumi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tayyiboon View Post
    whats that one thats paks use? nauzobilah - does it even mean anything?

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aadil77 View Post
    whats that one thats paks use? nauzobilah - does it even mean anything?
    yes it is the same as a'oodhubillah but in the plural form, as in we seek refuge with Allah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

No I Think Nowadays Muslims Take And May Allah Guide You In A Wrong Way They Beileve Giving Dawah Or Correction Is Like Your Insulting Them.

I Use All The Time Mostly Upon On Myself - I Use To Use It Harshly Till I Actually Realised That I Was Saying Allah So Harsh
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

so is it permissible to say "Astaghfirullah" after finishing salaat? I've seen many people who say it 3 times, but I say "Allah Akhbar" 3 times instead.

Shoo y3ni?!
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

^say both.

Mentioned
    889 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2995 Post(s)

I don't see the problem, if people are saying astagfirullah only when they find something disagreeable, then alhamdulillah. At least they are saying it, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by islam4u2 View Post
    so is it permissible to say "Astaghfirullah" after finishing salaat? I've seen many people who say it 3 times, but I say "Allah Akhbar" 3 times instead.
    I always say Astagfirullah after Salah. The way I learned it is, your Salah isn't going to be perfect so seek Allah's forgiveness for what your did.
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2675 Post(s)

Subhanallah perhaps?
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

After prayer it is better to follow this
    The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘There are two qualities, no Muslim man acquires them but he will enter Paradise, and they are simple and easy. He should glorify Allaah (say Subhaan Allaah) ten times immediately after each prayer, and praise Him (say Al-hamdu Lillaah) ten times and magnify Him (say Allaahu akbar) ten times.’ I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) counting this on his fingers. He said: ‘That makes one hundred and fifty on the tongue, and one thousand five hundred (hasanaat) in the scales.
    The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever glorifies Allaah (says Subhaan Allaah) thirty-three times immediately after each prayer, and praises Allaah (says Al-hamdu Lillaah) thirty-three times, and magnifies Allaah (says Allaahu akbar) thirty-three times, this makes ninety-nine, then to complete one hundred says Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wahdahu laa shareeka lahu, lahu’l-mulk wa lahu’l-hamd wa huwa ‘ala kulli shay’in qadeer (There is no god except Allaah Alone, with no partner, His is the power and His is the praise, and He is Able to do all things) – his sins will be forgiven even if they are like the foam of the sea.” (Reported by Muslim, 939).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I was told its a sunnah to say astagfirullah 3 times after salaah

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ah well it cant be a bad thing to ask for forgiveness in ones salaat. Shows sincerity I guess. But I am sure the sunnah is to say Allah Akhbar 3 times first though. Every good deed helps.

x-x thanks for that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)

it is Sunnah to say Astaghfirullah 3 times after Salah and there is a beautiful wisdom behind it..

in the prayer many times we wander around, think about many worldly things, so it is very natural right after one finishes Salaah "Astaghfirullah" comes out from the heart as we seek Allah's forgiveness for our lost concentration during the Salaah, and it happened to me many times, then I realized subhanAllah how much that makes sense..

The following links should give you a good idea of what is Sunnah to say after Salaah
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/131850
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2355

seeking truth and insight
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)

some Muslims use the term "Astaghfirullah" the wrong way, they do it as a form of objection to someone or if someone did/wrote something bad!! while in essence "Astaghfirullah" means "I seek Allah's forgiveness", it is something we should say without having to disagree with someone or object to..

I'm trying to understand how this pure sentence "I seek forgiveness in Allah ()", that can be misunderstood or misrepresented in a negative connotation for objection, disagreement, disapproval or to ask someone to repent.

When I say "I seek forgiveness of Allah ()", I regret the shame, abstain by obedience and thereafter lowering myself in humility, being patient with the intention to improve, and to correct or undo the mistake.

I know that the meaning of words can be changed by the sentence, and that it can be rephrased to impose (ironically) but it maybe in vain by doing so.

Astaghfirullah (أَسْتَغْفِرُ اللّٰه‏)
    1. (Islam) In the literal sense, "I seek forgiveness from Allah"; a short prayer of redemption.
    2. (Islam) An expression of shame.
    I should not have done that. Astaghfirullah.
    3. (Islam) An expression of disapproval.
    Astaghfirullah! Look at the state of your room.

Qur'an 71:10 - is'taghfirū اسْتَغْفِرُوا (Ask forgiveness)
    Qur'an 4:106 - Wa-istaghfiri Allaha واستغفر الله (And seek forgiveness (of) Allah)....
    Qur'an 3:135 - fa-istaghfaroo فَاسْتَغْفَرُوا (then ask forgiveness)
    Qur'an 12:98 - astaghfiru أَسْتَغْفِرُ (I will ask forgiveness)

Due to potential misunderstandings and I may have to bracket it's meaning.

Only Allah () knows best.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imported_MMS View Post
    Totally agree - or the other line that's in vogue now is "May Allah make it easy on you" yet they themselves wont offer any help