Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Striving To Inspire

Bismillah
    Assalaamu ‘alaykum wa Rahmatullah,
    Dear sisters:

Alhamdulillah, part of the journey of tahfeedhul Qur’aan, lies in the inspiration, motivation & drive, coupled with will-power to commit Al Qur’aan to memory, bi ithnillah!

And so this month, ‘Fee Qalbee’ brings to you a unique competition entitled:’STRIVING TO INSPIRE.’
    You’re invited to submit your inspirational writings in the form of poetry or prose. The theme being, to write on what personally inspires / inspired you to memorise Al Qur’aan. Your writings can include references to Qur’aanic verses, Prophetic traditions, poems, people, places, circumstances, etc. You may only submit one piece of writing. The competition is open to all sisters around the world. The deadline date is 30th April 2010. Please include your postal address & a brief, 3-line bio on yourself. The maximum word-limit is 1000 words. All entries will be posted onto the blog, after which, readers will vote for the most inspirational writing. All entries should be emailed to: [email protected]
    The writer of the most inspirational entry will win a HIJAAB BOUQUET & ‘Fee Qalbee’ will post an interview with the winning sister, on our blog

Be-Tawfeeq! Much love & du’aas,
    Rayhaanah

(Link)
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: Striving To Inspire

Bismillah
    Assalaamu ‘alaykum wa Rahmatullah
    Dear friends:

Alhamdulillah, today is the 10th May – the last day for the submission of your writing entries for our Hifdhul Qur’aan competition! So yes..still a few more to send in your submissions, via email, to: [email protected]
    If you’d like to find out more on the competition, you can visit our April calendar archives on the blog. Heartfelt gratitude to all those sisters who participated..we really look forward to reading & sharing your entries with all the members of Fee Qalbee soon! And a special shukran to the many sisters who emailed poems / articles, etc. on hifdh, but did not wish for their writings to be submitted for the competition. May Allah Ta’ala reward you all with supreme reward, aameen!

Inshaa Allah, from tomorrow – the 12th May – Fee Qalbee will post one competition entry each day.
    Every submission will be given a code number.
    You would then need to send in your recoomendations for who you think should be the winner of the competition. You can do this, by either one of 2 ways: (1) post a comment on that specific entry when it appearson the blog, or – (2) email : [email protected].
    Remember to quote the code number of the entry that you think should win.
    All readers of the blog can participate in nominating the prize winner. You can nominate more that one entry, if you so wish. All entries will remain on the blog, for the duration of the judging period. The winner will be chosen based on the greatest number of nominations submitted for that particular entry. The winner will be notified via email & the final results will be posted on the FEE QALBEE blog.

BetawfeeqAllah!
    Rayhaanah

(Link)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Who am I ?

I am a book, an encyclopaedia, a constitution, a diary, an adventure,

a mystery and the ultimate discovery.

I can tell you about migration, irrigation, astronomy, technology, biology,

philosophy, geography and also gynaecology.

I can tell you that iron comes from the sky, mountains are pegs that sturdy

the Earth, even before scientists discovered these theories.

I am a story book that tells tales of adventure and love, stories of great people,

places and times. Of maidens so fair and villains that scare.

I can tell you how to solve problems and show you the

answers to all questions.

I am a book with laws and orders, of justice and mercy.

I can teach you economics, physics and can

you believe even mathematics.

I show you case studies and paths to follow.

I am your companion, your guide, your friend and your life’s hand-book.

My chapters are many and a solution for every need.

When you are hungry and sad, despondent and wary, Surah Waaqia

will fill your belly and show you the path clearly.

When your needs are many and stresses are too heavy, then Surah Ya’seen

will fulfil those needs and make your load less heavy.

When you are scared and full of worry, then Ayat al Kursi

is there to protect you and give you strength and bravery.

When you are burning with fever and aching with pain,

I am not only your homeopath but Surah Faatiha

will provide treatment for all pain and make you less teary.

When Moms are scared as childbirth draws near, then Surah Mariam

offers comfort and helps them take care.

And when you spiritually fear the end is near, then Surah Ka’af

is there to help you fare.

I am the most widely read book on Earth and the greatest of miracles.

Do you know of any book that has been memorized cover to cover by millions?

You can find me in paperback or hard-cover, in large print or small.

I am even colour coded so that I can be read with great ease by all.

I can be read in a variety of tones, from soft to loud and with the

most melodious of tunes.

I have travelled a great distance to be in your home; from the greatest of Authors

in the heavens above, through to the most superior of creations,

via the blood of the most unique companions and thankfully,

through the zeal for knowledge of the pious predecessors.

Who am I ? I am Al Quran al Hakeem, your guide to Siraat al Mustakeem.

So open me, read me, and ponder over me.

Love me, cherish me and I promise never to forsake thee.

My name is Salma Vawda. I have 2 children, Sumayyah (15) and Ahmad (7). I love the Quraan. I find it fascinating and inspirational. Everyday the Quraan brings forth new discoveries. I volunteer at the local school to be with the kids during the assembly (due to the Christian ethos, our kids don’t attend). This year my focus is on focusing on the beauty of the Quraan to the children. I tell them of the stories and amazing facts in the Quraan. We also have little competitions and discussions. I find it both rewarding and educational.

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

As I sobbed, I knew that my best friend could hear me. He was always there for me, to comfort me, but also the One who brought me to these tears; to the realization that I was nothing without Him. I longed for an understanding of what I was supposed to accomplish in my life. What was the reason for my being? How could I find my way through this maze called life while I was still only 11 years old, knowing that a vast ocean of temptation lay before me? As my tears soaked into the flowery, cotton pillowcase, my eyes felt heavy and I fell into a sweet slumber.

I dreamt of a prison cell. In it, alone, holding her Qur’an, was a beautiful young lady. She seemed to be at peace, reciting, until the prison bars were opened and she was called out. As she walked past the bars, she approached a bright, white, peaceful light. When I awoke, my heart was filled with joy for I knew that the answer to my prayers was the Qur’an. I would fall into a trance every time I heard the beautiful recitation of Qari Abdul Basit Abdus Samad, a blind hafidh, who recited with the aid of his braille Qur’an. But hifdh seemed to me to be the kind of thing you only hear a few people really do from the millions in this world, and I knew of no such people myself. So I immersed myself in recitation, tajweed and pondering over the English translation of the beautiful holy words.

Just last year, while I was busy networking on a project to promote Muslim unity, I met a wonderful group called Muslim Youth Organization. I discovered that the Jama Masjid in Orlando, FL. holds hifdh classes and that most of the board at MYO had been through at least part of the hifdh program. I was in awe of these young leaders, who not only committed their time to work in the way of Allah, but who also dedicated hours on end to memorizing His word. Finally, I had found a testament to the fact that hifdh was not just a dream, but that it could actually be a reality. I had a million and one questions for my new friends. I clung to every piece of advice they had for me, as I yearned to become a hafidha myself. They shared sites with me that helped them with their hifdh. They encouraged me to embark upon it and told me that the worst that could happen in any case would be that I would have learned even a small portion of the Holy Qur’an, which in itself would be an achievement. They reminded me that Allah has promised us in Sura 54, Ayah 17: ‘And in truth We have made the Qur’an easy to remember; but is there any that remembereth ?’ This verse brought tears to my eyes. My heart overflowed with longing to become a hifdha, and I decided it was time.

Alhamdulil-Lah, I was blessed with the opportunity right away to learn with a hafidh who would come home 4 hours, 4 days a week. It was intense. But I was soaking it all in as fast as I could. Knowing some Arabic really helped with memorization. I loved how my teacher would focus on tajweed and help me with my memorization by giving me hadeeth on the ayahs I was learning, to help me better picture the transition from verse to verse. I was now able to quote a few ayahs from the Qur’an on topics I had covered in the ajzaa that I had completed. I began a blog on hifdh to document what I had learned every week and also formed a ‘Hifdh Helpers’ Group on facebook. I shared my experiences with other students and got ideas and tips from them on how to deal with mental blocks and frustrations.

Unfortunately, my hifdh teacher was not able to make it to teach me consistently and my hifdh began to get rusty. As I continued toward the end of the second Juz I worried if I could even remember the first. I was worried if I could do this at all! Why was my memory so bad? I begged Allah for relief and guidance. It was when I had just finished my Dhohr salaat one afternoon after praying for a solution, that one of my new hifdh mentors who was also a hifdh teacher and knew the predicament I was in, called and said that he would be willing to teach me virtually. I was overjoyed and fell into a sajdah of shukhr. Ever since that day, he has been the most patient teacher I could have ever wished for. His method of teaching me new lessons and reviewing methodically has made me more confident in my ability to remember verses from any juz in the Qur’an that I have already memorized.

Hifdhul Qur’an has been the most rewarding feeling ever. I have had many moments where I’ve been down, and thinking of the new lessons I’ve learned from the Qur’an just cheers me up. I’ve learned that hifdh is not impossible, like I used to think. Just like with salaat or any other good deed Shaytan tries to make hifdh a challenge as well, but with Allah’s help you can surmount your expectations. Hifdh has become a new focus in my life, that gives me a deeper and more meaningful purpose. It helps me get back on track when I am swaying off and brings me to tears with the insight and beauty of the our Lord’s message, while giving me the strength to try and stay firm on the path of taqwa which I dearly long for. May Allah grant us all the hidayah to stay on the righteous path and to light up our hearts and our lives through the Holy Qur’an; Ameen.

I am lucky to be married to the man of my dreams and to be the blessed mom of 3 lovely children ages 14, 11 and 5. I received my degree in Secondary Education and a minor in Biology from the University of Central Florida. I homeschool my 5th and 8th graders and was very excited to start hifdh with them this year. I am also the co-founder and executive director of United Muslim Foundation, which serves to promote unity, education and charity. Life sure is busy, but every moment is cherished <3

Masuma Virji
    Executive Director

Http://UnitedMuslimFoundation.org

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

My path so far…

For a long time The Qur’aan called out to me, I just never knew enough to listen to its call.

I think my love for the Qur’aan started from a very early age. Maybe it was because I grew up seeing my parents and older siblings reading Qur’aan. Before I even had my own Qur’aan, I would ask my father to give me a Qur’aan to read (whilst all the others were reading) – to which he happily obliged by giving me a book with a short compilation of surahs. I can recall that as I grew older my tongue could naturally and easily read the beautiful Arabic language. My Ustaad would praise my reading and comment on how others should work as hard as me. Little did he know that I never worked, let alone worked hard! I was young and fickle-minded and it was only after I started my journey towards memorising the Qur’aan that I began to ponder over all these past moments.

Every Ramadan my siblings and I knew that we had to complete at least 1 Khatm of the Qur’aan. My father, hoping to encourage us- and checking that we were progressing, would question us every now and then at the Iftaar table as to which chapter we were in. I was younger than all the rest, but somehow I always beat them. As I grew older (around my mid-teens) I found that the month of Ramadan was just too long for only 1 Khatm, and so I would read another one. My family would all tease me and call me speedy since none of them could keep up any longer. Why I read it- I never knew, I never even questioned. And even though I never understood the beautiful words that I was reading, there was something about it… I just loved reading it.

I never realized that the Qur’aan was a choice, a path in life that I could have taken. I guess, in that way, it wasn’t put out for me. Instead I went to school, finished high school and went to University. Like I said, I never really pondered over my love for the Qur’aan, nor my ability to learn, read and memorise it so easily.

My love for the Qur’aan only grew as time went on. When I was about 20 years old I suddenly had the urge to memorise the Qur’aan. Again, however, I never responded to that urge. Then, about 2 or 3 years later I reconnected with an old friend who happened to be a haafidh. One day he said to me- and Allah alone knows why, “why don’t you start learning the Qur’aan” He told me that I should learn, even if it was just 3 lines a day. It was stupid of me really, I had the urge to learn it but I never realized that I could just simply start learning it by myself. The suggestion he made clicked with something in my heart and I made a decision that I would begin to learn. That was the beginning. I haven’t turned back since.

I started with just three lines per day, as per his suggestion. But I soon found that it was in my capacity to learn more. So everyday I would learn about half a page. I loved memorising, I still do, and I began to thoroughly enjoy this little daily practice. Then the Qur’aan started changing my life.

First it was tahajjud. I found,much to my frustration, that some days just did not afford me the opportunity to learn my lines. I really wanted to learn, so I started waking up for tahajjud. After reading tahajjud I would learn my new lines and then I would just have to go over it during the day.

Then it was television. I always used to love watching TV but somehow, after beginning to memorise the Qur’aan, I slowly began stopping. I used to think, how I can share my mind- that’s filled with Qur’aan, with all the ugliness from television. Alhamdulillah- today I don’t watch TV anymore.

That wasn’t all; slowly the Qur’aan began changing everything about me; I became more modest, I became more aware of my speech and how I used my tongue; my thirst for knowledge only increased; and I soon started abandoning my novels for Islamic books that could provide me with knowledge.
    My road to becoming a haadfidha is far from finished; in fact it has only just begun. Not a single day goes by without me reading or listening to the beautiful Quraan, and I enjoy reading the Ma’ariful Quraan to help me better understand the aayats. The Qur’aan has become my companion in this world; providing me with comfort and advice when I need it most. I can honestly say that I, unequivocally, love the beautiful Qur’aan with all of my heart, and all of my soul; and while I know that there are many others who have taken much further strides in learning and loving this Qur’aan, I am grateful for the little knowledge that I have and for the small journey that I am undergoing.

Khadeeja Hassem; Johannesburg, South Africa.
    I am the sixth of eight children, I enjoy writing and reading and (as of late) blogging. I think that each of us has the capacity to make a different to each others lives and, for that reason, I am trying to make a difference- word by word. My ideal getaway would be to get lost on an isolated island with the Qur’aan, the Ma’ariful Qur’aan and my iPod- (filled with recitations from different imams). Then I’d have no excuse to procrastinate, and all the time in the world to learn Qur’aan!

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

The most significant event in human history
    A profound , paramount , divine artistry.
    The greatest influence on human race
    Blessed are those who got to see that radiant , illuminating face.
    That heavenly glow will always show.
    The only person with multiple capacities who carried out stupendous tasks amidst untold adversities.
    A blessing which descends from Madina
    The most exalted land in our creators arena.
    Prophet Muhammed (S.A.W) the most unique gift to human kind
    excellence , eminence and perfection
    You will never find.

Thousands of salaams upon that gaze of favour which the entire ummah
    Regards as our saviour

By: Shireen Seedat

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

To undertake the mission of memorizing the Quran is not a simple task, though it is a wonderful opportunity. I think that if one decides to memorize the Quran, they should be determined to do it, because such a task requires effort; making time for learning, studying, and reviewing of what they have learned even if they have packed schedules and are often very busy. This means that some activities might be given up for the devotion of the Quran, and a new goal is set.
    Why memorize the Quran anyway? What will we attain by taking on such a challenge? I think what inspired me was knowing that the Quran is important to me as a Muslim person who looks at it as a holy book, a guide, and a mercy with GOD’S words and who wants to carry out the orders from ALLAH within it. I want to be able to carry the Quran with me wherever I go. If we can learn all that we do in school and college, I think that we can definitely learn more about the Quran. This is where the meaning is important. I believe that the Quran is a very valuable resource, one that should be cared about, and taken seriously. If we know the Quran and its meaning, we will not only be able to refer to it at any time, but also teach other people about it, which I think would be great for Muslim societies because the Quran can provide so much enlightenment and bring people closer to the Creator. I think that we as Muslims should know what is in our holy book. When we have attained the knowledge of the Quran, we can teach other people about it. After memorizing the Quran insha-ALLAH, I hope to learn it’s language.
    Memorizing the Quran is not always easy. On some days, you feel frustrated because you just can’t seem to remember an Ayah. I think it’s important to remember that ALLAH has given us the strength and ability to memorize it, though we may not think so. Also, we can try to remember that what we are doing is important, and that we have chosen to do something that is really good for us, rather than other things that we might enjoy, so we should keep up the good work.
    Memorizing the Quran is not the only opportunity we have to become closer to GOD. We have been given so many chances to do good things. I think we should take advantage of these chances and try to be the best we can be. Guidance from the Quran and assistance from ALLAH can help you with that. By the end of the day, it is all about how much effort you have put in to be a good person, is it not? May ALLAH (S.W.T.) help us in our striving to become better. Ameen.

-Yasmeen Virji
    I am a thirteen year old Muslim girl who quite recently started to memorize the Holy Quran. I was born and raised in America. I like to write, and I really enjoy horseback riding.

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Bismillah

Striving to Inspire

“We had made the Quran easy for rememberance; is there any that will remember it?”

(Surah Al-Qamar)

My inspiration lies in this very verse! As I sit here reminiscing my journey of Hifdh I am filled with a sense of peace, happiness and contentment. Why, you may ask? Because, today, Alhamdulillah I can say that I have fulfilled and reached my goal of becoming a Hafidha.

I began my journey at the young and tender age of 7, a time when I was the first female in my locality doing Hifdh, and needless to say there were obstacles to overcome and challenges to face! Entering the world of Hifdh and Quran was like entering a new world, as no other venture in life can be so momentous and crucial, so blissful and rewarding, as my journey to and through the Quran. I remember having to sacrifice family holidays and outings, playtime and most importantly, sleep! I remember shedding tears of frustration at not being able to remember a certain verse or page, and screaming from the rooftops everytime I completed a new surah or juz. Fond memories indeed!

For me, Hifdh and Quran are companions that stood with me at my darkest hours and at moments that were life-altering. In Al-Quran I found my answers, my guidance and my escape when life was hard and cruel. On the flip side, it was recitation of the Quran that calmed the butterflies in my tummy on the day of my nikaah, it was the words of Al-Quran that I was reciting lying on the hospital bed, watching the heartbeat of my unborn, tiny foetus. It was in madrasa whilst reciting Quran that I felt my unborn baby move for the first time and the first time I experienced Braxton-Hicks contractions was, yep, you guessed it, in masrasah whilst giving dhor to apa!

Hifdh is a journey that will take you through endless joys and riches of the words that Allah has sent to the Ummah of our Beloved, Muhammad صلي الله عليه و سلم.

For me Hifdh and Quran has opened up a world of untold treasures of knowledge and wisdom to guide me on the pathways of life and to mould my thoughts and actions. The Quran is a Divine Book in which deep insights to enrich one’s soul and to steer one on the right course are found. From the Quran a person receives a radiant light to illumine the deepest crevices of the heart and soul. Here you will encounter profound emotions, a warmth to melt your heart and bring tears running down your cheeks.

The Quran is Allah’s greatest blessing on me. It is the fulfillment of Allah’s promise to Adam and his descendants:

‘There shall come to you guidance from Me, and whosoever follows My Guidance no fear shall come on them, neither shall they grieve’ (al Baqarah 2:38).

The Quran is the only weapon your frail existence requires as you struggle against the forces of evil and temptation in this world. It is the only means to overpower your fear and anxiety. It is the only ‘light’ (nur) , as you grope in the darkness, with which to find your way to success and salvation. It is the only healing (shifa) for your inner sickness, as well as the social ills that may surround you. Al-Quran is the constant reminder (dhikr) of your true nature and destiny, of your responsibities and your duties.

The greatness and importance of what the Quran holds for a person cannot be described and it is beyond man’s comprehension. It was sent down from Allah Almighty in the Heavens to the most trustworthy and honest being, Muhammed صلي الله عليه و سلم.

The Quran tells us of Allah and His Supreme qualities, of how He rules and how we should relate to Him, to ourselves and to our fellow brothers and sisters. The Quran issues warnings and glad tidings, narrates incidents and stories and relates to us examples of the people of the past so that we may take warning and heed.

The reward of learning Quran that await you in this world are many, increasing manifold in the Hereafter, as Abdullah bin Umar رضي الله عنه reports from the Noble Prophet Muhammed صلي الله عليه و سلم:

‘On the Day of Judgment it will be said to the hafidh of Quran: Read and ascend the storeys of Jannah and recite in the slow manner you had been reading in the worldly life; your final abode will be where you reach at the time of your last ayah’. [Tirmidhi]

Allah Himself describes Paradise, ‘That which the eye has not seen, nor the ear heard of, nor the heart of man ever conceived and no human being can imagine what joys are being kept hidden for them….’

[Narrated by Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه in Bukhari & Muslim]

As hafidhas we have to become ‘Walking Qurans’. We have to take the Quran and internalise its messages, make Al-Quran our living constitution. How do we do this? By reflecting over what the Quran is, and what it means to us, and bringing all our love, devotion and longing to act upon what this realisation demands. Secondly, we should recite the Quran as we were commanded to do so, as Muhammed صلي الله عليه و سلم and his noble companions did. Thirdly, we must bring each word of the Quran to bear upon our own realities and concerns by transcending the barriers of culture, time and change.

Travelling on the road of Hifdh constantly requires a hafidh or hafidha’s commitment to Allah. Reading the Quran is living the Quran, willingly, totally, sincerely and devotedly.

The outcome of life depends on how you heed Allah’s call. The journey is therefore decisive for your existance, for mankind and for the future of human civilization. A hundred new worlds lie in its verses, centuries are involved in its moments. Know then, my dear sister that it is Quran and only the Quran which can lead you on the path of success and glory in this world and the Hereafter.

“Oh Allah make us from amongst the people of the Quran- those who are Your family and special ones!’
    Ameen

A Hafidha of 3 years, I am an aalima, a Child Psychology student and mum to a beautiful 2 year old daughter who I pray will be an inspiration to others, Inshallah. I reside in Durban, and spend my days doing chores, teaching madrasah, bonding with my daughter and being inspired!

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

ALL IT TAKES IS A SPARK…

An empty feeling deep inside

A heavy heart and a troubled mind

These are the burdens I bear

The price of trading a diamond

For lustreless cut glass.

Now the shards lay scattered around me

Wearily I pick them up,

Bleeding over the sharp fragments…

Regret breathes some life into me,

And like a touch of fresh sweetened air

My dead heart heeds a faint call

It begins to stir,

Responding to the promise

Of a life of peace and contentment…

And in earnest it begs me,

Pleading, o self!

You ignored the gaze of your Beloved for too long

Yet He had not turned away in hurt

Rather it was you who ran in shame

Now He can no longer watch you self destruct…

His love for His servants never falters

Hear His Call! Heed his Words!

Free yourself from doubt,

From the false promises

Of this deceptive world

Turn to him in hope

For He has stayed in love.

Your regret is your penance

Your tears and deep sighs more punishment than necessary

Renew your Love,

Submit to Him!

Promise me that you will never abandon Him!

The distance to bridge is far

But He has promised to be the wind that will take you there…

So I gave in, listened to the voice I had ignored for too long

I set my sight on the heavens

Wrenched my thoughts from those dark recesses

Placed my trust into His capable Hands

And…I am reborn…

Mighty is my Saviour

Merciful is my Lord

Drunk on love is this sinner!

This is what inspired me to do hifdh; this new, floundering love affair with my Beloved Rabb…my heart had experienced a spiritual rebirth after years of death and darkness. I was once surrounded by darkness. Lost in it. It was an all encompassing blackness; a suffocating, weighty blackness that left me empty, restless and alone. I did my ritualistic worship that was expected of me, but it lacked sincerity, lacked love. It was a cold, hard and lustreless fulfilment of duty.

But as always, the hour is darkest before the dawn. A believer’s soul is a unique creation. It is never content with anything besides that which it was created for, i.e. loving Allah. When the soul feels dead and tarnished, it attempts to reconnect with Allah. It is like a magnet in its relationship with its Creator. My heart led me to realise, that in order to rekindle the flame of Allah’s love within my chest, I had to start with that which came directly from him, i.e. His beautiful words, the Qur’an. So began my journey on the sacred path of memorisation of the Blessed Book. My heart balked at the thought of ever having to return to the crippling darkness that had held it captive for so long. This fear provided the determination I needed to commit to the task before me.

And so,hifdh led me to discover the greatest treasure ,the sweet fountain of Allah’s Love. Alhamdulillah I have completed my hifdh amidst many moments of both tears and joy. But,the road to Allah is always under construction. Insha Allah this Quran will help light my way to that ultimate goal…becoming a true, sincere lover and worshipper of the Most Merciful.Ameen.

Written by: Mariam Vawda

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

WHAT INSPIRED/INSPIRES ME TO MEMORIZE THE QURAN?

This article is a personal journey to hifdh, my journey and I hope it inspires at least one sister out there who really wants to do hifdh but is holding back. To my teacher, Haafidha Rayhaana, May Allah bless you for the work that you do and the hearts you inspire!

My Journey began a few years ago, when a close friend of mine at university kept talking about the hifdh madrassah she attended. Everyday when we met, she would tell me about madressah, her teacher and her love for the Quran. On seeing my interest, she persuaded me to attend and I made it clear to her that although I admired her eagerness to do hifdh, and I really wanted to meet her amazing teacher, I didn’t ever think of becoming a haafidha. She said: “Well you don’t have to become a haafidha, but just come to see what our hifdh madressah is like and meet my teacher!” So I agreed. Looking back I thank Allah for this friend when I recall the hadith,
    “A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend.” (reported by Abu Dawood & Tirmidhee).

That afternoon, I went to madressah. It felt good, just like the days when I was young and went to madressah. Except now I was 20+, going to a hifdh madressah, with no intention of becoming a haafidha at all, but I was sincere and I felt my heart was searching for something more than just my studies at university.

I walked into madressah, the sound of Quran buzzing in the air, the girls so deeply engrossed in their Quran’s ,that no one looked up and noticed that I was there or that I was new.But I noticed everyone.From university students to girls as young as 8 , all were sincerely memorizing the Quran, subhanallah!

After a while, the teacher got up to welcome me. I opened my Quran, and realised how little of the Quran I memorized compared to the others. Fair enough ,I knew three quarter of the 30th Juz and all the big surahs like Surah Yaseen etc. But these girls were there to memorize the entire Quran! Admirable, but I still didn’t see why girls had to memorize the entire Quran. It was the norm for boys to become huffaadh , to become imaams, to perform taraweeh, and I thought if girls wanted to further their knowledge of deen, they did an aalimah course. Atleast that’s what I thought! And it was these little thoughts that held me back from such a great deed. The only haafidha I ever knew in my life to that point was Rabia Sayed.. and even her story didn’t truly inspire me to do hifdh.

But sitting there, that first day in madressah, something within me awakened. I felt a deep, peaceful feeling amongst the people of the Quran and when my teacher spoke, I was deeply moved by her respect and deep love for the Quran , she revered the Quran in a way that was truly inspiring, and in all my life I have never come across anyone that loved the Quran in that way.She lived by the hadith
    “The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur’aan and teaches it to others.” and “The people of the Qur’an are the people of Allah and His special servants.” (An-Nisa’i, Ibn Majah, and Al-Hakim with a Hasan chain)

It was in her company that the seed of memorizing the Quran was planted in my mind, in my heart in my soul.

But like everybody else who begins to have the beautiful intention of doing hifdh, they find some excuse, some reason why they shouldn’t do it. I came up with every excuse and I will tell you now, that there is no such thing as a weak memory, or no time or being old enough. By Allah, if you have the love in your heart and the deep desire, it will surpass the excuses you make up. I thank Allah that I could move beyond my excuses and that the desire to memorize the Quran for me became like a thirst that is unquenchable, a flame that is inextinguishable.

For me memorizing the Quran is an ongoing journey, and even if I die on that journey, I would die memorizing the Quran!

What truly keeps me inspired towards my goal is the following hadith of the prophet s.a.w “The one who was devoted to the Qur’an will be told on the Day of Resurrection: `Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite.”
    [Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi]. I am striving to ascend as many ranks as possible, the question is for you to decide how many ranks will you be ascending?

Lastly my dearest sister, Allah (SWT) says in the Quran “And in truth We have made the Qur’aan easy to remember; but is there any that remembers?” (54: 32) This is an open invitation from Allah, inviting you to memorize the Quran, are you going to accept it?

Preserve Allah and He will preserve you. What Allah has given you is His gift to you, what you do with it, is your gift back to Him. So make use of the gifts He has bestowed and use that to memorize the Quran.

Finally the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said “Whoever reads the Quran, memorizes it, and acts upon it, on the Day of Judgment he will be clad with a crown of light, its light like the sunlight and his parents will be clad with two garments better than the whole world and whatever it contains.” So they would amazingly ask: “What action did we do to deserve this?” They will be told: “Because your child memorized the Quran!” [Al-Haakim] Subhanallah!!

Muhsina is a student of life, a lover of the Quran, life coach, blogger, freelance writer, and pharmacy graduate who currently lives in Oman

(Link)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Qur’aan in my heart

I longed to have the Qur’aan in my heart for as long as I can remember. My love for the Qur’aan was engraved in my heart when I was blessed with the opportunity of going for Umrah in the month of Ramadaan thrice before I was three years old. I would always look forward to the Salaah times, especially Taraweeh, and enjoyed listening to the Qur’aan being recited by the Imams in their unique, melodious tunes. Alhamdulillah, this was my main inspiration to do hifdh.

My first two weeks of life were spent in hospital. According to my doctor, I should not have been able to walk, let alone read the Qur’aan. But Alhamdulillah with the duas of all who loved me, I had reached all my milestones. The doctors told my parents to continue doing what they were doing to help me recover. Reciting the healing words of the Qur’aan is what was granting me cure and protecting me. At the age of three I began learning to read the Qur’aan with an aunt and by the Will of Allah, within a year I was reading the Qur’aan. Although I started Madrassah when I was so young, learning was easy, as I was comfortable with my teacher and because unlike other children my age, I was not going to pre-school. My full attention was devoted to the Qur’aan.

Growing up as a child, the only thing that I listened to was the recitation of the Qur’aan. Alhamdulillah I was blessed that the majority of the time, I was in the environment of the Qur’aan. This encouraged me to memorise the Qur’aan. I commenced my journey of hifdh when I was four and a half years old. Today, at thirteen, I have memorised twenty-two Juz, Alhamdulillah. During my journey with hifdh, there are many times when I cannot learn my sabaq, no matter how hard I try. There were numerous times when I contemplated stopping my hifdh, but the thought of all the hard work and effort I put in to get this far stops me. The verse of the Qur’aan “We have made the Qur’aan easy to understand and remember, so is there anyone who will take lesson?” (Surah 54 Verse 17) is a great inspiration to me. When I read this verse, especially if I am experiencing difficulty in memorising, I know that Allah is asking this question directly to me. If HE is telling me that the Qur’aan is simple, how can I then say that it is difficult? I think of the happiness doing hifdh brings to me, my parents and family. I remember the excitement they shared with me when I came home with a few more lines to memorise for the next day. Or when I shared with them my joy of completing another Surah and then a Juz. I often listen to the recitation of a surah in the Qur’aan that I have not yet memorised, by one of my favourite reciters and yearn to have it in my heart.

My eyes fill with tears as memories fill my mind. I can still picture the first day I went to Madrassah and started my hifdh. I think to myself about the joy and enthusiasm I experienced that day. I remember with love and affection the many teachers that touched my life and the special friends that I have made in this beautiful spiritual journey. I realise how fortunate I am to be from among Allah’s chosen one’s to be able to memorise the Qur’aan. I long for the day when I can listen to recitation from the Qur’aan and be able to recall exactly where in the Qur’aan it is and be able to read along. That’s the day my heart will be filled, Insha’Allah!

May Allah preserve His words in my heart till the day of Qiyaamah and may He grant me the ability to recite for Him on the Day of Qiyaamah, such reading that will allow me to reach Jannatul Firdous, Ameen. May Allah bless all those that have shared and will share in my journey of hifdh, in whatever way, with the best of both worlds. I beseech Allah to inspire you to embark on your own journey to have the Qur’aan in YOUR heart, Insha’Allah, Ameen.

I am the eldest of four children and am currently in Grade 8 . I resumed formal madrasah this year after doing my hifdh with my father for a year and a half. I am now attending the Hifdh program at my school. My aspirations in life are to complete my hifdh, understand the Quraan, become a Doctor and a writer, InshaAllah. I hope and pray that InshaAlllah we can all be inspired by the Glorious Quraan. Please remember me in your special duas.
    Aaisha Mahmood Vawda

(Link)

Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1559 Post(s)

Wallahi, reading some of this has really bough tears to my eyes.....

Quite moving stuff
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

The last one was the winner.

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interview with a Productive Muslimah: Hafidha Iffath Hassan
    MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2010

ProductiveMuslimah.com and Rayhaana Omar were greatly inspired with Mrs.Iffath Hasan. She has not only memorized Quran, but also teaches the Quran to young girls, masha Allah! We requested her to answer some questions, hoping to inspire other sisters with your journey of hifdh, insha Allah.

1. Hafiza Iffath, Please tell us about yourself?

I am 55 years old, originally from Hyderabad, India. My parents arranged my marriage at 18 and I came to Canada with my husband, and few years later we moved to Chicago, US. I have two sons, both of them married and working in California. I teach at the Institute for Islamic Education (IIE) for girls in Elgin Illinois, a twenty minute drive from where I live.The subjects I teach are memorization of the Qur'aan and Arabic language.

2. When and how did you begin memorizing Qur'an?

I memorized the Qur'an at the age of 37. Generally with difficult situations in our lives we happen to connect with Almighty Allah, so this was one of those situations I was going through, and I really wanted Allah to answer my prayer, I used to wake up for Tahajjud and make my heartfelt duas, with the barakah of Tahajjud Allah granted me my wish, then I said to myself 'how can I stop making Tahajjud through which Allah granted me my wish', and Alhamdulillah I was able to continue my Tahajjud. After a couple of months I felt that night after night I was only reciting the same few long surahs that I knew, I felt I should memorize 3 to 4 juz for some variety in my tahajjud, and that is how it all got started. Allah Almighty says in His holy book; "It may be that you dislike something that is good for you, and it may be that you like something that is bad for you. God knows and you do not know" (2: 216). In my case the disliked situation became a source two of the greatest blessings---------tahajjud and hifdh.

3. Who inspired you during your memorization of Qur'an?

I have a friend who is a Hafidhah, I always used to admire her, but I had never thought of ever memorizing it myself. Then when I got started she was there to help me and give me ideas and tips on how to follow the process of memorization. Allah Almighty has promised His special help especially in the matters of deen. "As for those who struggle for Our sake, We will guide them in Our ways. For God is with those who do good" (29: 69).

4. How did you manage to be focused on your goal?

First and foremost I thank Allah Most High from the bottom of my heart for everything. Even though it seems like we did something or we are doing something it is only through Allah's grace that we are able to do the things that we do. Secondly the only way to achieve something is to have a goal and seek Allah's help and work towards achieving it until we get it. That seems to be the only reasonable approach to be focused. We need to have the firm belief that 'with Allah's help nothing is difficult, and without His help nothing is easy.'

5. How did you manage your time?

When we work towards a goal -- for believers the goal is seeking Allah's pleasure in every moment of our lives, when we are focused on achieving this goal, that is when everything falls into place, time management becomes easy, we are able to keep track of time, we will realize that there is no room for haraam (prohibited) and makruh (disliked) in our lives, there is only mubah (permissible) in our lives, through this we are also able to sort out important from unimportant, and that is the key to having the barakah (increase) in our time. We need to value our free time and make the most of it -- time is our life, when we waste time we waste our lives. Realization of the importance of time is very important -- we should always remember that this is one of the first things we will be asked about on the Day of Judgment.

6. How long did it take for you to complete memorization?

It took me one year to memorize the first ten juz, until then I had not thought of memorizing the whole Qur'an. At that point I said to myself 'Allah has made it so easy for me how can I stop now.' I was alhamdulillah able to continue with more enthusiasm and was able to complete the hifdh in two years.

7. What were the challenges that you faced during memorization?

I had to fulfill my responsibilities as a wife and a mother of two, and run the household smoothly. I had to make the most of my time when I was by myself. People do ask me about how many hours I used to spend during the day for memorization. During the morning hours I had a few hours to myself but even in between I used to make the most of what ever time I got. And the second challenge was 'my migraine headaches' which used to be quite frequent in those days, which again became another blessing for me, because I really valued my time and tried to make the most of it when I was not sick, because I knew once I get sick there is nothing I can do (i.e. I can't memorize). I am sure Allah gave barakah in my time.

8. What / who motivates you daily?

My motivation every single day comes to me through the realization of the great gift Allah has blessed me with. Every single day I weep, because I am out of words to express my gratitude for the best possible gift I am blessed with after Iman. With this realization it becomes easy to do my review every single day, because I know I can't afford to lose it. And besides that I love doing it, in fact I look forward to doing it everyday as soon as I possibly can.

9. Let's talk favorites- Please share with us: -your favorite verse of Qur'aan? -your favorite surah?-your best memory from the days of memorizing Qur'aan?

My favorite verses are many, and one of them is: 'Those who believe and whose hearts are satisfied by remembrance of God. Oh, it is by remembrance of God that hearts are satisfied!' (13: 28).

My favorite surah is surah al Ikhlas.

My best memories from the days of memorizing Qur'an are two, one is when after quietly doing it on my own without my husband knowing about it for a year, I told him after I had memorized ten juz, he was really happy for me, and second is in my second year I was able to persuade my son to start memorizing, he was in eleventh grade at that time, we were both doing it together, and mashaAllah later on when he was in college he was able to complete his hifdh as well. And also my parents I was able to make them soooo happy through this.

Part 2.

1. As a Qur'aan teacher, how do you feel the challenges of past and present students differ?

MashaAllah I have come across those students who are still very eager and anxious to memorize, there are definitely more temptations to do all sorts of things with the modern technology and waste their time, but this same technology when used for good is helping the students to achieve their goal with much ease. My students benefit a lot through listening to different Huffadh with their IPods, mp3 players etc.

2. What advise or learning resources would you offer/recommend to those currently memorizing Qur'aan?

My advise is first and foremost we turn to Allah for help, and do it for His pleasure with utmost Ikhlas, and then we need to commit ourselves just the way we commit for all the other things that we want to achieve in our lives and also make the most of all the resources that are available on an individual basis.

3. What advise would you present to those who have completed memorization of Qur'aan?

As we know this is a unique thing in itself, we need to make a life long commitment to review a portion of the Qur'aan regularly every single day----------that portion should be one seventh of the Quraan, I call it 'a seven day cycle', no matter where we are this shouldn't get disturbed, and besides that we should be able to recite a juz or so in our daily salats. These two things have really helped me and I do emphasize on these when I am asked for advice.

4. what are the different ways that can be used to motivate our sisters to memorize the Qur'an?

First we need to fall in love with our Creator.. This can be achieved through realizing all the blessings He has bestowed on us, the greatest of which is Imaan -- the key to Jannah. He didn't just create us, He also gave us a beautiful manual through which we are guided and we can lead a safe, secure, and peaceful life in this world of corruption and confusion. When Allah's love becomes intense, it will be expressed through our connection with His Book. We will never have enough of it. We will recite it with love and reverence for this best possible gift for mankind, then we will also learn to focus on understanding it, we will then live our lives in accordance with its teachings.

When we are constantly living with the Qur'an in our daily lives we have made a very strong connection with our Lord. We also know that this is the only book when we read one word of it there are ten hasanat for every letter, how is it then, that we will not want to recite it more and more, when this happens the next stage will follow -- we will have an urge to at least memorize some of it, that will inshaAllah lead us to memorizing all of it. We will do it because we want to and not because we have to. My advice to those who want to memorize but feel that they don't have the time, is to get started even if it is just two lines a day and be consistent with it. Allah will give them the barakah and they will be amazed on how much they are able to achieve just through being consistent with whatever little they are able to memorize. The key is doing with sincerity and consistency. Being on wudu (the believer's weapon against Satan) all the time is a tremendous blessing -- through this we have a special connection with Allah Most High, and we are not an easy target for Satan; and also we are able to reach out for the Qur'an whenever we have any free time -- this will inshaAllah speed up the process of memorization.

5. Please tell me more on your published work on 'Qur'anic language made easy'?

Alhamdulillah I was able to learn the Arabic language with the basic grammar to understand the Qur'an around the same time when I was memorizing the Qur'an. Later on I started teaching, I didn't have a text, I was teaching from the notes which I took from my teachers. Some of my students at the end of their course insisted that I should get my notes published so that others can also benefit from it. Alhamdulillah I hear MashaAllah more and more people are using it now. It is basically written for non Arabic speaking students. Those who want to learn the basic grammar on their own who are fluent with their recitation of the Qur'aan, this book inshaAllah will be a good start.

6. What makes one a Productive Muslimah? (traits/ character)

A productive muslimah is one who takes pride in being a muslimah, she is focused on preaching Islam through her own practice. She loves Allah, her focus in life is Allah's pleasure, and she loves to do things that bring her closer to her Creator and Sustainer. Her main concern is her success in the Akhirah (Hereafter), thus she makes the most of this world as a means to achieve that success.

Her Imaan is reflected through her outward which is complete submission to Sharia (Divine law). She lives a simple life taking care of her needs and not going after her wants. She has a heart free of love for this world, free of love of leadership, free of bad opinions about others, free of grudges, malice, rancor, greed, envy and all other evil traits. Her tongue is not engaged in haraam or vain talk, she thinks before she speaks, she controls her anger. She is a humble person, her goal is to be a better person every day of her life; she doesn't hesitate to admit when she is wrong and is quick in correcting her wrongs/faults when she sees them. She is neither stingy nor a spendthrift, but she loves to spend generously for those things which will bring her closer to her Creator.

Her heart is clean and pure, filled with love and reverence for her Creator; love, compassion, kindness, and forgiveness for the creation. She is full of gratitude for every single blessing, especially for the spiritual blessings, and she is always striving to progress spiritually. She has complete trust and reliance in Allah, when she goes through difficult/disliked situation she knows there is good in it for her -- both in this world and the next. She loves to be in the company of Saliheen (righteous slaves of Allah). She strives to keep her promises and commitments. She is soft spoken but firm in her words and works. She always strives to be a part of solution and not a part of problem. She shows beautiful patience during difficult times, for she realizes things could have been worse, and that these are tests from Allah Who can be called upon and He will answer the duas, and she also has the certainty that 'with every difficulty there is relief' (94: 6). She is a living proof of what a muslimah should be, and all this with the utmost sincerity to please her Almighty Lord.

7. Final words of advise to ProductiveMuslimah fans.

My advice to myself and to everyone is to rejoice in being a Muslim/Muslimah, that we be a true Muslim in deeds not just in words -- as we know the literal meaning of Muslim is 'one who submits to Allah's will and His commands.' We shouldn't take things for granted, We should take everything with gratitude, for Allah promises us increase for the things that we show gratitude for. We also need to reflect upon the meaning of gratitude which is to use Allah's blessings (which include our time, health, sight, hearing, speech, all the latest technology and all other countless blessings) only for the things He is pleased with. Our gratitude should be even more for the spiritual favors, the best way to show gratitude for them is to know that these are gifts from Allah Most High for which we have no words to express our thanks. We need to be focused on our goal which is our Akhirah, to achieve our goal we need to be in the company of those who have achieved this focus or are working for it -- as we know that the company one keeps has the greatest impact on a person's life.

Source

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Further notice
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3014 Post(s)

Bump

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Truly inspiring ,masha Allah
    [COLOR="#800080"]You are saying," I belong to Allaah as a servant and I am going to return to Him". So whoever knows that he belongs to Allaah as a servant and that he will return to Him, then he should know that he will be stopped. And whoever knows that he will be stopped, then he should know that he will be questioned. And whoever knows that he will be questioned, then let him prepare an answer for the question.[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1559 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenicca View Post
    Wallahi, reading some of this has really bough tears to my eyes.....

Quite moving stuff
    SubhaAllah... and again

for bump

Reading stuff like this makes me feel like a total waste of space.
    Last edited by Jenicca; 04-03-12 at 09:57 PM.
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

You shouldn't feel like that, everyone can memorise the Qur'an (if you aren't already). As one of the stories quoted, Allah says.. wa laqad yassarnal Qur'ana lidh-dhikri fa hal min muddakir?

for the amazing thread.
    Last edited by Hamnah; 05-03-12 at 01:44 PM. Reason: oops
    اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

الله مولانا ولا مولى لهم Abu Suleiman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^Walaqad yassarnal qurana lithikri fa hal min mudakkir

Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1559 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenicca View Post
    SubhaAllah... and again

for bump

Reading stuff like this makes me feel like a total waste of space.
    Every time I read this thread I end up in tears

Akhi tmr.....
    وَالْعَصْرِ

Khanqah Habibiyah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Duas please