Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

the r-word: Spread the word to end the word - everyone please read

http://www.r-word.org/

This is a website to eradicate the use of words like "retard" being used as an insult, because it is very insulting to people who have intellectual disabilities and their families to use it like that.

The mods have already been taking action against the use of these words like that, e.g. warnings, infractions, so users here should already know that it's not acceptable. And just recently the mods have been discussing using a harsher infraction for the r-word and similar than the regular name calling infraction.

We will continue to infract anyone who uses this word in that way, or other words that are insulting to people with disabilities.

Please support the above site by visiting it, and by stopping using words like this (if you use them), and by telling others not to use them.

Please note, this is not limited to vocabulary related to intellectual disability, it's related to any kind of disability, and also to mental health. E.g. saying to someone "you should be on medication" because you disagree with something they say, would come under this infraction. Anything used as an insult that relates to a disability, medical condition or mental health problem basically.
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 15-05-10 at 09:42 PM.

Stop eating my Chicken!!! LailaTheMuslim's Avatar

Re: the r-word: Spread the word to end the word - everyone please read

I think what you Mods are doing is good. Keep on enjoining good 'n' forbidding evil!
    WhenTheWorldPushesYouToYourKnees-
    You'reInThePerfectPositionToPray (Islam.07)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O people, beware of this shirk, for it is more subtle than the footsteps of an ant. The one whom Allaah willed should speak said to him, “How can we beware of it when it is more subtle than the footsteps of an ant, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Say, Allaahumma innaa na’oodhu bika min an nushrika bika shay’an na’lamuhu wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na’lam (O Allaah, we seek refuge with You from knowingly associating anything with You, and we seek Your forgiveness for that which we do unknowingly).” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/403)

“My intercession will be for those among my ummah who have committed major sins.” [Classed as Sahih by al-Albaani in Sahih Abi Dawood, 3965]

Quote Originally Posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
    I think what you Mods are doing is good. Keep on enjoining good 'n' forbidding evil!

thanks sis
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 15-05-10 at 09:53 PM.

craz'rthanacritternasack! Deen commited's Avatar

Subhanallah!
    “Man is the only critter who feels the need to label things as flowers or weeds.”

.dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

"...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."

Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:.

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Not the best Muslim

what about saying are you crazy? If this is being censored as well then you guys are going too far.

It's silly PC at the forum. No wonder why the quality of posts have dwindled over the years in the forum.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Orson Welles

It's not going too far, because using words that mean mentally handicapped, or relate to other medical problems as insults is offensive to people who have those problems and their families. If you want to call someone stupid, call them stupid, don't use a word that means "mentally handicapped" - have some respect for people with handicaps, the whole mentality of using their conditions to insult others is sick, and if you can't see how it is, then what can I say?
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 28-05-10 at 07:28 PM.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by dhakiyya View Post
    It's not going too far, because using words that mean mentally handicapped, or relate to other medical problems as insults is offensive to people who have those problems and their families. If you want to call someone stupid, call them stupid, don't use a word that means "mentally handicapped" - have some respect for people with handicaps, the whole mentality of using their conditions to insult others is sick, and if you can't see how it is, then what can I say?
    I kinda think you missed his point.

Quote Originally Posted by bro chat View Post
    I kinda think you missed his point.
    I kind of think YOU missed the point.

If you call someone a retard, who do you WANT to hurt? You want to hurt the one you said it to. Who do you ACTUALLY hurt? You actually hurt people who have mental handicaps and their families. That is the point.

Account Disabled

If you call someone a retard, who do you WANT to hurt? You want to hurt the one you said it to. Who do you ACTUALLY hurt? You actually hurt people who have mental handicaps and their families. That is the point.
    sorry, I wasn't referencing calling anyone names at all.

Account Disabled

May Allah reward you for realising this, i for one am eternally thankful.

Yes,I believe that what you are saying Sister is true.

I have a sister who suffers from cerebral palsy. The word "retarded" by itself doesn't carry the same connotations as "medically retarded" or "mentally retarded."

The word crazy is a good example. It could be used in a hyperbole, as in "you are crazy", or it could refer to someone's actual mental state of mind ("he is crazy"). Are you going to ensure that word is not used either? If not, why not?

If you really care about the mentally disabled community, do your part in helping volunteer in hospital/school activities rather than enforce a silly PC rule which benefits no one.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Orson Welles

Quote Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
    I have a sister who suffers from cerebral palsy. The word "retarded" by itself doesn't carry the same connotations as "medically retarded" or "mentally retarded."

The word crazy is a good example. It could be used in a hyperbole, as in "you are crazy", or it could refer to someone's actual mental state of mind ("he is crazy"). Are you going to ensure that word is not used either? If not, why not?

If you really care about the mentally disabled community, do your part in helping volunteer in hospital/school activities rather than enforce a silly PC rule which benefits no one.
    how do you know I don't do that kind of thing already?

The site I linked to in my first post on this thread comes mentally handicapped people and their families and the campaign to stop using this word as an insult is backed by them. It's not some silly rule - that word causes a huge amount of hurt.
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 07-06-10 at 06:52 PM.

Recipes for all the family
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Any insulting term which makes reference to a real physical condition can be deemed offensive, but where do you draw the line? I have a ginger cat. If I was to post a picture of him, would this be seen as an insult to people with red hair? It all depends on how a specific term is used. Surely we are all grown up enough to know when a slur is directed at an individual, or whether it is directed at a group of people. We can also tell from the context of the conversation whether the term was used in a malicious way. I appreciate the need to censor any remarks that would cause offence, but I know people who are mentally handicapped who actually use the 'r' word in conversation to describe people who are not mentally handicapped but have said something stupid.

If a mentally handicapped person were to post in this forum and used the 'r' word, would that result in infractions? What if they were describing their own condition? Does context come into play? If so, then is it one rule for some people, a different rule for everyone else?

18. 14-07-10, 02:48 AM

How will you feel when someone says you that? Think!
    JazakAllah for the share!

How will you feel if you have some physical problem? Think! God Made ALL and we have no right to insult His Creations
    JazakAllah for the share!

21. 29-07-10, 05:58 AM

great idea n site I am on for action to make world better
    ...you are going to really love islam, until you meet the muslims...
    Learn to hear Truth ...

Account Disabled

what if someone is behaving like a retard on the forum or better still like a spasm> for example making fake posts and threads etc....

can we call them retard then

Account Disabled

The day you bleep out the word paki I will stop calling people retard no matter how politically incorrect I am. Ok?

May Allah reward you for sending this kind of message. This word does hurt alot of people, it is surely offensive.. even i have used it sometimes but later on i realised how wrong and rude using that word has been. May Allah give us strength to keep our toungues clean and in the Zikr of Allah. Ameen

Account Disabled

Depends on the person using this term as to what it means to her/him and how it is being intended when used.

To me, this term means someone who has Learning disability from the mildest to the extreme which crosses into the term Mental Illness. This is how we interpreted it when I was in Social Services and serving as Mental Health Manager chairing appeal hearing by patients and their representatives.

Having said that, I will also add that this term is used by people living in the indo sub continent and africa. I have a "physically" disabled dependant. Everytime we visit Saudia we inevitably run into well meaning and intelligent sisters/brothers from those part of the world. They always talk "over the head" about my dependant enquiring about the well being of that "Retarded" person in the wheelchair. At first it caused great upset to us but we learnt to accept that attitude as stemming from pure ignorance and goodwill.

This term, when used on this forum does have different connotation, hence, my comment on how it is intended or understood.

Good post. What we need is dialogue and debate. Anyone can hide the weakness of their arguments by calling someone a retard etc. Its much harder to intellectually discuss an issue. And as Muslims we should have the correct morals and should not be using such language anyway.

29. 03-02-11, 05:41 AM

30. 24-02-11, 03:03 AM

31. 22-03-11, 08:02 AM

32. 05-08-11, 06:06 AM

Yoh. Hectic stuff

34. 08-09-11, 09:53 AM

35. 08-09-11, 09:54 AM

36. 22-09-11, 04:23 AM

37. 22-09-11, 04:25 AM

.dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

~bump~
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."

Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:.

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you