Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Salat according to hanafi fiqh

Brothers and sisters, I am always left confused when it comes to salat, and Im worried that the way in which I pray is incorrect or unacceptable.

At the moment, my understanding is the following.
    Fajr 2 sunnat then 2 fard
    Zuhr 4 sunnat then 4 fard then 2 sunnat then 2 nafl
    Juma 4 sunnat before khutbah then 2 fard in jamaat then 4 sunnat then 2 sunnat then 2 nafl
    Asr 4 sunnat then 4 fard
    Maghrib 3 fard then 2 sunnat then 2 nafl
    Isha 4 sunnat then 4 fard then 2 sunnat then 2 nafl then 3 witr then 2 nafl

Is the above correct as this is what I have been taught, and I am struggling to find confirmation anywhere. Also, if the above is correct, apart from the fard rakaats, are there any other that are obligatory?

jazakallah

Re: Salat according to hanafi fiqh

Yes, that's correct. In addition to the fard, you need to pray witr and all the sunnat you mentioned, except the sunnah before Asr and Isha, as they are optional.
    The Sahaba (radiAllahu anhum) used to cling to the Sunnah just because it was Sunnah
    Today we abandon the Sunnah, just because it's Sunnah.

Ok thanks for that. I read somewhere regarding the sunnat before fajr can be read after sunrise, is this correct? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get up for fajr salaat, as I am finding it hard.

Also, I read somewhere that you dont always have to read a surah after al-fatihah, when is this permissible?

And is it ok to say bismillahir rahmanir rahim, before reciting al-fatihah, the surah which follows it, attahiyat, durood sharif and the dua which follows it, as I have got into a habit of saying it before everything, just wondering if this is permissible?

Quote Originally Posted by cdti View Post
    Also, I read somewhere that you dont always have to read a surah after al-fatihah, when is this permissible?
    Its only last 2 rakah of 4 rakah Fard salah.
    And is it ok to say bismillahir rahmanir rahim, before reciting al-fatihah,the surah which follows it
    Its sunnah.
    attahiyat, durood sharif and the dua which follows it,
    Bismillah isnt requeired for reciting attahiyat,durrod and other dua. Only before reciting surah´s. And Allah knows the best.
    I read somewhere regarding the sunnat before fajr can be read after sunrise, is this correct?
    You first try pray before fard sala, if you werent able then u may pray it after sunrise
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get up for fajr salaat, as I am finding it hard.
    http://jamaluliman.blogspot.com/2009...-for-fajr.html

http://www.jannah.org/articles/fajr.html
    Last edited by junaid123; 13-02-10 at 04:05 PM.
    Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) is also reported to have said: “He who is very hasty and so bold as to pass verdicts is also bold in taking the path towards hell

Account Disabled

Why do Brailvi group within Hanifism always do Nafl prayers - I always thought Nafl are optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Goalshan602 View Post
    Why do Brailvi group within Hanifism always do Nafl prayers - I always thought Nafl are optional.
    shouldnt we all pray optional prayer? dont non barelvi pray nafl prayer? dont shafi,maliki,hanbalis pray nafal prayer?shouldnt we do good deeds always?
    Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) is also reported to have said: “He who is very hasty and so bold as to pass verdicts is also bold in taking the path towards hell

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by junaid123 View Post
    shouldnt we all pray optional prayer? dont non barelvi pray nafl prayer? dont shafi,maliki,hanbalis pray nafal prayer?shouldnt we do good deeds always?
    Nafl means additional/optional, why do they pray them like they are Fardh or Sunnah Muakkadah?

praying nafl prayers and sunnah are important because you are reviving the sunnah, which this generation (inc myself) feel we can leave. And also if there is defiency in our obligatory fardh prayers then our sunnah and nafl prayers will be used to 'fill' the defiency, if that makes sense. The more optional prayers we can do the better, inshallah.
    "Verily Allah does not look to your appearance or wealth, but he looks to your hearts and your deeds." [Sahih Muslim, Vol. 4, #6221]

Nafl means additional/optional, why do they pray them like they are Fardh or Sunnah Muakkadah?
    What do you mean by Like? the matter is we should do good things always as much we want.Prophet(sw) did targhib to us to pray as much we want or can.
    people like to pray, then he should also pray as much as he wants. Praying nafal 1000 rakah is way of some salaf regularly. And he will get reward for it.

If i like to work and get money for that, shouldnt i always do part time job? or just stop doing work after 8 hour is done ?

Account Disabled

or just stop doing work after 8 hour is done ?
    Well I stop working at work.

Well I stop working at work.
    But we dont stop praying , we want more and more as prophet(sw) , sahaba(rd) salaf used to pray a lot =)

Account Disabled

But we dont stop praying , we want more and more as prophet(sw) , sahaba(rd) salaf used to pray a lot =)
    But by making optional extra prayers compulsory in a way, you are diverting people away from the simple and straight path and as Salafiyya would say "Bida'a"

But by making optional extra prayers compulsory in a way, you are diverting people away from the simple and straight path and as Salafiyya would say "Bida'a"
    It is not compulsory therefore it is not a bid`ah. The actions of our pious predecessors are clear, praying the nafl prayer is a way to get closer to Allah Almighty and it helps close any gaps with your obligatory prayers, as it was previously mentioned.

A Muslim should be striving to please his or her Lord, and praying nafl salat is a great way to start.
    The spiritual warrior is he who breaks an idol;
    and the idol of each person is his Ego.

- Imam Abul Qasim al-Qushayri

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by al-ghazalli View Post
    It is not compulsory
    Then why are nafl or optional sunnah prayers specified for the prayers? If you were to ask a Brailvi how many rakahs to pray for eg. Isha he/she would say 17. Why is this the case? Why doesn't he/she say 9 plus 8 extra? It shows that the extra prayers have been made a compulsion.

Why doesn't he/she say 9 plus 8 extra? It shows that the extra prayers have been made a compulsion.
    Ask him yaaaar

Account Disabled

Ask him yaaaar
    Who asks who what?

Who asks who what?
    The person who dont pray more than 2 or 4 nafal.

Account Disabled

The person who dont pray more than 2 or 4 nafal.
    Still don't know what you're on about.