Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Account Disabled

Muslim views on figure skating, gymnastics, and the Olympics

Hello,

The Winter Olympics are coming soon!!! I'm so excited!!!

I am curious what Muslims think of sports where both men and women compete, such as figure skating and gymnastics?

Both require a LOT of skill, talent, and tons of practice!!! Neither are easy; most figure skater and gymnast athletes start at a very young age, around 4 or 5.

Russia, Romania, other countries that used to be part of the USSR, China, Japan, the USA, and other countries have many athletes that strive for the honor of competing with the best of the other nations.

Why don't Muslim countries compete? I understand that iceskating is not conducive to the weather in hot countries, but ice skating rinks are made for indoor use as well... one doesn't have to skate on a frozen lake...

Is it because the outfits that the athletes wear are considered immodest, or the music, or what exactly?

Are athletic skills encouraged for women? Are there any sports that Muslim women or women in Middle Eastern countries can do, and do well? Or are Muslim women not encouraged to be athletic or do things that most women can't do? (the flips and twirls and spins and jumps...)

I am curious because I have wondered before why Muslim countries are not represented in the sports of ice skating or gymnastics in the Olympics.

Do Muslim women play sports, at a competitive level? If so, which ones? Thanks.

Peace and God bless you.

SweetTooth
    Guests

Re: Muslim views on figure skating, gymnastics, and the Olympics

I skated a few times but I sucked at it. I'm sure it's the outfits that are keeping women from participating in the sports. Everything is so tight and you also get judged on how you look (in figure skating).

I can't wait for the winter Olympics. If Canada doesn't win in hockey I'm going to be so mad. I just might go to Vancouver to check out the games.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth View Post
    I skated a few times but I sucked at it. I'm sure it's the outfits that are keeping women from participating in the sports. Everything is so tight and you also get judged on how you look (in figure skating).

I can't wait for the winter Olympics. If Canada doesn't win in hockey I'm going to be so mad. I just might go to Vancouver to check out the games.
    Hello SweetTooth,

I love iceskating, but nope can't do the fancy stuff! I'm not a fan of getting hurt though and from what I've noticed, it takes a lot of falls before one gets good at all the amazing things they do.

That's true... I was wondering if modesty was the issue. Wouldn't it be cool though if Muslim women could have an ice skating rink where they could learn to ice skate and have fun without any men seeing them?

Lol about hockey! Hockey is fierce!!! And yeah so is Canada.

Peace and God bless

SweetTooth
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by Christianlady View Post
    Hello SweetTooth,

I love iceskating, but nope can't do the fancy stuff! I'm not a fan of getting hurt though and from what I've noticed, it takes a lot of falls before one gets good at all the amazing things they do.

That's true... I was wondering if modesty was the issue. Wouldn't it be cool though if Muslim women could have an ice skating rink where they could learn to ice skate and have fun without any men seeing them?

Lol about hockey! Hockey is fierce!!! And yeah so is Canada.

Peace and God bless
    I'm sure it's the modesty issue. It would be kind of weird to see a woman skating around in a hijab and an jilbab. There's a skating rink by my house that offers women's only hours. It's pretty cool but I've fallen sooo many times I don't think I'll ever be good at it. I'll just stick to rollerblading .

loooool I love that you used the word fierce. My goodness woman you are too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Christianlady View Post

Are athletic skills encouraged for women? Are there any sports that Muslim women or women in Middle Eastern countries can do, and do well? Or are Muslim women not encouraged to be athletic or do things that most women can't do? (the flips and twirls and spins and jumps...)

I am curious because I have wondered before why Muslim countries are not represented in the sports of ice skating or gymnastics in the Olympics.

Do Muslim women play sports, at a competitive level? If so, which ones? Thanks..
    Yeah athletics is encouraged in order to keep fit......but as Muslim women it would be difficult, if not impossible, to fulfill the obligations of 'hijab' and still play professionally. To do those kind of sports, like you mentioned, would require very tight clothing.

As for 'if' and 'how' we do sports....I play tennis and attend swimming since there are women only sessions in London. I used to play tennis and badminton and attend swimming in a competitive level before I started wearing my scarf..and was in a team and so forth and got certificates Alhamdulillah.....but nowadays I just do it for fun and I admit, I'm not 'as' sporty as I was back in the days. I still can be...but it's also about time management.
    Last edited by Kubs; 30-01-10 at 09:01 PM.
    Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Islam does not object to sport, it objects to immorality.
    Non-Muslims do not say on the Day of Ressurection we did not convey to you the Message http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2506/...629e576ac2.jpg

http://www.islamictube.net