Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

The famous speech of Tariq ibn-Ziyad

In the midst of Visigothic civil war, the heirs of the King Witiza requested Muslim intervention into Spain. A former slave turned vizier of North Africa was sent to the country. On April 30th of that year he landed at a point close to the huge rock which dominates the entrance to the Mediterranean. He led an army of 7,000 men and was unreservedly outnumbered by the enemy. There was an aura of fear and skepticism amongst the Muslim flanks; upon knowing which, the General ordered his loyal men to burn all the ships that had carried them here and thus were only source of a safe journey back home.

That man, that fearless leader was called Tariq Ibn-Ziyad.

Once all the ships were burnt, he addressed his soldiers and said;

“Brothers in Islam! We now have the enemy in front of us and the deep sea behind us. We cannot return to our homes, because we have burnt our boats. We shall now either defeat the enemy and win or die a coward’s death by drowning in the sea. Who will follow me?”

Afterwards, the Muslim army emerged victorious and conquered Spain. The place where he landed was named Jabal Al-Tariq by the Muslims, later twisted to Gibraltar. That little name is a reminder of our glorious past and heroic man who rose to the heights of courage on wings of their faith and self-belief.

Al Maggari: Tarik's Address to His Soldiers, 711 CE, from The Breath of Perfumes
    "(...)O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it.’”
    (Hadith Qudsi, at Tirmidhi)

.dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

Re: The famous speech of Tariq ibn-Ziyad

May Allah reward him. Ameen.
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."

Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:.

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Is it true that Musa Ibn Nusair improsined Tarik bin Ziyad after his return from victory ?

Account Disabled

Medieval history ahh wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by al faqeer View Post
    Is it true that Musa Ibn Nusair improsined Tarik bin Ziyad after his return from victory ?
    Yes I have read this too but I didn't really understand why

I have read that Ibn Nusair was mad because Tariq Ibn Ziyad didn't follow his orders. Although he succeeded ibn Nusair imprisoned him. But don't know if this is true...

I think it is fact that it was not the order of the caliph Ibn Nusair that Tariq should start the attack but Tariq would have had a dream in which the Prophet Muhammad(saw) and his companions(ra) ordered him to begin the attack.But like I said I don't know how true this all is. Different sources claim different versions of the story
    Last edited by YasinAlKurdi; 17-01-10 at 08:37 AM.
    "(...)O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it.’”

It is said whilst sailing across the sea, which separates Africa from Andalus, he saw in his dream the prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) surrounded by arabs of the Muhajiruun and Ansaars, who with unsheathed swords and bended bows stood by him. They also heard the prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) say ” take courage, O Tariq! and accomplish what you are destined to perform. ” On hearing this, he looked around him and saw the messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and his companions entering Andalus. Tariq immediately awoke from his sleep with a smile, and from that moment on he never doubted victory.

http://www.haqislam.org/tariq-bin-ziyad/

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    May Allah reward him. Ameen.
    Ameen!

Quote Originally Posted by YasinAlKurdi View Post
    the General ordered his loyal men to burn all the ships that had carried them here and thus were only source of a safe journey back home.

That man, that fearless leader was called Tariq Ibn-Ziyad.

Once all the ships were burnt, he addressed his soldiers...
    Eight-hundred years later, Hernán Cortés copied this tactic while invading Mexico for the Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by YasinAlKurdi View Post
    Yes I have read this too but I didn't really understand why

I have read that Ibn Nusair was mad because Tariq Ibn Ziyad didn't follow his orders. Although he succeeded ibn Nusair imprisoned him. But don't know if this is true...

I think it is fact that it was not the order of the caliph Ibn Nusair that Tariq should start the attack but Tariq would have had a dream in which the Prophet Muhammad(saw) and his companions(ra) ordered him to begin the attack.But like I said I don't know how true this all is. Different sources claim different versions of the story
    I heard that on the radio once , and it said that muusa bin nusair felt insecure and though Ibn Ziyad will take his post .

Aallahu a3lam .

From what i have been taught, Tariq did cross Gibraltar without Nusair's permission. Then when Tariq came back from Spain with loads of gold and wealth, Ibn Nusair got jealous/insecure.
    But they have both been summoned by the Al-Walid ben Abd al-Malik in Damascus to make a report of the war. Ironically, the Caliph accused both of them of embezzlement.
    They stayed at the court of Damas but we don't what happened to Tariq in his last three years of life.
    My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
    Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

On April 30, 711, the armies of Tariq arrived at Gibraltar (جبل الطارق) (the title Gibraltar is derived from the Persian title Jabal 's Tariq (جبل الطارق) which means the huge mountain of Tariq, or even a lot more obvious Gibr Tariq, significance stone connected with Tariq).

Tariq ibn Ziyad, the Muslim general who first crossed into Spain/Andalus after whom the place is named (“Gibraltar”=Jabal Tariq) on the currency of the U.K. territory of Gibraltar in the Iberian Peninsula.

image.jpg
    Live in such a way that if someone spoke badly of you, no one would believe it.
    'More beloved to me than 23 years of lecturing' Sheikh Ahmed Ali
    Islamic etiquette for social media
    http://youtu.be/VVa7av9eKkY

Odan

Imagine a person doing that today. ie landing on British soil and burning the ships so there is no ''runaway strategy''

They would be labelled suicide bombers by all and sundry