Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Adam's (AS) Height

Salaam.

I know this has probably been brought up before, but I just came across these hadiths and what they say troubles me.

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Allah created Adam, making him 60 cubits tall. When He created him, He said to him, "Go and greet that group of angels, and listen to their reply, for it will be your greeting (salutation) and the greeting (salutations of your offspring." So, Adam said (to the angels), As-Salamu Alaikum (i.e. Peace be upon you). The angels said, "As-salamu Alaika wa Rahmatu-l-lahi" (i.e. Peace and Allah's Mercy be upon you). Thus the angels added to Adam's salutation the expression, 'Wa Rahmatu-l-lahi,' Any person who will enter Paradise will resemble Adam (in appearance and figure). People have been decreasing in stature since Adam's creation. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 55, Number 543)"

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: "Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, created Adam in His own image with His length of sixty cubits, and as He created him He told him to greet that group, and that was a party of angels sitting there, and listen to the response that they give him, for it would form his greeting and that of his offspring. He then went away and said: Peace be upon you! They (the angels) said: May there be peace upon you and the Mercy of Allah, and they made an addition of" Mercy of Allah". So he who would get into Paradise would get in the form of Adam, his length being sixty cubits, then the people who followed him continued to diminish in size up to this day. (Translation of Sahih Muslim, Book 040, Number 6809)"
    60 cubits is the same as about 90ft or 30 metres - the average human nowadays is about 1.70 metres. Scientifically, this height is impossible. I have heard that the hadith is referring to Adam's (AS) height while he was in Paradise, and he got shorter when he came to Earth. But then where does the whole 'decreasing in height' come into play?

How could Adam (AS) have survived when everything that is needed to survive was below him? E.g. food, water, resting places, etc...

I have seen many pictures of those giant human skeletons. Most have been proven to be Photoshopped, and even if they weren't, those giant skeletons are about 10ft tall - far less that the height Adam (AS) was said to be. Is it possible that the Prophet (SAW) was exaggerating?

Could someone please explain this whole height thing clearly and with proof? I believe everything else that Allah (SWT) and the Prophet (SAW) say and a Muslim has to believe in the Unseen (al-ghayb), but this is really hard for me to believe as it goes against basic science and common sense. Please someone help out with this.

Thank you.

Re: Adam's (AS) Height

Firstly the Prophet (saw) does not exaggerate anything because he is not speaking from himself.

Secondly, if Allah can create beasts such as these:
    http://www.theafricatravelblog.com/w...vg-600x364.png

http://www.wallsofthewild.com/dinogroup.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/503682.stm

IF Allah can create such giant beasts we call 'dinosaurs' and then feed them, sustain them and cause them to become extinct, and if Allah (swt) can do all that then can Allah (swt) not create a bigger or smaller version of us?

http://www.oneinchpunch.net/wordpres...allest-man.jpg

http://www.fadedtribune.com/wp-conte...-the-world.jpg

A pet Cat you keep in your house and a Lion have common ancestry according to science, imagine if the Cat turned around and said 'i cant believe there was ever such a thing as a Lion, its impossible!'

MALE

Muslim narrates, on the authority of Ibn `Umar (ra) in a marfoo' form: "Allah will fold up the heavens on the Day of Resurrection and then He will take them in His right Hand and say: "I am the King, where are the tyrants? Where are the arrogant ones?" Then He will fold up the seven earth and take them in His left Hand and say: "I am the King, where are the tyrants? where are the arrogant ones?"

Ibn `Umar (ra) informs us that he heard from the Prophet that on the Day of Judgement, Allah , Most Glorified, Most High, will fold up the seven heavens and take them in His right Hand and He will fold up the seven earth and take them in His left Hand and as He folds each of them, He will call forth the tyrants and the arrogant people, making them realise their insignificance by His Words: "I am the King." - i.e. He is the true Owner of all things; He is Perfect in every respect and there is no weakness or defect in Him and that all those who claim kingship or sovereignty are in fact weak and feeble, powerless in His Grasp. He will not be asked about what He does, but they will be asked.

Benefits Derived From This Hadith

1. Confirmation of Allah's possessing two Hands, right and left.

2. Confirmation of Allah's Divine Attribute of Speech in a manner befitting His Majesty.

3. Confirmation of Allah's Name: Al-Malik (the King), from which is inferred His Ownership of all things.

4. Evidence that there are seven earths.

5. The forbiddance of tyranny and arrogance.

6. Evidence of Allah's Perfection and infallibility.

On the authority of Ibn Mas'ood (ra) it is reported that he said: "Between the lowest heaven and the next is the distance of five hundred years and between each of the seven heavens is the distance of five hundred years and the distance between the seventh heaven and the Kursi is also five hundred years and between the Kursi and the water is also five hundred years and the `Arsh is above the water and Allah is above the `Arsh and nothing is hidden from Allah of your deeds."

Benefits Derived From These Two Hadith

1. That there is a distance between each of the heavens and between the seventh heaven and the Kursi and between the Kursi and the water and between the water and the `Arsh, each equivalent to five hundred years' travel.

2. Confirmation of the existence of the Kursi, the water and the `Arsh, which is above them.

3. Confirmation of Allah's Divine Attribute of being above His creation.

4. Evidence that Allah's Knowledge encompasses all things.

5. Evidence of Allah's Might and Majesty.

Study Tawheed Inshallah ANd know how Truly magnificent Your Lord is

Post Re: Adam's (AS) Height

Quote Originally Posted by Shamshir-Amir View Post
    Salaam.
    Scientifically, this height is impossible.
    وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

So is the splitting of the moon and so many other things, but nonetheless, they happened!

I'm sure you can agree with me that science is always behind. Some of which wasn't understood as being "possible" fifty years ago is now common knowledge.

Some things, science may catch up to in order to understand them, but others (most things) we will never discover.

Check out this partial tafsir for ayah 85 of surat Bani Israil:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    [وَيَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الرُّوحِ ۖ قُلِ الرُّوحُ مِنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّي وَمَا أُوتِيتُم مِّنَ الْعِلْمِ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا]

(And they ask you concerning the Ruh...) They said, `You claim that we have only a little knowledge, but we have been given the Tawrah, which is the Hikmah,

[وَمَن يُؤْتَ الْحِكْمَةَ فَقَدْ أُوتِىَ خَيْرًا كَثِيرًا]

(and he, to whom Hikmah is granted, is indeed granted abundant good.)' [2:269] Then the Ayah

[وَلَوْ أَنَّمَا فِى الاٌّرْضِ مِن شَجَرَةٍ أَقْلاَمٌ وَالْبَحْرُ يَمُدُّهُ مِن بَعْدِهِ سَبْعَةُ أَبْحُرٍ]

(And if all the trees on the earth were pens and the sea (were ink wherewith to write), with seven seas behind it to add to its (supply),) [31:27] was revealed. He said, "Whatever knowledge you have been given, if Allah saves you from the Fire thereby, then it is great and good, but in comparison to the knowledge of Allah, it is very little.''

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=17&tid=29571
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) increase you and us in beneficial 'ilm and guide us to act upon and implement it!

Ameen!

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Salaam.

I know this has probably been brought up before, but I just came across these hadiths and what they say troubles me.

60 cubits is the same as about 90ft or 30 metres - the average human nowadays is about 1.70 metres. Scientifically, this height is impossible. I have heard that the hadith is referring to Adam's (AS) height while he was in Paradise, and he got shorter when he came to Earth. But then where does the whole 'decreasing in height' come into play?

How could Adam (AS) have survived when everything that is needed to survive was below him? E.g. food, water, resting places, etc...

I have seen many pictures of those giant human skeletons. Most have been proven to be Photoshopped, and even if they weren't, those giant skeletons are about 10ft tall - far less that the height Adam (AS) was said to be. Is it possible that the Prophet (SAW) was exaggerating?

Could someone please explain this whole height thing clearly and with proof? I believe everything else that Allah (SWT) and the Prophet (SAW) say and a Muslim has to believe in the Unseen (al-ghayb), but this is really hard for me to believe as it goes against basic science and common sense. Please someone help out with this.

Thank you.
    ESTUGHFERALLAH ALATHEEM.

How can you say "Is the Prophet (SAW) exaggerating!?" Are you mad?

There were, at a time on this earth, people of great size. And where is your science and common sense that says it is impossible?

Account Disabled

Salaam.

Thank you.
    Respected brother a lot of things go against science but that is because science is manmade and weak and religion made by the supreme lord Allah who made this religion islam. If allah and his messenger state something then know that is not a lie because Allah does not lie and his messenger does not lie. the hadeeth is in muslim and is sahih. It also know that the people thamud (surat shams) where huge and this is clear from Petra in jordan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mada%27in_Saleh where they are thought to have lived also near madinah mada' salaeh which is amazing but it's scary subahanalah to think that people that large were destroyed

Account Disabled

Salaam.

Thank you.
    The Qur'an is the word of Allah (swt) not Mohammad (saw). Reflect on that and you will find your answer Inshallah

why don't you just believe it. Why would Prophet Muhammad(saw) say something if it was not true?? Another example is that in the Quran is mentioned that Nuh(a.s.) lived for 950 years.

And We certainly sent Noah to his people, and he remained among them a thousand years minus fifty years, and the flood seized them while they were wrongdoers.

(Quran al-Kareem, 29:14)
    Last edited by YasinAlKurdi; 27-12-09 at 06:22 PM.

Icon14 Re: Adam's (AS) Height

Quote Originally Posted by obl View Post
    وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

ما شاء الله بارك الله فيك وجزاك الله خيرا

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Quote Originally Posted by OBL View Post
    Salaam, and Thank you. That makes much more sense to me now - Alhamdulillah my mind is at ease now. But just three more things.

1. If it is clear to someone who speaks Arabic that Muhammad (SAW) was talking about Adam's (AS) height while he was in Paradise, then why is there so much confusion among the Muslims regarding this Hadith? There is so much confusion that some people even reject it, despite it being classified as Sahih. Even on this thread, some agree that Adam (AS) really was this height while on Earth. When the explanation given in the 'Hadith of Adam (AS)' thread makes much more sense.

2. Since Adam's (AS) height was reduced, where do these massive bones and footprints come from? I know the Bible speaks of giant people being created by God - and since the Torah/Bible is also from Allah (SWT) I guess it can be trusted to say Allah (SWT) also created a race of giant people like it is said in the Torah even though it is not mentioned in the Qur'an?

3. Finally, what do the Brothers and Sisters here think of this interpretation of this Hadith?:

Scientific explanation for Adam's (AS) height

It presents a more scientific explanation for the Hadith. And both can't be right at the same time. SO, was Adam (AS) very big in Paradise then he was made smaller by Allah (SWT) when he came to Earth... OR, is there a scientific explanation for his height and the decreasing height of humans?

What do you guys think?

The Ad nation were tall and strong

By the dawn;
    By the ten nights (i.e. the first ten days of the month of Dhul-Hījjah) ,
    And by the even and the odd (of all the creations of Allāh)
    And by the night when it departs
    There is indeed in them (the above oaths) sufficient proofs for men of understanding (and that, they should avoid all kinds of sins and disbeliefs)!
    Saw you (O Muhammad (SAW)) not how your Lord dealt with 'Ad (people)
    Of Iram (Who were very tall) like (lofty) pillars,
    The like of which were not created in the land?
    And (with) Thamūd (people), who hewed out rocks in the valley (to make dwellings)?
    Surah Al-Fajr verses 1-9

Troll Hunter Supreme Saif-Uddin's Avatar

Why is this even an issue?

Which Muslim believes that Allah Ta'ala cannot create Man in whatever Height he pleases?

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 8, Hadith no. 627]

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

https://www.justgiving.com/FoodTruckForSyria/

Quote Originally Posted by razieltemp View Post
    why is this even an issue?

Which muslim believes that allah ta'ala cannot create man in whatever height he pleases?

exactly.

Allahu akbar.

Enough said.

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by RazielTemp View Post
    Why is this even an issue?

Which Muslim believes that Allah Ta'ala cannot create Man in whatever Height he pleases?

The ones with an inferiority complex. They blush when the arrogant kuffar laugh at their "backwardness" and "gullibility" and have to set out to prove their intellect to the kuffar by asking questions that will not benefit their hereafter at all. They will latch onto any explanation that will mean they cannot be accused of believing "fairytales" even if against the majority Islamic opinion.

E.g some Muslims like to think that jinns referred to in hadith etc. are germs and microbes, which the people didn't know about back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wave&Smile View Post
    The ones with an inferiority complex. They blush when the arrogant kuffar laugh at their "backwardness" and "gullibility" and have to set out to prove their intellect to the kuffar by asking questions that will not benefit their hereafter at all. They will latch onto any explanation that will mean they cannot be accused of believing "fairytales" even if against the majority Islamic opinion.

E.g some Muslims like to think that jinns referred to in hadith etc. are germs and microbes, which the people didn't know about back then.
    I know what you are saying but let us be more charitable, because different people have different tests.

Also Science never contradicts Islam, only our (human) understanding of Science.

This is because Science is in essence the laws which Allah (swt) has set in place that govern our Universe.

What we consider 'Miracles' such as the splitting of the sea, humans living for 1000 years, tall humans, even Isra wa Miraj (The Awesome Tour of the Universe and the Heavens and the Earth which Allah granted to the final Messenger - pbuh) and the 'vehicle' of travel Buraq, the miraculous birth and the ascent of Isa ibn Maryam, as well as the curing of the blind can all be explained by Science one day - but not yet**

** Having said that some can be explained today such as the splitting of the sea i remember watching a documentary on it

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: "Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, created Adam in His own image with His length of sixty cubits, and as He created him He told him to greet that group, and that was a party of angels sitting there, and listen to the response that they give him, for it would form his greeting and that of his offspring. He then went away and said: Peace be upon you! They (the angels) said: May there be peace upon you and the Mercy of Allah, and they made an addition of" Mercy of Allah". So he who would get into Paradise would get in the form of Adam, his length being sixty cubits, then the people who followed him continued to diminish in size up to this day. (Translation of Sahih Muslim, Book 040, Number 6809)"

Could someone explain this to me please as I am under the impression that this is a modern-day Christianity belief.
    Please Re-update your Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Wave&Smile View Post

The Inferiority complex of some Muslims is quite disgraceful,

for your post ...

"O followers of Muhammad! By Allah, if you knew what I know, you would weep much and laugh little."

May Allah ta'ala join our beloved akhi Uncle-Umar (may Allah ta'ala have mercy upon him) with the Shuhada and grant him the Highest station in Jannatul Firdaus

Ameen

Quote Originally Posted by lastsultan View Post
    I know what you are saying but let us be more charitable, because different people have different tests.

Also Science never contradicts Islam, only our (human) understanding of Science.

This is because Science is in essence the laws which Allah (swt) has set in place that govern our Universe.

What we consider 'Miracles' such as the splitting of the sea, humans living for 1000 years, tall humans, even Isra wa Miraj (The Awesome Tour of the Universe and the Heavens and the Earth which Allah granted to the final Messenger - pbuh) and the 'vehicle' of travel Buraq, the miraculous birth and the ascent of Isa ibn Maryam, as well as the curing of the blind can all be explained by Science one day - but not yet**

** Having said that some can be explained today such as the splitting of the sea i remember watching a documentary on it
    we don't divide Islam and give it charitably in portions to whom we please.

We are commanded to enter into Islam wholeheartedly,

Ameen

jst want to say sunni_muslim has some threads sj=he want u to answer

i am sunni_muslim

Quote Originally Posted by sunni_muslim View Post
    jst want to say sunni_muslim has some threads sj=he want u to answer

i am sunni_muslim
    PLease direct the thread to me, and I will try to answer to the best of my ability,

regards.

Ameen

we don't divide Islam and give it charitably in portions to whom we please.

We are commanded to enter into Islam wholeheartedly,

What you fail to understand is that we're not looking for a way to prove Islam to ourselves or anything like that. As far as I'm concerned, I 110% believe in Islam. This is just my way of increasing my iman to 120%... please, please, please tell me when increasing his iman became a disgraceful thing for a Muslim to do.

Not only that, next time a kuffar mentions this Hadith, we can explain it to them and in turn, bring them closer to accepting Islam - I think it's called Dawah. So please, don't talk like you're a better person than the rest of us for not asking questions. We are not questioning Islam's authenticity by asking questions like these, we are simply striving to learn and understand it better. A commendable thing to do as the Qur'an and the Prophet (SAW) said.

Anyways, I think ridwaanakhmed's question should be answered as he raises a good one. I personally don't think the Hadith means in the literal sense, like the Christians believe Allah looks the same as humans. This is of course a Haram belief since Allah CANNOT be compared to any of his creation.

As-Salamu Alaykum.

The Abyss Stares Back

Quote Originally Posted by AhadAhad View Post
    ESTUGHFERALLAH ALATHEEM.

How can you say "Is the Prophet (SAW) exaggerating!?" Are you mad?

There were, at a time on this earth, people of great size. And where is your science and common sense that says it is impossible?
    There exists no known evidence of 90' humanoids.

What you fail to understand is that we're not looking for a way to prove Islam to ourselves or anything like that. As far as I'm concerned, I 110% believe in Islam. This is just my way of increasing my iman to 120%... please, please, please tell me when increasing his iman became a disgraceful thing for a Muslim to do.

Not only that, next time a kuffar mentions this Hadith, we can explain it to them and in turn, bring them closer to accepting Islam - I think it's called Dawah. So please, don't talk like you're a better person than the rest of us for not asking questions. We are not questioning Islam's authenticity by asking questions like these, we are simply striving to learn and understand it better. A commendable thing to do as the Qur'an and the Prophet (SAW) said.

Anyways, I think ridwaanakhmed's question should be answered as he raises a good one. I personally don't think the Hadith means in the literal sense, like the Christians believe Allah looks the same as humans. This is of course a Haram belief since Allah CANNOT be compared to any of his creation.

As-Salamu Alaykum.
    er... I'm confused, what are you on about?

Why the false allegations?

Show me where I questioned an Ayah/Hadith of Rasul

I suggest you read the previous posts before making false allegations ...

I have no doubt concerning that which Allah and his messenger stated, but you on the other hand question how Allah Ta'ala can do this, that ...

Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 29-12-09 at 06:54 PM.

Ameen

Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post
    There exists no known evidence of 90' humanoids.
    There exists no known evidence of many other things, it still doesn't disprove anything.

regards.

Ameen

The Abyss Stares Back

There exists no known evidence of many other things, it still doesn't disprove anything.

regards.
    Absolutely. But we are not discussing remote possibilities. We are discussing an assertion of historical fact, right?

er... I'm confused, what are you on about?

Why the false allegations?

Show me where I questioned an Ayah/Hadith of Rasul

I suggest you read the previous posts before making false allegations ...

I have no doubt concerning that which Allah and his messenger stated, but you on the other hand question how Allah Ta'ala can do this, that ...

You talk as if I said 'How DARE Allah do something like that?'... Astaghfirullah. I was simply asking a question, not questioning Allah () himself - I would never dare to intentionally do something as foolish as that. Is it no different than a student asking his teacher to explain something to him?

The Inferiority complex of some Muslims is quite disgraceful
    What's with the insults, brother? I may not remember the Hadith, but didn't the Prophet classify saying things like that as slander/back-biting? Forgive me if I am mistaken, but my "false allegations" were simply me saying that there is nothing wrong with someone striving to learn more about Islam... even if it's understanding a small Hadith like the one in question - something which you basically condemned me for doing by agreeing with Wave&Smile when he said:

In a nutshell, I am showing you are downright wrong, and in fact arrogant, for calling people who just so happen to be more skeptical than you are, people with an "Inferiority complex". Wanting to know the meaning of a Hadith so I can also explain it to a kafir in the hope that I can bring them closer to Islam does not mean I have an inferiorty complex.

If I have misunderstood what you said, then I apologize. This is a pointless argument anyway - neither of us benefit from continuing it. It is best that we just let it die. I have learnt the meaning of this Hadith, which is all I ever wanted. No point continuing now.

As-Salamu Alaykum.